• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

FyreWulff

Damn. They are doing a cross promotional thing with a NASCAR driver and said they'd reveal all of the August DLC early if he got 5th or higher. He was holding 4th/5th and his crew fucked up and he ran out of gas.

Gorger

Is anyone else having trouble finding a good calibration balance between guitar and drums? I seem to always get guitar feeling perfect but drums will be off and vice versa.

I can't even get my guitar calibration right. I did have it good at some point, but after some patches and random value resets I've never managed to get it right and I keep missing random notes constantly. Incredible frustrating.

IconGrist

I can't even get my guitar calibration right. I did have it good at some point, but after some patches and random value resets I've never managed to get it right and I keep missing random notes constantly. Incredible frustrating.

Something else I noticed yesterday is that even calibration between guitars doesn't stick. I use one guitar and it's good, I try another and it's off. Both of them are RB4 guitars. I'm still trying to find a good calibration for guitar but like you I can't seem to get it just right. Even when I FC a song it still feels wrong.

CpV5xA1UkAEGo5s.jpg

Ozone

It really bums me out that now whenever I see a DLC announcement, the first thing I think is "will it have proper stems?"

vg260

It really bums me out that now whenever I see a DLC announcement, the first thing I think is "will it have proper stems?"

I know, right? :/

I think more people are starting to notice and/or be bothered by it. Hopefully Harmonix notices. They may be getting good sales from these, but it may take a while for people to become frustrated with it and be put off when songs they buy sound bad, even if they don't know why exactly initially.

I'll take a different song with proper stems that is still fun over a more well-known song without them every time. Not to mention charging the same price for content that doesn't interact properly with the gameplay mechanics (without letting customers know) is bad form.

EYEL1NER

I hadn't religiously checked the thread for a couple weeks while I was overseas on vacation but I looked just now and saw the post from a couple days ago saying that Xbone owners might have some more entitlements available. I checked my list right now and have "Hair of the Dog," "Riders on the Storm," and "Light my Fire." "Hair of the Dog" being gone wasn't any big loss, since the re-recording they have in the game sounds awful, but it is nice to get two Doors songs back.

It actually looks pretty fun on everything.

Belinda Carlisle on Rock Band. Never thought I'd see the day. This 2-song, fairly more pop based DLC listing has its perks. Although it's weird to say that the heaviest song we've had since then was by My Chemical Romance.

Still, at least they're fixing that. With Bring Me the Horizon.

Gee. Fuckin' yippee.

It actually looks pretty fun on everything.

Belinda Carlisle on Rock Band. Never thought I'd see the day. This 2-song, fairly more pop based DLC listing has its perks. Although it's weird to say that the heaviest song we've had since then was by My Chemical Romance.

Still, at least they're fixing that. With Bring Me the Horizon.

Gee. Fuckin' yippee.

This is Rock Band, not Metal Band.

IconGrist

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am not well versed in the workings. My PS4 HDMI cord just died, would this have been affecting my calibration in any way if my HDMI cord was in the process of failing?

SFenton

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am not well versed in the workings. My PS4 HDMI cord just died, would this have been affecting my calibration in any way if my HDMI cord was in the process of failing?

Probably not. I don't think it's likely that the cable had a delay in signal transmission.

Here's my first playthrough scores, track seperation confirmation and impressions for this weeks new single!

Heaven Is A Place On Earth - "Belinda Carlisle"
Expert Guitar: 207,938 | 100% Full combo | Gold Stars | Tier: Nightmare (5)
Expert Bass: 164,373 | 100% Full Combo | Gold Stars | Tier: Challenging (3)

Are the tracks seperated?
Affirmative! All of the song's stems are seperated across the board. When missing notes none of the other tracks muffle or distort, only the track you're playing mutes. Harmonix is on a roll so far this month, here's hoping they can keep up this run of properly seperated tracks! Go ahead and buy it!

Impressions
Along with Toto's "Africa" this is easily up there with that song for best of the year on both bass and guitar. The guitar transitions through five different phases, switching up from steadily strummed chords, bouncy single note strumming back and forth down the fretboard, a tricky, but satisfying section that has you hitting hammer-ons to echo and reverb, a steadily strummed gallop section that has you hitting quick bursts of triple two chords and single notes, and a fantastic solo that has you constantly galloping and then hitting rapid hammer-on snakes up and down the fretboard. Does the song deserve it's nightmare tiering? I'm not quite sure, but for the less uninitiated expert player I could see this tripping quite a few people up! Get it if you're a guitarist.

Bass is much lower down the board in terms of difficulty, but it's an absolute blast to play throughout as well. An almost constant barrage of steady single note strumming and snaking up and down the fretboard. It barely ever lets up, apart for an intermission towards the end of the song. For a tier 3 the whole chart is a j=joy to play, it's bouncy and energetic, much like the song itself. I've got no qualms recommending this for both bassists and guitarists this week. Essential purchase for both parties and solo play!

Here's my first playthrough scores, track seperation confirmation and impressions for this weeks new single!

Heaven Is A Place On Earth - "Belinda Carlisle"
Expert Guitar: 207,938 | 100% Full combo | Gold Stars | Tier: Nightmare (5)
Expert Bass: 164,373 | 100% Full Combo | Gold Stars | Tier: Challenging (3)

Are the tracks seperated?
Affirmative! All of the song's stems are seperated across the board. When missing notes none of the other tracks muffle or distort, only the track you're playing mutes. Harmonix is on a roll so far this month, here's hoping they can keep up this run of properly seperated tracks! Go ahead and buy it!

Impressions
Along with Toto's "Africa" this is easily up there with that song for best of the year on both bass and guitar. The guitar transitions through five different phases, switching up from steadily strummed chords, bouncy single note strumming back and forth down the fretboard, a tricky, but satisfying section that has you hitting hammer-ons to echo and reverb, a steadily strummed gallop section that has you hitting quick bursts of triple two chords and single notes, and a fantastic solo that has you constantly galloping and then hitting rapid hammer-on snakes up and down the fretboard. Does the song deserve it's nightmare tiering? I'm not quite sure, but for the less uninitiated expert player I could see this tripping quite a few people up! Get it if you're a guitarist.

Bass is much lower down the board in terms of difficulty, but it's an absolute blast to play throughout as well. An almost constant barrage of steady single note strumming and snaking up and down the fretboard. It barely ever lets up, apart for an intermission towards the end of the song. For a tier 3 the whole chart is a j=joy to play, it's bouncy and energetic, much like the song itself. I've got no qualms recommending this for both bassists and guitarists this week. Essential purchase for both parties and solo play!
Nice!
The drums also sound fun as well. I need to dig mine out and sync them with my xbox and start getting into drums again too.

So, I'm in the process of moving everything over to my Xbox One S, and well a whole bunch of songs aren't showing up in game.

I go to the manage game hub thing, and it says I have something like 800+ songs installed.

Then I boot up the game, and even a super recent song like Where's My Mind? isn't showing up, despite it being bought and showing as "installed" in the hub.

So, I'm in the process of moving everything over to my Xbox One S, and well a whole bunch of songs aren't showing up in game.

I go to the manage game hub thing, and it says I have something like 800+ songs installed.

Then I boot up the game, and even a super recent song like Where's My Mind? isn't showing up, despite it being bought and showing as "installed" in the hub.

"Installed" doesn't mean "Ready to play." Xbone is weird like that.

I just preordered Rivals digitally, partially because I wanted the two bonuses and because I still don't know if I want to pick up any of the new instruments.

FyreWulff

random

the logic would be a pain in the ass to program but sometimes I wish you could .. finger whammy or whatever by tapping the lower or upper fret from a single held note, especially for bass. Calling it finger whammy to distinguish it from a real instrument Hammer On.

Like if you're holding holding a long Blue, you can tap Yellow and it'll pitch it up real quick.

Makes sense for bass because i like doing that on a real bass, anyway

Gorger

Something else I noticed yesterday is that even calibration between guitars doesn't stick. I use one guitar and it's good, I try another and it's off. Both of them are RB4 guitars. I'm still trying to find a good calibration for guitar but like you I can't seem to get it just right. Even when I FC a song it still feels wrong.

I have the Warrior of Rock guitar (which I prefer) and a RB 4 guitar. When I do automatic calibration I get Audio : 160 // Video : 150 Now I am not too sure about the audio, but video is at least 60-70ms off the target. I must put my video up to 220+ to even be able to hit the notes. So it's obvious to me that the auto-calibration mechanic is completely broken on my TV. Now I try to fiddle around with calibration a lot and sometimes it goes well, then after a few songs or various attempt I get random misses where it jumps from being good to completely unplayable, so I am guessing this game also suffers from sync issues. I also struggled with calibration on RB3, but at least it felt more consistent and I generally played better in that game than I do on RB4.

But when I finally do well on RB 4 I can FC songs like Mud on The Tires or nail the last solo on Can't stop Rockin' on expert guitar, so at least I know that it's good when it's actually working as intended.

CS_Dan

Europeans who are still struggling with long overdue export delays have begun a change petition in yet another attempt to try and raise some awareness for Sony Europe.

https://www.change.org/p/sony-europe-fix-store-tool-to-allow-upload-of-legacy-rock-band-content

It was requested on the Harmonix forum that someone with a Neogaf account post it in this thread.

Ah you beat me. I always wonder what the number of users crossover between here and the official forum is.

I signed when it was posted over there, it would be great if any SCEE users here could do the same.

After seeing some DLC video's, I've suddenly got a huge Rock Band craving. Could use some help deciding if it's worth it.

Thinking about picking up the EU PS4-version guitar bundle. Used to play on 360 with the ION drumkit, but playing drums is not an option anymore because neighbours.

My entire DLC library is on 360, but I'm not buying an Xbox One just for RB4.

Is there enough fun to be had as a lonely guitarist? How is the EU PS4-version? I don't mind rebuying some DLC.

Gorger

After seeing some DLC video's, I've suddenly got a huge Rock Band craving. Could use some help deciding if it's worth it.

Thinking about picking up the EU PS4-version guitar bundle. Used to play on 360 with the ION drumkit, but playing drums is not an option anymore because neighbours.

Is there enough fun to be had as a lonely guitarist? How is the EU PS4-version? I don't mind rebuying some DLC.

As it is now the game gets stale pretty quickly as a solo player. The campaign doesn't take that long to beat and then it's just quickplay or shows mode if you want more unpredictability in your song selection. If you have friends playing Rock Band 4 on PS4 then you can try and beat their scores and send them silly taunts for fun.

But in the coming months Harmonix is making a new expansion pack and by the end of the year they will finally release synchronous online mode which will hopefully add much extra replay value to the game. If online or the new rockudrama mode is something that interests you, then it wouldn't be a complete loss buying the game now giving you the time to play the original game, practice and get some extra DLC's for the expansion. Unfortunately, unless you already bought the previous exports years ago you will not be able to transfer RB1, RB3, RB2 and LEGO songs over to RB4 (rb2 and lego is still not released in eu). Still the game has like 1000+ available DLC so plenty to choose from.

Also there is a new guitar coming with the new expansion pack which might be in better quality than the Mad Catz guitar, so it's up to you if you want to wait for that one or get the Mad Catz guitar now. The RB4 Mad Catz guitar remains pretty good though, and a big improvements over previous RB guitars.

Game is definitely not worth the full price, so if you decide to buy it, see if you can find it somewhere on sale. There has been good sales for the game recently so you might get lucky.

chunk3rvd

Are you in the UK? If you know anyone with a Costco card, I regularly see the full band bundle there for about £60 which is a pretty good deal

As it is now the game gets stale pretty quickly as a solo player... etc

Okay, thanks! All of that sounds reasonable. I guess I'll hold off for now. I've dusted off the old 360 and am jamming along to Rock Band 3 at the moment. There's still a lot of songs I haven't even got scores for on guitar, so that'll keep me busy.

Are you in the UK? If you know anyone with a Costco card, I regularly see the full band bundle there for about £60 which is a pretty good deal

I'm in the Netherlands. Cheapest I've seen it new is 88 euro's.

FyreWulff

Noooooo. Guess I won't be buying many new songs :(. Usually smaller downloadable content is able to avoid this, wonder if this means other DLC/PSN titles are going to go up too.

Everyone. As long as they don't send in a price change to Sony, all existing DLC will stay where it is, it's just any DLC published this week and going forward.

Rocksmith is going up to 4$ CAD per song, for example

I haven't played this for months.

Seriously fuming that SCEE players have been shat on regarding exports.
It's especially annoying because after a slow starts things were on the up and up for a while, getting a hundred or so songs a day at a time and then it just suddenly stopped completely. Exports are one thing but it's the whole DLC situation which really annoys me. Some items can only be downloaded through the in-game store (Foreigner Pack 1, Green Day Pack 1 for example), while some which haven't been officially delisted have just straight up disappeared (Supersonic Live, which is a continued annoyance of how songs by Oasis have been handled and you're all probably going to see moan about it for the foreseeable future), and we're in a state of limbo where DLC doesn't work for any discernible reason. I've been wanting to get Drops of Jupiter for ages but while it's got the RB4 artwork and appears on the RB4 store there's still only a PS3 version available.

While Harmonix may not entirely be in the clear, I'm placing most of my irritation on SCEE because I saw how much of a trainwreck Rocksmith 2014 turned out to be. I still don't know if it's all in order.

At least the game still works. I just need to remember not to play when I'm downloading something in the background. It's probably the cause of most of my complaints with calibration.

Top Bottom