• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robocop: Rogue City has excedeed NACON expectations and it's their most sucesseful launch ever

We did it, fuck the video game press.
A bit delayed, but this gif seems appropriate.

JPL-Celebration-at-Mars-Landing.gif

All on GAF who contributed, you're all a pack of glorious bastards.

Scroll down a bit and the post is there.
Heartwarming. Its guys like this that originally pioneered this industry.

RAIDEN1

I remember seeing this poster at the movie store when I was a kid and thinking it had to be the most badass picture in existence. The pinnacle of cool.

Now Im seeing when Im 39... and yep its still the most badass picture in existence.
Yeah but what's the movie like?

Humdinger

Good news, though it seems confined to early Steam data, and not being a PC guy, I have trouble putting those numbers (e.g., active sessions) into context. I will keep an eye out for its its sales more generally. I haven't played it yet, but from what I've heard, I'm rooting for it.

Is this game "great" the same way fans love Terminator: Resistance, or more well made? Honest question.

I know Terminator has a lot of fans and I don't want to shit on ut but...

I absolutely adore T1 and T2 so I played that game last week and man.. It was rough to even finish. It felt extremely low-budget, amateurish voice actors, bad animation and with gameplay that felt 15-20 years dated. All in a "Wish version of Fallout 4" package.

I'd love to love the Robocop game but how does the quality compare..?

Mister Wolf

Is this game "great" the same way fans love Terminator: Resistance, or more well made? Honest question.

I absolutely adore T1 and T2 so I played that game last week and man.. It was rough to even finish. It felt extremely low-budget, amateurish voice actors, bad animation and with gameplay that felt 15-20 years dated. All in a "Wish version of Fallout 4" package.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Without a doubt one of my games of the year.
Right after BG3.

Most people who criticize it simply have no clue about the source material whatsoever.
So some choices like how slow the protagonist is, or how the gun handling is or how the dialogue is written or how the game has these slower sections will confuse them.

Like, sure, you could have made this FPS more like a boomer shooter or more like Doom Eternal or more like one of those (yawn) military cover shooters.
But that's not RoboCop.

And the police sections without any action certainly give the game a slower pace.
But it's a police game, RoboCop is a, well, cop and he does cop things.
In the end RoboCop is a narrative driven game, not like the RoboCop arcade games of old that focused only on the shooty bits.

But those who know, love all of the attention to being faithful to the source material.
What came out is a truly unique game that somehow managed to make playing a slow AF tank on legs who is socially awkward one of the most fun experiences of the year.

I'd buy that for way more than a dollar!

Last edited:

If youre looking for a triple A experience, this aint it.
The framework is the same as terminator, but with some improvements and differences.

If youre looking for a triple A experience, this aint it.
The framework is the same as terminator, but with some improvements and differences.
Yeah I don't expect or require an AAA-experience, but Terminator: Resistance just felt too amateurishly made for me. Anyway, thanks for your reply!

GymWolf

Way better than terminator for me.

The gunplay alone is night and day.

Deerock71

It's gift-giving season, so I PERSONALLY had the budget for a choice between Robocop: Rogue City or Star Wars: Jedi Survivor. I went with this, and so far I am loving EVERY SECOND of my decision. Cut out the narrative, give me the the baddies to gib. 😆

phant0m

Has there been anyone bashing this game here at Neogaf? I don’t think so.
Is this maybe the first game that everyone likes?
It has no modern gameplay trappings/systems outside of skill points that basically unlock special moves and buffs. Blast bad guy with big gun, guts go splat. feelgoodman.jpg

No "gear", no leveling, no currencies, the "open" segments and sidequests are tight and optional, and it doesn't drag on for 40 hours. I just beat it 2 nights ago with 25/27 cheevos. Steam says 11.8 hours played.

Pelao

Everyone, and I mean everyone, who grew up in the 80's and 90's fucking loves RoboCop.
If you make a good game with that franchise, you ensure hundreds of thousands of millennials and gen x'ers buying your game.
Now, if only we had a really good Starship Troopers game.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
A real video game released in the 'visceral cinematic open-world experience' era

RAIDEN1

....To this day there is no demo available for console players, why? I was mentioning in another thread with the recent release of the Tekken 8 demo, it is a rare thing these days of getting a demo of a big upcoming game, this game and Jedi Survivor should have had one....

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
They should make a Judge Dredd game next and after that Star Trek: Elite Force III
They should make a Judge Dredd game next
That would be a-effin'-amazing, especially given how they're making their games and what they did with RoboCop especially. I mean, Dredd vs Death already exists but I can't say no to a much more modern game.

Last edited:

RNG

It was a fun game that was very reminiscent of the PS2-era. I still think Teyon should redo Rambo with the experience they now have and give it the proper game it deserves.

Top Bottom