• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One Reviews & Impressions (Spoiler Tags Required)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one fine with the flashy choreography in the prequels? I find it a spectacle and fun to watch. Also supposed to represent the Jedi at their prime so it does make sense thematically.

Nope, I'm with you. They were Force-expert sword wielders. Of course it was gonna get fancy.

molnizzle

Am I the only one fine with the flashy choreography in the prequels? I find it a spectacle and fun to watch. Also supposed to represent the Jedi at their prime so it does make sense thematically.

It could have made sense thematically but it just looked ridiculous. The final duels in RotS and AotC were particularly stupid looking. TPM did a much better job there. That looked like Jedi in their prime. Anakin vs. Obi-Wan looked 100% choreographed. Zero impact.

The flashy-ness of the lightsaber fights weren't my problem with the prequel lightsaber fights.

Its was the lack of any emotional weight and the they were horribly paced.

Timu

The end of ROTJ is amazing, but the rest is kinda... eh, I dunno. It's weird, I like most of what I'm seeing when watching ROTJ, but in a sense it just feels kinda dull compared to some of the others. I think ROTS is far more enjoyable all the way through.
You are crazy!!!=O

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I used to think this as well, until I rewatched Jedi last year in preparation for TFA, and man, it holds up shockingly well. Wanna talk about a film with an amazing final act? Look no further than this one. One of the best climaxes to any movie I've ever seen.

Jedi did two things extremely well.

It is one of the few series that actually delivered the final battle. The Space Battle with Luke on looking is probably the best conclusion we've got.

Shame about where ever the hell Lela and Han on were again.

No. They're awesome. The style makes sense considering who's fighting, the powers they have (especially of foresight), etc.

They're exactly what I wanted out of the prequel fights. The idea of Jedi/Sith in their prime in lightsaber duels was always fascinating to me as a kid, and I feel like I got that.

Boem

He's probably already gone, but...

I don't even remember you.

Remember me Bobby? I'm not particularly memorable, but we had a few Star Wars and Doctor Who (even Ghostbusters) discussions in our time. I always enjoyed our talks, and we agreed on a lot of things, but I've wanted to point out that I was right about the Rogue One opening titles (I claimed they would probably ditch the opening crawl, you thought they would never do that).

I'm not a humble man. I'm not above holding on to months-old arguments just to celebrate my victory when I'm right (or forgetting about it when I turn out to be wrong). You're a guy who knows a lot of the secret background workings of this industry, and I respect that. Makes me feel even better about being right all those months ago. Doesn't happen often.

Yes, I'm shamelessly rubbing a nonsensical semi-victory in your face.

I miss you buddy :(. Why Twitter?

3217d5921d261a2cc2be14e9eab6b611.jpg

He's probably already gone, but...

No. I saw this. You were right, and I was wrong. They did what I thought they didn't need to do, and the movie works just fine the way it is. It was a good choice, and I liked it.

And I remember you Boem. You're almost always good reading.

Levito

Banned

It's impressive choreography, and I get what they were going for, but it looks stupid IMO. It feels so over the top where they're spinning their swords around a thousand times rather than actually swinging at each other. It lacks grit.

Like one of my favorite moments in Star Wars is Luke losing it on Vader and just wildly swinging for the fences with his lightsaber. Filled with rage, no fineness, kinda like what happens when most people get in a fight in their life!

Like one of my favorite moments in Star Wars is Luke losing it on Vader and just wildly swinging for the fences with his lightsaber. Filled with rage, no fineness, kinda like what happens when most people get in a fight in their life!

Yes. That's why that one and TFA will probably always be my favorite lightsaber duels.

It's impressive choreography, and I get what they were going for, but it looks stupid IMO. It feels so over the top where they're spinning their swords around a thousand times rather than actually swinging at each other. It lacks grit.

Someone needs to post the gif of Anakin and obi wan swinging their sabers over and over

It's about the context, though. That made sense for that. The fights in the prequels made sense in their own context. But I get preferring one thing to the other. I think there's a place for different things though.

I also don't think they just swung their sabers around mindlessly, some of it was for show/intimidation, which also makes sense. Before someone quotes with that god damn part in Revenge of the Sith, it was a 2-second bit where they were testing one another's foresight, and when they clash it symbolically represented Anakin and Obi-Wan as equals. It's amusing as fuck what kind of a big deal people turn that into. I thought of it as some kind of Force-roulette, in a sense.

I don't think the Jedi are in their prime in Revenge of the Sith. Their hubris blinds them and leads to their destruction. Maybe they were at their highest numbers but certainly not what I'd call their 'prime' as evidenced by them nearly being wiped out.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Old Republic is when the Jedi are at their prime. The whole point of the prequels is that they became too dogmatic for their own good.

Old Republic is when the Jedi are at their prime. The whole point of the prequels is that they became too dogmatic for their own good.

But what would that have to do with the skills they have? Dooku was one of the greatest swordsman of all time at the end of the Jedi era.

But what would that have to do with the skills they have? Dooku was one of the greatest swordsman of all time at the end of the Jedi era.

I'd break legs to get a movie set when Dooku was younger. Holy shit that'd be cool. Still one of my favorite characters in SW and one of the best things about the prequels.

Levito

Banned
It's about the context, though. That made sense for that. The fights in the prequels made sense in their own context. But I get preferring one thing to the other. I think there's a place for different things though.

I also don't think they just swung their sabers around mindlessly, some of it was for show/intimidation, which also makes sense. Before someone quotes with that god damn part in Revenge of the Sith, it was a 2-second bit where they were testing one another's foresight, and when they clash it symbolically represented Anakin and Obi-Wan as equals. It's amusing as fuck what kind of a big deal people turn that into. I thought of it as some kind of Force-roulette, in a sense.

Again, I get what they were going for and the stunt people/choreographers did an amazing job. That's kinda part of the problem for me personally though, it looking like dancing, you can tell it was practiced for probably hundreds of hours, it looks really fake. Obi-wan(or was it Anakin?) even does a WWE-style clothesline at one point haha.

I'm also not one of those people that's going to defend the Vader vs Obi-wan fight in ANH either, for the record. That was pretty bad too but for different reasons.

Timu

The flashy-ness of the lightsaber fights weren't my problem with the prequel lightsaber fights.

Its was the lack of any emotional weight and the they were horribly paced.
Exactly this. They can be flashy all they want, but I want to see them actually fight as in trying to kill each other like in the OT. Instead we get this, plus the Episode 6 Luke vs Vader fight is still more intense than the prequel lightsaber fights for various reasons.

Again, I get what they were going for and to stun people/choreographers did an amazing job. That's kinda part of the problem for me personally though, it looking like dancing, you can tell it was practice for probably hundreds of hours. Obi-wan(or was it Anakin?) even does a WWE-style clothesline at one point haha.

For me that was the beauty of it, I guess it's just something I appreciate and it's how I imagined they'd look. Force-sensitive monks fighting with lightsabers would be elegant, I think, in nature.

But-- that's not to say I don't get your viewpoint!

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oh I thought we were talking prime mentally.

I mean, yeah it makes sense for the prequel fights to be flashy since they're all master Jedi but it's all still so boring. The lightsaber fights outside TPM's final battle have no tension at all.

No. I saw this. You were right, and I was wrong. They did what I thought they didn't need to do, and the movie works just fine the way it is. It was a good choice, and I liked it.

And I remember you Boem. You're almost always good reading.
Well, do you remember me, Bobby? When I killed Bronson Lee I talked JUST... LIKE... THIS!
CBL8jf6.jpg

The big duel in TPM was flashy, fun and well blocked, but that was mainly because of the talents of Ray Park. Every other duel in the prequels looked goofy and overdone.

No. They're awesome. The style makes sense considering who's fighting, the powers they have (especially of foresight), etc.

They're exactly what I wanted out of the prequel fights. The idea of Jedi/Sith in their prime in lightsaber duels was always fascinating to me as a kid, and I feel like I got that.

Yup. Exactly

Loved it

Levito

Banned
94 reviews, above 75%. We certified baby (as soon as RT gets off their ass).

It's looking good! Honestly I think I'm most excited for the land battles. Godzilla 2014 wasn't a great film but the scale of the monster battles was AWESOME. I hope Edward's sense of scale can translate well to big warfare scenes well. (sounds like it does anyway)

Brandon no you were always a good dude.

Jumeira

Banned
Yeah RotS was a great SW movie. Watched the whole saga with a bunch of new comers (5 of them) they all loved RoTS the most. Uproar about these are only on the net for me.

For me that was the beauty of it, I guess it's just something I appreciate and it's how I imagined they'd look. Force-sensitive monks fighting with lightsabers would be elegant, I think, in nature.

But-- that's not to say I don't get your viewpoint!

High five. Much rather watch those then the clumsy aimless mad man swinging of the OT. Jedi had emotion though.

Hagi

The fights in the prequels all feel too floaty, no weight and come across like they were doing rhythmic gymnastics rather than fighting each other. It's all down hill from the final duel in Phantom Menace.

Surfinn

Jesus. This film has a 7.5 average review score on RT (not talking about percentage of fresh/rotten). That's really high..

Its hard to believe its a year, harder still to believe it finished shooting a while ago

Is it celebration yet?

I hope there is something at superbowl.

Seriously. I've been dreaming of EP8 for.. a long time. Long time.

Syriel

Its crazy, almost something straight out of Black Mirror ( which would of course show the very worst and most vile aspect of that)

I want to see it how realistic it is though before commenting more about that

Notable step up from TRON: Legacy.

If I didn't know
that the actor was dead
and came in w/no knowledge, I wouldn't have known.

During the film
my mind was going back and forth between "did they really managed to pull that off?" and "was that a look-alike?"

Didn't confirm it until the credits rolled.

But dat final shot doe.

I'd break legs to get a movie set when Dooku was younger. Holy shit that'd be cool. Still one of my favorite characters in SW and one of the best things about the prequels.
Are you basing your love for him off of Clone Wars or something? Because I fail to see what's cool about him or even what his character is, especially with Christopher Lee gone.

Are you basing your love for him off of Clone Wars or something? Because I fail to see what's cool about him, especially with Christopher Lee gone.

What does Lee being gone have anything to do with the ability to like a character that the late actor played? I'd imagine he'd be happy to know that people liked his work.

To answer your question, many things. His look, his saber, the gray area his character was in, his elegance, and presence in general.

The Hermit

Notable step up from TRON: Legacy.

If I didn't know
that the actor was dead
and came in w/no knowledge, I wouldn't have known.

During the film
my mind was going back and forth between "did they really managed to pull that off?" and "was that a look-alike?"

Didn't confirm it until the credits rolled.

But dat final shot doe.

Oh man

I heard a lot of this

I wasn't considering watching this on the theater because of TFA, but I might give a chance later.

Have we heard any updates on Ep 8? This thing's been locked tighter than TFA was.

One of the most exciting things about Rogue One finally releasing is that those locks are about to come off.

I'm staying spoiler-free for VIII, like I did with VII. That really paid off. I'm just eager for the subtitle and a teaser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom