• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One Reviews & Impressions (Spoiler Tags Required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfinn

VII was the re-launch of the franchise and introduction to a new generation. Its also the direct sequel to the biggest movie trilogy of all time. I don't think there was any way they were going to be able to keep it all under wraps due to having that kind of scrutiny.

In a way though, because of everything that VII was, and had to be, it greatly takes the pressure off the subsequent films and hopefully things can be more manageable.

Again as far as I understand the leaks didn't happen because of its popularity but rather because fired employee(s?) leaked info.

That scene, btw, is not in the movie :(

...THE FUCK

But....but I loved his delivery so much. Like, I just knew that was going to be an awesome scene.

g2JSElD.gif

God damn, I just took a wrong turn on the intertubes and read a pretty large spoiler. Hold me, gaf.

I guess I should know better. If you want to stay spoiler free you just have to shut the internet off and watch the fireplace until release.

SilentRob

Craziness. Is it the same scene just with that line cut, or the whole scene is gone? Because if it's the whole scene, that's less Vader.

His conversation with Vader is in, but it's pretty short.

There is quite a lot missing from the trailers, so I figured I'd write up a list so you know what not to look forward to or be afraid of ;) Mind you, it's entirely possible I simply forgot about one or two of those scenes, so no guarantee.

From Teaser Trailer

0:32 "I rebel"
1:09 Forest Whitaker's whole monologue (he's also wearing a wig in the finished movie as in the later trailers)
1:21 That one action scene with them running (plays out completely different in the finished movie, these characters are never at this place in this configuration)
1:28 MC looking past camera (not 100% sure)

From Official Trailer #1

0:38 - "Good?" Good."
0:48 "You destroyed our hope!" (not 100% sure)
0:59 "I will not kill you"
1:23 "There is a 97.6 chance of failure"
1:28 "He means well"
1:35 "This is our chance to make a real difference" (not 100% sure)
1:43 Walk on the catwalk, Fighter rising up (scene play out completely different in the movie)
1:56 Vader (seems hard to imagine this awesome shot is missing, so I'm not 100% confident, but I don't remember it from the movie at all and I wouldn't imagine I'd forget it)

From Official Trailer #2

1:15 Vader (see my last point above)
1:16 "The POWAAAH we are dealing with here..."

1:56 Vader (seems hard to imagine this awesome shot is missing, so I'm not 100% confident, but I don't remember it from the movie at all and I wouldn't imagine I'd forget it)

I'm not surprised they cut that one. It always seemed like a shot designed for the trailer to tease Vader.

Fj0823

that reply!

btw, how does this movie stand on his own?

I mean, TFA clearly doesn't and references the Episode VIII and has a lot of unanswered questions.

Does Rogue One needs ANH, or all information/dialogue is self-contained?

I think you only need to know the empire is building the death star, which is shown at the end of III

I love mark hammill so damn much.

He is literally one of my childhood heroes.
Same here, just as much as Harrison Ford.

Hamill was right in front of me at the TFA London premiere and that was the first time I've been genuinely star struck (and I've seen my share of actors). Was grinning like an idiot.

Same here, just as much as Harrison Ford.

Hamill was right in front of me at the TFA London premiere and that was the first time I've been genuinely star struck (and I've seen my share of actors). Was grinning like an idiot.

Yeah yeah person who met a bunch of people for TFA we get it shut up.

I need to meet Daisy at Celebration next year something fierce.

gon be real upset if "the POWAH we're dealing with is unmeasurable", such a pulpy line of dialog declared with such rigorous confidence by one of our best current actors

Gonna see it this weekend with my brother.

Is it possible...that it's actually good?
Was there any doubt? I mean regardless of whether you think Disney's output is landmark cinema or not, to think it would end up bad goes against their factory-like method of producing at bare-minimum well-produced studio films.

opoth

Banned
Was there any doubt? I mean regardless of whether you think Disney's output is landmark cinema or not, to think it would end up bad goes against their factory-like method of producing at bare-minimum well-produced studio films.

Exactly, you are never going to get a singular vision of something like the prequels ever again. These are movies by committee, and I'm okay with that. The best Star Wars films were collaborative efforts - Lucas was nothing without Gary Kurtz producing and Marcia Lucas editing.

Surfinn

Exactly, you are never going to get a singular vision of something like the prequels ever again. These are movies by committee, and I'm okay with that. The best Star Wars films were collaborative efforts - Lucas was nothing without Gary Kurtz producing and Marcia Lucas editing.
Yup the dictatorship is over. At least in SW..

For those who have seen or or have been reading spoilers, I got a question for ya.

As a Vader fan, will I be satisfied by his role in the movie? I read an interview where they said he doesn't have much of a role and I got a little bummed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom