• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One Reviews & Impressions (Spoiler Tags Required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Do not let anyone tell you that you are not entitled to your terrible opinion.

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_708as54nu2w4ks0kocwgscgk8_640.gif

Vinny is GAF's #1 Divergent fan.

You're goddamn right!

79% is too low for Revenge of the Sith.

Agreed, best in the franchise!

79% is too low for Revenge of the Sith.

It actually was 80 for the longest time. When TFA released last year, ROTS and the other SW movies were updated. ROTJ went from 78 to 80. ANH went from 95 to 93, TESB went from 97 to 94, AOTC stayed in the mid 60's, TPM become rotten at 55.

So the characters are underdeveloped and the middle act is tugrid and dull, but it looks fantastic, has s great final forty mintues, and just enough charm and humor to sasify

Man, a great forty minutes is all I need for a good evening.

Oh wait, we talking about the movie?

Now I can answer!

Yes. A single scene. It's fucking amazing.

YES. I didn't want it to be a huge aspect of the film, just an OH SHIT moment really.

Fuck yeah. Music, action, and visuals are what make Star Wars for me.

Remember in TFA when you could hear the sizzle and crackle of the laser being held in air by Kylo? Yeah that's the good shit.

A Penguin

Biting review from Time placing it below the prequels...

http://time.com/4597915/rogue-one-review-star-wars-story/?xid=time_socialflow_twitter

Franchise loyalists will recognize him as Bail Organa, from Revenge of the Sith and Attack of the Clones, a reminder of the days when the Star Wars franchise was a bountiful font of drag-queen names. Rogue One made me nostalgic for those movies, a thing I never thought I’d say. They were boring and stupid and Lucas, their mastermind, took them way too seriously. But at least they scooted along, semi-efficiently, on the fumes of their own ridiculousness.

kswiston

If I cared about that I'd just look at Metacritic. I prefer RT specifically because of how they achieve the aggregate score. I find it to be a much better barometer for film (compared to video games where everything would have a 90+ rating).

For film, there is often little difference between an 80% and a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes for the majority of blockbusters. In this specific case, it means a few more 2.5/5s instead of 3/5s, balanced out by more 4/5+ scores.

RT reviewers can even decide to go fresh or rotten on their borderline 3/5 or C level reviews.

Goodstyle

Sith is better than Jedi IMO

I used to think this as well, until I rewatched Jedi last year in preparation for TFA, and man, it holds up shockingly well. Wanna talk about a film with an amazing final act? Look no further than this one. One of the best climaxes to any movie I've ever seen.

Boke1879

I used to think this as well, until I rewatched Jedi last year in preparation for TFA, and man, it holds up shockingly well. Wanna talk about a film with an amazing final act? Look no further than this one. One of the best climaxes to any movie I've ever seen.

Best part of the movie IMO. The throne Room IMO is the best part of the entire series.

deleted

I just really don't know who to trust with blockbuster reviews regarding my taste anymore.

There should be some sort of Mad Max metric. I'd like to rule out everyone's opinion that didn't like that movie very much. Would make things a bit easier.

Are people judging this by the prequels, by Episode VII, by superhero movies?

Not a Rogue One problem btw, I just don't know which reviews to trust - I like RLM, but not for Blockbuster reviews, Double Toasted, but not on Blockbuster reviews :p
Open for good ones.

That being said: I didn't unconditionally love Godzilla (dope visuals, horrible characters) and I guess he didn't suddenly had an epiphany in the character department judging by the early impressions. Hopefully that everybody likes them, doesn't mean that the last 30 minutes are just an action overflow... Excited for tomorrow evening to find out for myself.

Moff

I really can't wait to see
cgi Cushing
, it's easily what I am excited for the most. 2 days left.

Davide

For ROTS, more than half of the time I have to shut down my brain to accept the plot and dialogue but I do like it. I can appreciate how unique it is apart from the original trilogy now that we've gone back to the old style, even the special effects. It's like a painting a lot of the time. Like I've said before, it's not great film making but it's art. It's not up to the quality of the average Marvel movie but the whole trilogy needed massive reworking. When George Lucas eventually dies it will be remembered well.

I hope Rogue One is as good. This could be the Iron Man 2 of the new Star Wars cinematic universe - not as bad but finding it's way and paving the way for better movies.

TheXbox

I'm done with this "fans will love it!" line. Star Wars fans haven't proven themselves to be keen on lapping shit in the past. I'm not saying Rogue One is bad - I've not seen it, and it sounds fine - but fans of this series generally don't grade on a curve. If anything, the consensus among diehards versus the consensus of critics/general audience tends to skew lower. Revenge of the Sith is a prime example, and we've still got intermittent back-and-forth about TFA's creative merits twelve months after it's release, while that film sits on a 92% RT and five Academy Award noms.

smisk

I rarely pay attention to film reviews so I should really try and ignore this stuff until Thursday. But I want this movie to be great so bad I can't help myself.

Best part of the movie IMO. The throne Room IMO is the best part of the entire series.

The end of ROTJ is amazing, but the rest is kinda... eh, I dunno. It's weird, I like most of what I'm seeing when watching ROTJ, but in a sense it just feels kinda dull compared to some of the others. I think ROTS is far more enjoyable all the way through.

Goodstyle

Right? The issue is the pacing and structure of the movie, but the highs are the best in the series IMO. Basically comes down to whether or not it makes up for 30 minutes of Jabba + Ewoks.

A Penguin

The final act of the movie is what elevates Jedi to greatness. Everything else? Not so much...the first act at Jabba's palace just feels disjointed and awkward compared to the rest of the film. The whole business with gaining the Ewoks' trust just drags on.

The final act of the movie is what elevates Jedi to greatness. Everything else? Not so much...the first act at Jabba's palace just feels disjointed and awkward compared to the rest of the film. The whole business with gaining the Ewoks' trust just drags on.

Yep - the fat middle. But that ending. The space battle to end all space battles.

Levito

Banned
Revenge of the Sith has 79%? This is why I don't trust reviewers.

The positive reviews for that film are largely the result of people having zero expectations. It doesn't feel like an embarrassing mess like Clones, and has a little more emotional punch.

Still a garbage movie though. The lightsabre duel looks more like a WWE choreographed performance than a sword duel.

A Penguin

The positive reviews for that film are largely the result of people having zero expectations. It doesn't feel like an embarrassing mess like Clones, and has a little more emotional punch.

Still a garbage movie though. The lightsabre duel looks more like a WWE choreographed performance than a sword duel.

Am I the only one fine with the flashy choreography in the prequels? I find it a spectacle and fun to watch. Also supposed to represent the Jedi at their prime so it does make sense thematically.

Toa TAK

Banned
Am I the only one fine with the flashy choreography in the prequels? I find it a spectacle and fun to watch. Also supposed to represent the Jedi at their prime so it does make sense thematically.

You're not. I had a blast watching them, especially ROTS'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom