• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Showcase | 10.20.2022

March Climber

Gold Member
Leon's voice actor feels like he's rushing through his lines and I'm not a fan of that delivery style. He did a great job in RE2:R so the direction is the problem.
Ada's voice actor sounds like she has a cold.

Everything else looks fantastic, and I'm glad they're doing more than just 1:1 work. The biggest changes I want to see involve the second half of the game. Krauser, Mike, underground section, some odd bosses, backtracking, and The Island. There's so much that can be improved and changed for the better in the second half.

My hope is that they do just two more games after this(5 and 6) because those two really need to be redone the most.

Banned
They want to sell the game for people who get motion sickness from 1st person person perspective

well if that's one of the markets they're trying to get then... MAYBE INCLUDE A FUCKING FOV SLIDER NEXT TIME YOU FUCKHEADS!!! is what I would suggest 🤣

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ada looked off though but that maybe the angle and they can't seem to make up their mind what race Ingrid Hunnigan is
kDTCIKk.png
PYctier.jpg
Fe5JJ9k.jpg

Still hot though
She looks great. What race? who cares
Anyone knows if gold edition is game + dlc code or full on disc ?

GHG

and the later ones with free games made by indy devs on those black PS1 Net Yaroze systems... they usually weren't all that amazing, but a neat bonus.
I still remember Terra Incognita, which was a pretty substantial RPG...

Some of the net yaroze games were incredible at the time considering most were made by one men dev teams. Spent so much time playing Pushy and that sensible soccer rip off.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I agree. Lets shut this thread down. No one has played the game. Burn down gaf. Whats the point in talking about games we havent played.
It's alright to be critical I am too but I think what people mean is lately you been a bit of a Victor Meldrew.

Arachnid

Fucking amazing. Leon is still a combat rolling/roundhouse kicking chad, and now he parries chainsaws with his knife.

Dr. Salvador is perfection. Poor man has lost a bit of muscle mass, but that's fine. I felt kind of robbed that they ended on the parry instead of the decapitation it all felt like it was building towards. Should have gone balls out.

My boy Salazar is back and intact! Large and in charge! Conniving and thriving! He's perfect!

Also, "Bill me for the repairs later." Fucking LMAO he still has his one liners! And now he casually drops them during gameplay depending on what you do. Amazing. Nick did good with his new version of Leons voice. Good evolution from RE2make. Fun fact: He took lessons from Paul Mercier to accurately translate OG Leons voice and swagger.

NuLuis looks like a creep and doesn't have his Dante style swave. Also not a fan of NuAdas voice or look (which is fine, since I've never been a fan of Ada; that said, OG RE4 Ada was the only interpretation that I somewhat liked)

This looks like it'll be a lot more faithful than I expected. Not as much of the horror tone as I was hoping for, but it's alright. I was good with either choice.

EDIT: AND WHERE TF IS MY COLLECTORS EDITION PREORDER

Last edited:

Fake

Leon can jump down a 10m high ladder in the original, I think parrying a chainsaw isn't far off in terms of realism lol

He can jump 10m and still take damage. Its up to the devs.

But parry never was a thing in RE4, so I not following your point.

There is no need to parry a chainsaw at all. The Chainsaw dude usually is a 'must run' foe. Looks like he is less agressive in that way.

Last edited:

Banned
He can jump 10m and still take damage. Its up to the devs.

But parry never was a thing in RE4, so I not following your point.

There is no need to parry a chainsaw at all. The Chainsaw dude usually is a 'must run' foe. Looks like he is less agressive in that way.

well I assume the parry mechanic will be tied to the difficulty, same with how aggressive the enemies are.
I assume the parry timing will be pretty strict in higher modes and enemies will be way more aggressive

Last edited:

anthony2690

I agree. Lets shut this thread down. No one has played the game. Burn down gaf. Whats the point in talking about games we havent played.
You're pretty melodramatic/extreme with your reaction. 🤷‍♂️

I pointed out you can't possibly know how the game feels if you haven't played it.

You could say it looks slower/weightier or whatever you was trying to imply.

But saying something feels, usually means firsthand impressions.

What you none of us here have, as far as I am aware.

Regardless that non of us have played it, there is plenty to talk about.

Story differences, look of the settings, differences, new mechanics and plenty more.

Most of us here have been gaming for 30+ years. I don't need to play a game to know how it feels. Can tell right away it wont play as good as TLOU 2. Thats not a slight. TLOU 2 re-shaped the genre as RE4 did back in 2004.
Every bit off offence but I've seen your 30fps love crusade, so I already know you don't know what feels good or bad. ❤️

SSfox

Still no Mercenaries confirmados tho, that would be a big L if they don't plan to put Merc in RE4. (Can't care about that RE verse thing)

All that RE4 village footage and they don’t end it with the “bingo” line? Come on, man.
That's good thing, you'll experience it yourself.

Reactions: Isa

Saber

Gold Member
well I assume the parry mechanic will be tied to the difficulty, same with how aggressive the enemies are.
I assume the parry timing will be pretty strict in higher modes and enemies will be way more aggressive

Its not like a dealbreaker to me, but sound to me that chainsaw guy is supposed to be a high threat, not some small fry you can parry just like that. The video showing Leon being grabbed while being in the way of chainsaw attack partern wasn't made just for show. Its a clear image of what not to do when facing him.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
NOBODY will pay a single penny for RE:Verse, should have made it F2P at least it would keep the community alive, or at least give half a chance at life.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Let me guess... nothing for us fixed camera old heads right? I think they will do a second person shooter before a fixed camera game. No need for this remake with the PC ultimate edition and the massive spanish mod (A.k.a RE4 ole tus huevos edition)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Let me guess... nothing for us fixed camera old heads right? I think they will do a second person shooter before a fixed camera game. No need for this remake with the PC ultimate edition and the massive spanish mod (A.k.a RE4 ole tus huevos edition)

No, not sure why you would expect them to remake an over the shoulder perspective game into a fixed perspective game.

Banned
Its not like a dealbreaker to me, but sound to me that chainsaw guy is supposed to be a high threat, not some small fry you can parry just like that. The video showing Leon being grabbed while being in the way of chainsaw attack partern wasn't made just for show. Its a clear image of what not to do when facing him.

it's hard to judge how dangerous any given enemy type is in gameplay demos like that.
these are often played over and over again to show specific moments, and they are played on settings we don't know etc.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now that he's still a thread in the final game

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Which part of this is an a melodramatic overreaction?

Meh. Part of me wants to praise them for doing a real remake and not an asset flip like TLOU, but the changes here dont feel that great. The AI is still dumb. The characters move like they are in slow motion. It feels clunkier as fuck compared to TLOU2. I loved RE2 when it came out but no shame in admitting that TLOU2's combat completely changed the genre. I know they are different games but RE4 was always a more action oriented game than its predecessors so I was hoping for a complete combat revamp. All I got was a bunch of QTE sequences and one roundhouse kick animation. Yay? I feel like the series has regressed since RE6 which had its issues but at least they were trying to take third person combat to another level. Simply running, stopping, shooting and running again is getting old in 2023.
The game still looks good despite being cross gen. Especially outdoors even in that shitty stream quality. Still not as impressive as Silent Hill, but thats the price you pay for tying yourself to last gen 3 years after launch.
Competent reveal. Nothing awe-inspiring.

I praise the game's visuals. I praise them going above and beyond what TLOU, DS and other remakes have done lately. I point out that I loved their previous remakes then gave my reasons as to why the game looks/feels clunky compared to TLOU2. Nothing about this is extreme. People are out here literally jizzing their pants over this game and you call my post extreme? Bizarre.

If I had said it looks like cross gen trash or it plays like shit and left without giving my reasoning then fine. Call that extreme. That post is like the most vanilla criticism of the game you'll read in this thread.

SSfox

RE4make was OK. The only thing that sounds off is Leon parrying a Chainsaw?

Nothing against parry, combat knife should be OK parrying fork and others things, but parrying a chainsaw was too far.

Being able to parry the chainsaw sucks.
That shit should be a one-hit kill.
Yeah, so i'm not the only one that think this.

I mean i didn't play the new game, but it was part of its charm Chainsaw would OS you, that's what make it so scarier compare to those normal ennemies, making him not OS will just turn him into another normal ennemies... with a bit more HP, i guess.

But i'm just saying, maybe if he will be hard to parry it can make, hum... idk

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have a feeling they will skip the island and I really loved its feel With labs, miniguns and regenerators.
Anytime found anything that looks like Island?

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

tommib

Gold Member
I have a feeling they will skip the island and I really loved its feel With labs, miniguns and regenerators.
I have a feeling they won’t skip anything. They added sections to the first house you enter.

• Thoughtful

Fake

Very unlikely. I prefer to believe would be either a 'classic mode' or 'modern'.

Anw. Sounds off. I prefer to the Chainsaw dude to be the most fear enemy in the group there.

Yeah, so i'm not the only one that think this.

I mean i didn't play the new game, but it was part of its charm Chainsaw would OS you, that's what make it so scarier compare to those normal ennemies, making him not OS will just turn him into another normal ennemies... with a bit more HP, i guess.

But i'm just saying, maybe if he will be hard to parry it can make, hum... idk

Hard or not, still very anti-climatic to a horror game to be parrying... if they still want to take a different route from original RE4.

Again, I not against the parry system. Looks nice to parry some normal enemies, but heavy one is kinda out of place, hard or not.

anthony2690

Which part of this is an a melodramatic overreaction?

I praise the game's visuals. I praise them going above and beyond what TLOU, DS and other remakes have done lately. I point out that I loved their previous remakes then gave my reasons as to why the game looks/feels clunky compared to TLOU2. Nothing about this is extreme. People are out here literally jizzing their pants over this game and you call my post extreme? Bizarre.

If I had said it looks like cross gen trash or it plays like shit and left without giving my reasoning then fine. Call that extreme. That post is like the most vanilla criticism of the game you'll read in this thread.

I was clearly referring to this post below & not your first post, this was even the post I replied too when I said you was acting a little extreme/melodramatic/over reaction. 🤷‍♂️

Anyway not worth arguing over something so trivial, hopefully the end product turns out great.

Last edited:

anthony2690

I don't think they will, they got quite a lot of backlash for missing areas in re3 like the clocktower.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Every bit off offence but I've seen your 30fps love crusade, so I already know you don't know what feels good or bad. ❤️
Trailer was captured in 30fps my dude. So you too have a love crusade for 30fs <3

And whats to be offended at?

Will this game let me go prone? Can I dodge? Will enemies beg me for their lives before I put a machete to their skull? Hows the hit reaction? Will each bullet effect each body part differently? Will skin fragments stick to walls after I cut someone up? Is the Enemy AI tops in the industry? Leon can jump roll through a window no problem in a cutscene, but is there any verticality in gameplay? TLOU 2 is a masterclass at blending intensity, brutality, realism, visceral nature, hit reaction, enemy AI, controls, animation, physics, graphics, NPC voice acting, dialogue and feel all perfectly.

In this gameplay demo you saw a roundhouse kick and some QTE's.

And im not even saying it looks bad. Just that it might feel stiff in comparison.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

RE4 is their baby, they will go above and beyond to make sure it doesn't get received negatively like RE3make.

Arachnid

After looking at it more, I'd hate to say it, but I'm not a fan of Leon's new Agent outfit. It's baggy instead of the skin tight stealth suit look it had before. Not a fan of the v-neck part edition either. I like the new baggier version of the jacket with the larger fur around the neck though.

God, I hope not. I didn't see anything pointing towards it in the trailer. Redo it to make it scarier, but don't get rid of it. I want my boi Krauser, my knife fight, and the laser hallway. That's all Island.

EDIT: Also, for anyone who hasn't seen it, here's concept art of Wesker. They brought back DC Douglas (RE5) and he leaked this claiming it's from the RE4 remake.

FFPFuS_WYAUqegx

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
After looking at it more, I'd hate to say it, but I'm not a fan of Leon's new Agent outfit. It's baggy instead of the skin tight stealth suit look it had before. Not a fan of the v-neck part edition either. I like the new baggier version of the jacket with the larger fur around the neck though.
Why do we keep liking and disliking the same things.
This Could Be Us Love GIF by MOODMAN

ksdixon

If the industry would parlay these little trailer showcase events at regular cadence (thinking of SH+RE combo here) over into rolling Dev Diaries of regular cadence, I'd be a lot happier.

Games Journalism could take on more discussion and debate form, rather than dwell on rumors and clickbate and false outrage, as there'd be more positive news in form of game updates.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
930543-D9-56-D0-4-DAF-8942-E418078-CD0-ED.jpg

Fingers crossed Capcom optimizes this game for the Steam Deck.
RE4?
I think it will be fine.
I know some said they thought it looked better then Silent Hill 2 but I think overall it just looks really good but you could see the low Res textures that shows its lastgen roots
And it nowhere near the fidelity & detail on show with Silent Hill 2
I'm sure their first NextGen only game will blow it out the water.
But this is just really great art direction with what they got to work with.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little

I pointed out you can't possibly know how the game feels if you haven't played it.

You could say it looks slower/weightier or whatever you was trying to imply.

But saying something feels, usually means firsthand impressions.

What you none of us here have, as far as I am aware.

Regardless that non of us have played it, there is plenty to talk about.

Story differences, look of the settings, differences, new mechanics and plenty more.

I agree one needs to play a game to really know this, but I also agree with from what we see anyway....its unlikely to match what was done with The Last Of Us 2. I'd love to be wrong on that btw as RE4 remake is a day 1 for me.

TLOU2 is out here fucking chasing MGS fame with stealth, fluid controls, AI etc. The first game could barely even match RE4 or 5 or Dead Space or something, but its sequel literally surpassing anything thats out right now.

So the leap from 1 to 2 is massive, I'd argue as massive as from RE1 to RE4 if not even more.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
NOBODY will pay a single penny for RE:Verse, should have made it F2P at least it would keep the community alive, or at least give half a chance at life.

Already came included with your copy of RE8. Its just that it took them this long to finally release it lol

I agree it will die quickly considering it comes out the same day as *checks notes* motherfucking Call of Duty.

Top Bottom