• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

bargeparty

Purple bullets/waves aren't penetrable so you can't dodge through them.

Nah it's just normal mob stuff.

I've also been noticing quirks about melee. Sometimes you'll snap to a target, sometimes not. Sometimes you'll be right next to them and miss.

It's frustrating

GHG

Gold Member
I think bo used cheat codes

e9194cf5f76d9d7a7f40eb730b75bab2.gif

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Made it to the second biome and the combat just isn't clicking with me. I think part of it is the bullet travel time to enemies. I really wish the active reload mechanic for overcharge was mapped to a different button that fire. I'm having a hard time with special awareness is combat encounters with large groups of enemies and I always seem to be a tick off on jumps or dashes to avoid enemy attacks. From a design standpoint, I'm not really loving the diversity of the stitched together sections of the map as they repeat early and often. From an itemization standpoint, it feels like they drop way too many consumables or maybe I should just be using them more. I also think it tends to rely a little too heavily on most items having a bonus and a penalty. The challenges to clear suit corruption is a brilliant idea. I do wish there were some mechanic to recycle unused drops (weapons, consumables) to gain currency in the game.

You can use a consumable that changes the unwanted gun on the spot into something else more useful.

bender

What time is it?
You can use a consumable that changes the unwanted gun on the spot into something else more useful.

I still think it would be more beneficial to be able to recycle guns/items. You probably leave 5-10 on the ground in the first biome.

Useful Tips:

-In Biome 1, always return to the ship to sleep which refill your health.
-Shoot every statue, the ones with glowing eyes drop currency. Some status have hidden enemies inside which again will drop currency.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I got to the second boss with barely any health. I’m in the crowd that wishes there was more progression with each death. Just because you have to travel all the way back. It’s an awesome game, but it’s a little annoying. I’m all for skill with a reward too, but there comes a point where it’s just more work than it is skill.

saintjules

Beat the 2nd Boss earlier and in the 3rd Biome now. That fight was awesome. Will resume tomorrow.

Last edited:
My friend came over and we took turns playing this for a few hours it was very cool. I am liking it more and more. Still have not even found the first boss ha I am taking my time learning this game and exploring.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’ve had the room where you can craft stuff lock me out of progression three times now. That’s so annoying. I was on a good run too. About to enter a gate, full health, healing item ready, and my personal choice of weapon. Then nothing, can’t open the doors, the portal isn’t responding, and then having no other choice but to end the run. That alone is wasting your time. It gives you so many reasons to enjoy the game, but they need to patch this game soon.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just wasted an amazing weapon with damage over time perk in biome 3. It was shredding everything so fast i got distracted and went the other way instead of climbing the tower. I finally came back, and first room had six turrets and like ten enemies. I killed all the enemies and used the grapple to go up but it crashed me into wall and i fell and lost almost all my health. The shield turrets finished the job....

The gun would've destroyed the boss with the damage over time perk.

I really think they missed a trick here with the malfunction chests and bad parasites. The best buffs are in there but they completely destroy the flow of the combat. There are zero perks active in any given run if you skip these chests and it makes the game boring, hard and plain. If they just remove all the debuffs the game will be a lot more fun. I would even replay it.

OneTruth

Banned
I’ve had the room where you can craft stuff lock me out of progression three times now. That’s so annoying. I was on a good run too. About to enter a gate, full health, healing item ready, and my personal choice of weapon. Then nothing, can’t open the doors, the portal isn’t responding, and then having no other choice but to end the run. That alone is wasting your time. It gives you so many reasons to enjoy the game, but they need to patch this game soon.

+1

Without patch this game is joke...

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I think the game is balanced just fine.

For pretty much everything in the game it is the random nature of things that keeps messing with the players.
You can be OP so quickly in the game when things work in your favour.

The game itself isn't super hard it's some of the runs that come across as over the top difficult.

had a good round today, made it to the 4th biome for act 2

anyone have any act 2 tips? Weapon suggestions? Biome 3 was useful with the rocket launcher

resetting all the stats for biome 4 kinda sucks...

Con-Z-epT

had a good round today, made it to the 4th biome for act 2

anyone have any act 2 tips? Weapon suggestions? Biome 3 was useful with the rocket launcher

resetting all the stats for biome 4 kinda sucks...
Weapon proficiency is at 15 and you don't have to start from biome 1 again.

NikuNashi

Man just had a good run through biome 1. Slowly going back to the ship everytime to sleep and get full energy, using energy to increase health bar. Got the 25% increase upgrade to health bar. The walked into a room and lockdown. Stuck with two crazy enemies and got my ass handed to me. 1 hour play time gone.

Roufianos

Beautiful game, love the sound and control functionality too, core gameplay is solid enough.

Put in on eBay though. This was my first experience with a rogue like and my last. Not a fan of the loop at all.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Bought the game for ~$45.
B566OE6.jpg
But I wonder if I should play it now or wait for a few performance related patches - judging by DF video, the game's performance is not ideal yet even after Day 1 patch.

NikuNashi

Can someone answer this question please. If I beat the boss on biome 1 then in the next biome die do I have to playthrough the whole of the first biome again or are there teleporters activated or is it a shorter generated route?

Last edited:

NewChoppa

Banned
Can someone answer this question please. If I beat the boss on biome 1 then in the next biome die do I have to playthrough the whole of the first biome again or are there teleporters activated or is it a shorter generated route?

There’ll be a much shorter route to the next biome. Keep an eye out for a blue door with a circle above it on the minimap, that’s usually the way to go to get to the next area. Usually you’ll find it within the first 5-10 minutes of a run

Con-Z-epT

Once you defeated the first boss and reached the second biome you don't have to fight the first boss again and you can go "directly" to the second biome.

"Directly" because it depends on where the gate room spawns that lets you teleport to biome 2.

It can be anywhere.

tommib

Gold Member
Bought the game for ~$45.
B566OE6.jpg
But I wonder if I should play it now or wait for a few performance related patches - judging by DF video, the game's performance is not ideal yet even after Day 1 patch.
I’ve been playing the game non stop and haven’t felt any performance issues. It runs like a dream. I had a friend who came over and actually asked if it was running at 120 fps. Don’t be distracted by the fps autists from digital foundry.

Crashes and freezes are thing though but apparently they are related to the preorder bonus suits.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
nah, you just got lucky with the first two worlds. i beat the first world in like an hour or two. i think i only died once.

world 2 was insane. i kept getting moments like that where all of a sudden people would gang up on me, or i would just get the shittiest RNG. took me 6 maybe 8 hours to beat.

world 3 has been challenging but ok so far. there is no difficulty increase. its all RNG.
I don't know about that as everytime I go back I still find it easy regardless of what they throw at me.

bender

What time is it?
Got the last level on my sixth run. It's pretty annoying what happens to your character after you beat the third boss and almost makes me want to not play anymore. Other annoyances include limiting how many artifacts you can equip (I'd assume parasites have a similar limiter) and how flipping long the runs last. I think I clocked in at 5 hours on that run.

N30RYU

Gold Member
I can't get over it... this game is like FIFA... not a single enemy on the bridge (for 4 times) you open after returning from the desert... made a long run through every room from every zone to get more hp... and money to buy medkits... and they droped me 6 flying kamikaze ships mid bridge with no way to cover and they fucked up all my potions...

I understand the game have some shortcuts... like not needing to beat every time the first boss to open the portal... the teleport to skip climbing the mountain... or the bridge... but the 5 (or 9) weapon mastery they give you if you use the shortcuts... it's not worth not increasing your HP or getting medkits... but I feel like they cheated the RNG to fuck my medkits and just wasted a lot of time for nothing.

I don't know anymore if it's better to make a run for it to the bridge and get good climbing it... or just waste my time again grinding for HP and medkits... the sentry towers with pulse bombs is what annoys me the most climbing that part...

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
its because you are using the pre order suits.

Con-Z-epT

The game now crashed for me for the first time.

Picture frozen, audio was completely freaking out and i had to reset the console.

The game is to difficult even for the Playstation. :messenger_winking:

Darak

I thought I wouldn't mind the death penalty since I assumed there would be some kind of meaningful meta-progression, but I was wrong. Every run feels like a massive waste of time, and not being able to turn off the console or play another game without losing your progress is simply nonsense (not to mention losing potentially hours of progress if the game crashes).

Combat feels really good, but those roguelike components ruin the game for me.

Con-Z-epT

I thought I wouldn't mind the death penalty since I assumed there would be some kind of meaningful meta-progression, but I was wrong.
You get a lot of Ether and a Datacube here and there which enables you to unlock new equipment and artifacts that will be permanently appear throughout your next playthroughs.

Gargauth

I thought I wouldn't mind the death penalty since I assumed there would be some kind of meaningful meta-progression, but I was wrong. Every run feels like a massive waste of time, and not being able to turn off the console or play another game without losing your progress is simply nonsense (not to mention losing potentially hours of progress if the game crashes).

Combat feels really good, but those roguelike components ruin the game for me.
I don't understand reviewers saying stuff like "cleverly designed" gameplay systems. It's simply false. It is a good game, with very polished combat and movement. That alone makes it fun to play. It's got intriguing atmosphere, but there are huge and glaring shortcomings.

Jeff Grubb got a flak here for his review, implying he should not be trusted for his bias towards Xbox. I didn't read his review fully fully, just the excerpt on opencritic, and I have to say he is one of the few that points out these flaws. He might have been overly harsh though, because despite its shortcoming it is still fun as hell to play. But these shortcomings are so severe in this genre, exacerbated by the difficulty that they simply cannot be overlooked nor ignored.

drotahorror

What do you do in those rooms where the ground is all red and hurts if you touch it? Do I just have to eat the damage if I want to cross?

Con-Z-epT

What do you do in those rooms where the ground is all red and hurts if you touch it? Do I just have to eat the damage if I want to cross?
You will get something later on that makes you invulnerable to this.

Last edited:

SCB3

Finally got to the 2nd boss and he didn't seem too hard actually, my only issue was my lack of health and a bad Gun (the Spitmaw really is bad for bosses so far, both are ranged attacks where there is not a lot of room to get up close) and almost had his 2nd HP bar down

Still fuck those Doom Marauders, they are some unfun bs at times, my question is now, is it easier to get to the boss now?

Darak

You get a lot of Ether and a Datacube here and there which enables you to unlock new equipment and artifacts that will be permanently appear throughout your next playthroughs.
It's just not enough IMHO, to the point I have a pervasive feeling of wasting my time as I play the game. Messages like yours made me think even a bad run would make the main character stronger somehow, so there will always be some kind of progress, but that's not the case at all. More often than not, I get absolutely nothing after a run, even after playing for one hour or so. Sure, I get some Ether currency I could exchange for random consumables, but it never felt very useful.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Good god this game is incredible. I mean, holy shit. Everything I see and feel in Returnal just screams about things I love to death from visual design and art, to outstanding gameplay/gunplay, exploration and Metroid Prime-like level/map design, absolutely outstanding sound design and soundtrack.

Almost killed the first boss first try with really good weapon, artifacts etc. but the third phase... I need to practice more.

Top Bottom