• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 4000 could release in July or August

GymWolf

I don’t know about US but here in my country in EU retailers don’t seem desperate to clear stocks. You rarely find a 3080 below 800€ for the 12GB and below 750€ for the 10GB.

Definitely better than a few months ago but not the “clearing stocks!!” kind of deal you’d expect.

All of this tells me a return to normal prices with the 4000 series is unlikely. Nvidia and retailers won’t give up so easily. Hope I’m wrong.
Where the hell do you even saw a 3080 12 gb for 800 euros?

The best i can find is like 1100 euros...

Also, how many chances do we have of an actual reveal and release in august for the 4000 series??

supernova8

Banned
I don’t know about US but here in my country in EU retailers don’t seem desperate to clear stocks. You rarely find a 3080 below 800€ for the 12GB and below 750€ for the 10GB.

Definitely better than a few months ago but not the “clearing stocks!!” kind of deal you’d expect.

All of this tells me a return to normal prices with the 4000 series is unlikely. Nvidia and retailers won’t give up so easily. Hope I’m wrong.

I imagine they (retailers, AIBs, and of course Nvidia) are just trying to hold out as long as possible. That said, the old notion of "once you lower your price it's hard to raise it again" has been proven dead wrong (GPU prices have been all over the places up and down left right diagonal).

Of course Nvidia needs to impress its shareholders but it's only a matter of time before the reality sets in. Most people are no longer interested in spending upwards of $800 on a high-end GPU (especially one about to replaced).

Midn1ght

Also, how many chances do we have of an actual reveal and release in august for the 4000 series??
Best I saw today is 889€ but I’ve seen better in the last couple weeks.

https://azerty.nl/product/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3080-gaming-oc-12g-lhr-videokaart/4666078

Still far away from the deals you currently see in US.

I think they’ll have a paper launch in September if not October. I can’t see them releasing in July or August, specially when they’re currently trying to lower their ship orders from TSMC.

I’m also waiting for official words from them. If the 4080 ends up in 3080ti/3090 territory with 16/20GB of VRAM for 700€, i might try my luck for one. If not and they ask more than 800, i’ll call it a day and settle for a 3080 12GB hopefully on the cheap (500-550) for the rest of the gen.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Yep. Newegg and EVGA have all sorts of card in-stock. For instance, MSI Ventus 3080 12GB for $739 after mail-in rebate on Newegg.

3080 10GB msrp is $699. $739 for the 12GB is probably below whatever the msrp is. They also have 3080 Ti for $929, compared to $1,119 msrp.
There were only 2 cards that had an actual MSRP of 700, the FE and the low end EVGA, everything else was 30 or 60 more for the lowest end card. The ventus 10GB had an initial MSRP of 760. Regardless 2 years after launch the prices should be lower than the launch price. I am starting to worry that the 4k series will see higher prices just because so many 3k series cards are still available.

Ellery

I bought a new GPU, yesterday. Cost me $1200.

What do people think these new ones will cost?

Hard to say, but I always expect to get a better price/perf ratio per gen. Maybe the 4080 will be more expensive than the 699$ RTX 3080, but then I expect the 4080 to be % more better than more expensive over the 3080 so that at the end you still have a better price/perf ratio because you get a higher framerate. For example 30% more performance for 799$.

I don't know what you bought, but I think it is a 3080 Ti and I would be surprised if the 40 series doesn't offer something at that price range to easily outclass any 30 card.

Labadal

Hard to say, but I always expect to get a better price/perf ratio per gen. Maybe the 4080 will be more expensive than the 699$ RTX 3080, but then I expect the 4080 to be % more better than more expensive over the 3080 so that at the end you still have a better price/perf ratio because you get a higher framerate. For example 30% more performance for 799$.

I don't know what you bought, but I think it is a 3080 Ti and I would be surprised if the 40 series doesn't offer something at that price range to easily outclass any 30 card.
I bought a PowerColor Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB Red Devil Ultimate

My GPU crapped out on me a few weeks ago. Can't really be whithout a PC.

Thank you both for the info.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I bought a new GPU, yesterday. Cost me $1200.

What do people think these new ones will cost?

What GPU did you buy.
Even if it is an RTX 3090, it's still a bad idea, when the RTX 4000 are just a few months away.
Chances are you could get an RTX 4090 and get 80% better performance than an 3090.
And leaked benchs in Control with RTX chow more than double the performance.

Last edited:

Labadal

What GPU did you buy.
Even if it is an RTX 3090, it's still a bad idea, when the RTX 4000 are just a few months away.
Chances are you could get an RTX 4090 and get 80% better performance than an 3090.

Look at the above post for which one I got.

REDRZA MWS

Ue
You are kidding right? the 3090 is 40% more powerful than your 2080ti.

A 40% jump in every GPU generation is magnificent. Do not expect the jump to be bigger than 40% in the real benchmark ( keyword: real gaming benchmark) than the current 3000 series.

so in your case, you are getting an 80% increase. which is very nice.

I mean.... the PS5 is kinda a 2070s level lol.
Yes, but I’m real world on screen differences, not so much. But my 4090 will shit on the 3090, so I’m glad I waited.

REDRZA MWS

A 40% jump in every GPU generation is magnificent. Do not expect the jump to be bigger than 40% in the real benchmark ( keyword: real gaming benchmark) than the current 3000 series.

That’s the other thing, may just wait for SX Pro and PS5 pro.

Ellery

That’s the other thing, may just wait for SX Pro and PS5 pro.

Waiting always a decent idea if you can afford to or want to.

But time is also a resource and someone who buys a GPU right now and then uses it a lot will be happier than a person that waits to be an early adopter and then rarely uses it.

When the PS5 Pro comes out I could just wait as well for the PS6.

My advice is always : Buy when you need or wait when you can afford and something good is on the horizon.

MastaKiiLA

In less than a week, I'll finally join the RTX generation... with a RTX 3050 in a laptop. I don't play many games these days, but hope it's powerful enough with the i5-11320H to run The Ascent, FH5, and PS Now. I wanted a card with DLSS, so I can cheat with lower resolutions.

I would have bought something a bit more powerful, but supply chain issues have delays of like 6+ weeks to Thailand. I can't fuck with that kind of wait. The need for work is a bit more urgent.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Basically 2.x times.

3090s get around 72fps.

REDRZA MWS

Waiting always a decent idea if you can afford to or want to.

But time is also a resource and someone who buys a GPU right now and then uses it a lot will be happier than a person that waits to be an early adopter and then rarely uses it.

When the PS5 Pro comes out I could just wait as well for the PS6.

My advice is always : Buy when you need or wait when you can afford and something good is on the horizon.
Understood, but my PC is pretty beefy overall, and I never even use it. At least, with 2 GPU generations past mine, even aside from the power ad advancements, the 4 series (just like the 3 series) will have HDMI 2.1 where I can really make more use of it. (I game on a 77” LG OLED GX).

Also, I’m getting both pro versions of Sony and MS new consoles too. I’m blessed. Retired early and have a decent pension.

kiphalfton

What GPU did you buy.

[/URL]

The average Joe probably wouldn't be able to get a graphics card at launch. So add 3-6 more months on top of however long it is until 4000 series comes out, and that will be more accurate. And who's to say that it won't be an even longer wait. Then what?

On paper I would generally agree with "wait", but a person is willing to pay what a person is willing to pay. That's on them. I personally wouldn't buy anything this late in the game and I would just wait, but that's me. Everybody is different.

I game on a 77” LG OLED GX. [...] Also, I’m getting both pro versions of Sony and MS new consoles too.
yeahhh, me too (77" cx though, not gx).
also waiting to upgrade to a GPU w/ hdmi 2.1. excited for VRR, though nvidia's "fast" vsync setting feels great.
also waiting for the pro versions of the current consoles.
200.gif

also waiting for a proper audio processor w/ multiple hdmi 2.1 inputs (i use standalone amps).

yeahhh, me too (77" cx though, not gx).
also waiting to upgrade to a GPU w/ hdmi 2.1. excited for VRR, though nvidia's "fast" vsync setting feels great.
also waiting for the pro versions of the current consoles.
200.gif

also waiting for a proper audio processor w/ multiple hdmi 2.1 inputs (i use standalone amps).
I’ve been waiting for the option to but the ps5 in anything but white but a pro May come before then

supernova8

Banned
The average Joe probably wouldn't be able to get a graphics card at launch. So add 3-6 more months on top of however long it is until 4000 series comes out, and that will be more accurate. And who's to say that it won't be an even longer wait. Then what?

On paper I would generally agree with "wait", but a person is willing to pay what a person is willing to pay. That's on them. I personally wouldn't buy anything this late in the game and I would just wait, but that's me. Everybody is different.

If we have an exact repeat of what happened with Ampere then it's probably Nvidia lowering production to keep inventory tight and prices high (since supply chains are nowhere near as bad as they were at that time). Honestly I'm just glad that GPU prices are crashing. I might pick up a 2070 super or something at some point to replace my GTX 1650. More than enough for what I need especially since I'm not interested in playing crazy prices.

Last edited:
I hate to bother, but you guys are so well versed in this stuff. I haven't been following the 4xxx series architecture much, unfortunately, but I use the 3xxx for ML and CUDA in a work environment. Is there a noticeable gap up in performance in tensor processing, we are in a position where we have more money than time. I haven't come across any benchmarks yet?!

Thank you!

Last edited:

kiphalfton

If we have an exact repeat of what happened with Ampere then it's probably Nvidia lowering production to keep inventory tight and prices high (since supply chains are nowhere near as bad as they were at that time). Honestly I'm just glad that GPU prices are crashing. I might pick up a 2070 super or something at some point to replace my GTX 1650. More than enough for what I need especially since I'm not interested in playing crazy prices.

Yeah most their releases are paper launches, where technically it's out but stock is extremely light. They can go screw themselves. I'm guessing it's all for investors when they pull this BS.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member

Hopefully you get some sales soon. Newegg has the 12GB Asus ROG Strix right now for $800. I'm waiting for 4000 series at this point.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

Hopefully you get some sales soon. Newegg has the 12GB Asus ROG Strix right now for $800. I'm waiting for 4000 series at this point.
Same - I've "limped along" this far with my 2080 FE - might as well wait a while longer for the 4000 series to drop.

Worst case - I get a 3080TI/3090 at fire sale prices (assuming NVidia actually releases 4000 series with actual stock available at launch instead of the paper launch they did with the 3080).

Sybrix

I'm waiting for the 3000 cards to drop a little more then ill get my 3080.

If you want to upgrade now, like i do, then do it.

Don't wait for the 4000 cards, you wont get one day one, they'll be sold old, yeah yeah i know crypto is down blah blah blah, the cards will still sell out, you wont get a 4000 card till maybe 2-3 months after 1st release and you'll be lucky to get one then.

supernova8

Banned
I'm waiting for the 3000 cards to drop a little more then ill get my 3080.

If you want to upgrade now, like i do, then do it.

Don't wait for the 4000 cards, you wont get one day one, they'll be sold old, yeah yeah i know crypto is down blah blah blah, the cards will still sell out, you wont get a 4000 card till maybe 2-3 months after 1st release and you'll be lucky to get one then.

They'll be sold out simply because everything is online now so scalpers can effortlessly (at least compared to when we had to go to physical stores like caveman and it was one per customer heh) scoop up the entire stock and throw it on eBay because it's worth it for them if someone can, say, scoop up 3 or 4 and sell them all for a $100-$150 markup. That's a good $600ish profit for not that much work once you have the bot set up to buy everything in sight.

I suppose that's where all the "hey it's supply and demand get over it" dickheads start chiming in. They're technically correct but that doesn't make it less annoying.

Im Right I Mean It GIF by Desus & Mero

Last edited:

GymWolf

I'm waiting for a 4000 series aswell.

Black_Stride

Airplane Sweat GIF

800W....you are taking a fucking piss mate!
So the glorious revolutionary 16pin power cable is pretty much already obsolete....we gonna need two of them to power one GPU.

48GB of 1.1TB/s GDDR6X memory?
^
I read that out loud and my wallet immediately ran out the door, took me 20 minutes to catch it only to find out my credit card had committed suicide within seemingly shortly after it took out my debit card and drivers license.......not sure what the drivers license had to do with, im guessing wrong place wrong time.

winjer

Gold Member
So the glorious revolutionary 16pin power cable is pretty much already obsolete....we gonna need two of them to power one GPU.

^
I read that out loud and my wallet immediately ran out the door, took me 20 minutes to catch it only to find out my credit card had committed suicide within seemingly shortly after it took out my debit card and drivers license.......not sure what the drivers license had to do with, im guessing wrong place wrong time.

On a positive side, inflation and energy prices are going down.......... Oh wait! It's the exact opposite.
A 800W GPU at this time seems like a bad joke.

hlm666

I hate to bother, but you guys are so well versed in this stuff. I haven't been following the 4xxx series architecture much, unfortunately, but I use the 3xxx for ML and CUDA in a work environment. Is there a noticeable gap up in performance in tensor processing, we are in a position where we have more money than time. I haven't come across any benchmarks yet?!

Thank you!
It's still leaks so who knows if its true or not but if this is to be believed tensor performance should be up 70% over 3090ti on the flagship (you said you had the money so I'm assuming your looking at the halo products).

edit: beaten but will leave this here cause it's a different article anyway.

Last edited:

hlm666

90% of these leaks are always fake - there is no way in hell it's gonna be even 25% faster.

Why do yall always get sucked in..?
It's gonna pull that off in frequency increase alone even using the lower bounds of the leaked boost clocks. You think the 4080 is not gonna be more than 25% faster than a 3080? hmmm

Black_Stride

90% of these leaks are always fake - there is no way in hell it's gonna be even 25% faster.

Why do yall always get sucked in..?
Kopite leaking the RTX 3070 and 3070Ti way way before the RTX3070ti was even a thing.
He was right about the 3070ti like a year before release and he only gets more accurate the closer release gets.
if Ada is supposed to be released this year.....hes got this.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Kopite is one of the best leakers. He's a data miner, not some crackhead with "sources". These are all real cards. Sometimes they're variations that don't end up with a retail release, and sometimes the specs are adjusted, but this is all real hardware.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

^

I'm pretty sure we soon will be plugging GPUs with separate power cable to wall socket. :messenger_smiling:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I already got it. I know about future stuff, but I feel fine with my purchase. I can always sell this one, and upgrade at a later date.

Yeah of course it will still be a great card but I think we are no more than 6 months from new cards (probably less) and you would have got a considerably more powerful card for cheaper. But like you said, you can sell this and upgrade. So makes sense if you needed it now 😀

Black_Stride

Is it bad my first thought was hmmm this might make my terrible cable management better if I can just plug a second power cable in the rear of the pc.
You'd need a new case that supports two power supplies.
How bad could your cable management possibly be, ive still got the second PC I ever build and in those days there was no behind the motherboard space for cable routing and we had those built in HDD cages.....the cable management was atrocious but still okay.

I am nostalgic of top mounted powersupplies though.
I know the fractal torrent has a top mount, but id really like to see an exact reverse PC case that has the power supply, drive cages and shroud at the top.

In my books that actually works better because these days GPUs while gaming are the hottest part of the PC and having basically nothing below them and fresh air from under and front should give it amazing thermals.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

800w power draw might be worth it as it means I won't have to turn on the heater during the winter I guess.

Honestly thats beyond retarded, they need to get their shit in check lol

hlm666

You'd need a new case that supports two power supplies.
How bad could your cable management possibly be, ive still got the second PC I ever build and in those days there was no behind the motherboard space for cable routing and we had those built in HDD cages.....the cable management was atrocious but still okay.

I am nostalgic of top mounted powersupplies though.
I know the fractal torrent has a top mount, but id really like to see an exact reverse PC case that has the power supply, drive cages and shroud at the top.

In my books that actually works better because these days GPUs while gaming are the hottest part of the PC and having basically nothing below them and fresh air from under and front should give it amazing thermals.
I was imagining just plugging another power cable from the wall straight into the back of the gpu like midgen kinda said. If I had to put another psu in yeh nah im out. I didn't even put spinning rust in my current build to avoid having to use the extra power and sata cables lol. My cable management isn't bad in general but I always end up with a couple of fan or front panel cables that are just tucked in behind something as im hitting the end of the build and are like i'll do that properly later (and i never do).

I like the psu down the bottom, makes the case less top heavy when i'm dragging it out to get to the back of. Some of the old neowin cases used the top psu mount with air intake from the bottom. I always used the spare drive bays in those days to jam some of the bloody ide ribben cables into lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom