• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One Reviews & Impressions (Spoiler Tags Required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caode

I'm seeing 20 out of 26.

I9bCXhq.png

Toa TAK

Banned

What the hell?

IN CONTEXT:

What the film really lacks is a strong and vigorous male lead (such as Han Solo or John Boyega's Finn in The Force Awakens) to balance more equally with Jyn and supply a sparring partner. None of the men here has real physical or vocal stature, nor any scenes in which they can decisively emerge from the pack in a way that engages audience enthusiasm. Both Luna and Ahmed have proven themselves repeatedly in previous big-screen and television performances, but their characters never pop here, to the film's detriment. And given than Jyn is rather less gung-ho and imposing than was Ridley's Rey, there's an overall feel of less physical capacity on the part of the main characters.

Boke1879

So the character aren't as good, but it took more chances than TFA is what I'm getting from these reviews. Hopefully episode 8 nails both.

Either way, really pumped to see it now. Glad it delivered/

Honestly give me some laughs, a fun ride and cool moments and I'm good. The premise is interesting enough for me. I'm hyped for this.

-griffy-

Banned

Oh boy. It gets even better:
None of the men here has real physical or vocal stature, nor any scenes in which they can decisively emerge from the pack in a way that engages audience enthusiasm.

And given than Jyn is rather less gung-ho and imposing than was Ridley's Rey, there's an overall feel of less physical capacity on the part of the main characters.

Apparently we need men to step forward to lead the pack otherwise we can't get enthusiastic.

Disappointing, but not generally surprising given THR's "Rogue One isn't going to make as much money because Felicity Jones" drum that they were beating a while back. They had an agenda.

Xater

He said it was enjoyable but not great. Even specifically says around the 10 minutes mark that people probably think he hates the movie but he doesnt, he's just nitpicking because he's a huge fan of Star Wars.

I like Chris but his review rubbed me the wrong way. When he said he wanted more Darth Vader I knew I probably won't agree with him. As soon as they teased Vader for this film I hoped his involvement would me super limited. Looks like I got my wish.

Setzer

Stuckmann didn't liked it very much. He complained about the characters.

I don't know, I thought his review was overall pretty positive. He gave it a "B", that's pretty darn good. He just thought the characters could have been fleshed out more because that's an important part of the Star Wars movies and I agree with him.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I like Chris but his review rubbed me the wrong way. When he said he wanted more Darth Vader I knew I probably won't agree with him. As soon as they teased Vader for this film I hoped his involvement would me super limited. Looks like I got my wish.
This is why I don't take the viewpoints of Struckmann or Jahns that seriously. When it comes to movies like these, they're strongly motivated by fanboyism when it comes to their critique.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Collider echoing that theres not a lot of character development

Which you would think in a film where you know the ending would be one of the most important aspects to nail down.

molnizzle

And you think it's any better in context?

It's a dumb complaint but not one to get worked up over. I feel like people are dog-piling on that reviewer as they would a misogynist, but that really wasn't his message. If I'm off the mark here then I apologize, it can be hard to tell on GAF.

how? It's kind of a bizzare complaint in the middle of a review.

I agree it's bizzare and dumb, but I don't see how it's offensive.

Welp, reviews look great, can't wait to see this shit.
Now, the only review I'm actually waiting on is Double Toasted. I need to hear what they think lol

Boke1879

Collider echoing that theres not a lot of character development

Which you would think in a film where you know the ending would be one of the most important aspects to nail down.

Yea while we know the fates of these people that kinda sucks. But i doubt many will care.

Quick

Banned

Full paragraph for better context:

What the film really lacks is a strong and vigorous male lead (such as Han Solo or John Boyega's Finn in The Force Awakens) to balance more equally with Jyn and supply a sparring partner. None of the men here has real physical or vocal stature, nor any scenes in which they can decisively emerge from the pack in a way that engages audience enthusiasm. Both Luna and Ahmed have proven themselves repeatedly in previous big-screen and television performances, but their characters never pop here, to the film's detriment. And given than Jyn is rather less gung-ho and imposing than was Ridley's Rey, there's an overall feel of less physical capacity on the part of the main characters.

I feel like the writer meant this in that the male leads don't particularly stand out in the same way as Han Solo or Finn, both exuding uniqueness, charisma, and vigor (vs. "strong and vigorous"/"physical or vocal stature") to make them stand out more. Probably could've been worded better.

-griffy-

Banned
It's a dumb complaint but not one to get worked up over. I feel like people are dog-piling on that reviewer as they would a misogynist, but that really wasn't his message.

I agree it's bizzare and dumb, but I don't see how it's offensive.
The way it reads is the movie needed a vigorous male lead to step forward from the pack and lead and bring physical presence, in order to aid in audience enthusiasm. It implies the female lead couldn't do that without a male lead stepping up. It reads gross.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Full paragraph for better context:

I feel like the writer meant this in that the male leads don't particularly stand out in the same way as Han Solo or Finn, both exuding uniqueness, charisma, and vigor (vs. "strong and vigorous"/"physical or vocal stature") to make them stand out more. Probably could've been worded better.

I think if he literally removed the word male there it would be an entirely valid criticism to make.

Alienfan

I don't think it's as sexist as some people in this thread are saying it is, that said, the requirement that every movie needs strong characters is absurd. Weak/vulnerable male characters seems like a good thing, how often do we see that, sounds better than the usual generic, trys to be funny bad ass we typically get in action movies

molnizzle

The way it reads is the movie needed a vigorous male lead to step forward from the pack and lead and bring physical presence, in order to aid in audience enthusiasm. It implies the female lead couldn't do that without a male lead stepping up. It reads gross.

I read it as, "Jyn is less imposing than Rey and had no male backup from the rest of the cast."

...you guys are taking that shit out of context.

I don't see what the issue is here? He's not saying that Jyn is less imposing because she's a woman. He's saying she's not as imposing as Rey was.
I think the issue is the author is dancing around the point that yet another huge SW movie doesn't have a male lead and that make feeling hurt.

sphagnum

Banned
A lot of these reviews keep mentioning how there's some big secret that they don't want to spoil. One of them said it's about 30 minutes in, Stuckmann said it addresses a big complaint about the series, etc.

I wonder what it is?

Mr Cola

One thing im reading and liking is that there is a lot more to see in the backgrounds, aliens, easter eggs, things to talk about that are not related to the actual plot.

One thing im reading and liking is that there is a lot more to see in the backgrounds, aliens, easter eggs, things to talk about that are not related to the actual plot.

This gets me excited. One of my favorite aspects of the franchise are the details, big or small.

I'm more excited for this than episode 7 (which I thought was just ok). I'm seeing this on Friday and having a special viewing of Empire on Saturday. Is the soundtrack live yet?

-griffy-

Banned
I read it as, "Jyn is less imposing than Rey and had no male backup from the rest of the cast."

As a reminder, The Hollywood Reporter has previously reported that if the movie doesn't gross as much as The Force Awakens it will be Felicity Jones' fault, among other weird bullshit of the sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom