• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

drotahorror

Malfunctions only drag you down. I avoid them, and don't use ether on them. You need ether to have a second chance in each level, if you die you lose nothing and come back. Malfunctions stick on your ass when you comeback as well.

How do you get a second chance? I had it once but didn't even know why.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Second boss down. Haven't died one single time yet, so haven't really experienced this "returnal " loop yet. I have managed to acquire some form of regen which makes it pretty easy do far. A bit of a downer, since I thought this game was going to be relentless. Still challenging though, and the second boss was pretty tough in his last phases. Gotta have quick reflexes.

The particle effects and lighting is really something. Some enemies lights up the whole damn screen. Very cool weaponry too. Every time there is action my heart rate jacks up and the adrenaline starts to rush. Love this fast paced arcade action and bullet hell cascades.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
How do you get a second chance? I had it once but didn't even know why.

I'll put it in a spoiler, but it's not related to story anyway:

You pay 6 Ether and can only use it once per level. If you had malfunctions you'll respawn with them.

Returnal_guide___Reconstrcutor.jpg

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
More and more signs that this game can be beat in just 12-15 hours. Even from streamers that tried to do everything in game.. I don't know where these opinions about 50h gameplay come from but apparently it's bullshit. 10-15 h game for 80 euros is just ..lmao

If you want the plat and the true ending and all that shit, the Power Pyx trophy guide has it at 50-100 hours or more. Finding every collectible in every biome at the end game is a crazy long grind because they just randomly pop up. So you’d have to run Biome 1 like 20+ times to get everything.

That’s where the length is.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I think one of the main things that made it easy is the dodge hack, you can literally dodge towards the wall of bullets and go through, also get through laser layers. There are some lasers you can't do that though.
Purple orbs can't als be dodged through!

drotahorror

Man, 3 times now I'm stuck and can't press triangle anymore. This last time I just used a fabricator, didn't skip it or anything. Now I can't teleport or do anything.

This is pretty annoying.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Man, 3 times now I'm stuck and can't press triangle anymore. This last time I just used a fabricator, didn't skip it or anything. Now I can't teleport or do anything.

This is pretty annoying.

Glitches and bugs are very random. Some get lucky like me some don't. This game needs all the luck because you can't save.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Glitches and bugs are very random. Some get lucky like me some don't. This game needs all the luck because you can save.

Looks like the interact bug might be tied to using a suit that's not the default suit. Lots of people saying they are using the preorder suit ( I am) and getting this glitch. Hell my first real run I had normal suit on and cleared the whole biome and no bug. After that, I swapped suit and it's almost every run.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Looks like the interact bug might be tied to using a suit that's not the default suit. Lots of people saying they are using the preorder suit ( I am) and getting this glitch. Hell my first real run I had normal suit on and cleared the whole biome and no bug. After that, I swapped suit and it's almost every run.

Yeah I literally never used the suits.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Second boss down. Haven't died one single time yet, so haven't really experienced this "returnal " loop yet. I have managed to acquire some form of regen which makes it pretty easy do far. A bit of a downer, since I thought this game was going to be relentless. Still challenging though, and the second boss was pretty tough in his last phases. Gotta have quick reflexes.

The particle effects and lighting is really something. Some enemies lights up the whole damn screen. Very cool weaponry too. Every time there is action my heart rate jacks up and the adrenaline starts to rush. Love this fast paced arcade action and bullet hell cascades.
How did you do that first encounter where most people die? You have some solid reflexes lol

I was on my best run and my game crashed. Granted it’s early, but it was still upsetting.

kaiju

Best Buy royally screwed up my pre-order. Think I'm done with them.

Thankfully Wal-Mart had a copy.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Not having saves is pretty retarded. They can just have saves and it gets deleted right away when you die. At least make it per level.
i die before i even need to save
but yeah agreed

almost got the first boss down too just 1 sliver but i fucked up and got hugged by the wall
not picking up those corrupted items helped a lot this feels so counter initiative in a RL game,

image0.jpg

like WHY would i pick this up?

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Finally died! 😄

Third biome was rough. Big sentinel robots fucking my shit up. Okay, I'm officially in love with this game. It's so good. Not as pretty as Demon's Souls, but still good looking. No, the beauty in this game is the action, the fluid movements as you zip between crazy bullet hells and vanquishing monsters. It feels a bit like Vanquish to be honest. The gameplay loop is so satisfying.

But I gotta say, honestly. DualSense. What a game changer. It transforms the games into something completely new. The immersion when you feel the droplets of the rain, the subtle rumble when your secondary fire is ready to go, the recoil in the different weapons. Absolutely sublime. I feel this is what next gen is really about.

The audio design is fantastic as well. The otherworldly musical ambience, the sound effects of your weapon firing off round after round, the noise from the enemies coming from different directions. It's so well executed.

kyliethicc

If you want the plat and the true ending and all that shit, the Power Pyx trophy guide has it at 50-100 hours or more. Finding every collectible in every biome at the end game is a crazy long grind because they just randomly pop up. So you’d have to run Biome 1 like 20+ times to get everything.

That’s where the length is.
Plus there's the daily challenge high score mode with leaderboards for basically endless replay value.

DonJorginho

Banned
Just got to the third biome, fuck me does the game get harder, those flying robots were insane but I could manage. But when the giant ball comes out at the same time? Fuck that 🤣

Bosses weren't too hard surprisingly, killed both on second attempt, but I'm guessing the third biome boss will be an absolute fucker to beat.

Orpheum

I ordered mine for release day pickup at Best Buy about a week ago. I received a notification this morning that it would not be there today. I checked the site and there is one copy 77 miles and about a dozen Best Buys away available. I think Returnal may have done better than expected.
I hope it does well :)

But here the issue is more likely the late shipping date and the postal service being somewhat overwhelmed i imagine... Usually i don't pre order but instead just walk over to the store after work on release day. Stores are still closed due to covid though so ordering or digital are the only options :/ but i can wait a few more days. It's just the fact that i'm way too excited for the game haha

dorkimoe

Who wants to help me? Picked this up. No idea what’s happening lol. I’m just running around through doors.
What do I keep upon death?
Ether?
Cleanse?
Negative effects?
keys?
Obolites?

feel like the game explains nothing.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Just installed the day 1 patch ( did my first run while it downloaded, and then I got so far I didn't want to reset). I think the game got prettier and more atmospheric, and also a lot fucking harder. Getting rekt in the first biome over and over again. Damn. Maybe I got lucky as hell on my first run with the items.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Who wants to help me? Picked this up. No idea what’s happening lol. I’m just running around through doors.
Ether?
Cleanse?
Negative effects?
keys?
Obolites?

feel like the game explains nothing

The only thing you keep is the permanent upgrades. You can watch which ones you got in the menu under suit. Everything else goes away. Keep on fighting, you'll get stronger and more experienced on every run. 💪

Ether?
Cleanse?
Negative effects?
keys?
Obolites?

feel like the game explains nothing.

You keep ether, artifacts and permenent upgrades (Artifacts provide some additional bonuses)

You also keep weapon traits. When you use a weapon you'll gradully level it up to unlock traits such as armour piercing. Those carry over.

Last edited:

saintjules

Dude it’s so nice playing a game with proper HDR after playing the grey soupy mess that is Outriders botched HDR all last month.

This game looks terrific.

The game is SDR, but PS5 will force HDR to be on if you have it enabled in system settings. I actually just set it to if the content I'm playing actually has HDR.

I mean, it looks amazing on my C9 regardless.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Was it the trophy hunter guy who basically said the first biome is the hardest?

What an absolute load of bs
The beginning might be hardest to some people because you're learning how to dodge attacks and how to eliminate enemies effectively. Plus you don't get at least one very useful permanent upgrade for combat until later in the game.

For me the second biome was probably the toughest one. They introduced a lot of tough "standard" enemies and the boss fight also took me the largest number of attempts. For comparison I've managed to complete biome 4 on my first go which surprised me considering I'm not very good at playing Housemarque games.

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
I’ve been playing for a couple of hours or more and just managed to beat the 1st boss by the skin of my teeth. My god, my heart was pumping! Just got killed fairly early into the 2nd biome. I’m going to take a break because that shit is intense. I love it when the music kicks in when the shit hits the fan. Great game and exactly what I was hoping for.

The game is SDR, but PS5 will force HDR to be on if you have it enabled in system settings. I actually just set it to if the content I'm playing actually has HDR.

I mean, it looks amazing on my C9 regardless.

when I boot the game with HDR on, I don’t get the SDR calibration screen, when I boot the game with HDR off only then do I get the SDR calibration screen.

Are you certain?

edit

further testing, game looks substantially better in my CX OLED with HDR turned on. Unlike Outriders, which looks substantially better with HDR disabled in PS5 settings.

I stick by my first post. True HDR or not, it’s nice playing a game with proper tone mapping (which Outriders lacks)

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
The Hollowseeker weapon is basically a cheat code at this point, once you get it the game gets so much easier. The enemies still hit SO fucking hard though in that third biome, I find the first two biomes easy up to that point, then I get buttfucked :( guess I gotta git gud.

Top Bottom