• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robocop: Rogue City has excedeed NACON expectations and it's their most sucesseful launch ever

Duchess

It's actually funny that people should be asking for Judge Dredd game in light of RoboCop's success, given that RoboCop is said to have been the result of an aborted attempt to make a Dredd film.

You only have to look at RoboCop to see the influences.

And then there's that infamous line spoken in the movie, that just so happened to have been said by Dredd (in 1978):

ZUZAG.jpg

(OK, come quietly - or else there'll be trouble)

GymWolf

the good news: the return of successful double-a games!
the bad news: besides these guys, does anyone else still remember how to make genuinely good ones?...
They never left.

Plague tale 2
That action rythm game on xbox
Dave the diver (not an indie despite the graphic)
Remnant 2
Atomic heart
And so much more just this year.

AA never stopped winning, people just don't care about games that score below 85 on shittacritic or have shit memory in general (not talking about you specifically).

Last edited:
Ironic when the game is more polished than something like spidey 2.

You can find compilations of bugs for that game but barely anything for robo.
Well I encountered LOTS in the first 2 days of playing.

- Nonresponsive enemies
- Enemies just disappear after shooting them. Just POOF gone
- Weird ground texture glitch causing the roads to "sparkle" erraticaly
- Off sync dialogue

But thats about it and most have been fixed REALLY quick!

GymWolf

Well I encountered LOTS in the first 2 days of playing.

- Nonresponsive enemies
- Enemies just disappear after shooting them. Just POOF gone
- Weird ground texture glitch causing the roads to "sparkle" erraticaly
- Off sync dialogue

But thats about it and most have been fixed REALLY quick!
I only had enemies stucking in some walls and some textures loading after a while.

Spidey 2 has you playing as a cube of tofu sometimes :LOL:

Is the gameplay good? Haven't watched any gameplay or any reviews.
Or did you guys just like it because of pretty graphic and nostalgia?

It's a real question. Not trying to downplay the game. I don't have any game want to play atm so really considering to buy this.

Last edited:

It's a real question. Not trying to downplay the game. I don't have any game want to play atm so really considering to buy this.
It's actually a REALLY solid game!

Finished it 3 times in a time where videogame fatigue usually slaps me in the face halfway through. Second game I platinum'd in my VERY long list of games.
Way better than any other FPS out there. Gunplay and feel reminds me of BLACK.

And it's a looker. UE5 put to the test.

Visit the OT for impressions. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

Maybe you could try Trepang2. Very similar to Robo gameplay wise. But its a REALLY short game with no lore or anything.

Its 3 times cheaper though and also great fun.

GymWolf

Maybe you could try Trepang2. Very similar to Robo gameplay wise. But its a REALLY short game with no lore or anything.

Its 3 times cheaper though and also great fun.
Not a good comparison imho, robocop is a tanky fps, trapang is super acrobatic between air kicks, slides and shit.

Even the game structure is different, pretty linear vs sandbox with quiet moments and sidequests.

I think the only thing they share is the level of violence and a rallenty mode (that is fundamental in trapang and kinda of a nice accessory in robocop).

The closest thing to the feeling of robocop is when you get those mecha-suits in other fps games and you live the power fantasy for 10 min before returning on foot, but in this case the power fantasy last for 10 to 20 hours.
Slightly faster and smaller than a mecha but you get the gist.

We really don't have many games that feels like robocop because it's a rare for devs to chose a slow protagonist in an fps.

Alan Wake

Great news! Happy for the team. I've bought it but will not play until December. Really liked Terminator: Resistance so I believe I will enjoy this too.

Not a good comparison imho, robocop is a tanky fps, trapang is super acrobatic between air kicks, slides and shit.

Even the game structure is different, pretty linear vs sandbox with quiet moments and sidequests.

I think the only thing they share is the level of violence and a rallenty mode (that is fundamental in trapang and kinda of a nice accessory in robocop).

The closest thing to the feeling of robocop is when you get those mecha-suits in other fps games and you live the power fantasy for 10 min before returning on foot, but in this case the power fantasy last for 10 to 20 hours.
Slightly faster and smaller than a mecha but you get the gist.

We really don't have many games that feels like robocop because it's a rare for devs to chose a slow protagonist in an fps.
I was more referring to the base combat mechanics. They are roughly the same.

You can grab, toss, use slow mo etc. But I get your sentiments.

Pacing is different and the whole way things intertwine is also leagues apart.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I was more referring to the base combat mechanics. They are roughly the same.

You can grab, toss, use slow mo etc. But I get your sentiments.

Pacing is different and the whole way things intertwine is also leagues apart.
Even if they have similar tools, trepang is just way more mobile and acrobatic, you don't slide and jumpkick mofos in robocop.

It's a different type of power fantasy.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Everyone wanting Dredd. I don’t get it

It’d be the exact same type of game 😂 I mean I’m sure it’d be fucking badass but I wanna see Teyon spread their wings a bit further.

Escape from NY or Die Hard could have some potential. Would be cool to see them attempt third person (or include an optional third person mode) and made them a blend of stealth, action and exploration.

ElRenoRaven

Good to see this news. The game is the game I always dreamed of for a modern RoboCop game. I'd kill for expansions, sequels, etc but I sadly don't see that happening as so far this developer hasn't done sequels. Hopefully maybe some patches with some minor dlc is the best I can hope so.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Then you have Eurogamer’s review complaining that RoboCop portrays the police as well meaning but underfunded, instead of as racist, overfunded, and corrupt like real life police.
I read that and I cannot believe these kind of misguided keyboard warriors (same thing on Spider-man 2, not to appear as making cop propaganda they just removed the police from the game essentially) are really toeing with this kind of anarchists drivel…

Last edited:

timothet

I bought it before reviews even hit. It said Robocop on the box. Easy decision.

This is what you should be doing with your money as often as possible. These guys go from 500k to 2 million and shit their pants. Now they can change how they approach their next game. Your next typical AAA sequel will go from 10 million to 20 million and nothing changes.
Like CDPR with The Witcher. As a new developer the went from eurojunk game to one of the best games ever made in the span of three games.

Everyone wanting Dredd. I don’t get it

It’d be the exact same type of game 😂 I mean I’m sure it’d be fucking badass but I wanna see Teyon spread their wings a bit further.

Escape from NY or Die Hard could have some potential. Would be cool to see them attempt third person (or include an optional third person mode) and made them a blend of stealth, action and exploration.
Please let them make a game based on The Crow!!!

Scroll down a bit and the post is there.

Top Bottom