• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Results to "GAF's Greatest Games of All Time 2011 Edition"

Atomski

Requeim said:
The only science here is the poor taste of the Neogaf forum. How anyone can think that SMW, sandwiched between the two best platformers of all time, is better than either of those, is beyond me.

Didn't even Miyamoto say he favored SMW over 3?

Instro

Pretty solid list, theres a ton of PC games that are missing or too low. Civilization 4 not even making the list is really surprising, would have thought that would be a shoe in for top 15 at least.

Omikron

Instro said:
Pretty solid list, theres a ton of PC games that are missing or too low. Civilization 4 not even making the list is really surprising, would have thought that would be a shoe in for top 15 at least.

I think it just shows off how console centric this place is in general rather than being particularly surprising.

System Shock 2 the other absolutely glaring omission for mine, miles better than the Bioshock games for a start.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
SMG's huge drop (I think) has a lot to do with the fact that SMG2 came out and split the vote. Notice that people tend to put forward only one game from each series?
Yeah, pretty much.

Did Deus Ex drop? Way too many Mario games in the top 10 (I love them but they don't impact me) and Team ICO continues to be a sacred cow. It is totally unrepresentative of my taste.

sam27368

Banned
I'm surprised Counter Strike isn't on there, it's a good list and all.. but it feels as though it's lacking something.

I think (like myself) people voted in the rush of the moment instead of really thinking about games they've played over the last however many years

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ended up being a shitty list after all. lol nostalgia

GhaleonQ

I know it would be impossible, but I'd love for there to be a real, curated NeoGAF list. Take the top 30% of posters (either by voting in people, counting posts, counting time spent/joined, something), have them do a top 50, make people play some amount of listed games they haven't, and then either have people get debating/voting or allow people to spend votes on vetoes to get divisive fanboy stuff off of it.

I'm not sure it would work well outside of small publications, but the process could use checks and balances.

sam27368

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
I know it would be impossible, but I'd love for there to be a real, curated NeoGAF list. Take the top 30% of posters (either by voting in people, counting posts, counting time spent/joined, something), have them do a top 50, make people play some amount of listed games they haven't, and then either have people get debating/voting or allow people to spend votes on vetoes to get divisive fanboy stuff off of it.

I'm not sure it would work well outside of small publications, but the process could use checks and balances.

Some kind of imdb system for games would be quite nice. Whilst it would get wrapped up in fanboy cliche, it would also be cool to have a proper database for every game ever made.

Omikron

GhaleonQ said:

Heh. The more posts the more your vote is worth!

Brak

Instro said:
I voted for Alpha Centauri since that is the best game of all time. Civ 4 is mediocre in comparison. :p

ZZMitch

GAF does't like the games I like!

:(

Except Super Mario Galaxy and Halo.

No Mario Kart, Minecraft or Red Alert makes me very sad.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
BobTheFork said:
I have no issue with the results, it's just that from now on GAF GGOAT! will what the less than %1 who voted think. From there only some of those voters actually vote OOT as the number one. I don't think Greatest game ever is something that can be determined.
You don't need more votes to get a sample of a group. Any statistics class will show you that you only need a fairly small sample to represent a group. With a current tally of 62228 members, To have a Confidence Level of 95% and a 5% Confidence Interval, you only need 382 votes.

Drkirby said:
You don't need more votes to get a sample of a group. Any statistics class will show you that you only need a fairly small sample to represent a group. With a current tally of 62228 members, To have a Confidence Level of 95% and a 5% Confidence Interval, you only need 382 votes.
Yeah, but another thing I remember from my statistics classes is that larger samples are always better when practical. Increasing the sample size is the easiest way to increase confidence.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
cooljeanius said:
Yeah, but another thing I remember from my statistics classes is that larger samples are always better when practical. Increasing the sample size is the easiest way to increase confidence.
It is, but you can't force people to vote. I am just saying there is enough votes for the results to be valid.

badcrumble said:
It's got super tight controls and level design... it's just that it's got so little variety compared to SMB3 or Yoshi's Island.

The controls were tight enough on 3. World just added extreme downward glide time to the game's flight powerup variant, to the point where sticking landings became a non-challenge. And the level design put too much emphasis on exploration and not enough on platforming.

Opiate

Disproportionately single player and disproportionately console centric relative the general populace. Those seem to be common traits among "core" gamers in virtually all arenas (game sites, magazines, etc.)

Not that any of these are bad games, mind you.

olimpia84

I'm fine with the results, they're all great games. Glad to see OOT at the top, it truly is the best game ever made and gaf knows it.

Acosta

One of the first ten (and my list was basically composed of PC games), and that is Super Mario World, clearly showing which one is the superior game.

Miyamoto says that Super Mario World is the best one.
GAF agrees.

DealWithIt.gif

Solid list, but I'm surprised at the low turnout.

Drkirby said:
It is, but you can't force people to vote. I am just saying there is enough votes for the results to be valid.
Oh right, I suppose it being a self-selected sample does make the whole thing moot...

Requeim

cartman414 said:
The controls were tight enough on 3. World just added extreme downward glide time to the game's flight powerup variant, to the point where sticking landings became a non-challenge. And the level design put too much emphasis on exploration and not enough on platforming.

Nailed it

Acosta

cartman414 said:

Aaahh, but see, that is exactly what makes Super Mario World special, and better.

Opiate said:
Disproportionately single player and disproportionately console centric relative the general populace. Those seem to be common traits among "core" gamers in virtually all arenas (game sites, magazines, etc.)

Not that any of these are bad games, mind you.
Players who prefer multiplayer gaming are off playing their MP games of choice rather than voting in forum polls :p

Acosta said:
Aaahh, but see, that is exactly what makes Super Mario World special, and better.

Here's the rub: Mario, with his largely jump oriented moveset, flourishes in the pantheon of quick precision platforming, but is miscast in the exploration department. Super Mario World tilts too heavily towards the latter, in addition to other things missing from its predecessor.

Now Yoshi from Yoshi's Island, not to mention Wario in the Wario Land spinoff series, are better fits for the exploration platforming subgenre.

Requeim

cartman414 said:
Here's the rub: Mario, with his largely jump oriented moveset, flourishes in the pantheon of quick precision platforming, but is miscast in the exploration department. Super Mario World tilts too heavily towards the latter, in addition to other things missing from its predecessor.

Now Yoshi from Yoshi's Island, not to mention Wario in the Wario Land spinoff series, are better fits for the exploration platforming subgenre.

<3

GhaleonQ

cartman414 said:

Even with Yoshi? Even with the Cape Feather? Even with the reserve Item Box? Even with the Spin Jump? Those 4 are critical to encouraging exploration and balancing risk and reward, and I think the team knew that.

What's a 2-d character/engine designed for exploration? (I assume Yoshi and Wario are simply "better," not "great.")

Drkirby said:
Doesn't that apply to the idea that everyone voted? You need to sample 382 to determine what the 60k voted as total with confidence. I didn't think that could be used to determine the opinion of another 60k people who didn't care enough to vote.

The people who didn't vote voted for 'no greatest game'. The winner here should be that there is no greatest game.

GhaleonQ said:
Even with Yoshi? Even with the Cape Feather? Even with the reserve Item Box? Even with the Spin Jump? Those 4 are critical to encouraging exploration and balancing risk and reward, and I think the team knew that.

What's a 2-d character/engine designed for exploration? (I assume Yoshi and Wario are simply "better," not "great.")

What I mean is that Mario is more fun and challenging to play in a fast platforming environment, since the mechanics in his games are not as deep to begin with, and are better accommodated towards fast platforming.

With Super Mario World, that pacing is sort of lost, and Mario becomes a bit more of an errand boy, for lack of better way to put it. And the 4 elements you just mentioned - two powerups, another a platforming move and the other an alternative to the Mario 3 inventory - could have fit in any of the other less-exploration oriented Mario games as well.

I just wondered there is so many important game if we create list not based on favorite game of ours but games that had impact like tetris, pacman, snake or doom etc

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
A genre specific contest would be neat (other than RPG's, that's been done).

I'd like to see the results of a Greatest FPS of All Time contest, that would be fun.

Top Bottom