• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Results to "GAF's Greatest Games of All Time 2011 Edition"

Danielsan

Pretty good to see Shadow of the Colossus so high up there. Forgot to partake in the vote. Would have made it my number one.

Vaporak

Vinci said:
One PC title in the Top 10?

One??

This should not be a surprising outcome, GAF is extremely console centric. I'm pretty sure the only reason HL2 is in the top 10 is because of the console release of the Orange Box.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
John said:
@dr kirby: did you consolidate all half-life 2 episodes votes into half-life 2?
Actually no, I did not this time. Only Episode 2 even came up, and it got 6 votes, and a score of 33.

Vinci

Danish
badcrumble said:
Tetris... isn't... actually... Russian...?

:(

Well, the list seems more predicated on the following critieria: Japanese / Not Japanese. I mean, why be picky with geography when it's so hard to find something that didn't come from that single country?

Mashing

Vinci said:
It's still crazy. I mean, yes, admittedly this is something of a popularity contest and Nintendo's titles have sold enormously... but one PC title in the Top 10? Are PC gamers on this forum that much of a minority?

They're probably about a 10% of the total userbase of NeoGAF.

Requeim

Gravijah said:
W>3 is officially a fact. No disputin' the science.

The only science here is the poor taste of the Neogaf forum. How anyone can think that SMW, sandwiched between the two best platformers of all time, is better than either of those, is beyond me.

Green Scar said:
Can we at least agree that All Stars 3 has much better graphics than World?

That's not saying much, All stars 3 has terrible graphics, and so does world. Nes version or gtfo

Green Scar said:
Sorry, what? Couldn't hear you over the sound of Tanooki's Shoe

That's Tanooki Suit and Kuribo's Shoe

Requeim said:
The only science here is the poor taste of the Neogaf forum. How anyone can think that SMW, sandwiched between the two best platformers of all time, is better than either of those, is beyond me.
It's got super tight controls and level design... it's just that it's got so little variety compared to SMB3 or Yoshi's Island.

ryan-ts

4 #1 votes for Links Awakening! I'm so proud of myself....and three other people.

ALERT* Xenogears listed twice in the total cumulative score list at 125.

Guevara

Code:
Super Mario Galaxy								64
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves							55
Super Mario Galaxy 2								36
Mass Effect									29
Portal										27
Demon's Souls									25
BioShock									24
Mass Effect 2									23
Red Dead Redemption								23

The games from this gen that made the list. Interesting to say the least. I am honestly surprised by a few. It's also amazing that two games (SMG and ME) are listed along with their sequels.

EDIT: Also, from this gen only SMG and SMG2 received more than 3 #1 votes.

I appreciate the work that went into it but so many things about this list enrages me. In particular, I'm surprised and appalled that MGS3 finished out of the top 10. And no Thief games. And OoT on top. SMW ahead of SMB3. Bioshock is there, yet System Shock 2 isn't? Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 not on top? And unless I'm mistaken, not a single game from a Sega platform? Soooo angry arggggh

Gravijah

Requeim said:

I voted Yoshi's Island #1 actually.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Pretty standard list, but Deus Ex is like around #20 or so. Unacceptable, especially considering some of the games above it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
people who are bitching about the results had better have voted

people who voted and are still bitching about the results should just pretend their top 10 won

peakish

Guevara said:
Code:
Super Mario Galaxy								64
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves							55
Super Mario Galaxy 2								36
Mass Effect									29
Portal										27
Demon's Souls									25
BioShock									24
Mass Effect 2									23
Red Dead Redemption								23

The games from this gen that made the list. Interesting to say the least. I am honestly surprised by a few. It's also amazing that two games (SMG and ME) are listed along with their sequels.

EDIT: Also, from this gen only SMG and SMG2 received more than 3 #1 votes.
It's always interesting how quickly modern games drop down in lists like these but this seems like a decent list of this gen.

Gravijah

Stumpokapow said:

people who voted and are still bitching about the results should just pretend their top 10 won

you should have hacked the results and put legend of mana higher ;(

Vinci

Danish
Stumpokapow said:

I don't ever recall seeing the vote. That said, I'll stop bitching.

John

welp, using the spreadsheet i know that i was the highest voter of bloodlines, episode 2, ratchet crack in time, the darkness (only vote!), and painkiller. i am so eclectic and obscure

Uncharted 2 is well placed. I just finished it today, and whilst I kinda get an Avatar vibe from the ending, that game is just... wow. Much like RE4, it's the perfect rollercoaster ride, brilliant gunplay mixed with great level and set-piece design. Deserves its place.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
oracrest said:
Not bad. Holding it's own up there with other time tested classics.
Most of those time tested classics will also be up there next year, and the following year. Normally in similar spots. It has a wall to climb.

Only one 2010 title makes me happy, and one that was at least a few months old.

I didn't vote (forgot to! sorry) -- Pretty awesome list, only thing I'm disappointed about is the original Legend of Zelda not getting on there, but I'll have to make do with the fact that Majora's Mask was ranked so highly (and that so many other Zelda games are on there).

Also I'm proud of GAF for putting Final Fantasy VI above Final Fantasy VII.

I still think TP is the best Zelda game.

(may have something to do with the fact that it was my first zelda. After I played it went back and played the others. None were close imo)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Uncharted 2 over Yoshi's Island? You people make me sick.

At least the top ten is sensible.

Guevara

shintoki said:
Most of those time tested classics will also be up there next year, and the following year. Normally in similar spots. It has a wall to climb.

Only one 2010 title makes me happy, and one that was at least a few months old.
?
Red Dead Redemption
Mass Effect 2
Mario Galaxy 2

Seda

06nbarnhill said:
I still think TP is the best Zelda game.

(may have something to do with the fact that it was my first zelda. After I played it went back and played the others. None were close imo)

That's very likely the reason why OoT is so highly regarded.

My favorite Zelda game usually ends up being whichever one was the latest that I've played through, haha.

I know some GAFers feel it was a disappointment but, KOTOR holds a special place in my heart. I'm disappointed to see it not make the weighted list.

Empty

apana said:
OoT is the correct choice for first place. No system shock 2 in the top ten?

system shock 2 is hampered by lack of availability. if it were on steam it'd probably be near deus ex, potrted to xbla/psn then maybe even higher.

Zophar

I didn't vote this time around but pretty interesting to see Uncharted 2 still pretty high up there, considering what huge shitstorm it was last time around with people arguing that it was the result of people still being in the honeymoon period with it and overstating its staying power.

tiff

Banned
Seda said:
It probably is in my case, though as time passes I've toyed with the idea of Majora's Mask being better.

peakish

Seda said:

My favorite Zelda game usually ends up being whichever one was the latest that I've played through, haha.
It was also the first of the modern type of Zelda games, taking a huge leap from LTTP visually and presentation-wise. A common complaint against newer Zelda's is that they haven't remade the formula as much as OOT did, just refined it (though regardless a lot of people prefer WW and MM to it obviously).

I'm guessing that both that and the first-in-the-series contributes, which is what puts OOT so high on every list. But these are just some anecdotal thoughts from one who places OOT higher than the other games but were introduced to the series with LTTP.

consoul

Glad to see RE4 getting the recognition it deserves.
Hard to believe it's more than six years old. Still a blast from start to finish.

So do GAF get a shout-out on the boxart of OoT3D or what?

I have no issue with the results, it's just that from now on GAF GGOAT! will what the less than %1 who voted think. From there only some of those voters actually vote OOT as the number one. I don't think Greatest game ever is something that can be determined.

Well, 4 of my own Top 10 is also on GAF's collective Top 10 so I can't complain too much.

Ocarina is not my favourite game, but I can understand it winning these lists. Can anything ever top it? Oh and I glad to see RE4 so high up. Deserves it.

Top Bottom