• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Doomtrain

Played a few runs last night. I like it so far! The gameplay is super fluid and the horror elements are great. I especially love the old suburban house.

One thing that's weird to me so far is that I didn't notice a huge variety in weapons/artifacts/parasites between my different runs. I once got an artifact that improved my melee damage, but otherwise, I didn't find anything that made any particular run feel unique from any other. Is anyone else noticing the same thing? I'm hoping I just got unlucky.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
The Hollowseeker weapon is basically a cheat code at this point, once you get it the game gets so much easier. The enemies still hit SO fucking hard though in that third biome, I find the first two biomes easy up to that point, then I get buttfucked :( guess I gotta git gud.
I really don't get this weapon. I mean in terms of its functionality.

Papacheeks

Banned
So dont know if this was talked about, but in my area, not one retailer recieved their shipping of returnal. Amazon was giving me a date for Tuesday, so I canclled it and ordered through best buy/ I wake up this morning and no pick up email? I thought that was strange, but sometimes it takes a little longer for the warehouse to update their stock so I thought nothing of it. Then I got done with work went in to pick it up, and the manager said they never recieved their shipment. And when it comes to games you get them weeks in advance in retail. I know because I worked at both Gamestop and Bestbuy a long time ago. That and the manager even said they have copies of games that dont release for 3 weeks back in the warehouse.

I then googled returnal on gamestop, walmart, target and no one has it.

Someone fucked up.

Umbral

I came to say that I am really enjoying the game so far. Usually these aren’t my genre but something about this one is different. I’m early, still in the first biome getting my feet under me.

Also, Selene has cheeks.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I beat the first boss. fucking sliver of health left,.
No fucking health drops whatsoever from boss. Fuck you game,.
then i finally go to the damn elevator room.
Super happy as i am i jump on the damn pad, It starts to spin like crazy and katapults me in this red goo..

and i'm dead. Didn't even managed to reach the second world

fuck this game xD

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I can't even imagine playing this game without HDR. The picture looks so dark and wonderful with the brilliant blasts from enemies in contrast. Got another hour in this morning and I got the blade, into the house and to the first boss fight, which was super fun even though I died on the last heath bar. Will make sure to clear up my malfunctions before dropping into the arena next time.

Spukc

I can't even imagine playing this game without HDR. The picture looks so dark and wonderful with the brilliant blasts from enemies in contrast. Got another hour in this morning and I got the blade, into the house and to the first boss fight, which was super fun even though I died on the last heath bar. Will make sure to clear up my malfunctions before dropping into the arena next time.
i streamed it to my lappy last night. without HDR everything is kinda grey ish

RGB'D

So what's the gaf consensus?

Worth picking up?
Eh its alright so far. It's pretty fun but I think a lot of the overblown praise is from lack of anything else out. I've made it through two biomes and it is fun. Hades/dead cells it is not though. I feel like the parasite/malfunction system is just annoying. It's like they missed one of the key points of these games (drops should be fun and make you more powerful, not nerf you for a marginal gain).

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
So what's the gaf consensus?

Worth picking up?
If you dont mind the price tag, the appearance of the protagonist, the fact that you can not save and don't have a problem with how the rocks are crumbling when they get shot you are in for a ride.

On a more serious note i highly suggest this game for its design, performance and core gameplay.

Just be aware of its roguelike nature!

Bartski

Gold Member
I'm in the 4th biome. WOW. Such a great game. Controls and combat feel just excellent, super tight it's a pure joy just navigating the environment. Awesome enemy encounters, good variety, fun bosses and I'm totally in on the story so far.

REALLY tough at the beginning. That's until you figure out the basics, the biggest trick is knowing what NOT to pick up just because you can.

The deeper you go the easier it gets, keeping it slow and exploring and upgrading the character is really effective.

After building up towards beating boss 2 - biome 3 was just piss easy, I never got below 80% health and melted the otherwise jaw-dropping boss... in great contrast to biome 1 which took me like 6 hours.

There is a parasite that replenishes health while doing damage I got somewhere in biome 2, that's practically god mode at this point.

Biome 4 is back to square one, I wonder how that will work now going back to 1-3 now.

xrnzaaas

The Hollowseeker weapon is basically a cheat code at this point, once you get it the game gets so much easier. The enemies still hit SO fucking hard though in that third biome, I find the first two biomes easy up to that point, then I get buttfucked :( guess I gotta git gud.
It's actually a crappy weapon, at least later on. You have to fire A LOT of bullets to inflict some serious damage. My favorite type of weapon is the carbine combined with homing projectiles as alt attack.

Anybody have a list of tips? Feel like I am going in blind. Not that I mind, it's a fucking awesome place to be lost in.
REALLY tough at the beginning. That's until you figure out the basics, the biggest trick is knowing what NOT to pick up just because you can.
Yeah this seems to be the main thing at first, cos I suffer from videogameitis where I just pick up everything not nailed to the ground.

Last edited:

jeffyjaixx

Once you beat a biome and head into say the 4th biome and die, can you start off again at the 4th biome? Or you have to go through Biome 1 to 3 again?

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I feel the game just gets tougher and tougher. I've a hard time even making it to biome 3 now and when I get there, bam, Dead as a door nail.

The ever changing levels are really well done though. I've never really liked procedural generated levels, but here every run feels fresh, with different layouts, weapons and objects.

It's very challenging. But never so much you want to give up, but more you want to try again. Returnal definitely got that "one more time" addictiveness added firmly into its DNA.

bender

What time is it?
Wow. Game just crashed on me. 3 hours wasted. Fuck dat shit big fucking time. Seriously.. Fuck dat fucking fuck shit. Fuck you.

Infinity_War__3.gif

SCB3

Well I bit the bullet on the game at full price after watching a few reviews (damn you Karak Karak , the main one that convinced me) and I have a few thoughts

• This game is hard, harder than I expected but its fair in its difficulty, every death I had, I felt like it was my fault or in one case the first time I faced the first boss, the gun was an ill fit, but still on me.
  • The areas are gorgeous, and there is a lot more out there to explore, it feels good to search especially the second area, it reminds me of a more toned down Warframe x Alien if that makes sense
  • The Story so far seems interesting, I did the first house sequence and I liked it
  • The Weapons so far feel good and unique, I love the alt-fire mode on the Shocker perk, it feels like a great equalizer
  • That First boss is a bitch and you have to be careful

All in all, its looking like a great game, I don't mind the save system so far as you can run back to the next area you unlock without having to refight the boss, so its not too bad to die.

saintjules

Well I bit the bullet on the game at full price after watching a few reviews (damn you Karak Karak , the main one that convinced me) and I have a few thoughts

• This game is hard, harder than I expected but its fair in its difficulty, every death I had, I felt like it was my fault or in one case the first time I faced the first boss, the gun was an ill fit, but still on me.
  • The areas are gorgeous, and there is a lot more out there to explore, it feels good to search especially the second area, it reminds me of a more toned down Warframe x Alien if that makes sense
  • The Story so far seems interesting, I did the first house sequence and I liked it
  • The Weapons so far feel good and unique, I love the alt-fire mode on the Shocker perk, it feels like a great equalizer

All in all, its looking like a great game, I don't mind the save system so far as you can run back to the next area you unlock without having to refight the boss, so its not too bad to die.

Yeah the first boss was a bitch few times I fought it, but once you recognize the patterns it's easy to take it out. Dashing has it's clutch moments too.

And yeah, if you don't get to the next Biome after finishing the Boss and die, you restart. At least that's what happened to me.

Edit: It seems I didn't see the entrance to the 2nd Biome when going to beat the Boss for a second time.

Last edited:

FrankWza

So dont know if this was talked about, but in my area, not one retailer recieved their shipping of returnal. Amazon was giving me a date for Tuesday, so I canclled it and ordered through best buy/ I wake up this morning and no pick up email? I thought that was strange, but sometimes it takes a little longer for the warehouse to update their stock so I thought nothing of it. Then I got done with work went in to pick it up, and the manager said they never recieved their shipment. And when it comes to games you get them weeks in advance in retail. I know because I worked at both Gamestop and Bestbuy a long time ago. That and the manager even said they have copies of games that dont release for 3 weeks back in the warehouse.

Someone fucked up.
Yeah I mentioned it earlier. Physical copies are scarce. Maybe under shipped

Spukc

Eh its alright so far. It's pretty fun but I think a lot of the overblown praise is from lack of anything else out. I've made it through two biomes and it is fun. Hades/dead cells it is not though. I feel like the parasite/malfunction system is just annoying. It's like they missed one of the key points of these games (drops should be fun and make you more powerful, not nerf you for a marginal gain).
for now i have to agree with the parasite malfunctioning system being way to punishing and i am actively ignoring said items. I am pretty sure this was not the intention of the devs.
also this aint no hades. Hades has way better items imo, I miss tinkering stats and equipment

Last edited:
Now that I'm off the clock and sipping a beer and playing this game, man, this is really cool. Being lost in this weird world.
Yeah I mentioned it earlier. Physical copies are scarce. Maybe under shipped
I live in the US and tried preordering it last week and the earliest it said it would arrive was May 18th. So I think it's pretty safe to say they are selling a lot of copies right now.

Who knows if it's "game drought" or "people are desperate for a game" (as if buying a new game is now something we have to justify???) but I think this will be a hit. Maybe not a big one, but it won't be a bust that's for sure.

Last edited:

Arkam

Well the title of the thread is accurate for me. The world is super cool and creepy. But damn do I need to suck less. Nearly died at the very first encounter cuz I was feeling out the controls.

Game will def take some time to build up my muscle memory for the combat movement.

So far I am impressed. Will see how I feel after a weekend of playing.

trikster40

Someone fucked up.
Same here. Finally got notification from Beat Buy that it’s been delayed. Praying I wake up in the morning and it’s ready. Oh well, at least I finally finished Ghost of Tsushimas’s raid lol

BbMajor7th

Well four hours in, twenty or so deaths, not seen the first boss yet and pretty bored. Nothing has happened narrative wise in about two hours and I'm pretty fed up now.

FrankWza

Now that I'm off the clock and sipping a beer and playing this game, man, this is really cool. Being lost in this weird world.

I live in the US and tried preordering it last week and the earliest it said it would arrive was May 18th. So I think it's pretty safe to say they are selling a lot of copies right now.

Who knows if it's "game drought" or "people are desperate for a game" (as if buying a new game is now something we have to justify???) but I think this will be a hit. Maybe not a big one, but it won't be a bust that's for sure.
US as well. Yeah, all major retailers are either next week or out of stock. They may let you place an order but it will be delayed most likely.
Same here. Finally got notification from Beat Buy that it’s been delayed. Praying I wake up in the morning and it’s ready. Oh well, at least I finally finished Ghost of Tsushimas’s raid lol
I saw something that they’re getting there’s Tuesday instead like a usual release date. It wasn’t street dated and didn’t come early

Biff

First impressions from a huge Housemarque fan and recovered SSHD addict:

The game is fun. Mechanics are solid. The malignant gamble is stupid. The lack of save/exit system is stupid. I think the game will get better as I get deeper into it. For now 88 metacritic seems a bit high.

And seriously, fuck the $89.99 CAD price tag for this game. I love Housemarque and I want them to get paid, but even I will admit this isn't a $90 AAA game. This shouldn't have been above $60. US$40 = C$50 seems more fair.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

drotahorror

I think some of the consumables should just be passives/artifacts.

Create a shock or w/e when landing from a jump? 30 seconds of mediocrity. From my one time using it, hah, I didn't find it super useful. Seems like a pickup that should be permanent throughout a run.

The game is just guns, find the gun you think is good and go with it. Try to increase your integrity and protection. Maybe something changes eventually I dunno, I'm on 3rd biome. I dig the game for sure, the gameplay is fun and I like finding shit. Hate the random pitfalls in first biome.

Last edited:

Karak

Lol I aim to be called names due to happiness. So this checks out.
Yes first boss can be...FUCKING HARD

8BiTw0LF

Banned
So I think this is a bug? Sorry for language :messenger_grinning_sweat:

If you don't want to see the second bossfight - don't watch!

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I preordered at Best Buy yesterday and it was listed as ready to pick up the following day. Today came, though, and it just sat at the same status all day: preparing order for pick up. I just checked a local Taget and one store nearby had 4 copies. Reserved there and supposedly it's ready for pick up. Canceled the Best Buy order.

Keihart

Main complaint so far is the lack of Save & Quit. Game itself says to use system's rest mode. Like, what? Not a fan of PS5 rest mode because the orange lights stay on. Also, what if you wanted to play something else for a bit?
I bet that the xbox new resume it's looking really cool now to some people.
I really wish they would patch that feature on the PS5 OS soon.

Last edited:

bargeparty

Hey guys, I'm back again, this time with Returnal. My physical copy came in early. Sony said they ran out of codes lol. Had to take matters into my own hands. But yea, the game is quite literally particle effects the game. You'll understand what I mean when you play it. Couple things to note:

1) The game does indeed run at 4K 60FPS. It's great for the most part except for first person view when inside the house sections, and also when tons of projectiles and enemies appear. You can get some drops. I even had a stutter on stream today
2) Loading is less than 1-2 seconds. Pretty fantastic on that
3) Game doesn't have an option to turn of Ray Tracing. I checked, it wasn't in the settings.
4) HDR settings not available to customize the game visuals. You'll have to setup HDR settings through PS5 video and screen settings.
5) I suggest taking of motion blur as i got nausea during fast fight moments.
6) Once you beat an area/boss, and move to another region, if you die there are quick shortcuts to get to those new regions without having to go through the first area all over again. New abilities and upgrades allow this when traversing.
7) Other than that, not much else to say. Enjoy the game as it's one of the best rogue lites I can recommend.

Let me know what your impressions are if you get the chance to play it :)

Also HDR is still processing on Youtube. it's taking forever.....sorry

Cheers

Where's the motion blur option?

kaiju

Nah just find a weapon type you're comfortable with and go straight to him.

You can rince him with level 0 weapons. Learning his patterns is more important

How do you go back to him? That was the first time I died, and the cutscenes made it seem like it was intentional. The procedural maps are great but now I'm lost. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Haven't found him yet, but I found the better gun and got the transports activated in the mean time.

Last edited:
How do you go back to him? That was the first time I died, and the cutscenes made it seem like it was intentional. The procedural maps are great but now I'm lost. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Haven't found him yet, but I found the better gun and got the transports activated in the mean time.

Just follow the rectangle shaped markers in the direction of the orange objective icon

4bChf63.jpg

Top Bottom