• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviewer gets death threats for giving 5.8 to Starfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member

F5FtPhzbMAA_mF1

Original Review

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Back when I worked at reddit, I discovered how insane internet people can truly be. I won’t go into too much detail, but I was actively shutting down some subreddits with questionably legal content, which upset more than a few people.

The worst that happened to me was when I got an email to my personal address that was a photograph of my parents’ house without any other context. (Presumably they thought I still lived there.)

Nothing ever happened, but it was incredibly creepy to know that someone physically traveled to my childhood home, took a picture, found my personal email address, and vaguely threatened me. The internet can be nuts.

Buggy Loop

How pathetic must one be to issue death threats because a game they like got a lower review rating. WTF is wrong with people these days.

Wasn't there a dude who said he would suicide if Starfield score under 90?

Mental illness, that's what's wrong with these peoples.

This kind of unacceptable behavior has, unfortunately, become all too familiar these days. I remember a couple of incidents in the past with a Zelda game and an Uncharted game, and now this. I'm sure there are many more of them out there.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Back when I worked at reddit, I discovered how insane internet people can truly be. I won’t go into too much detail, but I was actively shutting down some subreddits with questionably legal content, which upset more than a few people.

The worst that happened to me was when I got an email to my personal address that was a photograph of my parents’ house without any other context. (Presumably they thought I still lived there.)

Nothing ever happened, but it was incredibly creepy to know that someone physically traveled to my childhood home, took a picture, found my personal email address, and vaguely threatened me. The internet can be nuts.

Redditors are the most unhinged people on the internet, people talk about twitter and 4chan, but that's because they never interacted with a mentally ill terminally online redditor.

justonething

Jada's BFF
Everyone gets death threats for everything. It's objectively bad to threaten to kill anyone we can all agree. You report and move on, what exactly is there to discuss? Pointless thread.

oji-san

Banned
The whole idea of hobbies is to have fun, ffs people making gaming look so bad, who cares about low score? i agree there's no way this game is 5 and even 7 looks low but man, instead of enjoying your time playing people care about reviews and other nonsense, thank god i don't care about reviews and enjoy the games i like.

StueyDuck

And people get cross at me on here when I call out social media and how terrible it is.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Remember folks, it's not ok to send anyone death threats if they reviewed a game you anticipated low.

MiguelItUp

It's beyond unfortunate how common this kind of behavior is in the gaming community/industry. It's gross beyond words. I wish folks would just understand that opinions are a thing, and they exist, lmao. But it's clear that that's something folks of all ages continue to struggle with. Just SO bizarre how some take it SO personally as if they worked hand over fist on something when they had absolutely nothing to do with it, lmao.

Edit: I SHOULD say entertainment community/industry, cause you unfortunately see stuff like this related to music, tv, films, etc. It's just gross.

Last edited:

adamsapple

You’re in the other thread implying that one of the low-scoring reviewers might be part of a conspiracy to trash the Xbox brand.

You’re obviously part of this culture so this is a funny post to see from you.

That's some reach equating me being critical of one reviewers responses and correlating with another reviewer getting death threats.

LakeOf9

Congrats to Xbox for getting your very own version of the insane TLOU/Zelda fanboys

Seriously what the fuck is wrong with people

calistan

To be fair it's not 100% a death threat - I've seen enough horror films to suggest he may well be able to survive being skinned.

Montauk

That's some reach equating me being critical of one reviewers responses and correlating with another reviewer getting death threats.

It’s the bit where you’re baselessly taking part in an extreme behaviour that makes you similar to them.

If you think that accusing a reviewer of taking part in a conspiracy because they simply rated a game lower than you wanted it to be isn’t part of the same toxic behaviour responsible for this, then you’re wrong.

It’s not a reach because you’re indulging in the same paranoid, hostile reaction.

Given the way you talk on here, how do we know you aren’t sending this guy shitty aggressive tweets, even if well short of death threats?

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

This is no where near that important enough to threaten someone's life over. The fact someone felt like this was appropriate is absolutely pathetic. People who do stuff like this should be locked up and put under the jail.

Banjo64

cumsessed
How does anyone take those threats seriously... fat greasy tards spewing bs.
I mean. People have been killed over similar.

Daniel Petric murdered his parents for confiscating his copy of Halo 3.

You don’t know what sort of nut job you are dealing with online. Just look at adamsapple adamsapple for example. (For the benefit of the doubt that is obviously a joke pal)

Last edited:

Kilau

It’s the bit where you’re baselessly taking part in an extreme behaviour that makes you similar to them.

If you think that accusing a reviewer of taking part in a conspiracy because they simply rated a game lower than you wanted it to be isn’t part of the same toxic behaviour responsible for this, then you’re wrong.

It’s not a reach because you’re indulging in the same paranoid, hostile reaction.

Given the way you talk on here, how do we know you aren’t sending this guy shitty aggressive tweets, even if well short of death threats?
Nah, knock that off.

It’s amazing in this time of AI death threats and other hateful content isn’t filtered out automatically so no one can really post this crap, yet at the same time it’s ok to block and sue users for the most trivial things.

They should start with a traceable id online so in worst cases you will be found. Yes it’s not open, yes it’s more strict, but with sufficient moderation and high quality laws it doesn’t t have to be 1984.

It’s ridiculous you can go to prison because of one death threat someone accused you of saying even if you didn’t do it, but you can spew a million death threats on the internet with zero repercussions.

adamsapple

You don’t know what sort of nut job you are dealing with online. Just look at adamsapple adamsapple for example.

slice-execute.gif

Excellent.

christoph waltz nod GIF

kyussman

Death threats on the internet over bullshit....it's like calling someone a nazi or racist....means fuck all these days,lol.

Bernoulli

M2 slut

Reddit is crazy they ban everyone that doesn't follow the narrative gaming's subs became an echo chamber

Death threats on the internet over bullshit....it's like calling someone a nazi or racist....means fuck all these days,lol.
Until there’s one that’s serious and that’s the end of you. Also, no one should have to endure death threats. It’s barbaric and only shows the weak mental state of the poster who is out of arguments and reason.

Kataploom

Gold Member
This behavior is absurd and childish, yet Meristation has a fame of being too disproportionately pro-Sony, there are constant complaints from people and YouTubers of them bullshitting on whatever Nintendo and Xbox in a pasive aggressive way to then self victimize on social media, so I saw all this coming 😂

Basically the Spanish version of polygon.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

There are lunatics on the internet, it is what it is.

The sad part of it is that people that throw threats out there as a joke make it harder to notice the deranged people that want to follow through. A sad behavior even for the people that aren't serious.

mrmustard

Banned
He got exactly what he wanted: Attention
Besides that what pathetic creature must you be to threat people over a video game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom