• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ROG ALLY has 8TF performance in boost mode. Pricing aiming under $1000. Launches may 11 with 3 months of gamepass

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I can’t see selling my deck for this. Yeah, more power and a nicer screen sound good, but less back buttons, no track pads, a bad d pad, and questionable battery life mean I’d rather just wait for steam deck 2, however long that takes. I’m fine with the millions of last gen games, indies, and everything back until the beginning of time I have to play.

Yeah it feels so much cheaper than a steam deck but is considerably slimmer and lighter. I wish the screen had VRR, I'm not sure on that and I'm getting mixed reports on gyro support. I was under the impression it isn't there.

Last edited:

Goalus

Not sure how you can say the D pad is bad at this point, and it should really have comparable battery life to the Deck with better performance at the same power draw.

Perhaps if I’d used the trackpad in games or cared about the back buttons, I’d be in your shoes, but the Deck is already beginning to struggle with new games, and Valve’s half-hearted Windows support makes me seriously think about selling my Deck for this if the reviews are good.
Not having the full Windows experience is a serious dealbreaker for me to even consider Steam Deck. I'll also wait for reviews (I almost never buy day 1; Gear VR and Xbox One S are my only day-1 purchases in the past decade I remember), but if they're solid, I'll get the Ally even though I don't have much use for handhelds.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yeah it feels so much cheaper than a steam deck but is considerably slimmer and lighter. I wish the screen had VRR, I'm not sure on that and I'm getting mixed reports on gyro support. I was under the impression it isn't there.
I believe the screen has VRR support according to ThePhawx. Not sure about gyro.

Controls in general are lacking compared to SteamDeck in options. For performance if we look at recent previews of Aokzoe A1Pro, we are looking at modest uplift from Steam deck at 15w, and of course more at 20w/28w.

Thing is on battery power 15w is likely the most you would want to use, otherwise looking at very low playtime. Aokzoe can power through that since it has 61wh battery, which is 50% vs Deck or ROG Ally.

Edit: Personally I would have gone for Aokzoe A1 Pro or GPD Winmax 2 , but both have iffy build quality and RMA reports. So ROG Ally is the only option for now. Not in a hurry though and will wait for reviews.

Last edited:

demigod

Trust in me...unless something has changed in the last week and a half it's 699 for the 512mb version and will be available exclusively at a very big high street retailer.

...I love the UKs favourite takeaway food.. and not fish and chips 😉
It’s always weird to me when they call french fries as chips. Anyways if its $699 here in the states i might dip for it.

Klosshufvud

I believe the screen has VRR support according to ThePhawx. Not sure about gyro.

Controls in general are lacking compared to SteamDeck in options. For performance if we look at recent previews of Aokzoe A1Pro, we are looking at modest uplift from Steam deck at 15w, and of course more at 20w/28w.

Thing is on battery power 15w is likely the most you would want to use, otherwise looking at very low playtime. Aokzoe can power through that since it has 61wh battery, which is 50% vs Deck or ROG Ally.

Edit: Personally I would have gone for Aokzoe A1 Pro or GPD Winmax 2 , but both have iffy build quality and RMA reports. So ROG Ally is the only option for now. Not in a hurry though and will wait for reviews.
I am really impressed with the display size of Aokzoe and its battery size. Supposedly it's not even larger than SD/Ally. At higher wattages, the Phoenix APU does shine. The performance gains are pretty drastic going from 15W upwards.

StereoVsn

I am really impressed with the display size of Aokzoe and its battery size. Supposedly it's not even larger than SD/Ally. At higher wattages, the Phoenix APU does shine. The performance gains are pretty drastic going from 15W upwards.
Yeah, it's a nice device. Couple downsides are a vertical screen still, a bit slower VRAM as well as lack of additional controls.

But main issue is that last version's build quality was reported to be mediocre and RMA process iffy for NA folks.

Would have really loved to see GPD, Aya Neo and Aokzoe/OneXPlayer in BestBuy, Amazon, Microcenter, Newegg, etc... but that's unlikely to happen.

Klosshufvud

Yeah, it's a nice device. Couple downsides are a vertical screen still, a bit slower VRAM as well as lack of additional controls.

But main issue is that last version's build quality was reported to be mediocre and RMA process iffy for NA folks.

Would have really loved to see GPD, Aya Neo and Aokzoe/OneXPlayer in BestBuy, Amazon, Microcenter, Newegg, etc... but that's unlikely to happen.
That sucks to hear, even if predictable. They were really quick in getting the RDNA3 refreshes out. Maybe that impacted quality control? Regardless, the RMA process has been a nuisance for these Chinese devices since forever.

Kappa

Meh. I'm waiting for the 4k ray tracing dlss switch pro that people keep harping about that will come in at a cheaper price than this

Last edited:

DragonNCM

Meh. I'm waiting for the 4k ray tracing dlss switch pro that people keep harping about that will come in at a cheaper price than this
game-of-thrones-well.gif

I'm either gonna to get a Steamdeck or ROG ALLY

My computer has been having issues and I just want to play my steam backlog

I'm waiting for all reviews for ROG ALLY to come out so I can make my decision

I'm playing Valkyria Chronicles 4 on Steam and I get the Blue screen 2 times and the computer resets

I have 2 980s but my specs are around 2014 - 2015

I have wanted to upgrade my PC but right now from what I heard the PC markets have been having lots of issues lately so I'm looking at those 2 handheld options

Ozriel

M$FT
Not having the full Windows experience is a serious dealbreaker for me to even consider Steam Deck. I'll also wait for reviews (I almost never buy day 1; Gear VR and Xbox One S are my only day-1 purchases in the last decade I remember), but if they're solid, I'll get the Ally even though I have not much use for handhelds.

Yeah, Valve promised at least some decent level of Windows support with - at minimum - official dual boot support in SteamOS. They’ve craftily delayed and de-prioritized that.

I wasted money on a Ayaneo Air and I can say without a doubt that Windows on this type of device is an awful experience.

This is nonsense, of course. There’s nothing in common between Aya’s overlay and Asus software.
As long as you’re mainly in the overlay or use Steam big picture mode, you don’t have to worry about Windows on that screen size. And when you need to get into Windows, at least it’s a much more familiar experience than SteamOS desktop mode.

That would be awesome but I can see that happening in 5 to 10 years

Expect those to show up much sooner

• LOL
Reactions: amc

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

Ha, knowing Nintendo, to cut costs the switch pro will likely have similar power to a 2023 toaster.

THE DUCK

Hey if this really ends up bring an 8tf device somewhere between a series s and a series x, when plugged in, if it's $699, is it the most powerfull inexpensive desktop with gaming ability too? I mean there are a lot of people out there still ok with 1080p gaming, could this fill a void in that regard doing double duty?

Can you build an 8tf pc with rdna 3 features, windows included, and fast ram for $699?

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Hey if this really ends up bring an 8tf device somewhere between a series s and a series x, when plugged in, if it's $699, is it the most powerfull inexpensive desktop with gaming ability too? I mean there are a lot of people out there still ok with 1080p gaming, could this fill a void in that regard doing double duty?
It's not 8TF. It peaks at 4TF at max wattage. And even then the RAM bandwidth is a bottleneck. RDNA3 TF equals a half RDNA2 TF.

I have an entry level gaming laptop, would this be a big upgrade?

ASUS TUF DASH F15 (FX516PC-HN070)

Intel® Core™ i5-11300H Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz)
NVIDIA® GeForce™ RTX 3050 4GB GDDR6
16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM (2x8GB)
512GB M.2 SSD

Xyphie

512GB M.2 SSD

No. It would be a significant downgrade from a RTX 3050.

Last edited:

reksveks

512GB M.2 SSD
As xgphi, it would be a downgrade in terms of overall performance.

FireFly

Ok, so I guess same question then but at series S level, maybe easier then.....
It won't be at Series S level due to the memory bandwidth and power limitations. From the released benchmarks you will be able to play recent games at 1080p 30 with medium/low settings. It would likely be better value for money to get a budget gaming laptop unless you really need the portability.

TVexperto

I'm either gonna to get a Steamdeck or ROG ALLY

My computer has been having issues and I just want to play my steam backlog

I'm waiting for all reviews for ROG ALLY to come out so I can make my decision

I'm playing Valkyria Chronicles 4 on Steam and I get the Blue screen 2 times and the computer resets

I have 2 980s but my specs are around 2014 - 2015

I have wanted to upgrade my PC but right now from what I heard the PC markets have been having lots of issues lately so I'm looking at those 2 handheld options
what kind of issues? I have a 4080 and no issues

Klosshufvud

As always, interesting data from Phawx. Steam Deck remains a low wattage king even against the 7840u. At 15W, the latter outperforms SD by 25-35%. Not really the double performance claims we saw flying around here some time ago. Since Rog Ally has the same battery size as SD and on top of it is also running a more bloated OS, I don't see how higher wattages are viable in handheld play. I'm one of those that think 15W SD results in unacceptably low battery life as is. Going above that is just not handheld standard. Since the 7840u chips are performing well at higher wattages, I really believe the Rog Ally should've come with a beefier battery size to accomodate this. But we'll see.

Ozriel

M$FT

As always, interesting data from Phawx. Steam Deck remains a low wattage king even against the 7840u. At 15W, the latter outperforms SD by 25-35%. Not really the double performance claims we saw flying around here some time ago. Since Rog Ally has the same battery size as SD and on top of it is also running a more bloated OS, I don't see how higher wattages are viable in handheld play. I'm one of those that think 15W SD results in unacceptably low battery life as is. Going above that is just not handheld standard. Since the 7840u chips are performing well at higher wattages, I really believe the Rog Ally should've come with a beefier battery size to accomodate this. But we'll see.

People who run Windows on their Steamdeck get around the same battery life as those running Steam OS. Not sure how performing 35% worse makes it the ‘performance king’, and there’s the option of superior performance at higher wattages if you’re docked or playtime is short.

Battery life at 28W isn’t really a major concern if all you want is to play for an hour on your couch.

That said, i agree it would have been great if ASUS had gone with a more beefy battery.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
People who run Windows on their Steamdeck get around the same battery life as those running Steam OS. Not sure how performing 35% worse makes it the ‘performance king’, and there’s the option of superior performance at higher wattages if you’re docked or playtime is short.

Battery life at 28W isn’t really a major concern if all you want is to play for an hour on your couch.

That said, i agree it would have been great if ASUS had gone with a more beefy battery.

it's super slim, and i have a really beefy usb c power bank..so im good.

Ozriel

M$FT
it's super slim, and i have a really beefy usb c power bank..so im good.

Yep. I’d rather have the better performance and improved compatibility.
With my Steamdeck, I already travel with my 65W baseus power bank, anyway. Happy to lose some untethered battery life if it gives me better performance. Still have flashbacks on playing Horizon Zero Dawn on my Deck and having the fans go into overdrive and framerate drop to slideshow levels.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

Phawx makes great videos. Ally is using the same chip as Win Max 2 Pro/AOKZOE A1 Pro, but it was said they have custom voltage and clock tweaks, so we'll see how that manifests in tests. It's possible there's an uptick in performance at lower wattage. Deck does really well at 5-10W, and decent at 15W. It still offers great bang-for-buck in the efficiency category. Where the newer 7840U handhelds will excel is in it's ability to power through newer PS5 ports that the Deck is right on the verge of being able to play. Also, in so-called "Docked" mode it will make for a powerful, console-like experience.

Ally seems like a great choice for somebody looking for a portable, flexible desktop replacement. My buddy plays on Series X and Switch, but he was expressing interest in an upgrade to his old-ass desktop. I recommended the Ally since he doesn't intend on using it on the go, but more so around the house in docked mode, or handheld while his wife is using the TV. That's a scenario where these handhelds PCs really shine: when you want to play modern games while still hanging out and chatting with to your family who might be watching TV. Brings PC gaming to living room in a convenient and flexible manner.

Last edited:
We all know what slim gaming portable devices mean - heat, fan noise and low battery life. Plus Windows and constant updates/warnings about memory integrity being switched off - yikes!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
We all know what slim gaming portable devices mean - heat, fan noise and low battery life. Plus Windows and constant updates/warnings about memory integrity being switched off - yikes!

To me it means, steam, gamepass, and whatever other launcher in a handheld package...its pretty awesome.

THE DUCK

I noticed it says comes with pc gamepass, not totally unexpected but with the head of ms hardware being there, it makes me wonder if they have developed a new app that is similar to steam deck in that it autoloads a profile for ally optimized and easy, no fussing with windows. Next best thing perhaps to a dedicated xbox portable........or maybe better in some ways since u can run emulation/steam/epic too.

THE DUCK

If that ends up being over $1000 canadian, why are they saying you are going to be competitive with steam deck? It sells for $499 to $819 Canadian.

Or is it just more in the uk?

Top Bottom