• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Jason David Frank (Green/White power ranger) reportedly dead.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
RIP he was my favorite Ranger as a kid. TBH all of these iconic TV celebrities from the 90’s passing and seeing at how many cons they’ve had to attend and CAMEO vids and shit to make ends meet in their final days makes me feel like being a tv celebrity doesn’t pay nearly as much as people think? It’s cool they meet the fans but the CON scene also seems kind of like pan handling in a sense to make up for lost income when TV residuals run out. Makes me really feel like Streaming has fucked a lot of our childhood stars out of much deserved royalties they used to get from syndication and dvd sales: sad.
Not sure how streaming has much to do with this. Doubt they had great contracts from the original run, streaming might have been a good opportunity for them to maybe renegotiate.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
That's really depressing news. I grew up on Power Rangers. I was more of a red power ranger kid because it was my favorite color growing up and the Zord was a T-Rex which to 5yr old me was the coolest shit. But the White Power Ranger was always a close second. I also heard he was a really great guy to work with and got along well with all the cast members that he was around over the years.

RIP and I hope the families involved are able to move on.

Last edited:

Fbh

Damn RIP.

Was always my favourite as a kid and seeing him come back over the years was great, always seems like a cool dude

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I think back to all those lyrics Chester sang and wonder where they came from. Did he give us everything he had? Was there nothing of it left over for him? Chester suffered from being abused as a child and fought alcohol/drug addiction. I wonder sometimes if he ever truly recovered. I know nothing of JDF except he was always there for his fans. He was an iconic figure in the entertainment industry. One of my personal favorites.

Linkin Park was the first rock (or band with rock elements and influences) that I got into. The six of those guys literally shaped my musical taste and were my soft entry into rock, Electronica, metal, and hip hop and rap. I was in the LPU for 8 years. I collected as many demos, alternate takes, and features as I could. Chester Bennington hit hard for me.

mortal

Gold Member
I didn't want to comment until it was finally confirmed.

Tragic that he took his own life. Like many others, dude was iconic in my childhood. Almost every boy wanted to be the white ranger or the green ranger, everyone wanted to be Tommy.

RIP.

Last edited:

Toons

I always hated power rangers as a kid but I know this guy meant a lot to a lot of people and he seemed cool. Sucks

Aesius

I didn't want to comment until it was finally confirmed.

Tragic that he took his own life. Like many others, dude was iconic in my childhood. Almost every boy wanted to be the white ranger or the green ranger, everyone wanted to be Tommy.

RIP.
Man, this unlocked a memory for me of playing Power Rangers out on the playground in 1st grade. The show actually aired before school so we’d all watch it and then come in and discuss it. Hilarious that we were like 6 years old having “water cooler talk” about our favorite show.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
What always stood out to me were his VERY distinct (among the rest of the cast) battle cries. The whole "Ha! Ssseee-Haaa!" stuff. I was imitating it like a jackass last night. Sometimes it feels like there's really some kind of sixth sense that humans are only barely aware of that tugs at some part of our minds when something like this happens. It's probably just that psychological effect that I forget the name of where you hear about something for the first time and suddenly it pops up everywhere. This shit has my mind going in weird tangents.

Man, this unlocked a memory for me of playing Power Rangers out on the playground in 1st grade. The show actually aired before school so we’d all watch it and then come in and discuss it. Hilarious that we were like 6 years old having “water cooler talk” about our favorite show.
I got my parents to buy me an actual flute lol. It was just a bamboo one but for a moment there I had a musical future. Although 90's water cooler talk in my school is who gets to stick 3 pencils in their fist to be Wolverine from the animated series.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
4 kids.

RIP Tommy from the original power rangers.
iPJ5z15.png

Damn... he was one of my favorite characters

Ionian

iI Was never into Power Rangers. Did try. Too cringe for me. People cringing with characters, The music with the mother ... "breathe in through the nose, exhale" WTF do you do elsewise?

Exhale your ass?

Or a saxophone, though far harder.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
My elementary school had staggered arrival/departure based on how advanced you were or whatever. I got placed into the advanced class and I immediately started bawling. My mom asked why I was sad because she thought it was a good thing. Well, Power Rangers was on at 3 and I wouldn’t get out of school until 3:30

So my dad showed me how to set up a timer on the VCR to record it every day. First thing I did when I got home from school was rewind that tape and watch my show. When the green ranger arc happened I practically ran home every day to see what happened next…

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Didn't really watch Power Rangers as I was a bit older when it came out so I have no knowledge of his work but I knew of him.
But this and Nicki Aycox (Meg from Supernatural)
on the same day is depressing and both still young.
R.I.P

Last edited:

Aesius

Do y’all remember the insane Power Rangers action figure craze around 93-94? They were impossible to find. I remember desperately wanting one but I didn’t want to stress out my parents so I told them I didn’t want one. Then a few of my buddies managed to get them and I was intensely envious.

swaffles23

RIP

i remember fighting with my friends at our school recess with who was going to be the white ranger. Everyone wanted to be Tommy

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Very sad news. I don’t like it. I watched that first Power Rangers series religiously. Dude was the best. Very very sad about this.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Power rangers fortunately is still around today, some good memories dressing up as the red ranger as a kid. RIP.
ghostbusters ranger GIF

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
wtf not meg f the big c man
Yeah l was shocked too
Keep in mind Nicki Aycox played the first Meg in Season 1/4 not to be confused with Rachel Miner who played Meg in later Seasons

Such devastating news. As someone who suffers from depression, I know it at times seems hopeless, but suicide is never the answer.
This hit me a lot harder than Kevin Conroy's passing.

Very tragic and sad. 😞

jason10mm

Gold Member
The guy every boy wanted to look like
Yso7j2X.jpg

And the girl every boy wanted to be with
np1Rros.jpg
RIP Jason and damn if that silly show didn't have a HUGE generational impact.

Top Bottom