• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retailer puts warning notice on PS5s: ‘Microsoft has bought Activision!’

Chukhopops

I guess the single troll worker who put it there had their fun on their way out the door when fired, cause that is a lot of Switch and PS stock on the shelves and very few xbox stock that their normal customer base (PS and Switch) won't ever touch.
This isn’t the US, I doubt you would get fired for that in France. People get so weirdly emotional about this, I wonder why?

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
This isn’t the US, I doubt you would get fired for that in France. People get so weirdly emotional about this, I wonder why?

There certainly is room for disciplinary action even in Europe. To what extent, depends on the chain and its rules, but I wouldn't exclude a dismissal or demotion. Using the company letterhead for personal stuff is definitely frowned upon, especially if it risks putting the company in a bad light with a partner (in this case, sony or its distributors).

Do keep in mind that any employee could have done this. It doesn't even need to be the store manager. Likely anyone who has access to the office has access to the printer and the company letterhead. Considering that there's only a single dude who posted about it, it's likely that the message (if it wasn't a staged joke) wasn't up long anyway.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
They do realize the casual shopper doesn't know what an Activison is, but I do like it its probably what the average to hardcore gamer is thinking now, losing Activision is terrible for SONY.

Honestly just a dumb sign. People should know what they're spending their money on. Its on them if they dont know.

Who would think a piece of paper would cause all of this outrage. Sad really

Honestly big retailers like Best Buy should do the same. It would help avoid the inevitable massive amounts of people attempting to return their ps5 once they find out CoD isn’t available on their console.

Jayjayhd34

Really dont see the problem here. These stores will have loyal customers, who might only buy a system for cod they are doing something good by making them aware so they have buy yet another console they wont need.

Like it or not but there millions upon systems being sold for cod alone. Gaming industry is about change in big way.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Seriously?
You really think you can put a SIGN discouraging sales of product in store?
I've seen a fragrance consultant get fired on the spot for telling a customer he thought Armani Code Sport smelt like Jif lemon.
What do you actually think would happen if a representative visited the store?
Or a Area Manager visited.?
That they'd find it funny?
Sure the chances of getting caught is slim.
But if you did, you would be fired or if you are lucky get a disciplinary and if the company was aware they could sue for damages or refuse stock to that store.
Whether it's True or false.

Although if ya gonna do it.
They could at least included Craig
craig-no-need-to-be-upset.gif

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
social-basic-1280x720.jpg

A French retailer has allegedly been spotted putting a warning on its PlayStation 5 section, telling potential customers that they may want to reconsider their purchase due to Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision Blizzard.

As pictured by Twitter user HazzadorGamin, French supermarket chain Cora is claimed to have placed the notice on its shelves, which reads: “Notice to gamers, Microsoft has bought Activision! Choose your machine carefully (Call of Duty)”.

Cora has more than 60 stores in France, and 20 more in Romania, Belgium and Luxembourg.

If the image is accurate, while it’s not clear if the Cora notice is widespread, it could represent another potential example of the wide-reaching influence of the games industry’s biggest-ever buyout.

There’s a Cora about 25 minutes from where I live. Next time I am in the area, I will have a quick look lol

xion4360

Keep your Sony stocks, son, they aren't going anywhere.

It's not about discouraging anything, it's about telling the majority of gamers, the casuals, that call of duty eventually will be removed from PlayStation, so they won't get into some sort of shit storm from retarted buyers.

It's not Phil who paid them for the sign, it's not about discouraging.

It's just a public service announcement.
Relax dude...im stating something that makes sense in the retail business. You dont discourage sales. period.

Leyasu

Banned
Seriously?
You really think you can put a SIGN discouraging sales of product in store?
I've seen a fragrance consultant get fired on the spot for telling a customer he thought Armani Code Sport smelt like Jif lemon.
What do you actually think would happen if a representative visited the store?
Or a Area Manager visited.?
That they'd find it funny?
Sure the chances of getting caught is slim.
But if you did, you would be fired or if you are lucky get a disciplinary and if the company was aware they could sue for damages or refuse stock to that store.
Whether it's True or false.

Although if ya gonna do it.
They could at least included Craig
craig-no-need-to-be-upset.gif
This is France not America. You don’t get fired over here for nothing. Although I am not certain that this is real.

• LOL
Reactions: TGO

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
so you put a sign in front of the Xbox Series S saying hey "activision is owned by MS get your COD here!"..or whatever..you dont discourage the sale of another product.
Yeah, this is the correct way of doing it.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
This is France not America. You don’t get fired over here for nothing. Although I am not certain that this is real.

I'm not sure about France, but here in Italy you'd definitely be in big trouble (and possibly dismissed) for abusing the company letterhead like this, and possibly causing trouble with distributors. I've seen GameStop employees fired for less.

base

Banned
Omg, who cares if they have bought Activision. Haven't played any game from Activision for a long time. I consider Call of Duty trash.

Umbasaborne

Banned
They DARE to besmirch the name of my favorite console manufacturer? This blatant sign of disrespect CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO CONTINUE o_O FIRE THEM, FIRE THEM NOW, I WILL NOT ALLOW MY FAVORITE CONSOLE MANUFACUTERER TO LOSE SALES BECAUSE OF THIS INSOLENCE!!!! FIRE THEM AND LET THOSE GREEN RATS ROT IN HELL 😡😡

Chukhopops

There certainly is room for disciplinary action even in Europe. To what extent, depends on the chain and its rules, but I wouldn't exclude a dismissal or demotion. Using the company letterhead for personal stuff is definitely frowned upon, especially if it risks putting the company in a bad light with a partner (in this case, sony or its distributors).

Do keep in mind that any employee could have done this. It doesn't even need to be the store manager. Likely anyone who has access to the office has access to the printer and the company letterhead. Considering that there's only a single dude who posted about it, it's likely that the message (if it wasn't a staged joke) wasn't up long anyway.
Disciplinary procedure, maybe a warning but if the employee’s record is clean I really don’t think there’s ground for « faute lourde » and that a company would go through the process (which in France is somewhat complicated) for this. But I’m not a lawyer and I work across the border so maybe it has become simpler in recent years.

Why would you do this? What do they care after you’ve walked out of the store?

As if a customer is going to come back demanding a refund because of that…\

Why is transparency a negative? Alot of people buy consoles just for the CODs/Maddens/ 2Ks/ Fifas . Giving your customers transparency is what most businesses should strive for.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
social-basic-1280x720.jpg

A French retailer has allegedly been spotted putting a warning on its PlayStation 5 section, telling potential customers that they may want to reconsider their purchase due to Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision Blizzard.

As pictured by Twitter user HazzadorGamin, French supermarket chain Cora is claimed to have placed the notice on its shelves, which reads: “Notice to gamers, Microsoft has bought Activision! Choose your machine carefully (Call of Duty)”.

Cora has more than 60 stores in France, and 20 more in Romania, Belgium and Luxembourg.

If the image is accurate, while it’s not clear if the Cora notice is widespread, it could represent another potential example of the wide-reaching influence of the games industry’s biggest-ever buyout.

Now I know where Kagey K Kagey K works!

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Disciplinary procedure, maybe a warning but if the employee’s record is clean I really don’t think there’s ground for « faute lourde » and that a company would go through the process (which in France is somewhat complicated) for this. But I’m not a lawyer and I work across the border so maybe it has become simpler in recent years.

It really depends on the company, I'm guessing. Some get really bent out of shape when their logo is involved.

Of one thing I'm pretty sure. If it's not a straight fake, unless this goes unnoticed (which is very possible), whoever did this is likely to regret it to some extent.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Not buying this. You saw this days ago and you need to say IIRC? Bullshit. Is your memory that bad or is it wishful thinking that an Xbox fanboy would do this? Definitely the latter.

Let me respond to this again.

A thread was made on Resetera an hour ago.

The exact comment I was referring to was linked.

You guys seriously get so defensive on here.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Let me respond to this again.

A thread was made on Resetera an hour ago.

The exact comment I was referring to was linked.

You guys seriously get so defensive on here.

Story:
- Forum fanboy prints a page, goes to store and takes a picture to troll the internet.
Trolling is successful on neogaf.

/thread

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Banned
Omg, who cares if they have bought Activision. Haven't played any game from Activision for a long time. I consider Call of Duty trash.

I love this post, did you state that Activation was trash repeatedly before MS bought them? Please feel free to quote yourself.
Also even if you don't play or like Activision product, this will affect the market even if you say "who cares" since many people do.
I guarantee you Sony cares long term, especially losing their share of the microtransaction on COD down the road and the potential perception that key titles may not come to their platform.
Fast forward to 2025 - PS5 pro/PS6, you can't play the newest COD, Doom, Elder scrolls, Starfield Dishonored, Prey, Wolfenstein, Fallout, WOW, and more so it chips away at the notion that Sony the THE place to play games.
For me personally, I would still buy Playstation for their key exclusives but there is a very large part of the market that will be influenced by this loss.

Last edited:
Top Bottom