• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retailer puts warning notice on PS5s: ‘Microsoft has bought Activision!’

Mess

Unless it's fake it's prolly an attempt to get rid of an XBox stock. CoD is not as big in France as if seems to be in most places and the french barely acknowledge the existance of xbox...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You mean like millions upon millions of people do, you do realize how many games Activision sells don't you?
Games....or units?
That can mean two things
1( They sell many units of one game.
2) They only sell one game

Both are correct🤣

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I’ve fortunately never worked in retail. But yeah, if I owned a shop I would be sacking employees if they wantonly prevented sales
I've had 12 years in retail 😟
You'd be surprised what you have shitty rules they have.
I once got a disciplinary because as was about to go on lunch & I took an item to counter and said I was going to buy it and I was just going to get my wallet from my locker
Between that time? The item was confiscated and I was told to report to the manager after my break.
It wasn't the last one so I still got one, just went back and picked up another one
But apparently THAT was classed as withholding sales.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
I once got a disciplinary because as was about to go on lunch & I took item to counter and said I was going to buy it and I was just going to get my wallet from my locker
Between that time? The item was confiscated and I was told to report to the manager after my break.
It wasn't the last one so I still got one, just went back and picked up another one
Fucked up

Fare thee well

Neophyte
So he is warning people about game availability changes due to major company buyouts? And doing it against his monetary interest for customer awareness? At least that's what it looks like to me.

Also fuck man. If I saw a store with both xbox and playstation just chillin for sale, I'd buy both. Where is this paradise? 😄

I once got a disciplinary because as was about to go on lunch & I took an item to counter and said I was going to buy it and I was just going to get my wallet from my locker

That makes no sense to me. Pretty shitty that they did that to you.

Kerotan

They have PS5 to buy?
I only ever saw Xbox series at FNAC
France is heavily dominated by playstation. The call of duty brand will suffer there if it ever leaves playstation.

I know pc is an option but playstation players are used to non crossplay lobbies and would rather not play if they were forced against the PC hackers.

Marvel14

Banned
begun the clone war has GIF by Star Wars

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

as someone who was in retail, get out when you can!

i was a manager in gamestation then I moved to game and finally to Grainger games for a short time which included the launch of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox one….I had this one employee who would actively try and talk customers out of buying the Xbox one…even when they had pre ordered it…he would literally make smarmy comments and say stuff like “what are you doing you should buy a PS4 don’t you know x game is 720p on Xbox one?” Even when the customers said stuff like I want to play dead rising 3 and forza he would scoff at them….I used to have to discipline him all too often.

the worst part is I agreed at the time that people should buy a PS4 at first but tbh the Xbox had a better launch line up of exclusives for probably the first year.

man that guy was an intense nerd….lol he was ok though just a hardcore fan.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Guess it could be illegal as that phrasing isn't exactly true. Technically Microsoft hasn't purchased anything and they have only signed a letter of intent to purchase.

Don't think this is real. If it is, meh, whatever. Much ado about nothing. Pretty dumb either way by the retailer.

nush

Gold Member
That makes no sense to me. Pretty shitty that they did that to you.

Shitty management at retail is a common thing, power tripping jobsworths at the peak of their entire working career. I spotted a few of them I'd worked with years later, still working in shitty retail or similar jobs.

TonyK

As no brick and mortar stores have PS5 they want to sell the stock of Xbox Series S that fill the shelves.

Banned
Based on your stats from the other day, it's not a popular multiplayer game.

It's 19th. 😉

#13 my dude. Warzone, you know the Battle Royale, is part of Modern Warfare and is therefore tracked as such.

all the other CoD games since then are tied into Warzone and therefore Modern Warfare. you basically have to combine the playerbase of whatever the newest CoD is (in this case Vanguard) and that of Modern Warfare as they are both closely connected and you can unlock weapons for Warzone in Vanguard (and the other way around I think... or at leats weapon attachments can be unlocked for the Vanguard Weapons you use)

this is how it looks starting a modern Cod game, since they all tie into Warzone many play all of them to unlock weapons for their loadouts in Warzone and stuff like that

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I don’t believe the overall store administration did that but actual local representative employee sometimes are very weird guys full of bias.

If the company management knows that the local guy is probably fired.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
#13 my dude. Warzone, you know the Battle Royale, is part of Modern Warfare and is therefore tracked as such.

all the other CoD games since then are tied into Warzone and therefore Modern Warfare. you basically have to combine the playerbase of whatever the newest CoD is (in this case Vanguard) and that of Modern Warfare as they are both closely connected and you can unlock weapons for Warzone in Vanguard (and the other way around I think... or at leats weapon attachments can be unlocked for the Vanguard Weapons you use)

this is how it looks starting a modern Cod game, since they all tie into Warzone many play all of them to unlock weapons for their loadouts in Warzone and stuff like that

My post wasn't serious. I was being sarcastic.

This stat is based don't just 12.5k players and he used it to prove a game wasn't popular online, even years after a game was released. Only 12.5k out of 120 million+ are taking part in this tracking website, not the entire install base.

Concern

Beat me to it. Poor guy is in every thread trying to bait.

Relativ9

The people who work in these stores usually aren't the brightest, and usually not above console warring. I managed a GameStop for a few years in my early 20s, and we had one part timer who put stickynotes on all our gameguides saying "toilet reading for noobs".

I would bet this is one employee acting on his own.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Let me respond to this again.

A thread was made on Resetera an hour ago.

The exact comment I was referring to was linked.

You guys seriously get so defensive on here.
And I'm supposed to believe this one random person on a forum? Nah. Calling bullshit. Just damage control on his part I'm betting

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Gotta say that's quite a neat gesture from the store to remind the players, so they wouldn't suffer buyer remorse from buying a PS5

Why would you do this? What do they care after you’ve walked out of the store?

As if a customer is going to come back demanding a refund because of that…
You wouldn't. Like everything in the modern era, I'd be willing to bet it's completely staged. Fanboys on both sides are everywhere. Someone who loves their Xbox a little more than your average fella probably threw this up and snapped a photo then removed it before his boss caught wind.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Fired for what? Making Snoy fans online mad?
… and a typo here.

;). Pretty sure that store has policies around placing signs like this in front of merchandise. Not even COD going exclusive would be grounds for this because it would not impact returns to store: by the time it becomes exclusive the user would have to return to Sony not the store they bought the console from.

Celine

CoD is not as big in France as if seems to be in most places and the french barely acknowledge the existance of xbox...
French know about Xbox, it's just that most of 'em prefer others brand (but Xbox isn't a non factor like in Japan).
Call of Duty is also quite popular in France.

Console sales in France in 2021
NSW: 1.23M
PS5: 0.60M
XBS: 0.21M

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
And I'm supposed to believe this one random person on a forum? Nah. Calling bullshit. Just damage control on his part I'm betting

Again, that place creates their own reality. They still pretend that the guy who sold them off and ran wasn't a convicted homophobe.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Let me see. They have 0 PS5s in the store and sell out within minutes, similar for XSXs, but they have some XSSs. Isn't this sign just lame, manipulative advertising for the XSSs sitting in the next case?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I’m about 99% everything after 2023 will be exclusively.

There’s no reason to leave it multi , you guys are doing the same thing again as with Beth. It’s going exclusive
This is not true. The 2 situations are not the same. COD games sell every year and have established communities on each platform. MS needs to consider how they handle this, because they inherit PS5 COD players as customers. Moving COD to Xbox exclusively does not guarantee that a significant % of those customers would switch platforms after having a PS5 for a couple of years. Second Annual COD games sell more copies collectively than the 1 or 2 Bethesda RPGs that get released each gen. The sales COD generates was a big part of the price MS payed.

I expect MS to make these games exclusive at some point, but probably not in the middle of a generation. If they do, it will depend a lot on the current state of the industry in 2024 and beyond.

Top Bottom