• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One Reviews & Impressions (Spoiler Tags Required)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of these reviews keep mentioning how there's some big secret that they don't want to spoil. One of them said it's about 30 minutes in, Stuckmann said it addresses a big complaint about the series, etc.

I wonder what it is?

The complaint about the series is probably
about the Death Star's exhaust port being an overly convenient weak spot.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
This gets me excited. One of my favorite aspects of the franchise are the details, big or small.

Yeah outside of Maz castle TFA was really lacking in terms of deeper fan lore, apparently there are things in this that were in the original sw script but cut....

Also spoiler (not a spoiler for the plot or anything that impacts the movie, literally just a fan service)
blue milk
appears in the beginning

A lot of these reviews keep mentioning how there's some big secret that they don't want to spoil. One of them said it's about 30 minutes in, Stuckmann said it addresses a big complaint about the series, etc.

I wonder what it is?

I've avoided all spoilers like the plague but I'd wager that's probably
Tarkin
?

Burt

I wonder what it is?

I haven't read, haven't seen anything, don't know anything about spoilers, but my money's on one of two things:

"How could the Empire let a moon-sized 8 octillion dollar ship get destroyed by one torpedo down a ventilation shaft? That's a ridiculous and insane oversight!"

Because Mads Mikkelsen secretly built it in because he wanted to destroy the Death Star

"Why is Rey just another brunette white girl?"

Because when Natalie Portman is your grandmother, and Carrie Fisher is your aunt, and Mark Hamil is your father, and Felicity Jones is your mother, you're gonna have brown hair

That second one's a little sarcastic, but I'm just trying to insert that I wouldn't be surprised if Felicity Jones actually was Rey's mother now, because it's hard to put it past Disney to ever skip an opportunity to tie together a cinematic universe

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
So your mileage looks like it will vary but for SW fans this is apparently really good and great fanservice, but for your everyday fan you could either love it or be mildly amused.

As a die hard SW fan

Gimme.

Cels

pretty excited for this

donnie yen's character is a a win-win, seems like a cool character (zatoichi-ish?) and should make the movie popular in china

although the cynic in me says that if this movie were made just a few years ago, back before china became a big box office market, there wouldn't be any chinese actors in important roles in the film

Yeah outside of Maz castle TFA was really lacking in terms of deeper fan lore, apparently there are things in this that were in the original sw script but cut....

I dunno, I kind of felt that way at first but a lot of things grew on me. There's actually a lot of new stuff in there, or at least the beginnings of things that will feel "deeper" as they go. I definitely know what you mean by that and again I sorta felt that to begin with, but I'm just saying as the story continues that elements from VII will, or at least should feel more like a foundation. I thought this way about IV and V as well. Like IV obviously had more to it as it was the first-ever thing that introduced it all, but I thought V was where it really grew, taking the elements of IV and adding a load more lore and details to what was established in IV.

molnizzle

Moving on up.

c6RGc4a.png

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?

this fucking review has a huge spoiler in it. fucked up man

edit: i mean maybe this was already known but here it is:

But even creepier — jaw-droppingly so — is the resurrection of the late and singular British actor Peter Cushing, who played the role of Grand Moff Tarkin, the Imperial leader first seen in Star Wars: Episode IV—A New Hope. Cushing, who died in 1994 at age 81, pops up here, with matter-of-fact naturalness and complete credibility, playing the same character he did before with fresh dialogue. It's the art (and deceit) of CGI taken to new and perfected lengths, and it has to be said that this actor, dead now for more than 20 years, gives a better performance than some other actors in the cast.

Mr Cola

I dunno, I kind of felt that way at first but a lot of things grew on me. There's actually a lot of new stuff in there, or at least the beginnings of things that will feel "deeper" as they go. I definitely know what you mean by that and again I sorta felt that to begin with, but I'm just saying as the story continues that elements from VII will, or at least should feel more like a foundation. I thought this way about IV and V as well. Like IV obviously had more to it as it was the first-ever thing that introduced it all, but I thought V was where it really grew, taking the elements of IV and adding a load more lore and details to what was established in IV.

Its not a criticism for me because ive never been a collector, but it is for a lot of people, its not enough to make them dislike tfa its just "Of the things that it didnt quite do, this is one". Having seen all the backlash TFA has had I really hope over the next two films people begin to appreciate how necessary it was.

Mr Cola

Interesting reading that the middle is very slow but the characters are underdeveloped, I wonder what the hell is going on then.

Also the third act being incredible and the final 10 minutes mind blowing have me in goosebumps.

sphagnum

Banned
I'm finding the split reaction over
CGI Tarkin
fascinating. Some say it looks perfect, others say it looks horrible.

Its not a criticism for me because ive never been a collector, but it is for a lot of people, its not enough to make them dislike tfa its just "Of the things that it didnt quite do, this is one". Having seen all the backlash TFA has had I really hope over the next two films people begin to appreciate how necessary it was.

I don't really think there's a lot of backlash. It depends on where you look. Anecdotally nobody I know thinks it's bad or even mediocre, but you can get online and find people hating on anything really. It was also the recipient of good reviews, but there's people who will try-hard their way into discrediting them. Most people I know loved it, the recurring criticism being the typical "it was a lot like IV again" but they still liked it despite that.

Mr Cola

Expectations firmly tempered, its about how I thought it would be, there will be enough there to enjoy but its not going to set the world alight, incredibly curious what the ending is now.

I've always wanted a Star Wars war movie, and the positive and negative reviews confirm that's what Rogue One is, with all what's good and bad about those types of films included.

But even creepier — jaw-droppingly so — is the resurrection of the late and singular British actor Peter Cushing, who played the role of Grand Moff Tarkin, the Imperial leader first seen in Star Wars: Episode IV—A New Hope. Cushing, who died in 1994 at age 81, pops up here, with matter-of-fact naturalness and complete credibility, playing the same character he did before with fresh dialogue. It's the art (and deceit) of CGI taken to new and perfected lengths, and it has to be said that this actor, dead now for more than 20 years, gives a better performance than some other actors in the cast.
That's kind of crazy and kind of scary and weird...but also fascinating in a way.

Mr Cola

And once the new year starts we can get into episode 8 hype, only a year from now :D

Levito

Banned
Sounds like it isn't as good as the TFA but is an excellent side story. Also yay we finally have a good Star Wars prequel!

Mr Cola

Yup this is what I'm most excited about. Warm weather will bring EP8. Is it Dec 2017 yet?

Its hard to believe its a year, harder still to believe it finished shooting a while ago

Is it celebration yet?

I hope there is something at superbowl.

Meowster

this sounds awesome

Surfinn

"It stands alone as the best Star Wars entry since 1980's The Empire Strikes Back. Yes, it's that good."

From a top critic.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
That's kind of crazy and kind of scary and weird...but also fascinating in a way.

Yeah I mean it could be pretty cool. It's got me thinking about another movie that did this but failed pretty bad at it...

Tron remake...oof. Gotta be better than that attempt at least.

Why is this so huge? Can someone explain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom