• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

I can barely remember the Tonic song in Band Hero, only that it exists. Don't even know the other one, I'll give it a listen when I get home.

Man, now I'm going on a BH nostalgia spree. Joss Stone, Nelly Furtado, than one Taylor Swift song with loads of banjo solos. I would easily buy, like, half that soundtrack for RB. Not even including the DS soundtrack(s).

FyreWulff

one of my regrets is i never even downloaded the compatibility packs for Guitar Hero. So I can't even load the few GH DLCs I have in Band Hero anyway because Activision even nuked those.

Time for first playthrough scores, track seperation confirmation and my impressions of this week's DLC!

"If You Could Only See" - Tonic
Expert Guitar: 209,285 | 100% Full Combo | Gold Stars | Tier 3 (Moderate)
Expert Bass: 155,100 | 100% Full Combo | Gold Stars | Tier 4 (Challenging)

Are the tracks seperated?
Sadly, no. Missing notes on guitar causes the guitar track to simply muffle and lower in volume, at the beginning of the song even the vocal track slightly lowers when missing notes on guitar as well. Thankfully that doesn't happen all the way through but still, it's not the real deal! Shame really, seeing as Band Hero got the masters for this one.

"Everything You Want" - Vertical Horizon
Expert Guitar: 280,971 | 100% Full Combo | Gold Stars | Tier 3 (Moderate)
Expert Bass: 99,525 | 100% Full Combo | Gold Stars | Tier 2 (Solid)

Are the tracks seperated?
Confirmed! Was a little tricky to make out at first, considering that the cymbal hits on the drum track syncs up with the acoustic guitar, which threw me off a little, but when the main chorus kicked in and the track switches up to electric guitar I could tell that the tracks were properly seperated. 1 out of 2 is better than none I guess, but I didn't expect this track to be the one with legit track seperation.

Impressions
Like three note chords? Because this weeks DLC on Guitar is all about those! They're fun despite how repetitive they get towards the end, and "If Only You Could See" has a fun little solo to break things up. The bass track on "If Only You Could See" is the real highlight of the week though! Oddly jaunty and off-beat compared to the rest of the songs tracks. Plenty of alt-strumming and hammer-on snaking going on with this one. Overall a solid batch of 90's tracks this week, a bit more fun than I thought they were going to be actually! Two of the better songs from the decade so far this year.

vg260

Dang it Harmonix.

Stop cheaping out on songs, especially ones where stems existed previously.

That or only charge $1 for these half-assed no stem songs, because you're selling content that doesn't function properly with your own game design. You should know better.

Yet another 90s song I was ready to buy, but now will pass on.

I don't know if anyone from Harmonix reads this forum, but hopefully they do because I'll complain every time they pull this crap.

FyreWulff

Starting to sound like some stemless songs may be due to paranoid labels if we now have a song that had stems in another game but now doesn't.

vg260

Starting to sound like some stemless songs may be due to paranoid labels if we now have a song that had stems in another game but now doesn't.

Any idea of any of these songs are from the same studios?

Honestly if Harmonix can't acquire actual separated tracks with any consistency anymore, I'm just gonna give up on Rock Band. I'm not OK with paying the same price for these and Harmonix should not be passing these off on customers. For a company all about music, this is really bad form.

FyreWulff

In My Hands: Sony

Get Lucky: Sony

Hey Ya!: Sony

Jumper: SonyRED

Hey Jealousy, Found Out About You: Hybrid, a Sony label

Tonic, the band, is now signed to a Sony label

well huh

vg260

Interesting.

If it's Sony music not giving out masters, I'd honestly rather they just stop working with them and get songs elsewhere.

FyreWulff

Interesting.

If it's Sony music not giving out masters, I'd honestly rather they just stop working with them and get songs elsewhere.

yeah.

The Beatles DLC also got pulled within weeks of Sony taking full control of the Beatles catalog...

CloudWolf

In My Hands: Sony

Get Lucky: Sony

Hey Ya!: Sony

Jumper: SonyRED

Hey Jealousy, Found Out About You: Hybrid, a Sony label

Tonic, the band, is now signed to a Sony label

well huh

That doesn't add up though. The Cranberries, Pixies, Interpol and Deep Blue Something aren't on a Sony label, yet lacked proper stems in Rock Band.

FyreWulff

That doesn't add up though. The Cranberries, Pixies, Interpol and Deep Blue Something aren't on a Sony label, yet lacked proper stems in Rock Band.

Cranberry songs are technical issues with the masters, since they were passed over int he "split masters only" era even though they would have sold well, so we only got Linger. Don't know about the other two.

All of the songs known to have masters 100% (either stems exist in the wild, or exist in another music game with stems) are all Sony currently.

The science isn't solid enough at this point, I'd agree with you on that. We'd have to see what future songs are stemless.

one of my regrets is i never even downloaded the compatibility packs for Guitar Hero. So I can't even load the few GH DLCs I have in Band Hero anyway because Activision even nuked those.

I rebrought Band Hero earlier this year. Fortunately I did get the compatability packs at the time and it added loads of tracks to the base game. Band Hero is my favourite in the guitar Hero series, after DJ Hero 2.

FyreWulff

I rebrought Band Hero earlier this year. Fortunately I did get the compatability packs at the time and it added loads of tracks to the base game. Band Hero is my favourite in the guitar Hero series, after DJ Hero 2.

The annoying thing is it even shows those tracks in-game, but greyed out. Kinda wish they had just done the compatibility thing via a title update.

SFenton

In fairness, Hemhorrage (as well as a few others) were announced for BandFuse and then didn't come out with the game. While cost could be a concern, or lapsing licenses, unusable masters could have been a reason as well.

Geez, and I thought the worry about Warner Brothers back in the RB2 days was bad enough. This is even worse. If it's true, if course.

Still, if we get Danger Zone then the lack of split masters will all be worth it.

Edit: Wait, Fuck, Heart are owned by Sony.

FyreWulff

http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/comment/5313302/#Comment_5313302

Time for another update. The following pack and tracks are going to be taken down by or before September 16th:

"I'm With The Chili Peppers" Pack
"By the Way"
"Californication"
"Look Around"
"Monarchy of Roses"
"Otherside"
"Parallel Universe"
"Scar Tissue"
"The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie"

Welp, Rock Band Blitz is definitely gonna get delisted next year then. I don't think Give It Away is gonna survive.

edit: Californication and Otherside have Pro Guitar upgrades, for RB3 expiration completionists concerned about that

http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/comment/5313302/#Comment_5313302

Welp, Rock Band Blitz is definitely gonna get delisted next year then. I don't think Give It Away is gonna survive.

edit: Californication and Otherside have Pro Guitar upgrades, for RB3 expiration completionists concerned about that

I don't think that takedown is a surprise to anyone. A shame, but in no way a surprise.

We're getting closer to the end of the RB3 DLC though. Not a huge amount taken down, surprisingly. Some big hitters though.

FyreWulff

Assuming licenses go in chronological order, the following "big bands" survived relicensing

Def Leppard
Heart (well, a bit obvious since they're about to have another song)
Beastie Boys
Yes
Soundgarden (that other band that had GH exclusivity for a bit)
Ozzy

I had read on Reddit that RHCP are managed by the same guy that manages Metallica and Muse.

So, don't expect to ever see any new dlc from those bands.

CqeABOpUIAQPTzY.jpg

Checked the video for Starships since I didn't know the song. WTF did I just watch (briefly)?

Nice to see I'm Yours though, my sister will love it.

Top Bottom