• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ROG ALLY has 8TF performance in boost mode. Pricing aiming under $1000. Launches may 11 with 3 months of gamepass

Codes 208

PC SS2 Gohon
XSX is SS2 Trunks (Bulky Guy)
PS5 Is SS2 Goku
ROG Ally Kami Fussed Piccalo
Steam Deck SS1 Vegeta
Switch Bulma lol
So much wrong in one post. Okay, for starters: That bulky form is ultra ssj, not ssj2. And it’s considerably weaker than ssj2.

HOWEVER, Trunks hits ssj2 by the goku black saga but he’s leagues stronger than gohan was, and so was ssj2 goku during his fight against majin vegeta (so youre basically insinuating that pc is weaker than either console lol)

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
So much wrong in one post. Okay, for starters: That bulky form is ultra ssj, not ssj2. And it’s considerably weaker than ssj2.

HOWEVER, Trunks hits ssj2 by the goku black saga but he’s leagues stronger than gohan was, and so was ssj2 goku during his fight against majin vegeta (so youre basically insinuating that pc is weaker than either console lol)
I am not that knowledgeable about DBZ lore, is Bulky Trunks gets beaten by Goku more often than not?

More like

PC = Beerus
XSX = SSB Goku
PS5 = SSB Vegeta
XSS = U Gohan
ROG = Piccolo
SD = Krillin
Switch = Yamcha

TLZ

Banned
All I need to know is how this thing emulates the Switch now. I can't use that console anymore after the Steam Deck.

When I leaked some stuff in the past, all I got was the attention of leakers who wanted to exchange info with me, so now I know even more.

Normally I wait for somebody else to start saying shit about a specific topic, and then I add some info. Luckily, people don't take me seriously.
Switch 2 leaks please.

StereoVsn

Okey, I don't have Xbox, only running Game Pass on PC but I've never experienced any bugs when I run games from it. Is it a common ooccurrence that it's unstable and you have reload OS?
It's enough of an issue that there have been many extensive threads on Reddit as well as on other forums with many affected users.

Usually you can get away with wiping affected drive, but in this case that is your OS drive.

Personally I have had to reload Windows 10 once and had issues with storage consumed couple times.

th4tguy

Part of what makes the steam desk work so well is the steam deck profiles that valve implements for different games that optimizes the games for the system, including pre compiling shaders. I wonder if anything like that will apply to this.

Mr Hyde

It's enough of an issue that there have been many extensive threads on Reddit as well as on other forums with many affected users.

Usually you can get away with wiping affected drive, but in this case that is your OS drive.

Personally I have had to reload Windows 10 once and had issues with storage consumed couple times.

Damn, that sucks. I've only just begun using Game Pass on PC by the way, and it's been a smooth ride so far, but if it's a widespread issue I reckon it won't be long until I'm next in line. Microsoft needs to get their shit together. I heard their Windows Store is shit too. Never used it myself, as I only heard negative things about it.

StereoVsn

Damn, that sucks. I've only just begun using Game Pass on PC by the way, and it's been a smooth ride so far, but if it's a widespread issue I reckon it won't be long until I'm next in line. Microsoft needs to get their shit together. I heard their Windows Store is shit too. Never used it myself, as I only heard negative things about it.
Unfortunately GamePass uses WinStore as a backend. Issues have been going on since Vista days so not sure if we can expect any meaningful improvement in the near future 🤷‍♂️.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
For those more into the pc world, could they build a mini pc, like a console, with this kind of hardware? I ask as I want to build/buy a mini pc to add to my tv. It only needs to do 1080p/60fps on Skyrim and fallout 4 (with a few mods) and I’m HOPING I can get it to launch through a remote control like on a console. Is such a thing possible? Or am I still dreaming?

Skifi28

Switch = Yamcha
8PQ12XB.jpg

Go watch the cell sage and comeback to me.

Xyphie

For those more into the pc world, could they build a mini pc, like a console, with this kind of hardware? I ask as I want to build/buy a mini pc to add to my tv. It only needs to do 1080p/60fps on Skyrim and fallout 4 (with a few mods) and I’m HOPING I can get it to launch through a remote control like on a console. Is such a thing possible? Or am I still dreaming?

Ally uses a standard laptop CPU from AMD, so there's nothing special about it really. SFF PCs with laptop CPUs already exist. Here's one based on the predecessor to the chip used in the Ally.

I am not that knowledgeable about DBZ lore, is Bulky Trunks gets beaten by Goku more often than not?
In the Cell Saga, Trunks thinks he breaks through to beat Cell by pumping a ton of power into his body. He get very powerful but he cant manuver is too bulky and slow. Goku mastered SS2 by getting most of the power without sacrificeing the speed. He is able to go toe to toe with Cell. His Son Gohon though takes it to a whole new level and wipes the floor with cell to the point he is toying with him

The folks that are saying that my post was inaccurate do not know the history of DBZ and think i am talking about that new garbage.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
In the Cell Saga, Trunks thinks he breaks through to beat Cell by pumping a ton of power into his body. He get very powerful but he cant manuver is too bulky and slow. Goku mastered SS2 by getting most of the power without sacrificeing the speed. He is able to go toe to toe with Cell. His Son Gohon though takes it to a whole new level and wipes the floor with cell to the point he is toying with him

The folks that are saying that my post was inaccurate do not know the history of DBZ and think i am talking about that new garbage.
Trunks was not SS2 against Cell, SS2 Goku and Gohan would 1 shot Trunks in that form lol. He was third grade SS1 which is much much weaker and slower than SS2.
"As Cell prepares to kill Vegeta, Krillin yells at Trunks that now's the time to step in. Trunks begins powering up, transforming into his Super Saiyan Third Grade form,"

https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Future_Trunks

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

As always, interesting data from Phawx. Steam Deck remains a low wattage king even against the 7840u. At 15W, the latter outperforms SD by 25-35%. Not really the double performance claims we saw flying around here some time ago. Since Rog Ally has the same battery size as SD and on top of it is also running a more bloated OS, I don't see how higher wattages are viable in handheld play. I'm one of those that think 15W SD results in unacceptably low battery life as is. Going above that is just not handheld standard. Since the 7840u chips are performing well at higher wattages, I really believe the Rog Ally should've come with a beefier battery size to accomodate this. But we'll see.

Phawx's official Deck vs Ally video. Nobody understands handheld PCs better, or does better performance comparisons than The Phawx. He demonstrated that the Ally 10W mode is actually 15W for the first couple minutes, then gradually drops for about 30secs, then settles into 10W. This makes any previous benchmarks done at 10W by other reviewers highly likely to be inaccurate. Another weird nuance the Ally has is that it performs better unplugged/on battery than when plugged in, as discovered by DF. A 15% decrease in performance. This resulted in DF be unable to post their performance review. Despite AMD PR about the Z1 Extreme having customized voltage, it performs worse than the stock 7840U at 10W, and even worse than the 6800U.

So it was the opposite of what I speculated about AMD's PR claims about "custom" voltage optimizations.

Last edited:

FingerBang

Phawx's official Deck vs Ally video. Nobody understands handheld PCs better, or does better performance comparisons than The Phawx. He demonstrated that the Ally 10W mode is actually 15W for the first couple minutes, then gradually drops for about 30secs, then settles into 10W. This makes any previous benchmarks done at 10W by other reviewers highly likely to be inaccurate. Another weird nuance the Ally has is that it performs better unplugged/on battery than when plugged in, as discovered by DF. A 15% decrease in performance. This resulted in DF be unable to post their performance review. Despite AMD PR about the Z1 Extreme having customized voltage, it performs worse than the stock 7840U at 10W, and even worse than the 6800U.

So it was the opposite of what I speculated about AMD's PR claims about "custom" voltage optimizations.

That is really puzzling. I hope there will be bios/driver updates to improve the performance and bring it closer 7840U, the difference at the moment is really hard to explain.

It's definitely going to be a very "early adopter" experience....

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
That is really puzzling. I hope there will be bios/driver updates to improve the performance and bring it closer 7840U, the difference at the moment is really hard to explain.

It's definitely going to be a very "early adopter" experience....
There's a lot of data to take in so I missed some details the first time around, but watching it again it probably has to do with the memory speed:

-GPD Win Max 2(refresh, 7840U) - 32GB LPDDR5x-7500 MT/s
-Asus Ally(7840U) - 16GB LPDDR5-6400 MT/s
-Win Max 2(original, 6800U) - 16GB 6400 MT/s.
-Steam Deck(Van Gogh) - 16GB LPDDR5-5500 MT/s

So that can explain some of the performance gap despite the same TDP as the Win Max 2 7840U. It's still strange that the Ally was matched or beaten, sometimes by a large margin, by the 6800U at 10W. The memory amount doesn't seem like the culprit for the 7840U(Win Max 2) running so much better, but can it be all down to the memory speed that allows it to sometimes beat the Ally(Z1 Extreme) by 20-85% at 10W? And the Ally is getting beaten by the weaker 6800U with the same memory, despite the AMD PR of "custom voltage" tweaking on the Z1 Extreme?

The up to 15% drop in performance while plugged in is another area that needs to be addressed by Asus before launch. Just some strange behavior being exhibited by the Ally.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Those benchmarks are absolutely damning for Ally. And I've always been annoyed by outlets using a plugged in device for benchmarks. It's just not applicable at all to every day handheld use.

Phawx shows once again he's the most reliable source when it comes to handhelds. He knows what to look for and he puts away personal bias in a credible way. Some of these benchmarks are really troublesome for Asus. Something is missing here.

FingerBang

There's a lot of data to take in so I missed some details the first time around, but watching it again it probably has to do with the memory speed:

-GPD Win Max 2(refresh, 7840U) - 32GB LPDDR5x-7500 MT/s
-Asus Ally(7840U) - 16GB LPDDR5-6400 MT/s
-Win Max 2(original, 6800U) - 16GB 6400 MT/s.
-Steam Deck(Van Gogh) - 16GB LPDDR5-5500 MT/s

So that can explain some of the performance gap despite the same TDP as the Win Max 2 7840U. It's still strange that the Ally was matched or beaten, sometimes by a large margin, by the 6800U at 10W. The memory amount doesn't seem like the culprit for the 7840U(Win Max 2) running so much better, but can it be all down to the memory speed that allows it to sometimes beat the Ally(Z1 Extreme) by 20-85% at 10W? And the Ally is getting beaten by the weaker 6800U with the same memory, despite the AMD PR of "custom voltage" tweaking on the Z1 Extreme?

The up to 15% drop in performance while plugged in is another area that needs to be addressed by Asus before launch. Just some strange behavior being exhibited by the Ally.
I think the memory scaling can justify in part the lower performance in general (though 50-80%?), but the efficiency curve seems to be fucked up for this device.

The drop in performance while plugged in sounds like a bug, though it could also have to do with some thermal protection of some kind. I want to hope Asus will fix all or most of these issues by launch or soon after.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
8 tf lol.
It is barely stronger than ps4 while battery lasts 1 hour

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned

Gary Colomb is hands down the best guy to evaluate handheld gaming PCs, and his data at the moment does seem a bit concerning. Either AMD's (or Asus') voltage curve optimizations are completely broken or he has a faulty unit.
If these results don't change with driver and/or firmware updates throughout the next month, I'm probably going to cancel my preorder.

It's definitely a whole lot stronger than the PS4.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
In benchmarks it performs similarly to 3TF GPUs. It's definitely weaker than Xbox Series S (4TF).

Awesome. That's pretty amazing for a handheld.

I've ordered my sabrant 1tb nvme to drop in this bad boy.

Wish they had gone with a 60w battery...or 80 lllol

Last edited:

FingerBang

Awesome. That's pretty amazing for a handheld.

I've ordered my sabrant 1tb nvme to drop in this bad boy.

Wish they had gone with a 60w battery...or 80 lllol
That seems to be the biggest issue with it. That said, that display with VRR and the 1080/120hz for older games? Can't not have it

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Gary Colomb is hands down the best guy to evaluate handheld gaming PCs, and his data at the moment does seem a bit concerning. Either AMD's (or Asus') voltage curve optimizations are completely broken or he has a faulty unit.
If these results don't change with driver and/or firmware updates throughout the next month, I'm probably going to cancel my preorder.

It's definitely a whole lot stronger than the PS4.
They have a month to address the reduced performance when plugged in and the issues at low wattage. If they can do that they have a pretty good product on their hands. The landscape and VRR screen seems like a must-have for future handhelds. Seems to have a lot of horsepower at 20W+, but a larger capacity battery would be better to offset reduced playtime as a result of that power.

Personally, I don’t see enough of reason for people to upgrade from a Deck or 6800U, but it’s definitely worth a consideration for somebody buying their first handheld gaming PC, or somebody selling their existing handheld to offset the cost.

Last edited:

Zathalus

8 tf lol.
Even at 15w it is significantly faster then the PS4 and that can get you around 2 hours with most AAA games with some tweaks.

Obviously 30w utterly drains the battery but performance on that mode is close to PS4 Pro levels albeit with a vastly better CPU. That should be reserved for when plugged in or using a power brick

Sleepwalker

How much better is the screen compared to the deck? I honestly dont care much for the deck's screen and its miles worse than the switch oled for example.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Even at 15w it is significantly faster then the PS4 and that can get you around 2 hours with most AAA games with some tweaks.

Obviously 30w utterly drains the battery but performance on that mode is close to PS4 Pro levels albeit with a vastly better CPU. That should be reserved for when plugged in or using a power brick
Absolutely not. Unless you plat at low settings.
It is impressive but cmon

Melfice7

Goku was not SSJ2 in the cell saga, he mastered SSj1, trunks was SSJ1 third grade AKA SSJ 1.5, gohan was the only SSJ2

FireFly

Steam Deck was between the Xbox One and PS4 and the Rog all seems like it's maybe 35% faster at 15W. So I doubt it's much faster than the PS4 at 15W.

Zathalus

Absolutely not. Unless you plat at low settings.
It is impressive but cmon
Absolutely not what? If you limit the FPS to 30 you can push the visuals up quite a bit. Especially in the 30w mode. Cyberpunk for example can do stable 30/1080p with a mixture of Medium/High settings. PS4 can't match that, heck the PS4 Pro struggles.

Gamezone

Gold Member
1-2 hours of battery life and no quick resume option is such a huge bummer. Valve doesn't even sell the Steam Deck in Norway, so I'm left with no other option than the ROG Ally as well.

StereoVsn

1-2 hours of battery life and no quick resume option is such a huge bummer. Valve doesn't even sell the Steam Deck in Norway, so I'm left with no other option than the ROG Ally as well.
You could go for GPD, Aokzoe or upcoming Aya Neo models. At this juncture I don't know which company I would trust more, Asus, or these small vendors.

Klosshufvud

What about getting a used Steam Deck? Or have someone in Sweden order one and send it to you? I know the Ally is absolutely ludicrously priced in Sweden. It's almost 900€. But maybe that's a decent price for someone in Norway.

Top Bottom