• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ROG ALLY has 8TF performance in boost mode. Pricing aiming under $1000. Launches may 11 with 3 months of gamepass

Tams

I just want a 2nd USB-C connector without using a dock and some standard options.

Would I use eGpu with a handheld? Nah, got a decent PC for that. Would I use 2nd USB port while charging? Sure, easily, from a keyboard/mouse dongle to USB drive, etc.
Just because you don't want it, doesn't make it not a desired feature.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Just another tease as to what Sony or Microsoft could do with their resources and relationship with AMD. Battery life remains the draw back.

I assume steam can be installed. All these devices are great for increasing the PC market, Valve and Microsoft can feed off the microtransactions.

Elysion

Banned
How long until a portable Series S is possible? That would be a true game changer imo. In terms of Teraflops it seems it‘s already feasible, but it looks like RAM bandwidth in mobile devices is still far behind.

Baki

How long until a portable Series S is possible? That would be a true game changer imo. In terms of Teraflops it seems it‘s already feasible, but it looks like RAM bandwidth in mobile devices is still far behind.
256 bit bus would lead to 200gb/s bandwidth for lp ram. That’s what Apple did with M1 Pro. It’s just expensive.

rnlval

The standard z1 ally is poor value, massively weaker SoC, half the SSD size and you only save $100.
EIGCIZe.jpg

AMD's Z1 Extreme APU runs into memory bandwidth limitations.

For Z1 APU
Using wave64 and wave32 instruction set support, RDNA 3 4 CU at estimated 2800 Mhz yields about 1,433.6 GFLOPS or 1.433 TFLOPS.
Using wave32-only instruction set support, RDNA 3 4 CU at estimated 2800 Mhz yields about 2,867.2 GFLOPS or 2.867 TFLOPS.

Steamdeck APU has 1.6 TFLOPS with RDNA 2 8 CU.

For Z1 Extreme's 8 TFLOPS wave32 instruction set with RDNA 3 12 CU, it would need about 2600 Mhz clock speed. Higher TFLOPS benefits complex shaders programs.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
EIGCIZe.jpg

For Z1 APU
Using wave64 and wave32 instruction set support, RDNA 3 4 CU at estimated 2800 Mhz yields about 1,433.6 GFLOPS or 1.433 TFLOPS.
Using wave32-only instruction set support, RDNA 3 4 CU at estimated 2800 Mhz yields about 2,867.2 GFLOPS or 2.867 TFLOPS.

For Z1 Extreme's 8 TFLOPS wave32 instruction set with RDNA 3 12 CU, it would need about 2600 Mhz clock speed. Higher TFLOPS benefits complex shaders programs.
My post was about the extreme being a much better buy for only $100 more(almost 2x perf in some games), your post says nothing about pricing.

Last edited:
EIGCIZe.jpg

For Z1 APU

I am still wondering if 1080p is worth it here.

FireFly

The ROG Ally will have less than half the power budget and less than half the memory bandwidth of the Xbox Series S, so they really shouldn't be expected to perform the same. Probably it will be in between a PS4 and PS4 Pro at 35W.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
My post was about the extreme being a much better buy for only $100 more(almost 2x perf in some games), your post says nothing about pricing.

I think the point was that the regular Z1 will still be substantially faster than the Steam Deck because its GPU is still faster (which I don't think it's true because the compiler still doesn't support the double-pumped ALUs properly AFAIK) and the Z1 Extreme is very bandwidth limited, at least for 1080p workloads.

I do agree with your statement that the regular Z1 seems to exist mostly to upsell the Extreme version. It should still be interesting for the people who strictly want to emulate consoles up to the Switch, as CPU performance might be immensely better (especially if one disables hyperthreading).
From Asus' own performance numbers it looks like many games actually perform very similarly between the Z1 and Z1 Extreme, but those are probably CPU and/or bandwidth-bound scenarios.

I am still wondering if 1080p is worth it here.
Unfortunately, the bandwidth limitations will probably make this run much better on 720p, but nowadays with the temporal upscalers we can just render at 720p and make it look awesome at 1080p anyways. And that would tax the memory bandwidth a lot less.

I want one but I know I won’t use it.
They are tooo big to play around , the battery life is also awful. If I want to play at home i would definitely go to my living with big scream oled and atmos sound.

I would definitely use it as pc if possible .

Onironauta

Even with an extreme 25% VAT we should be looking at 680€, given the current exchange rate. 800€ is $880, 47% more than the $599.

Unless the EU model is coming with a 2TB drive and 32GB RAM, I don't see this as reasonable at all.
The Z1 Extreme model is supposed to be $699/€800.
$599 should be for the weaker model.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Apparently when you purchase this you also get three months of Game Pass Ultimate.

Source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/a...e-specs-and-stock-notifications/1100-6513303/

If you’re looking to snag one at launch, be sure to sign up for notifications--which only requires an email--as it's likely quantities will be limited. The product launches on May 11 and comes bundled with three months of Game Pass Ultimate, which should be perfect for the handheld thanks to its Windows 11 operating system.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's 699 in the UK so not sure how that euro pricing has happened. Unless somethings changed within the last week.

I want one but I have the impression that the ergonomics will be catastrophic compared to a Steamdeck that I had to sell because of its abominable screen with PWM backlighting (I'm sensitive to flicker)

Is there also a way to know if the screen will be flicker free?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Trust in me...unless something has changed in the last week and a half it's 699 for the 512mb version and will be available exclusively at a very big high street retailer.

...I love the UKs favourite takeaway food.. and not fish and chips 😉

FingerBang

Trust in me...unless something has changed in the last week and a half it's 699 for the 512mb version and will be available exclusively at a very big high street retailer.

...I love the UKs favourite takeaway food.. and not fish and chips 😉
699 Puoundzies? Is the release date the 11th in the UK as well? I'll grab mine extra spicy

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
699 Puoundzies? Is the release date the 11th in the UK as well? I'll grab mine extra spicy

15th of May for us UK peasants! 699 of our Kings finest coins. 😆

I'll be there day one with you brother!

I just wish there was a rog gun metal grey version with black buttons...would go with my z790 hero build all lovely.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just a heads up, the d pad on the engineering samples is supposed to be awful so hopefully theve updated that for launch becuase it's a bit larger than a penny, almost a 2p and feels mushy and shit.

...so I've heard.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Just a heads up, the d pad on the engineering samples is supposed to be awful so hopefully theve updated that for launch becuase it's a bit larger than a penny, almost a 2p and feels mushy and shit.

...so I've heard.
You only need to take a glance at it to understand how terrible it is. Worse dpads and also the omission of track pads make this lesser than a Steam Deck to me, despite the performance gains. Even the Chinese handhelds are doing better in this field than Asus.

FingerBang

15th of May for us UK peasants! 699 of our Kings finest coins. 😆

I'll be there day one with you brother!

I just wish there was a rog gun metal grey version with black buttons...would go with my z790 hero build all lovely.
699 is still reasonable for the power. I hope it delivers, I might get rid of my Steam Deck if it does.

Not a huge fan of the white either, but at least we got RGB. We must focus on the stuff that matters!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
699 is still reasonable for the power. I hope it delivers, I might get rid of my Steam Deck if it does.

Not a huge fan of the white either, but at least we got RGB. We must focus on the stuff that matters!

Yup, that rgb is what unlocks the extra power...hehe

I'm waiting on reviews and I too may sell my steam deck if it's performance boost is worth it but I love my deck so hopefully this delivers and pushes the steam deck 2 to be amazing.

Yup, that rgb is what unlocks the extra power...hehe

I'm waiting on reviews and I too may sell my steam deck if it's performance boost is worth it but I love my deck so hopefully this delivers and pushes the steam deck 2 to be amazing.
I can’t see selling my deck for this. Yeah, more power and a nicer screen sound good, but less back buttons, no track pads, a bad d pad, and questionable battery life mean I’d rather just wait for steam deck 2, however long that takes. I’m fine with the millions of last gen games, indies, and everything back until the beginning of time I have to play.

Ozriel

M$FT
I can’t see selling my deck for this. Yeah, more power and a nicer screen sound good, but less back buttons, no track pads, a bad d pad, and questionable battery life mean I’d rather just wait for steam deck 2, however long that takes. I’m fine with the millions of last gen games, indies, and everything back until the beginning of time I have to play.

Not sure how you can say the D pad is bad at this point, and it should really have comparable battery life to the Deck with better performance at the same power draw.

Perhaps if I’d used the trackpad in games or cared about the back buttons, I’d be in your shoes, but the Deck is already beginning to struggle with new games, and Valve’s half-hearted Windows support makes me seriously think about selling my Deck for this if the reviews are good.

Top Bottom