• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One Reviews & Impressions (Spoiler Tags Required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Why is this so huge? Can someone explain?

I for one had no idea he was going to be showing up in this. I think it's a pretty big spoiler for them to resurrect that character via CGI and apparently he has a lot of screen time. IGN and the Stuckman review mentioned it still feels a bit unnatural but they don't mention the character by name at least. they had to have been referring to this

So the characters are underdeveloped and the middle act is tugrid and dull, but it looks fantastic, has s great final forty mintues, and just enough charm and humor to sasify

SilentRob

I know you can't say anything but I just have one question. Just one!

Is there a lightsaber used or not?

Now I can answer!

Yes. A single scene. It's fucking amazing.

Damn, Jeremy Jahns saying Vader
is pretty inconsequential, you could take him out and it wouldn't change the movie

:(

Very true. Reminded me a lot
of the Joker in Suicide Squad, only not terrible. Vader is only in 2 scenes and has nothing to do with the plot. Could be cut out without consequences

jet1911

Resurrecting a long dead actor for a relatively meaty role with new lines? This isn't just a de-aging or Paul Walker's face for a few seconds. Imagine the possibilities

Maybe I'm crazy but I'm pretty sure his character is in one of the trailer no?

Timu

RT Critics Consensus: Rogue One draws deep on Star Wars mythology while breaking new narrative and aesthetic ground -- and suggesting a bright blockbuster future for the franchise.

sphagnum

Banned
Looks like Bobby is echoing that a ton of the footage from the trailers didn't make it into the movie, but it apparently doesn't matter.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Im not sure what you wanted 7 to be, but it had to wash away 1-3, so..............................

May not be a shared opinion but I grew up on the prequels, so I enjoy them. I thought VII was a lesser film than the prequels :D

Altairre

May not be a shared opinion but I grew up on the prequels, so I enjoy them. I thought VII was a lesser film than the prequels :D

hpcqAz9.gif

CloudWolf

Here's our review, pretty mixed -- went with negative on Rotten Tomatoes per author's request:

Review: ‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’ is Burdened by Franchise Expectations

Going to check it out myself hopefully Thursday. Loved Godzilla, so hope there is still a semblance of Edwards' style here.

A cameo by those two assholes from the Cantina in ANH? Man, this film is taking the 'small universe' criticism to entirely new levels, isn't it?

Levito

Banned
this fucking review has a huge spoiler in it. fucked up man

edit: i mean maybe this was already known but here it is:

But even creepier — jaw-droppingly so — is the resurrection of the late and singular British actor Peter Cushing, who played the role of Grand Moff Tarkin, the Imperial leader first seen in Star Wars: Episode IV—A New Hope. Cushing, who died in 1994 at age 81, pops up here, with matter-of-fact naturalness and complete credibility, playing the same character he did before with fresh dialogue. It's the art (and deceit) of CGI taken to new and perfected lengths, and it has to be said that this actor, dead now for more than 20 years, gives a better performance than some other actors in the cast.

Wow that sounds weird.

kswiston

Again, you guys need to look at the review average. Still 7.5

EDIT: Moana is at 96% with a 7.9 and Doctor Strange is at 91% with a 7.3

Here's our review, pretty mixed -- went with negative on Rotten Tomatoes per author's request:

Review: ‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’ is Burdened by Franchise Expectations

Going to check it out myself hopefully Thursday. Loved Godzilla, so hope there is still a semblance of Edwards' style here.

A little of the mainstay Star Wars stuff is fine, but for crying out loud, please invent new spaceships and aliens and planets and characters who can both stand on their own and aren’t variations on what already exists

This seems like an odd complaint about this movie given that....

It takes place literally weeks before an existing movie in the franchise. Otherwise I fully agree and hope we get more creativity in future installments either through the mainline or the offshoots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom