• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Finally got to the 2nd boss and he didn't seem too hard actually, my only issue was my lack of health and a bad Gun (the Spitmaw really is bad for bosses so far, both are ranged attacks where there is not a lot of room to get up close) and almost had his 2nd HP bar down

Still fuck those Doom Marauders, they are some unfun bs at times, my question is now, is it easier to get to the boss now?
A portal should appear at the end of the desert before you enter the building I'm world 2. It will take you to the boss.

SCB3

A portal should appear at the end of the desert before you enter the building I'm world 2. It will take you to the boss.
ah good so I can just rush through Biome 1 and then to the Portal to the boss? I feel like all I need is a decent Carbine Roll and a Heath Consumable for him, he was very easy to dodge when I barely had any health

Biff

What controller bindings are everyone using?

I just tried to switch to L1 Dash / R1 Jump mid-run as I hated taking my thumb off the right stick for jump/dash during fights.

Muscle memory instantly killed me on the next big fight lol. I think I may keep dash on L1 but go back to jump for X.

Almost got the first boss this time. It was my third attempt.
It really helped me to play the game by changing the dodge and jump to L1 and R1.

But I still suck at the game after 5 hours. This is my first roguelike.

The graphics, sound and gameplay are superb but I'm not into the no save feature. It feels quite frustrating.

The changing level design really makes exploring new territory into a thing you are always doing. Which is pretty cool. I just died and found a bunch of the level has changed but a bunch is the same, pretty neat to explore and see what I recognize and what I don't.

My friend was telling me over and over how this is "The 3rd person Metroid game Nintendo should have made" and I kinda agree!

DonJorginho

Banned
This game has broken me.

I finally get past the arenas leading up to the final boss in Biome 3, my health is a little on the ropes but I have an astronaut figurine and a level 12 gun, I'm thinking perfect, I get to boss 3 and my god is it breathtaking, but the thing is, I wasn't finding it hard at first, but I was an idiot and was shooting the wrong area so was thinking why the boss wasn't taking any damage and my frustration led to me getting fucked up by the yellow laser beam and coming back to life, I then realise where the weak point is and go ham, I get all the way to the third phase, great.

I am zipping around, shooting at the boss and avoiding all the projectiles, and he is finally down to his last smidge of health for the last phase, I can feel the accomplishment nearing me, the celebrations about to ensue, the ability to say I got past biome 3, and as I'm zipping to a new rock, the yellow laser has started firing midway and upon my landing where you're locked essentially, I die.

An hour and 45 minute run, for nothing.

I suck, I REALLY suck.

Over It Abandon Thread GIF

Puncheur

My anxiety is going to prevent me from getting good at this! I love the game, the world building, gun play etc. But knowing that death is so permanent is sending my anxiety through the roof, especially when I come across an area in lockdown! This game demands your attention, you can't play casually. Only played a couple of hours, I think I managed to reach the 1st boss but the game froze before I entered the arena. Another session tonight, hopefully I'll make some permanent progress.

SlimySnake

Are they seriously making me go thru both worlds 1 and 2 before even getting to world 3?

I swear there used to be a shortcut to go straight to world 3. This is so stupid lol

RNG has been brutal. I lost 30 minutes of progress in worlds 1 and 2 by dying in the second room of world 3 because they spawned like 20 enemies with honing missiles. Yay?

Figured no one would believe me so i recorded it.

Who designed thks game lol feels like amateur hour.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I had no major problems as of now to fight through the game.
Conquered every biome in 2 or 3 tries and beat every boss, except the first one, on my first try.

But biome number 5 has stopped my progression completely.
Everything in this level relentlessly craves for my life.

I think it's time to accuse Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem of witchcraft.
Additionally, his ignorance in regards to the game's difficulty level is extremely worrying. :messenger_winking:

I will take a break. I played an unhealthy amount of Returnal over the weekend. And loved it!

Con-Z-epT

Definitely kill the drones first! They are the biggest threat.
You can relatively easy avoid the big crawling robots.
And use the grappling hook while you fight. This probably helped me the most.

And most importantly don't jump into the pit! :messenger_winking:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I had no major problems as of now to fight through the game.
Conquered every biome in 2 or 3 tries and beat every boss, except the first one, on my first try.

But biome number 5 has stopped my progression completely.
Everything in this level relentlessly craves for my life.

I think it's time to accuse Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem of witchcraft.
Additionally, his ignorance in regards to the game's difficulty level is extremely worrying. :messenger_winking:

I will take a break. I played an unhealthy amount of Returnal over the weekend. And loved it!

My Omani friend actually finished Returnal in just 8 hours. I can assure you that if I push myself I can cut it down to around around 6 hours with extensive exploration due to the current upgrades. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Just wasted an amazing weapon with damage over time perk in biome 3. It was shredding everything so fast i got distracted and went the other way instead of climbing the tower. I finally came back, and first room had six turrets and like ten enemies. I killed all the enemies and used the grapple to go up but it crashed me into wall and i fell and lost almost all my health. The shield turrets finished the job....

The gun would've destroyed the boss with the damage over time perk.

I really think they missed a trick here with the malfunction chests and bad parasites. The best buffs are in there but they completely destroy the flow of the combat. There are zero perks active in any given run if you skip these chests and it makes the game boring, hard and plain. If they just remove all the debuffs the game will be a lot more fun. I would even replay it.
Explain more please, i completely ignore infected chests.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Are they seriously making me go thru both worlds 1 and 2 before even getting to world 3?

I swear there used to be a shortcut to go straight to world 3. This is so stupid lol

RNG has been brutal. I lost 30 minutes of progress in worlds 1 and 2 by dying in the second room of world 3 because they spawned like 20 enemies with honing missiles. Yay?

That is one of the hardest places in the whole game! I had to escape from that spot. As I said before, don't fucking be a hero in such places. One of the worse pranks was elevating to a very small room, very tight with 3 of those sentients or what's they're called that have a sword in the Crimson area, nearly died but barely managed.

In such places you just fucking escape, also this guy has one of the worst weapons ever. Stick to Hollowseeker, or at least carbine. Those zombie machines you go to them then dash away because they're suicidal, and that's it you've spared yourself from that headache. The hovering machines are one of the hardest because you need to time your dashes precisely. Just keep running or sprint and jump to the next area and fight from a distance.

Keep ignoring them, that's the right choice. Only open them if you have a malfunction fixer consumable, and don't do more than 2 malfunctions because you just lose what's next so it's pointless.

Last edited:

SCB3

It supposed to be easy to blast through 1 and 2 to get back to 3, its not, buts its supposed to be

I am however starting to feel a bit more comfy with how to handle playing, like a run or 2 and then play something else, I suppose that's how I treated Hades and Rogue Legacy.

I've also realised that I have a lot of Rogue Likes to play

Also the Shotgun is game is fucking awful so far, its great for the first area but everything else is so range focussed it feels pointless

Last edited:

bargeparty

Not saying that isn't a tough fight but you stayed in basically one spot. For the crawlers i try to get up high and just cheese them. I would've even considered going back the way i came and fight the bots at a distance.

I hate those fuckers, they're cheap.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not saying that isn't a tough fight but you stayed in basically one spot. For the crawlers i try to get up high and just cheese them. I would've even considered going back the way i came and fight the bots at a distance.

In simply run away, then wait in a place that is advantageous to me if anything, or just run away and fight from a distance and comeback and clear them out.

3rd biome was the hardest and has the toughest enemies. 4th, 5th, 6th were pretty easy overall.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Is there any chance this gets patched with auto save during runs?

I've heard if it crashes, and some have been having crashing issues, you lose all your progress. That blows.

I hate roguelike games, but I was willing to give this a try because it looked fun and was a bit different of a flavor. But the more I hear about the game, the more I doubt it'll be for me.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

The hardest enemies of 3rd is the flying machines with fast rockets and that fucking big robot. Main boss isn't that hard, not easy though. After that you won't respawn back to biome 1, you'll respawn to biome 4 if you lose progress, I believe, because after my early 2 respawns I simply went from biome 1 to 6 and beaten the game within 9-8 hours total for one run.

Is there any chance this gets patched with auto save during runs?

I've heard if it crashes, and some have been having crashing issues, you lose all your progress. That blows.

I hate roguelike games, but I was willing to give this a try because it looked fun and was a bit different of a flavor. But the more I hear about the game, the more I doubt it'll be for me.

They more than likely will be adding a save option

The hardest enemies of 3rd is the flying machines with fast rockets and that fucking big robot. Main boss isn't that hard, not easy though. After that you won't respawn back to biome 1, you'll respawn to biome 4 if you lose progress, I believe, because after my early 2 respawns I simply went from biome 1 to 6 and beaten the game within 9-8 hours total for one run.

Is it possible to travel between the biomes?

Con-Z-epT

I think the third biome wasn't too bad except for the drones and their kamikaze attacks. Once i knew exactly when to dodge they weren't too bad.
I also liked to fight the robots.

Biome number 4 is also manageable except for some of those elite mobs.

The Kerberonyx in the 5th biome are my biggest problems as of now.
Those damn energy beams and the purple rings driving my nuts.
When you have two ore three of them you die so fast. And they can take so much damage.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Is it possible to travel between the biomes?

Tried it yesterday, and seems no. You can go forward, but not backwards. After beating the game you can go straight from biome 1 to biome 4 (Act 2) inside the ship in the cargo door there will be a weird chair for that. Also you can go from biome 1 straight to biome 3 in 1-3 minutes.

decisions

NeoGAF before Returnal came out: “Gaming journalists clearly won’t understand this game since it will be too hard for them. Only us true gamers will understand!!!!1!1”

NeoGAF after Returnal came out:
“Wah wah the game is too fing hard for me, clearly the RNG isn’t well-balanced enough to perfectly demonstrate my elite gamer skillz!!!”

/s I know most people aren't acting this way

Also is there any way to view your placement in previous daily challenges? Yesterday when I ran the one with the Electropylon I got 6th place, but I wonder how stable that ranking was by the end of the challenge...

Last edited:
Tried it yesterday, and seems no. You can go forward, but not backwards. After beating the game you can go straight from biome 1 to biome 4 (Act 2) inside the ship in the cargo door there will be a weird chair for that. Also you can go from biome 1 straight to biome 3 in 1-3 minutes.

Thank you my queen

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think the third biome wasn't too bad except for the drones and their kamikaze attacks. Once i knew exactly when to dodge they weren't too bad.
I also liked to fight the robots.

Biome number 4 is also manageable except for some of those elite mobs.

The Kerberonyx in the 5th biome are my biggest problems as of now.
Those damn energy beams and the purple rings driving my nuts.
When you have two ore three of them you die so fast. And they can take so much damage.

One of the easiest ones. Don't be afraid, run towards it and slash that mofo with melee and kill it in 3-4 blows only. Very, very easy. Same with that stinky tree-like guy, 2-3 blows and he's done.

Last edited:

decisions

One of the easiest ones. Don't be afraid, run towards it and slash that mofo with melee and kill it in 3-4 blows only. Very, very easy. Same with that stinky tree-like guy, 2-3 blows and he's done.
I get the sense people really underestimate how powerful melee is in this game. For a big enemy, chain it with your special attack and you'll almost certainly stun them. Most enemies can be finished in a single stun if you choose to focus all your firepower on them.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm gonna give it a slash.

Have you seen the Holloseeker weapon? That thing is OP as fuck!

I get the sense people really underestimate how powerful melee is in this game. For a big enemy, chain it with your special attack and you'll almost certainly stun them. Most enemies can be finished in a single stun if you choose to focus all your firepower on them.

You can melee or focus on the red spots (weakpoints). That can be pretty fast with a hollowseeker weapon.

Last edited:

saintjules

Biome 3 shortcut for those that may not know.

Once you get the grappling hook from Boss 2, there's a way to go straight to Biome 3 from 1. When you die and restart you can build your character in Biome 1 if you choose to and instead of going to the portal to reach Biome 2, follow the orange objective indicator. You'll get to an area where you can grapple your way up to the large double doors. Takes you right to the entrance to Biome 3.

SlimySnake

Some chests and parasites have great bonuses like 10% extra damage or 15% extra defense. But they come at a cost so high you are like fuck it im not even gonna touch it. If they remove the negative buffs, it would make the runs feel much better. Right now players are leaving half of the loot which makes every run feel boring.
That is one of the hardest places in the whole game! I had to escape from that spot. As I said before, don't fucking be a hero in such places. One of the worse pranks was elevating to a very small room, very tight with 3 of those sentients or what's they're called that have a sword in the Crimson area, nearly died but barely managed.

In such places you just fucking escape, also this guy has one of the worst weapons ever. Stick to Hollowseeker, or at least carbine. Those zombie machines you go to them then dash away because they're suicidal, and that's it you've spared yourself from that headache. The hovering machines are one of the hardest because you need to time your dashes precisely. Just keep running or sprint and jump to the next area and fight from a distance.

Keep ignoring them, that's the right choice. Only open them if you have a malfunction fixer consumable, and don't do more than 2 malfunctions because you just lose what's next so it's pointless.
That was me. I did try to escape but they got me.

Yeah. I tried escaping at the end but they can Kamikaze you as you run away. Happened twice now.
Isn't there always a shortcut from 1 to 3 after you've been in biome 3?
Not always. It's rng if you get taken to world 3 or world 2. You have to do the entire desert section to get to the portal to world 3.

Top Bottom