• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riot will now hardware ban toxic players in Valorant

this would be super cool if these companies definition of 'toxic player' wasn't someone who said "fuck" once in a match
I wonder that too.
I don't play much mp, but I think I never encountered serious trash talking ever. I don't really care for the foulest language possible or even death threats from random people could not really bother me much, so I am not sure if this plan means that or rather also fucked up anti team behavior in the game itself, which bothers me more.
Inherently I avoid mp stuff because of the variability of anyone's contribution, be it accidently bad or purposely disruptive or cheating their way to some imaginery success. AI tools might filter that in the future, but for now, mp is always some level of chaos and thus too much luck involved. Obsceneity is a small problem compared to that for me.

DaGwaphics

The wild wild west of X360 Halo/CoD lobbies will never be recaptured.

I think some of the newer generation of gamers take trash talking like way way too far to the point it does seem more like harassment.
Its not like the trash talk of yore that was to psych you out or just piss you off......this talk is straight up hateful.

I agree. Plus, I think they want to grow the audience for these online experiences which means trying to court players outside the traditional player base. These new players may be less tolerant to this type of thing than the X360 lobbies of old.

Does this include PC? If yes, what hardware ID are they logging. Would be a bummer to have to start worrying about a GPU/CPU/Motherboard being banned in games when searching around the used market.

tommib

Gold Member
Gay opinion. A lot of things sound good on the surface but just do not work in practice. Harrassment is part of online gaming, the hostility teaches people that growing a thick skin and ignoring negativity is required for success. If you give up right away then you are just a loser who cannot handle adversity of the real world. Also learning how to return banter is just as good a skill as hand-eye coordination. When girls come into the scene and start morality lecturing, everybody loses. Who wants to play valorant like a bunch of kindergartners forced to use good manners in a game featuring competitive violence. Are you going to overcome a would-be mugger or rapist with respect and kindness? Theres a time and place for different behaviors and if you dont like a particular one, maybe its not your job to start womansplaining it to them.
The birth of a new copypasta. Haven’t witnessed this in years.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I could reverse that accusation right back at you. What happened in your life that made you so sensitive to reality and need a censorious shield for you to be comfortable? Get bullied? Never had to learn anything the hard way, pampered and fragile? Do you get nervous with confrontation?
Again, you missed my point but that is to be expected based on your replies.

The delivery of her message was great. I don’t give a shit about the content of her message, she was incredibly poised and authentic imo.

Anyone can disagree with what she said but how she delivered it was spot on.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Does this include PC? If yes, what hardware ID are they logging. Would be a bummer to have to start worrying about a GPU/CPU/Motherboard being banned in games when searching around the used market.

Valorant isnt on console.
No Riot games are on console.

From my understanding alot of HWID bans actually just use the motherboards HWID or a MAC address and ban that.
You are unlikely to change your motherboard for one game cuz of all the issues that come with changing motherboards.

You can check your PCs UUID running:
wmic csproduct get UUID

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Man, I just love me all that thrash talking in professional sports. Oh wait, there’s very little of that and a lot of mutual self respect among athletes because they are fucking adults.
Yeah, no. I’m not sure what game this is but have you set on the sidelines of a soccer match, football, basketball? Have you heard what they say to each tower? Other than the N word thrown out every 10 seconds, they are constantly insulting each other to try to change the tide of the play or the game, talking about their mothers, doing drive bys on family members, saying anything to get in the head of the opponent.

I’m not sure what professional sports you are actually at, but TV doesn’t show you on court or on field action and talking and it is very bad and worse than any lobby on a video game console.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Valorant isnt on console.
No Riot games are on console.

From my understanding alot of HWID bans actually just use the motherboards HWID or a MAC address and ban that.
You are unlikely to change your motherboard for one game cuz of all the issues that come with changing motherboards.

You can check your PCs UUID running:
wmic csproduct get UUID

Had not realized this was not on console, shows how much attention I pay to Valorant. I typically never buy used MBs anyway, but this will be something to consider for those that do.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
How big is the chance to this be the soul reason of their death?

I hope to be the biggest and die as soon as possible

Sophist

hardware ban? how'd they gonna do that?
oh right, they have a rootkit disguised as an anticheat.

but the reality there is no way they will enforce this fairly so they'll just resort to an automated process which will inevitably lead to abuse and false bans.

A Trusted Platform Module is required to run Windows 11. Every TPM has an unique key that can be verified using the hardware constructor certificate.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
How big is the chance to this be the soul reason of their death?

I hope to be the biggest and die as soon as possible
zEfiZbo.gif

It's not hard to avoid any ban by having an ounce of self control not to be a doucherag. Problem is people think they're entitled to say whatever whenever regardless of whatever rules that particular game sets up. Even more hilarious are them acting like that toxic behavior is actually some kind of beneficial altruism gifting their victims...something. Watching the meltdowns of people eating hardware bans is going to be juicy. Now if only more games did this.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Athletics and tennis.
Touche, good sir. But, you’re talking about like Agassi, Sampras, Jimmy Connors, Grafh, beginning of Williams sisters time right? Right? Today there is such a wide gap of talent just in the top ten of men’s and womens.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Touche, good sir. But, you’re talking about like Agassi, Sampras, Jimmy Connors, Grafh, beginning of Williams sisters time right? Right? Today there is such a wide gap of talent just in the top ten of men’s and womens.
Then again maybe you’re right. Yesterday French Open banned alcohol because spectators were acting like animals during matches.

FeralEcho

Remembering the time my mate typed "we died like dogs" in apex and caught a ban 💀
The offense brought upon dogs that day was an act of pure cruelty and something that can never be forgiven.

Well Done Good Job GIF by Jason Clarke

Seriously though,just how far are we gonna let this insanity ruin our entertainment? Fuck these mentally challenged degenerates and their glass feelings,what a bunch of crybabies,a disgrace to the people that actually had to fight to survive,not this manufactured bullshit about hurt feelings...

"oh no mommy, someone called me a cunt on Valorant what can I do,maybe stop crying like a cunt son and grow a fucking spine"

They do know,they can mute others or just stop playing if they feel so hurt,right?

Fun fact,I had someone message me after a Halo Infinite mp match and tell me I'm an asshole cuz he could've won the game if I wasnt selfishly going hunting the enemy team in a team deathmatch game.

I started laughing and moved on lol,how is it that hard for people to ignore this shit in the same way lol just mute the person if it bothers you

Last edited:
It's not hard to avoid any ban by having an ounce of self control not to be a doucherag. Problem is people think they're entitled to say whatever whenever regardless of whatever rules that particular game sets up. Even more hilarious are them acting like that toxic behavior is actually some kind of beneficial altruism gifting their victims...something. Watching the meltdowns of people eating hardware bans is going to be juicy. Now if only more games did this.
This opinion is even gayer than the original! Because nothing bad ever happens to good people, right? Keep on laughing smugbro, you good little rule follower

This opinion is even gayer than the original! Because nothing bad ever happens to good people, right? Keep on laughing smugbro, you good little rule follower
I own up to my actions including any bans that come from it. Clearly not everyone can.

And honestly, using gay as an insult still? Let it go, it was never cute or funny.

kiphalfton

Gold Member
How much more sterile can online multiplayer get? Remember the good ole days of gen 7 with public chat? Ah, those were the days. Now we have silent matches if you're not in a private party. What's next, body-sized condoms that must be worn at all times?

Hard times create strong men.
Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men.
And, weak men create hard times.

The bolded is where we are at right now.

I see the discussion about this is being as disingenuous as I expected.

You all know it's targeted for people who say big boy slurs, not just swearing.

Yep.

"Hey, lemme joke about raping this chick on stream in a totally menacing way. I'll find her address just for the lolz".

Nah people taking it that far probably need to be arrested & charged, not just banned from a game. I don't think people having typical rage moments, swearing, or obvious friends taking jabs at each other is going to become an issue, or anything near ban-worthy.

So whats considered "toxic"

And can't you just mute and block others that are acting a fool

Dunno. I think threatening to rape a player on stream in voice chat is pretty toxic, no?

Last edited:

Facism

The offense brought upon dogs that day was an act of pure cruelty and something that can never be forgiven.

Well Done Good Job GIF by Jason Clarke

Seriously though,just how far are we gonna let this insanity ruin our entertainment? Fuck these mentally challenged degenerates and their glass feelings,what a bunch of crybabies,a disgrace to the people that actually had to fight to survive,not this manufactured bullshit about hurt feelings...

"oh no mommy, someone called me a cunt on Valorant what can I do,maybe stop crying like a cunt son and grow a fucking spine"

They do know,they can mute others or just stop playing if they feel so hurt,right?

Fun fact,I had someone message me after a Halo Infinite mp match and tell me I'm an asshole cuz he could've won the game if I wasnt selfishly going hunting the enemy team in a team deathmatch game.

I started laughing and moved on lol,how is it that hard for people to ignore this shit in the same way lol just mute the person if it bothers you

For real, imagine playing a game where you shoot random strangers with guns and these same people are too soft to deal with shit-talk. Like, the mute button is right there. Any outrage or little-dick feelings these people are getting are of their own fault. They can click a button and make it stop, but they won't, because they're narcissists caught in a dissonant loop constantly looking for ways to be a victim.

Pop

Dunno. I think threatening to rape a player on stream in voice chat is pretty toxic, no?
uhhh yea

But what's that got to do with what I asked? I want to know whats the bare minimum considered for being toxic. Because that can swing massively

And again, mute and block. Then report and move on

DaGwaphics

Hard times create strong men.
Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men.
And, weak men create hard times.

The bolded is where we are at right now.

I'd worry more about soft heads, tbh.

A quadriplegic might trash talk with the best of them, a body builder that can break you in half in a second may be mild mannered. I'd keep that in mind. As thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best mentioned, people act insane at times on the internet, those that go way too far should be removed to allow everyone else to enjoy themselves. Now, every banned person will claim innocence, and there will be bad faith reports and all that, that's up to the dev to get right.

Last edited:

Miles708

Maybe I'm missing something but... Isn't it easier to force a game-wide "mute" on the player? So no one can hear/read him or her.

This way you don't have to dabble with hardware locks and all kinds of spyware, while the troll can keep to play the game he paid for without bothering others.

Am i missing something?

Last edited:

Boss Man

“Muting is a tool, it’s not there to justify bad behaviors,”
It’s a tool to avoid hearing people if they bother you.

Beyond that, they’re just punishing speech to try and teach a lesson like a nanny. And the people doing this (controlling your “behavior”) are struggling with severe mental illness.

Sounds like a fun video game!

Last edited:

Life Diff

Neo Member
I see the discussion about this is being as disingenuous as I expected.

You all know it's targeted for people who say big boy slurs, not just swearing.
You've clearly never had the displeasure of dealing with Riot Support. They talk like a cult, also NUMEROUS reports over the years showing how rubbish they are.

The anti cheat has been bricking people's PC and riot have been blaming the players 🤣 but sure champion the cult.

DaGwaphics

It’s a tool to avoid hearing people if they bother you.

Beyond that, they’re just punishing speech to try and teach a lesson like a nanny. And the people doing this (controlling your “behavior”) are struggling with severe mental illness.

Sounds like a fun video game!

I doubt there is any mental illness on the part of riot here. Just business suits trying to make money. If a minority of bad apples are ruining the social experience for the majority of players, those specific players are costing the company money by chasing away other customers.

There is a case to be made that a certain segment of society is too sensitive and is basically offended by everything. But it has to also be acknowledged that there is another segment that lives to be offensive for the sole purpose of being offensive and attacking others (mainly so they can cry about their free speech being taken away in situations that have nothing to do with free speech). Everyone in the middle just wants to play the game with a normal experience.

If you go on a tangent and start verbally attacking other customers at a Walmart or a McDonalds be prepared for them to show you the door. It's the same thing here, businesses don't have to put up with this nonsense at the expense of the rest of their customers. The majority of players will never experience being banned, because the majority are not behaving in this way to begin with.

Maybe I'm missing something but... Isn't it easier to force a game-wide "mute" on the player? So no one can hear/read him or her.

This way you don't have to dabble with hardware locks and all kinds of spyware, while the troll can keep to play the game he paid for without bothering others.

Am i missing something?

Agreed. I've always thought that some form of shadow banning would be a good idea, but it seems like companies never consider that. Even in the cases of the screenshots and all that, why not just let the users keep saving the shots they like but never include those in any algorithms that are sharing that content with others, etc.

Last edited:

SaiyanRaoh

I'd love to see the pussies that are complaining now in a Halo or COD lobby back in the day. We'd never hear from them again.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

Valorant, like any multiplayer game, has a toxicity problem. But the great news is that Riot Games is taking it seriously with the newly announced hardware ban.

In light of recent events, including Andrew Tate’s criticism for defending toxicity in Valorant, Riot has announced even more severe punishment for trolls and malicious actors. The short clip of a woman getting threats in the game triggered a whole discourse around “just muting” toxic players. However, Valorant studio head Anna Donlon doesn’t think it’s a solution.

Anna Donlon said.

The developer explained that the current system in Valorant, no matter how sturdy, is not enough. In response, Riot Games has launched a plan that includes stricter punishment for the “worst offenders.”

What are you going to do about Smurfs though? Nothing? K.

Relevant video. Skeptical of its authenticity but oh well

Good LORD 🤣

uhhh yea

But what's that got to do with what I asked? I want to know whats the bare minimum considered for being toxic. Because that can swing massively

And again, mute and block. Then report and move on

Bare minimum? Well, I guess anything involving slurs (actual slurs, like racial or homophobic slurs meant to attack someone) would be a good start. Then you've got stuff like hate raids, doxxing, threats of physical & sexual violence etc. being in the top echelon of stuff deserving a ban if not police investigations.

Like I said, friendly shit-talking or some sailor cursing, that's fine. Preferably not around kids, but then if the kid's in a lobby with adults that's where the kid's parents should step in. As for mute & block, or reporting...well that depends on how the game handles player interaction. Some games you can't play without verbal communication. Some games don't have decent mods who actually handle reporting seriously, so the toxic players just stick around going from game to game harassing people.

At the end of the day freedom of speech and responsibility with it goes both ways. Nothing is inherently stopping toxic players from being toxic in a community but why should responsible people who are paying into the community have to tolerate people actively trying to make their time worst? What's that saying, companies should tend to their majority of customers? Well if the toxic assholes are a minority of the player base and are the ones causing problems, why should the companies tolerate them at the expense of the vast majority of non-toxic players?

Last edited:

emmerrei

If anything nowadays is considered toxic, and they're doing all what they can to protect people, why they still make games where the main goal is to kill, people? Why is killing ok and a bunch of words not? This world works upsidedown.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

If anything nowadays is considered toxic, and they're doing all what they can to protect people, why they still make games where the main goal is to kill, people? Why is killing ok and a bunch of words not? This world works upsidedown.

What happens in the video game is fake, what happens over the comms involves real people (and let's be real, they have real wallets which is the primary concern :messenger_winking_tongue: ).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Translation, "Those toxic players, not the toxicity of our ideological alignment."

You know, these are the types that think Ree isn't a toxic haven on the gaming internets, at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom