• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

drotahorror

I think I'm out sadly. It took me about 20 deaths to finally reach Phrike and then I wiped in the the third phase and will now have to hunt down another Anathema key. Moment to the moment the game isn't too challenging but at least once a run the game will lock you in a room with three elites, a mob and monolith and say 'have fun'. To me, it's a little rough for an opening area and it breaks the early learning flow. Qué Sera - back to NieR :D

After you unlock door to the first boss, you should be able to just go to him anytime. I've had the boss room spawn in the first room or two from the ship.

Last edited:

Burger

Depends on the telly you are on i guess?
it looks absolutely stunning on my oled.
Most darker games do.

of you go to brightness settings in HDR
You only have 1 option instead of 2 in SDR

The option is labelled something like "Brightness & SDR" though?

Have you gals and guys had the problem of getting stuck in a lockdown room? There's a teleport pad but nothing is happening except controller vibrating and the doors won't open.
Or am I missing something?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah I'm not sure why there are negative attributes in general. Like the game is hard as fuck already, why make it harder by adding malfunctions. It also severely hurts the loot pool because now you don't really want to open all chests.

drotahorror

Have you gals and guys had the problem of getting stuck in a lockdown room? There's a teleport pad but nothing is happening except controller vibrating and the doors won't open.
Or am I missing something?

If you have preorder/alternate outfit on, go back to default outfit. Pretty sure this is what's causing this problem. Nothing you can do except restart.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I'm having a good run now. Lots of health, nice benefits without too many downgrades and lots of nice artifacts. Its got me thinking. I can definitely get behind some form of save function. A sort of quicksave just to protect your run in case of crashes or any other type of shit. Also, the game is very long if you like to explore each area, a run can last several hours and sometimes it would be nice to just save and do something else without losing progress. The save can get deleted once you die, I think it wouldn't affect or alter the general difficulty and concept of the core gameplay.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Gold Member
I just had my first crash just before the 4h boss with an awesome build... fuck me so annoying
nvm the game somehow unfrooze after i sent the report damn lol im lucky. also... HOLY FUCK this game. 4th boss went down on first try but still shaking. This game has the best boss encounters i've ever played

i've ran into that wierd bug that stops all interaction three times now

Can't pick up any item, and also stops doors from opening. Need to fix that asap

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
My audio is glitched. Selene is not talking when interacting and the audiologs don't play. Haven't restarted yet since i'm to deep into the run.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

I stacked 3 of those parasites, but most of them have good pros and mild negatives. Like one gives you more damage power but next malignant bullshit is hard. Well, I don't pick up those.

Here are my "Pro" tips::messenger_sunglasses: (click on the links for the photos)

- Use Dash to get through laser barriers and most of the enemy attacks. Some bullets and lasers you can't do that and would end up getting hurt later on.
- Don't fucking gamble with your Ether: You can turn Ether to Obolites to buy a large medkit from that fabricator, knowing exactly what you want.
- Don't pick up Malignant stuff: It's not worth the negatives, some are doable some are pretty tough, unless you have malfunction fixer (if you have 2 malfunctions the next malignant you pick is broken/lost, so don't over do it).
- Spend 6 Ether on each level on the Reconstructors: This gives you a second chance on each level as you respawn again without losing anything. You can't spam it, only once on each biome.
- Collect Resin for maximum Integrity "Health".
- Don't be a fucking hero: If you think you're being overwhelmed with the goons, just run for your fucking life. Don't be shy to exploit some weakness sometimes as I use the doors to block the enemy and as a shield for the counter.
- Use the good Parasites: I've used one for autorepair at low health, and max integrity, and damage. Some raise malfunction probability buy you should not pick malignants to begin with. Some enemy attacks cause malfunctions though.
- Buy Augments: Those stack up and end up making you OP, like 10% protection, 25% max integrity, more damage caused, autorepair at low health "same as the parasite with no negatives", etc.
- You can stack as much consumable as you like from the same kind: If you have one large health medkit, you can stack another one over it. Same with other consumables as I've stacked once around 3 consumables in one slot.
- DON'T FUCKING GO TO THE GOLDEN GATE IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO: Those are wave-based and could end up fighting 3 bosses simultaneously. Rewards can be good, but tried one and wasn't that good as I was forced to do so in one mission. It looks like the same main mission door but yellow with a star above. Had my early second death there.
- Don't pick up a higher level weapon "just because": Check the stats, and understand what you need. To me, there is that machine gun I prefer "Hollowseeker", carbine "Tachyomatic Carbine" comes second, and the pistol "Modified Sidearm SD-M8" third. The rest are pure garbage to me in the long run.
- Permanent suit upgrades are crucial: Because you can reach areas you usually can't without them and could mean getting some health regain or better loot.
- In worst scenario, go back to the SHIP to sleep and regain health: Don't be afraid to go all the way back to the ship before proceeding to fight a boss with low health. It might be within your radius or you might have to go through biomes to reach it, but it's better than being forced to with zero stats. There are different beds that you can sleep "green bed" and regain health and even upgrade max integrity, also don't be afraid to sleep on the "red bed" ones that take some health but gives a very rewarding loot.
- Explore all the blue gates as much as possible: You usually get the green/red beds there, the reconstructor "second chance" machine, and other rewarding/permanent upgrades.
- Lastly, don't be afraid to die: The game makes it so easy get back to the level, and ones you enter you get a weapon level pass "Proficiency" that matches the biome right away. You can manage even with 0 level guns because the leveling isn't steep in the game.

I think that's about most of it. Hope this helps. The game isn't hard if you're good in gaming in general. I can say it's about medium. Goons can be harder than main bosses as well when you're overwhelmed or cornered. After beating the game you should still go after some story elements.

Hope this helps dorkimoe dorkimoe .
Thank you.
Still do much I don’t get. But this helps! I was picking up everything.

just so overwhelmed at what stays and what doesn’t from run to run

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Thank you.
Still do much I don’t get. But this helps! I was picking up everything.

just so overwhelmed at what stays and what doesn’t from run to run

Everything doesn't stay except: Suit upgrades (not buffs) like grappling hook and basic upgrades that add no extra power, and Ether. Everything else is vulnerable to loss. Be careful how you spend ether and always look for that Reconstructor for second chance.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
That crash really soured my experience with the game. I'm unsure if I'm gonna fuck around anymore with this until Housemarque ensures the game runs 100%. It's one thing if I screw up and die, losing all my progress, but having to worry if the game is gonna crash is just unacceptable in a difficult roguelike with heavy use of RNG.

Con-Z-epT

Nemesis down, first try.

He wasn't that hard actually. The fight was a feast for the senses!

I also really liked the citadel. Looks awesome.

So, I finally beat the first area. On the Crimson Desert. But I died and I have no idea why. Maybe someone can help.

I had a good run going, including an astronaut extra life.

I dropped into some bonus area, but when I came out there was just a sandstorm or something and my health dropped fast and I died. I came back and the storm kept going and I died again.

Is there something I did wrong, in case this happens again?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Wow. Fextralife is covering the game. We should get some indepth guides soon.

Most important tip. Melee is OP.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Although that the random drops of weapons, items and other things as the ever changing layout play a signifcant role in the difficulty of the game,
it is also about getting accostumed to enemy behaviour.

Every time i enter a new biome it is just a matter of time until i die, but after a few attempts and the fact that i internalized enemy movement and attack patterns it gets more manageable.

Sometimes the provided arsenal gets you supercharged quickly.
Today i had an artifact that required less resin to extend the healthgauge which lead to having 200% health at the end of the first biome.
Together with full adrenalin, some artifacts and parasites that boost damage and a good weapon the difficulty is lessened to a great extend.

As long as you don't run around like a headless chicken. :messenger_winking:

Con-Z-epT

So after...

...you finished act 1 you can't go back to the first 3 biomes and have to finish the rest i guess.

How does this play out with the end game? Anyone? Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem ?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So after...

...you finished act 1 you can't go back to the first 3 biomes and have to finish the rest i guess.

How does this play out with the end game? Anyone? Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem ?

4th biome is the 1st but after some years, so it works like the 1st biome. Never tried going through all the portals all the back to the ship, but I think it's doable.

Con-Z-epT

4th biome is the 1st but after some years, so it works like the 1st biome. Never tried going through all the portals all the back to the ship, but I think it's doable.
Once you finished act 2 which contains the biomes 4,5 and6 i guess, can you replay the first 3 biomes?

decisions

OK I absolutely love this game, but I just had a run ended by a...book. Picked up a book in the house and there was a bug where I couldn't exit reading it. So be careful about picking up those books lol.

Entroyp

After messing around the whole evening/night yesterday I finally made it through the second biome. I thought the boss fight was frggin’ awesome. It took me a few tries but nailed him after I got my favorite gun (hollowseeker).

WORTH THE $90 BUCKS I payed just for that 8bit/16bit era feeling of accomplishment you get after beating a boss. Awesome game!

Last edited:

Entroyp

I think I'm out sadly. It took me about 20 deaths to finally reach Phrike and then I wiped in the the third phase and will now have to hunt down another Anathema key. Moment to the moment the game isn't too challenging but at least once a run the game will lock you in a room with three elites, a mob and monolith and say 'have fun'. To me, it's a little rough for an opening area and it breaks the early learning flow. Qué Sera - back to NieR :D

Uhm… the boss gate remains open after you die and that door is never far from the ship.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
OK I absolutely love this game, but I just had a run ended by a...book. Picked up a book in the house and there was a bug where I couldn't exit reading it. So be careful about picking up those books lol.

I think it's tied to the alternative suits, avoid them for now. I didn't use them because I don't like tinted helmet that hides all the beauty of this hag.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa
JUST Beat the first BOSS! Fucking intense. Reminds me so much of the SSD HD DNA structure, but x1000000.

Question though - I actually DIED on the third phase of the boss....but it immediately ressurected me??? Is this a normal occurrence with bosses (you get one extra life), or did I have some random item equipped?

saintjules

JUST Beat the first BOSS! Fucking intense. Reminds me so much of the SSD HD DNA structure, but x1000000.

Question though - I actually DIED on the third phase of the boss....but it immediately ressurected me??? Is this a normal occurrence with bosses (you get one extra life), or did I have some random item equipped?

I think you got one of these

Last edited:

saintjules

So, I finally beat the first area. On the Crimson Desert. But I died and I have no idea why. Maybe someone can help.

I had a good run going, including an astronaut extra life.

I dropped into some bonus area, but when I came out there was just a sandstorm or something and my health dropped fast and I died. I came back and the storm kept going and I died again.

Is there something I did wrong, in case this happens again?

I noticed the sandstorm/winds if I was going off the map. Didn't realize it affected health though. So I just make sure that I'm back in the green portion of the map to avoid it altogether. Maybe this is what you're referring to?

bargeparty

I did the challenge run last night and they give you a pretty op gun. It was very fun to run through the first biome just wrecking. I love dodging into three squid guys and meleeing.

Top Bottom