• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 2080 Super Review Thread

thelastword

Banned
RTX 2080 SUPER is about 5% faster on average over the RTX 2080 at the same $700 MSRP...

RTX 2080 SUPER is about 9% faster on average over the GTX 1080ti at the same MSRP the 1080Ti debuted 2 and a 1/2 years ago
with a 27% reduction in Vram.

RTX 2080 SUPER is on average 17% faster than the RX 5700 XT at 1440p at a 175% uplift in price.....

Basically, RTX 2080 SUPER functions as a regular RTX 2080 OC'd….

RTX 2080 SUPER is about 5% faster on average over the RTX 2080 at the same $700 MSRP...

RTX 2080 SUPER is about 9% faster on average over the GTX 1080ti at the same MSRP the 1080Ti debuted 2 and a 1/2 years ago

RTX 2080 SUPER is on average 17% faster than the RX 5700 XT at 1440p at a 175% uplift in price.....

That's... terrible value.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well...if you were planning on getting a 2080, it's clear that the Super is the version to get, but 5% isn't much

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What’s the price differential between 1080ti, 2080, and 2080 Super?
Unless you get used, the 1080 Ti is drastically more expensive ($800+) than either and really shouldn't be a consideration. Even then I would never recommend a used video card. That's just me.

If the 2060 and 2070 are anything to go by, the vanilla 2080 should get some stock clearing discounts and will likely offer better bang for buck compared to the 2080 Super. If you're lucky, you may be able to get a vanilla 2080 between $500- $600

Last edited:

Pey.

My review (in Spanish) which includes 20 game benchmarks: http://www.pcmrace.com/2019/07/23/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-super-8gb-founders-edition-review/

Assassin's Creed Origins
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Sid Meier's Civilization VI: Gathering Storm
F1 2018
F1 2019
Far Cry 5
Far Cry New Dawn
Final Fantasy XV
Forza Horizon 4
Metro Exodus
Middle-Earth: Shadow of War
Mortal Kombat 11
HITMAN 2
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Strange Brigade
The Division 2
Total War: Three Kingdoms
Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia
Warhammer 40.000: Dawn of War 3
World War Z

Leonidas

Solid performance.
relative-performance_2560-1440.png

performance-per-watt_2560-1440.png

Last edited:

tkscz

AMD really has to get into gear on the high end, this is stupid.

How? The 5700XT did what it claimed it was going to do, be better than the RTX 2070. The Super line was made SPECIFICALLY because of the 5700 and 5700XT (something AMD's marketing is claiming they knew would happen but I'm calling bullshit on that). AMD would have to release a 5900 and 5900X or Navi VII type card to compete with the super power to power, but would be around the same price, which people don't accept (everyone expects AMD to be at least $200 cheaper).

I was hoping for something better, just to push the price of the 2080ti down a bit xD

I guess I won't upgrade anytime soon, then. Maybe just the cpu come black friday.

I was hoping for something better. This won't affect the price of the 2080ti, sadly (and hoping for it was a bit silly, I know).

Keeping my gpu until 2020 it is, then.

waylo

Banned
This seems like terrible value, especially considering you'll likely be able to now find regular 2080's at a nice discount to make way for the Super version.

Leonidas

Better value for gaming than Radeon VII.

$699 GPUs (RTX 2080 Super vs. Radeon VII)

RTX 2080 S is 15+% faster after 5 months (Radeon VII almost matched 1080 Ti 2 years later)
RTX 2080 S is more power efficient (Radeon VII uses more power despite 7nm)
RTX 2080 S has much better perf/watt as a result

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
This seems like terrible value, especially considering you'll likely be able to now find regular 2080's at a nice discount to make way for the Super version.
Cheapest you can get one right now is $630 on Newegg (MSI RTX 2080 VENTUS), it's a limited offer, probably on sale. My opinion is that these would not be the best binned, the FE cards are the pick of the fruit, but they are always at MSRP at Nvidia's site and even more expensive when you see them on Newegg....A 2060 Super FE for e.g. is $500 on Newegg atm....

So when people mention MSRP and AIB's you have to be careful, even the less expensive AIB's you get on sale with worse cooling and clocks than the FE cards...For example, there's no way anyone should buy the 2 fan gigabyte 2060S over the Nvidia 2060S. By and large, the majority of the Super AIB cards are much higher than MSRP......The cheaper ones are not better than NVIDIA's FE's..

In any case, the truth is, you can still get a regular 2080 right now for $630 and OC it easily to 2080S levels, you save $70 and get the same performance.....Chances are powerdraw will be less on an OC'd 2080 too......Imagine that...

Yet what's sillier, is that a mildly OC'd 5700 XT is so close to a 2080, beating it in several games, even at 4k.......

That's a mild OC for the 5700XT, it can hit 2200-2300 on better cooling......This will be interesting....

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
A lot of people had high hopes for the 2080 Super and it's pretty much a dud.

Granted if you got $700 to spend it's pretty much your only option, but I'd keep a close eye out for vanilla 2080 deals as you can expect those to start getting removed from inventory.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some 2080s get discounted down to $600 or maybe as low as $500.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I was hoping for something better, just to push the price of the 2080ti down a bit xD

I guess I won't upgrade anytime soon, then. Maybe just the cpu come black friday.
What would lead you to believe that Nvidia would release a product that would push the price down of the 2080 Ti? That's fantasyland.

Last edited:

Shakka43

I'm almost done building a new PC (i7 9700k) but will keep using my GTX 1060 until Black Friday, so far the 2070S is the card that I'm most likely to get as the 2080/S don't look like enough of an improvement for the asking price.

Soltype

How? The 5700XT did what it claimed it was going to do, be better than the RTX 2070. The Super line was made SPECIFICALLY because of the 5700 and 5700XT (something AMD's marketing is claiming they knew would happen but I'm calling bullshit on that). AMD would have to release a 5900 and 5900X or Navi VII type card to compete with the super power to power, but would be around the same price, which people don't accept (everyone expects AMD to be at least $200 cheaper).
I want amd to put out something on the top end to stop nvidias crazy pricing.

Nvidia doing scummy things is par for the course. The only reason I keep buying their cards is because it's all that I am familiar with. I honestly couldn't tell you what the best card for AMD is, but I have always bought Nvidia because I had a bad experience with AMD back in the day and it left a really sour taste.

gspat

Nvidia doing scummy things is par for the course. The only reason I keep buying their cards is because it's all that I am familiar with. I honestly couldn't tell you what the best card for AMD is, but I have always bought Nvidia because I had a bad experience with AMD back in the day and it left a really sour taste.
Wait, What? You had a bad experience and refuse to go back?

When do you call the bad experience of nvidia draining your wallet and refuse to buy ANY card?

thelastword

Banned
I want amd to put out something on the top end to stop nvidias crazy pricing.
Is that all you want...or is it something you will buy?....If AMD does something like that.....and they will btw from all indications...Are people just asking that, so they can go buy SUPER cards at reduced prices? If AMD's high end offerings which most likely will beat Super/RTX cards.....Will people still come full circle and say AMD does not have RTX? Like some are doing now....

I have had quite a few Nvidia cards, I had more problems with Nvidia cards than AMD, even one of my first PC's used ATI integrated graphics and I never had an issue...….My 8800 Ultra just plain died for a $600 GPU after a while, so many driver errors over the years, crash galore... One of my most recent NV purchases was pretty much the same.....The last few years, if you were on Nvidia, they've had their fair share of bad drivers......I really don't remember having any issues with AMD cards, even in the heyday when persons spoke about "Nvidia drivers are good and AMD drivers are bad"......If that ever was the case, it's certainly not so now.....

In any case, there are bad experiences to be had everywhere, sometimes it's isolated to a bad card in the bunch, yet I think NV issues are a bit more pronounced......All the people who had DOA Turing cards at launch which displayed Space Invader graphics, now that's just bad imo….So yes, your experience with AMD may not have been great.....but for me, the water has been fine at AMD's pool for quite a bit, since I've had cards on both sides of the pond......

I'm currently building a pc for 4k gaming. Haven't ordered the gpu yet. Given the small performance different e and potential discounts on 2080 cards, I think I'll skip the Super.
These Super cards are too expensive for what they offer, but perhaps Turing was what AMD needed to get back in the game...Nvidia is being greedy and scummy, whilst AMD builds a hell of an architecture in the labs at a lower node...….Their small 7nm cards are so fast it matches a stock 2080 when OC'd...…Yet, these are not even the cards which AMD plans to fight the 2080 and 2080ti with, they plan to do so on a 300-350mm2 die.....So it's good for the industry that this is happening, and surely we're squared up to get a fierce battle in the coming months....Looking at how lacklustre and under-representative RTX has been in Turing and the mild uplift on these Super cards, it doesn't even seem there will be much required for AMD to beat Nvidia's high end........AMD can beat a 2080ti with a 60-72 CU 5800XT and claim the high end spot with the 5900XT with a larger lead over that.......RDNA is that fast...If we gauge the performance of the 5700XT...

Goff2k

Oh good I get to save my money. I guess I wait for the 3000 series? or whatever cards they call it...

Mista

Banned
Is it worth ditching for the new AMD? My mate been telling me all about the new AMD and how it’s cheaper and better than all of this. Came to see what the real deal thinks

eNT1TY

I bit the bullet and bought a 2080ti a week after Navi and the first batch of Supers came out. Had little hopes that the 2080 super would have the same range of increased performance the 70 and 60 supers had. At that point my train of thought was that if you are willing to spend $700-800 on a 2080 super you might as well cough up another 2 or 3 hundred and get the TI, if not just save a whole lot of money and stick to the 2070super or 5700xt. Was strongly also considering the Radeon 7 even after the navi reveal for its nice productivity performance as well; such an under appreciated card.

Wait, What? You had a bad experience and refuse to go back?

When do you call the bad experience of nvidia draining your wallet and refuse to buy ANY card?
The card itself wasn't the issue, it was always the drivers - specifically CCC - that I always had issues with. I haven't used ATI/AMD since the XP days. Like I said, I just got comfortable with Nvidia but I'm not opposed to switching over to AMD. I just need to know what the absolute best card on the market is because that is what I buy to play games.

Also - is it the AMD CPU that people tend to have issues with in certain games? I keep thinking about reading that and thinking "God, I'm glad I use Intel and Nvidia.. I at least know it works."

thelastword

Banned
I bit the bullet and bought a 2080ti a week after Navi and the first batch of Supers came out. Had little hopes that the 2080 super would have the same range of increased performance the 70 and 60 supers had. At that point my train of thought was that if you are willing to spend $700-800 on a 2080 super you might as well cough up another 2 or 3 hundred and get the TI, if not just save a whole lot of money and stick to the 2070super or 5700xt. Was strongly also considering the Radeon 7 even after the navi reveal for its nice productivity performance as well; such an under appreciated card.
Definitely, but I think there are a few left in circulation and it's being cleared up quickly.......The Radeon 7 also happens to be one, if not the best card for mining too.....So it definitely has a market.....

Anybody thinking Vega is done, definitely missed a trick...AMD is not ditching GCN.....They will evolve GCN now that it's no longer gaming focused......The PRO DUO Vega's look like absolute beasts and that has it's market...….AMD will focus on evolving GCN on the productivity side and they will continue to evolve RDNA on the gaming side and they will win in both market segments....

Soltype

Is that all you want...or is it something you will buy?....If AMD does something like that.....and they will btw from all indications...Are people just asking that, so they can go buy SUPER cards at reduced prices? If AMD's high end offerings which most likely will beat Super/RTX cards.....Will people still come full circle and say AMD does not have RTX? Like some are doing now....
The industry needs competition on the top end,but companies have to earn my money.If AMD has a product compelling enough, I will buy it, but I won't just hand my money over because it's not Nvidia.

Definitely, but I think there are a few left in circulation and it's being cleared up quickly.......The Radeon 7 also happens to be one, if not the best card for mining too.....So it definitely has a market.....

Anybody thinking Vega is done, definitely missed a trick...AMD is not ditching GCN.....They will evolve GCN now that it's no longer gaming focused......The PRO DUO Vega's look like absolute beasts and that has it's market...….AMD will focus on evolving GCN on the productivity side and they will continue to evolve RDNA on the gaming side and they will win in both market segments....
So much of a market that it was discontinued like 5 months after release?

There's no market. Nobody gives a shit about Radeon 7.. and even less so now with Navi out. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Pathetic release from Nvidia. Horrifying to see some known Nvidia fan sites like TechPowerUp, who I often quote for performance summaries (as they are good), recommending this card like it's a great release.

GamersNexus had it right with their despondancy and boredom with it.

5% faster than 2080, hardly any OC headroom (5%). Lame.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
What would you have me do?, buy AMD just because?

You should always get whats best value for you personally, but yeah, I can understand that line getting rather annoying after hearing it for over half a decade.

People want AMD to spend millions on R&D and release competitive CPU's and GPU's just so they can buy their Intel/Nvidia stuff a little cheaper because 'they've always bought Intel/Nvidia'. Many people don't even consider AMD an option because 'drivers' or whatever. Like, that's not how stuff works. People need to actually buy said competitive stuff for AMD to stay in the game. Either that or don't complain you're overpaying €300 for your extra 2fps in Overwatch.

What would lead you to believe that Nvidia would release a product that would push the price down of the 2080 Ti? That's fantasyland.

Wishful thinking? I wasn't completely serious, of course.

Anyway, the 2080ti has been way overpriced for months. Maybe the 2080 super can bring some good offers there.

MSRP for the FEs here in Europe are 1259 vs. 739 euros. The performance differential just isn't there to justify the expense, especially so considering how good the 1080 ti still is (for those who have it, or are getting it used). Almost double the price for 20% more performance. Some OEMs are way better value.

The problem is nvidia has no competition in the higher end of the spectrum. The second best card is theirs. So is the third, and so on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom