• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal is coming to PC in early 2023

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
And you're bullshitting like it's 1999.

You can use them wireless, Steam detects the controller and you can use it as you would any other controller in games with controller support.

Beyond that you can use 3rd party utilities which allow you to use all of the features and tweak them to your liking even when wireless ( Midn1ght Midn1ght this will be useful for you):

Some people really do thrive on fiction huh?

Like I said I have two of them. The Dualsense features that are supposedly god's gift to man are barely supported.

peronmls

I just want Siren: Bloodcurse. A Japanese sony in-house team. An astonishingly overlooked horror game. It uses too much likeness of real people though so I don’t see it happening…

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
I don't like LEAVING tons of stuff at background. AS A MATTER of fact, I turn off discord, and other distractions when I'm playing a game, especially if it is a STORY DRIVEN game such as returnal or spiderman.
So you don't keep taking screenshots of the game to show your discord bros while discussing the latest internet fad?

yamaci17

So you don't keep taking screenshots of the game to show your discord bros while discussing the latest internet fad?
nope, i just take shots with steam and upload them there. dunno if other bros look at them or not, i just upload them to make an archive / to look back

i have no idea what is your aims here. if you're trying to mock me or anything, you're really not being funny

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
Here's the list of games with adaptive trigger and/or haptic feedback.

Games with adaptive trigger and haptic feedback support

That's 41 games on PC so far.
Look first of all I don't care to get mad over this.

All I was saying was that you will have to play wired and few games are supported. You are not disputing what I am saying. Xbox controller is still the default on PC. Star Ocean 6 doesn't even have the dualsense icons.

But if it makes you happy: please consumerwhore for 70 euro piece of plastic and buy it now.

Zathalus

You can use them wireless, Steam detects the controller and you can use it as you would any other controller in games with controller support.

Beyond that you can use 3rd party utilities which allow you to use all of the features and tweak them to your liking even when wireless ( Midn1ght Midn1ght this will be useful for you):

He is right though, you can use Dualsense like a regular controller wirelessly but if you want to use the advanced haptics you need to do it over USB.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
IIRC there were reports that it was going to be Steam Deck Verified. Which isn't much of a surprise since I believe all PlayStation on PC releases have been so far. Looking forward to playing it on handheld.

coffinbirth

No, that's ACTUAL bullshit.
Outside of Steam you have to emulate a 360 pad for most games to even recognize it, which is what that shitty, PAID app you're plugging actually does for most games. The actual Dualsense features are neutered and don't respond to contextual scripting for literally ANY supported game. It's better than nothing, but to recommend this without those caveats is disingenous.

GHG

Do haptics (not standard rumble) work wirelessly? Even using DSX it appears you need to use USB?

The haptic triggers work 100% wirelessly with the app but not tested the haptic rumble to be honest so couldn't tell you, I'm happy with the standard rumble.

I can test the haptics wirelessly this weekend to see if they work.

No, that's ACTUAL bullshit.
Outside of Steam you have to emulate a 360 pad for most games to even recognize it, which is what that shitty, PAID app you're plugging actually does for most games. The actual Dualsense features are neutered and don't respond to contextual scripting for literally ANY supported game. It's better than nothing, but to recommend this without those caveats is disingenous.

Where to begin...

If you're using the Windows store or the EGS instead of steam then my condolences, in light of that it makes sense that you seem so irate.

The "paid app" literally costs nothing and the reason it's paid is because you get a ton of additional features over just your bog standard xinput emulation. But if you just want the ability to use the controller in plug and play fashion outside of steam then you can also use this which is free:

Never seen so many tears over an optional controller. This is PC, if you don't like it you can use literally any other controller that's ever been released, no need to cry.

Last edited:

yurinka

Great for PC gamers, but....
0e2.gif

I don't think any console manufacturer has ever spent the whole 2nd year of their new console's life announcing ports to a other system.
They announced a lot of exclusives for their console during this year way more than the few PC ports they announced.

And well, during this year they also released quality exclusives that won 12 Game Awards, and 7 of these awards are for exclusives developed by themselves.

Moving forward the question is can Sony release new games on pc and ps5 day 1.
Hermen Hulst said that these single player blockbusters no, that they will be developed for console only and some time later other teams may port some of them to PC. He also mentioned that might make an exception with GaaS titles possibly getting a PC day one release.

But for the games announced yesterday, one will be released on PC around 2 years after its original release on console, and the other one around 10 years after its original release.

if this one doesnt sell Sony gonna stop this PC shit.
PC ports will mean a few hundreds of millions of profits for this year alone and isn't negatively affecting their console hardware and software sales, even with console 1st party games. It wouldn't make sense to stop the PC ports.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

The haptic triggers work 100% wirelessly with the app but not tested the haptic rumble to be honest so couldn't tell you, I'm happy with the standard rumble.

I can test the haptics wirelessly this weekend to see if they work.

Where to begin...

If you're using the Windows store or the EGS instead of steam then my condolences, in light of that it makes sense that you seem so irate.

The "paid app" literally costs nothing and the reason it's paid is because you get a ton of additional features over just your bog standard xinput emulation. But if you just want the ability to use the controller in plug and play fashion outside of steam then you can also use this which is free:

[/URL]

Never seen so many tears over an optional controller. This is PC, if you don't like it you can use literally any other controller that's ever been released, no need to cry.
Where to begin, indeeeed...
"The haptic triggers work 100% wirelessly." BULLSHIT. They do not. They do not allow for contextual scripting, as I already stated. That means it's only half working. So, 50% And only on Steam.

"literally cost's nothing" Actually costs $4.

"ton of great additional features" =/= not the actual DualSense features that are advertised.

Sony have released their own games on pc, touting DualSense features, yet cannot be bothered to make that work properly without being tethered. That is the complaint that you chose to respond to with a garbage half measure "fix".
I'm not crying, I'm calling out bullshit.

GHG

Where to begin, indeeeed...
"The haptic triggers work 100% wirelessly." BULLSHIT. They do not. They do not allow for contextual scripting, as I already stated. That means it's only half working. So, 50% And only on Steam.

"literally cost's nothing" Actually costs $4.

"ton of great additional features" =/= not the actual DualSense features that are advertised.

Sony have released their own games on pc, touting DualSense features, yet cannot be bothered to make that work properly without being tethered. That is the complaint that you chose to respond to with a garbage half measure "fix".
I'm not crying, I'm calling out bullshit.

This is what I mean, instead of informing yourself you just want to be angry. DSX does allow for contextual scripting and using the controllers features, even in unsupported games, that's literally the purpose of the apps existence over ds4windows.

If you want to call out bullshit then start with yourself, especially if you're going to tell me $4 is worth worrying about in 2022.

Kataploom

Gold Member
He is right though, you can use Dualsense like a regular controller wirelessly but if you want to use the advanced haptics you need to do it over USB.
They seriously need to make a dongle for PC, I considered picking one to see what's the fuzz about the gimmicks but seeing they only work on cable makes me think it twice.

Do Sony games on PC have playstation controller button icons? That would be great

Larxia

I'm happy with the standard rumble.
Really? I got a dualsense a few days ago and I've been super disappointed by this actually, because when it's using standard rumbles, it's only on the left side of the controller, which is really quite annoying, it feels unbalanced and wrong.

coffinbirth

This is what I mean, instead of informing yourself you just want to be angry. DSX does allow for contextual scripting and using the controllers features, even in unsupported games, that's literally the purpose of the apps existence over ds4windows.

If you want to call out bullshit then start with yourself, especially if you're going to tell me $4 is worth worrying about in 2022.
Prove it.

It's Unreal Engine 4, so if you want a working, stutter-free game, that's still a de facto PS5 exclusive.

It stutters on PS5 though.

Not best when you're continually two years late. In what way is it best?

Who the hell cares when it released? Most of the time games improve over time. I played Returnal at launch on PS5 and enjoyed it, but if I had waited a year for the big update I would have had a better experience. And now people who waited for two years get to play an even better version.

Last edited:
Who the hell cares when it released? Most of the time games improve over time. I played Returnal at launch on PS5 and enjoyed it, but if I had waited a year I would have had a better experience. And now people who waited for two years get to play an even better version.

I don’t consider some extra pixels to be meaningfully better assuming you have pc hardware that can do marginally better

I really don’t understand the folks that care either. It looks and runs great on my ps5 already and by the time it comes out on pc there’s a shitload of new games releasing first half of 2023 I’ll be playing

Last edited:
I don’t consider some extra pixels to be meaningfully better assuming you have pc hardware that can do marginally better

I really don’t understand the folks that care either. It looks and runs great on my ps5 already and by the time it comes out on pc there’s a shitload of new games releasing first half of 2023 I’ll be playing

Regardless of what you consider to be "meaningfully better", it'll be an objectively better version of the game that you and I played and I envy the people who waited. Contrary to what you seem to think there's nothing wrong with playing 2 (or 10 or 20+) year old games and we both know the only reason you're saying that is because you're a console warrior grasping at straws. Ignored.

dcx4610

Glad I waited. This is one of the few games in recent years I've been interested in playing. Less and less reason to own the PS5 though. I don't think I've even turned mine on once this year.

xrnzaaas

32GB of RAM in recommended system requirements - lol, what for? The locations in the game aren't even that big.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Glad I waited. This is one of the few games in recent years I've been interested in playing. Less and less reason to own the PS5 though. I don't think I've even turned mine on once this year.
So odd platform warring… always wanted to play this game and I will be playing it now despite being able to play it already on something I could turn on to play this on but I am not turning it on and wondering why I have something that could let me play what I choose not to play… 🤷‍♂️.

tommib

Gold Member
So odd platform warring… always wanted to play this game and I will be playing it now despite being able to play it already on something I could turn on to play this on but I am not turning it on and wondering why I have something that could let me play what I choose not to play… 🤷‍♂️.
Sony PC ports are provoking brain short-circuits across the board. People still want to platform warring but they don’t know how anymore so everything comes as mindless and impotent. Weird, amusing and extraordinary in equal amounts.

TonyK

I'm always tempted to buy it when it's in sales like now, but I don't like the roguelite aspect of the game. I fear it will be too frustrating to me. For example, I liked Dead Cells but Hades not too much. The repetitive nature of roguelite put me away, but I like the atmosphere of Returnal, very different from indie roguelites. I don't know what to do!

Hohenheim

My favourite 2021 game. The atmosphere, challenge and gameplay loop is pure perfection.
The only thing I would add to improve this gem of a game would be mouse/keyboard support. Looking forward to replaying it on my PC at some point and not having to use a controller.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Nobody gives a fuck about bloatware app.
The dualsense features only work wired and on steam. End of story. And when they work, some effects are missing

yamaci17

Nobody gives a fuck about bloatware app.
The dualsense features only work wired and on steam. End of story. And when they work, some effects are missing
this is blatant misinformation. when they DO work, they work FULLY. effects are not "missing". it either WORKS or not. the game itself may not have ALL the effects the pad supports however, in such cases, that would affect the PS5 version too, so it would be all on the game itself

I played spiderman, death stranding, valhalla, overwatch, metro enhanced and a plague tale requiem and ALL effects do work. at least ALL effects that I KNOW of that should be there WAS there including adaptive triggers being resistive when you pee in death stranding, or a merely holding a rope tightly in a plague tale requiem, or shooting with d.va's mech blasters or simply firing arrows in valhala . you are free to prove "what" effects are missing specifically compared to PS5's versions in games that supports Dualsense on PC. otherwise your claim holds no truth or whatsoever

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
this is blatant misinformation. when they DO work, they work FULLY. effects are not "missing". it either WORKS or not. the game itself may not have ALL the effects the pad supports however, in such cases, that would affect the PS5 version too, so it would be all on the game itself

I played spiderman, death stranding, valhalla, overwatch, metro enhanced and a plague tale requiem and ALL effects do work. at least ALL effects that I KNOW of that should be there WAS there including adaptive triggers being resistive when you pee in death stranding, or a merely holding a rope tightly in a plague tale requiem, or shooting with d.va's mech blasters or simply firing arrows in valhala . you are free to prove "what" effects are missing specifically compared to PS5's versions in games that supports Dualsense on PC. otherwise your claim holds no truth or whatsoever
Nothing works wirelessly

yamaci17

Nothing works wirelessly
you said when they do work, some effects are missing. you did not specify anything about wireless;

"The dualsense features only work wired and on steam. End of story. And when they work, some effects are missing"

be more specific or clear. your message implies that even when it works on wired, effects are still missing. I'm not an oracle. you should've said,

"when they do work wirelessly, some effects will be missing"

then I could understand your sentiment. in this state however, your message has the implication that effects are missing on wired connection, which is simply untrue

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Thebonehead

Banned
Not best when you're continually two years late. In what way is it best?

You seemed fine with it when you were gushing over playing the 9 year old TLOU remaster at 4k 30FPS

Im playing 4k 30 fps in both games

The increase in detail is significant imho

It’s a very smooth 30fps, 60fps is completely overrated

Just accept that some of us will enjoy playing this at 144hz Ultrawide in high resolutions with all the bells and whistles turned up with superior aim control.

Mahavastu

You’re too smart for this forum, mister. We only disagree with Returnal looking low-res on the PS5. Not in the slightest. And good reasons for that due to temporal scaling and check board rendering to 4K.
In some situations it looks like the upscaling is not that great, but that's the only complaint I have for this otherwise great game.

Examples:
1. the moving grass, which you have a lot in level 4 and level 1, looks like you watch interlaced content on a flat screen TV. This is really annoying!
2. if you have red lava which refects on the walls, it look very dithered
3. if a door opens, the dust falling down looks more like a graphical error than dust falling down...
These problems happen on both of my systems (85" and 125")

I wish they would give FSR2 a try, maybe that would fix this? The dust problem might get even worse, but that is not really important. The moving grass is.

Returnal and Demon's Souls might sell better on PC than they did on PS5.

They should probably look at Rift Apart on PC as well.

But the big ticket items they should be focusing on are Dreams, GT7, and Bloodborne.

Returnal and Demon's Souls might sell better on PC than they did on PS5.

They should probably look at Rift Apart on PC as well.

But the big ticket items they should be focusing on are Dreams, GT7, and Bloodborne.
Returnal will be the best selling game of Sony on PC.

This game is taste of PC gamer ,however my taste is The Last of Us type.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Returnal will be the best selling game of Sony on PC.

This game is taste of PC gamer ,however my taste is The Last of Us type.
The odds of it outselling Spider-Man or God of War are pretty slim. I can see it doing similar numbers to Days Gone which did decently and was about as old as Return when the latter will hit PC.

Sony knows THE game that could potentially sell a lot on PC, but they've been ignoring its existence for about 5-6 years now.

Top Bottom