• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ROG ALLY has 8TF performance in boost mode. Pricing aiming under $1000. Launches may 11 with 3 months of gamepass

n111ck

I noticed it says comes with pc gamepass, not totally unexpected but with the head of ms hardware being there, it makes me wonder if they have developed a new app that is similar to steam deck in that it autoloads a profile for ally optimized and easy, no fussing with windows. Next best thing perhaps to a dedicated xbox portable........or maybe better in some ways since u can run emulation/steam/epic too.

Its only 3 months game pass - I suspect the Xbox involvement will just be a version of the game pass app formatted for handhelds and nothing more useful.

n111ck

If that ends up being over $1000 canadian, why are they saying you are going to be competitive with steam deck? It sells for $499 to $819 Canadian.

Or is it just more in the uk?

£699 is actually cheaper than expected - will def be more than $1000 Canadian.

supernova8

Banned
I noticed it says comes with pc gamepass, not totally unexpected but with the head of ms hardware being there, it makes me wonder if they have developed a new app that is similar to steam deck in that it autoloads a profile for ally optimized and easy, no fussing with windows. Next best thing perhaps to a dedicated xbox portable........or maybe better in some ways since u can run emulation/steam/epic too.

When did developers start actively making Steam Deck presets? I'm guessing it was sometime AFTER the Steam Deck was a confirmed success...? Or did Steam actually allocate resources to help create said presets?

ToTTenTranz

Banned

As always, interesting data from Phawx. Steam Deck remains a low wattage king even against the 7840u. At 15W, the latter outperforms SD by 25-35%. Not really the double performance claims we saw flying around here some time ago. Since Rog Ally has the same battery size as SD and on top of it is also running a more bloated OS, I don't see how higher wattages are viable in handheld play. I'm one of those that think 15W SD results in unacceptably low battery life as is. Going above that is just not handheld standard. Since the 7840u chips are performing well at higher wattages, I really believe the Rog Ally should've come with a beefier battery size to accomodate this. But we'll see.

One important heads-up about the Win Max 2: it's using LPDDR5X 7500MT/s, whereas the ROG Ally uses LPDDR5 6400MT/s.
It's a total bandwidth difference between 120GB/s on the Win Max 2 vs. 100GB/s on the ROG Ally.

Or worse: if we take ~40GB/s bandwidth for the CPU's 8x Zen4 cores, the bandwidth starved GPU in the Win Max will get 80GB/s, whereas the ROG Ally will get only 60GB/s.
That's a very big difference.

There's a bunch of ways Asus and AMD could mitigate these for the Z1 chips, like e.g. limiting the CPU's access to the RAM or and/or giving the CPU much less power so it can't raise its clocks as much (therefore access the memory less often). This is pretty much what they've done with the Steam Deck's Van Gogh chip, and it's why it can perform so much better than the larger Ryzen 7 6800U chip at lower TDP values.

However, unless there's some big surprises on the ROG Ally's side, we should expect the Win Max 2 7840U to perform better in games than the Asus handheld. Especially in the higher TDP zones (20-30W), this Win Max 2 could be some 15-20% faster in some games.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

One important heads-up about the Win Max 2: it's using LPDDR5X 7500MT/s, whereas the ROG Ally uses LPDDR5 6400MT/s.
It's a total bandwidth difference between 120GB/s on the Win Max 2 vs. 100GB/s on the ROG Ally.

Or worse: if we take ~40GB/s bandwidth for the CPU's 8x Zen4 cores, the bandwidth starved GPU in the Win Max will get 80GB/s, whereas the ROG Ally will get only 60GB/s.

There's a bunch of ways Asus and AMD could mitigate these for the Z1 chips, like e.g. limiting the CPU's access to the RAM or and/or giving the CPU much less power so it can't raise its clocks as much (therefore access the memory less often). This is pretty much what they've done with the Steam Deck's Van Gogh chip, and it's why it can perform so much better than the larger Ryzen 7 6800U chip at lower TDP values.

However, unless there's some big surprises on the ROG Ally's side, we should expect the Win Max 2 7840U to perform better in games than the Asus handheld. Especially in the higher TDP zones (20-30W), this Win Max 2 could be some 15-20% faster in some games.
I am shocked no one had mentioned this bandwidth thing yet. Was about to say the same thing but figured in a 300-post-strong thread someone must have mentioned it already.

StereoVsn

Yeah, I want to see some reviews. Figure even if Ally will sell out initially, it will come back in stock after a few months.

I got my SteamDeck so I'm no hurry. Win Max 2, Aokzoe A1 Pro and OneXPlayer (I am sure they will upgrade to new chip) all use 60wh batteries which makes a lot of sense in this use case.

TrebleShot

yeah but the Win Max looks like a literal laptop, looks horrendous.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
When did developers start actively making Steam Deck presets? I'm guessing it was sometime AFTER the Steam Deck was a confirmed success...? Or did Steam actually allocate resources to help create said presets?

Pretty sure it was valve working hard for months both before and after launch.

FingerBang

All I need to know is how this thing emulates the Switch now. I can't use that console anymore after the Steam Deck.

Get ready for some lawyers to come after you. I leaked something once and Activision came after me
When I leaked some stuff in the past, all I got was the attention of leakers who wanted to exchange info with me, so now I know even more.

Normally I wait for somebody else to start saying shit about a specific topic, and then I add some info. Luckily, people don't take me seriously.

Ozriel

M$FT
If that ends up being over $1000 canadian, why are they saying you are going to be competitive with steam deck? It sells for $499 to $819 Canadian.

Or is it just more in the uk?

Because the deck model with 512GB storage costs $629.

Paying $70 more for significantly better specs is quite good.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Kinda worrying that there is so much input lag between the console and built in controller. Is it a software og hardware problem? Seems way worse than cloud gaming.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
All I need to know is how this thing emulates the Switch now. I can't use that console anymore after the Steam Deck.

When I leaked some stuff in the past, all I got was the attention of leakers who wanted to exchange info with me, so now I know even more.

Normally I wait for somebody else to start saying shit about a specific topic, and then I add some info. Luckily, people don't take me seriously.

I don't think there's anything wrong with mentioning some things you randomly heard from someone else...

I'm not under NDA

Last edited:

FingerBang

I don't think there's anything wrong with mentioning some things you randomly heard from someone else...

I'm not under NDA
Neither am I. I know people who work in the industry, and they tell me stuff because they know I won't go around leaking things. Some are game journalists, and I don't want to ruin things for them, either. Also, people don't like leaks unless "this will happen soon." I knew about the FFIX and P3 remake way before it made the news, but imagine making a thread here saying it's happening and then being called a liar for years, lol

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I'm a bit disappointed with some things about the ROG Ally, such as not having a larger battery (wouldn't really care about the difference between 600 and 700g), not using LPDDR5X 7500 to take the maximum possible out of the chipset and the Z1's "voltage curve optimizations" looking pretty much irrelevant in comparison to the Ryzen 7840U.

It looks like the Phoenix2 SoC, with 2x "big" Zen4 + 4x "LITTLE" Zen4c CPU cores and only 8x RDNA3 CUs, might actually run faster at 15-20W than this Z1 Extreme. Especially if it has bumped up L2 cache like the Deck's Van Gogh.

Regardless, it's for these reasons that I sadly felt a bit hesitant as I pressed the preorder button.

Shakka43

How powerful it is compared to other consoles in Dragon Ball Characters?
Switch
tumblr_ptt8q3qcPR1xrcg8po1_500.gif

Deck
lni3bv.gif

Ally
c3e30bc1a5d8a3cd4a6a5f842474e0c22297290e.gif

PS5
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f593031677633336a7558553164513d3d2d3737393138333031362e313638333039333836373335313062383731373339393935383133302e676966

Series X
mecha-frieza.gif

PC
bc72dd6edca6510f222f0018c257bcff37e8b709.gifv

Last edited:

sendit

PC SS2 Gohon
XSX is SS2 Trunks (Bulky Guy)
PS5 Is SS2 Goku
ROG Ally Kami Fussed Piccalo
Steam Deck SS1 Vegeta
Switch Bulma lol
WTF? A PC with a 4090 is Ultra Instinct Goku.

On a serious note. I've been reading through a few reviews and the common conclusion is that the Ally's power is negated by a poor user experience. Not surprised as Asus is primarily a hardware company.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yeah, a real killing streak, like the Intel motherboard they had to recall last year because they installed a capacitor incorrectly, and now the over-volting of AMD CPUs.
And lets not forget releasing BIOS "fixes" to overvolting shenanigans that void your warranty in big bold letters since they are labeling everything a beta BIOS.

Banned
Haven't you see all the previews? It's so obvious that you don't exactly need any measurement tools.

you are aware tho that every game has different amounts of latency right?
and many modern games have massive amounts of input lag when you use their internal 30fps or 60fps vsync lock.

so going by preview videos isn't really something I'd do.

Gamezone

Gold Member
you are aware tho that every game has different amounts of latency right?
and many modern games have massive amounts of input lag when you use their internal 30fps or 60fps vsync lock.

so going by preview videos isn't really something I'd do.

The games with too much latency works perfectly if you pair a third party controller to the Ally using Bluetooth, so it's not the games fault. They need to fix this, and if it's caused by hardware, I can't imagine keeping it.

Banned
The games with too much latency works perfectly if you pair a third party controller to the Ally using Bluetooth, so it's not the games fault. They need to fix this, and if it's caused by hardware, I can't imagine keeping it.

wait but you said that noone tested it and you just noticed the latency when they were filming the screen...

what is it now? did someone test it or not?

Gamezone

Gold Member
wait but you said that noone tested it and you just noticed the latency when they were filming the screen...

what is it now? did someone test it or not?

They got the device early so yeah? I said that the latency is so obvious that you don't need tools to measure it, and that the lag is gone when using a third party controller. Do I need to be any more specific, or are you doing this on purpose? Many are saying that FPS games on this device is basically unplayable.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
I wanted to get a steam deck howevwer seeing someone emulate god of war 3 at 60fps on it has me shook and thinking Ill wait. Im curious how MGS4 would play on it since I miss the game. I do however hate how it doesnt have track pads like the steam deck, those seem vital and integrated well for search and playing games

Puscifer

All I have to say is DAMN! That price was seriously unexpected. Serious competitor to steam deck (if it's repairable) and most of the others that cost over 900 need to have serious price drops to compete. I like this!

Last edited:

Banned
They got the device early so yeah? I said that the latency is so obvious that you don't need tools to measure it, and that the lag is gone when using a third party controller. Do I need to be any more specific, or are you doing this on purpose? Many are saying that FPS games on this device is basically unplayable.

your original response was very ambiguous, because it sounded like you just saw latency happening while watching videos.

if it's really a difference when a controller is connected then that's indeed a huge issue.

this could be due to a low polling rate on the built in controller.
some tools on PC let you overclock controllers, not sure if that's possible with such specific built in ones tho

lukilladog

Just looked at the benchmarks its running far cry 6 at low settings at 60fps at 720p upscaled with frs....so yeah its basically capable of playing the ps4 gen games at lowish medium settings at max ~900p not quite the massive leap from steamdeck and next gen console that the tflops imply.

That is deceptive advertising then, 8tf cards handle that game several times better, that is not even 2tflop 1050ti levels.

SABRE220

That is deceptive advertising then, 8tf cards handle that game several times better, that is not even 2tflop 1050ti levels.

Oh trust me I know its nowhere close to even the series s, more like steamdeck_+. Well they claimed it was a 8tf console(inflated rdna3) which technically is true its just severely bottlenecked...to their credit they did release benchmarks before launch to set relaistic expectations...but yeah they realize most people wont search up benchmarks and will go oooohhh 9tflops!

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Kudos to Valve then! I guess the question is how quickly someone can/will port Steam OS onto the ROG Ally.

Can’t imagine there are that many benefits to doing that vs just going with Steam Big Picture mode on startup.

I guess better suspend-resume?

StereoVsn

Can’t imagine there are that many benefits to doing that vs just going with Steam Big Picture mode on startup.

I guess better suspend-resume?
No other Windows bugs, less stutter in UE games, generally more responsive.

That said you would lose capability to natively install GamePass, EA, Epic, Ubi, GoG games (some of this is possible with tinkering). Plus some games still don't run well on the Deck.

On the other hand for Game pass I wouldn't touch that with Windows anyways as it can screw up your install and potentially necessitate OS reload.

Top Bottom