• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One Reviews & Impressions (Spoiler Tags Required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Certinty

Went with 2 friends and they actually wanted to leave because they were finding it so bad. In comparison they both liked Episode 7.

As for me it was decent at best. Expected way better from what my other friends had been telling me though. Oh well, it killed 2 hours of time at least.

munchie64

This movie was lazy. Much prefer the prequels over it. Most boring SW film yet outside of Xmas special.
5mRmd.gif

The last act alone is better than the prequels to me. But... I guess people want different things out of Star Wars films.

Honestly Rogue One made me wish we could get more Empire versus Rebel Movies.

Would love to see more fleshed out Space battles etc. of course the fact Episode 7 had its Major fleet battle removed because of the people in charge afraid people could not comprehend if there were more than just Xwing and Tie fighters now I am not sure we will ever get another awesome fleet battle.

agreed.

Something that sort of feels like Battlestar Galactica would be dope (as far as space combat, perhaps with a survival theme).

Pastulio

Banned
I thought the movie was great, better than episode 7 because it took more risks and wasn't afraid to do something different. The cameos are slim (2, I think?) And they didn't bother me at all. The lack of character development doesn't bother me either. I feel the story is more about the rebel cause the strength of the Empire. People who say they almost walked out on the film because it was so bad are exaggerating or acting like children because it's in no way a bad film. People expectations of star wars is becoming rediculous.

agreed.

Something that sort of feels like Battlestar Galactica would be dope (as far as space combat, perhaps with a survival theme).

One thing the film does very well is put you in the mindset of the Rebellion, moreso than Rebels or even the OT IMO. You really get the sense of the Empire as this oppressive, monolithic force.

Replicant

For my money, it was okay.

I kind of expected how things was going to go down in this film and it followed it to a pat. Still, I think I like this better than TFA.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Did not hear that
Tarkin
was CGI before going into it, and I didn't realize he was CGI at a casual glance. I mean, it makes sense to me now, but honestly I thought they did a real good job there.

K-2SO was amazing.

Speevy

Banned
This movie is about a few events, and I don't think that with the amount of attention paid to the small details of these events, you can accurately call it lazy.

You might call individual aspects of the production lazy, such as the lack of time to develop character. However, everything that occurred in the film is filled with an ample amount of context and effect. You see everything you'd hope to see in an action movie, and the movie totally builds the Star Wars universe without that much reliance on older characters.

Pastulio

Banned
This movie was lazy. Much prefer the prequels over it. Most boring SW film yet outside of Xmas special.

I can't think of anything lazier than directing an entire film (3) in front of a green screen and CGing 95% of the final print. Your opinion is objectively wrong; or bait.

Kuro

This movie was so good. I think its my third favorite behind ANH and ESB. It was so much better than The Force Awakens in almost every way. The only thing TFA really has over it is the character development and Jedi stuff. The special effects, CGI, music, pacing, action scenes so good.

Saw it on opening night, wanted some time to collect my thoughts before posting. Much like I did with episode VII, I tried to remain as dark as possible going in (it was difficult given I work in media), but going in I knew little outside the general premise. As such, many of the smaller surprises (casting, cameos, references, etc.) were left intact for me to discover, for better AND for worse.

I'll be frank here: some 30 minutes into the movie I felt there was the potential here to rival Empire for the franchise's best film, and 90 minutes later I was asking myself when would it end. After my day of reflection, I feel I've identified two reasons that caused me to feel that way, neither of which inspire much confidence in Disney's track record going forward.

The first reason is structure. The biggest flaw with TFA is that it has a fantastic first act, and middling second act, and a third act that felt meandering and rushed. Rogue One magnifies this problem as it repeats the same problems, but unlike TFA, its the second act which is rushed to make room for the overblown third act. This change affects character development, it affects the movie's pacing, and it makes the fact that this was cobbled together feel much more evident.

The second reason is nostalgia. I'm not dumb, I know why this film was made. Star Wars iconography has a lot of cache with a specific audience of people, and those people spend good money on it, myself included. The problem comes from just how much the film begins to rely on it, and how the original ideas start to get overshadowed when the film starts constantly asking: "Remember this? Remember THIS?" It goes beyond my mere distaste for this kind of surface level stuff, though, and starts affecting the quality of the film. Mild, non-specific spoiler:
I didn't realize one of the cameos was going to be primarily a CG redition (for reasons that become obvious when they appear), and the CG for them is so bad, I was in shock for the rest of the scene. Considering how much better this was implimented in another Disney movie that comes to mind, I'm shocked that something with the STAR WARS brand wasn't given the money to make it look even as good as it was in that film.
It feels opportunistic, like many of the more painfully obvious references, which is a shame because the more frequent they become, the less time is made for the original cast's interactions, which are the best part of the film.

It wasn't all bad, though. As I mentioned, the original cast was the highlight, and the banter between them felt like classic Star Wars... most of the time. While I feel some of the action sequences go on for too long, they do look exceptional and are really well shot: Edwards knows how to make a nice looking action sequence. And for all my complaints about nostalgia, I did get the "one scene" I was hoping for out of all of it which almost redeemed the movie for me... almost.

So yeah, I really wanted to like this movie, but as it went on it felt like it lost confidence in itself, choosing instead to fill itself with references and fanservice that overshadow the cast and their journey instead of letting them shine, a problem I feel is going to plague every Disney Star Wars movie from now on (they're two for two on this problem, so I feel my skepticism is warranted). Maybe Episode VIII will be the film I'm looking for, but unlike the Rebellion, my faith in Disney isn't built on hope.

Lego Boss

Just came back from my second showing and had a better crowd than my first. There was a couple in Jedi cosplay and at the there were a lot of gasps and an audible holy shit lol

Thanks, going to see this in an hour and you just have a major part of the plot away.

Can't you read the OP?

I don't know why people want every blockbuster infected w/ that Marvel Herpes.

You almost get the sense people just try to get the movie out of the way asap so they can get a hit of those post-credits stingers.

I don't know why people want every blockbuster infected w/ that Marvel Herpes.

You almost get the sense people just try to get the movie out of the way asap so they can get a hit of those post-credits stingers.

I stayed to the end to listen to the music, but I had hope for some sort of Episode 8 tease. All hope is lost :(

3N16MA

Banned
No.

It was pretty funny, though. People audibly moaned that there wasn't one.

They can't all have stingers, people. When was the last time Star Wars had one?

Why do they need one? Everyone knows what the fuck is about to happen. We have see the first three films.

No.

It was pretty funny, though. People audibly moaned that there wasn't one.

They can't all have stingers, people. When was the last time Star Wars had one?

Just thought I'd ask, so I don't sit there like a jackass waiting for nothing. Was almost expecting a Epi 8 tease.

Like we flash back to the island, and Markys like "Hey" then STAR WARS EPISODE 8: THE PLOT THICKENS.

3N16MA

Banned
Just thought I'd ask, so I don't sit there like a jackass waiting for nothing. Was almost expecting a Epi 8 tease.

Like we flash back to the island, and Markys like "Hey" then STAR WARS EPISODE 8: THE PLOT THICKENS.

Shoving an episode 8 tease at the end of a prequel would be weird.

ExVicis

You're right in that it's lazy but despite all the problems I had I still had a good time. But I realize if you're not into action or
heroic deaths
the last act really won't do anything for you and ultimately if that's the case the movie won't be that great for you.

My girlfriend who loves Star Wars as one of the only movies her parents would let her watch growing up and she thinks the entire movie is laughable lazy and dumb especially the third act. Discussing with her that third act really made me realize if you aren't drawn in at all by the first act the movie falls apart as the first two acts are really slow, boring and lack anything really interesting. It's those last scenes that make up for everything and if it doesn't for you then the movie just falls apart.

Having said all that, I like the movie and that
Space Battle
might well be my favorite
Space Battle
of all time. But I'm not in love with the movie and I can see it's a very flawed movie.

Toa TAK

Banned
Why do they need one? Everyone knows what the fuck is about to happen. We have see the first three films.

You tell me. I had to laugh when people went "Awwww :(" but in my experience people have been staying at the end for all these big budget blockbusters. As someone who usually stays through the credits anyways, it's pretty interesting to see the number of people staying grow over the years.

I couldn't go even if I wanted to, I'm always in the center of the row and I'm not one to make a fuss trying to leave.

SuperSah

Banned
Watched it.

Fuck me that was excellent. The ending was perfect. I swear to God my jaw was hanging.

Incredible, definitely better than TFA

What would you even do with a post-credits scene here lol

Post credits scene is an entire movie called A New Hope (or The Force Awakens, I get them sooooo confused)

My audience was silent as hell yesterday. I was surprised but was thankful because hype crowds might have an obnoxious person or people making noise for too long that they talk over the dialogue. I don't mind them, just don't interrupt and take me out.

But when
Leia came up
, just about everybody gasped lol. Pretty awesome to experience that scene with others.
Second time in two pages someone has dropped this spoiler. What is going on?!

mrkgoo

In my second showing kid next to me, not my kid, maybe 8-10 year as old fell asleep in the last act and started leaning on me.

I was wondering should I be awesome and just let them rest their head on my arm? It was super distracting though. So I shifted over and leant away. Then the kid started falling even closer with their head about to go in my lap.

Fortunately they just hovered over for a moment before snapping awake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom