• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] NateDrake aka Nate the Hate said that FF7R ports on Switch 2 and/or Xbox are currently not in Square Enix's plans

Ozriel

M$FT
He said "billboard ads". You can't do that if your competitor has marketing rights.

When did he say anything about ‘marketing rights’?
And that is perfectly fine and normal. But in that case, Sony wouldn't do State of Plays.

This is a flawed argument. Sony doesn’t have to have marketing rights to put games in any of their showcases. Same way Nintendo and MS put games at their events without exclusive marketing deals.

FF is a system seller for PlayStation in Japan so they’ll always jump at the chance to push new trailers.

The guy has a decade of senior level experience at Square Enix, so it’s amusing to see forum folks misinterpret his words and claim he’s ‘dumb’

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

This is a flawed argument. Sony doesn’t have to have marketing rights to put games in any of their showcases. Same way Nintendo and MS put games at their events without exclusive marketing deals.

FF is a system seller for PlayStation in Japan so they’ll always jump at the chance to push new trailers.

The guy has a decade of senior level experience at Square Enix, so it’s amusing to see forum folks misinterpret his words and claim he’s ‘dumb’

I know right, you'd think a business director is probably talking from years of first hand experience on the matter.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Considering the dire state of Square I see no problem in saying he’s dumb.

Also a third party needs incentives to release games on a platform. MS has to offer those incentives because it’s not the third party responsibility to go out there and basically try create a userbase on it that didn’t exist before, and effectively doing MS’s job for them.

Ozriel

M$FT
Considering the dire state of Square I see no problem in saying he’s dumb.

Considering the fact that the guy was never in charge of Square or Square’s overall strategy, it’s certainly not a good look for you to stick to this path.

Also a third party needs incentives to release games on a platform. MS has to offer those incentives because it’s not the third party responsibility to go out there and basically try create a userbase on it that didn’t exist before, and effectively doing MS’s job for them.

Growing the audience on a platform is the shared responsibility of both the platform holder and the third party dev. Third party takes 70%, MS takes 30%. Win-win for both parties.

It’s both their jobs. And that’s exactly what the former Square manager is saying. And exactly what the new Square CEO is pursuing. Bring the games to Xbox, audience grows, more adverts help.

Not exactly rocket science.

Thirty7ven

Banned
. Bring the games to Xbox, audience grows, more adverts help.

What’s not rocket science is that you’re clearly very young if this is how you see it. The way you put it is as if SE is about to start shipping games on Xbox for the first time ever.

No point moving this conversation any further.

Ozriel

M$FT
What’s not rocket science is that you’re clearly very young if this is how you see it. The way you put it is as if SE is about to start shipping games on Xbox for the first time ever.

The hilarious part of this shit is that it's exactly how the Square Enix CEO sees it. Also how an industry veteran with more than a decade experience in gaming sees it.

And you're here as a layman, insisting they both must be wrong 🤡

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
He ignored the important point of marketing rights. That's what I'm mentioning. This is literally my argument that he ignored the factor of marketing rights.
No. He wasn't talking about Showcases or normal State of Plays. He was talking about dedicated State of Plays, like the one Sony had for FFXVI, because they had exclusive marketing rights for that.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Trying to have eat his cake and have it like Sega did with Yakuza Xbox - PS deals at the same time.

If you’re not putting your niche game on gamepass why even bother on Xbox, would love to see what kind of numbers are they expecting.

Ozriel

M$FT
He ignored the important point of marketing rights. That's what I'm mentioning. This is literally my argument that he ignored the factor of marketing rights.

No. He wasn't talking about Showcases or normal State of Plays. He was talking about dedicated State of Plays, like the one Sony had for FFXVI, because they had exclusive marketing rights for that.

No. You’re the one putting words in his mouth. Here are his exact words, straight from his Twitter thread.

Jk7HqaP.jpg

Sony has multiple State of Plays where they showcase multiple games. Everyone of them gets a lot of views, same as dedicated SoPs for individual games. None of this requires a marketing deal or signed exclusivity.

Trying to have eat his cake and have it like Sega did with Yakuza Xbox - PS deals at the same time.

Nothing in his tweet thread talks about ‘deals’ with any of the players.

If you’re not putting your niche game on gamepass why even bother on Xbox, would love to see what kind of numbers are they expecting.

They’ve released multiple games on Xbox without going the GP route.

I’m not sure Final Fantasy can be called a niche title on any platform.

unless constrained by legacy exclusivity deals, pretty much every third party Japanese dev is bringing their games to Switch 2 as a matter of priority.
I'm not sure how your point relates to the discussion. These are two rumors at complete odds with each other. I was just pointing out the irony. My comment to saintalia was in reference to their calling the port a "tech demo" which the initial rumor called a "port."

Is there a tech demo? Maybe. But that's not what's being argued.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
No. You’re the one putting words in his mouth. Here are his exact words, straight from his Twitter thread.

Jk7HqaP.jpg

Sony has multiple State of Plays where they showcase multiple games. Everyone of them gets a lot of views, same as dedicated SoPs for individual games. None of this requires a marketing deal or signed exclusivity.

Nothing in his tweet thread talks about ‘deals’ with any of the players.

They’ve released multiple games on Xbox without going the GP route.

FFXVI - 'Fantasy'
Of course it does. If one party has exclusive marketing rights, the other party cannot show the game in their showcases. This is how it is done; we also learnt about this in the FTC case with Activision games -- how Microsoft could not show COD in their showcases because Sony had the marketing rights.

You're still missing the basic point here: if Xbox has the marketing rights, Sony won't add the game in their State of Plays. If Sony has the marketing rights, Xbox won't put billboards for the game. It really is that simple.

The only option would be to NOT have a marketing partner at all, and in that case the entire burden of marketing (and the cost) falls upon SquareEnix, with no special support from a platform holder. That just adds to the cost and defeat the entire purpose.

Ozriel

M$FT
Of course it does. If one party has exclusive marketing rights, the other party cannot show the game in their showcases. This is how it is done; we also learnt about this in the FTC case with Activision games -- how Microsoft could not show COD in their showcases because Sony had the marketing rights.

You're still missing the basic point here: if Xbox has the marketing rights, Sony won't add the game in their State of Plays. If Sony has the marketing rights, Xbox won't put billboards for the game. It really is that simple.

The only option would be to NOT have a marketing partner at all, and in that case the entire burden of marketing (and the cost) falls upon SquareEnix, with no special support from a platform holder. That just adds to the cost and defeat the entire purpose.

And that’s precisely where he’s going. No point in signing exclusive marketing deals when both Sony and Microsoft will still market the games themselves for their own benefit, alongside Square.

Why are you unwilling to accept any scenario that doesn’t directly lead to some sort of deal with Sony?

with Switch 2 on the horizon and a stated desire to move away from their current exclusivity model, I’m not sure Square will be signing extremely restrictive deals going forward. But we’ll see.

And that’s precisely where he’s going. No point in signing exclusive marketing deals when both Sony and Microsoft will still market the games themselves for their own benefit, alongside Square.

Why are you unwilling to accept any scenario that doesn’t directly lead to some sort of deal with Sony?

with Switch 2 on the horizon and a stated desire to move away from their current exclusivity model, I’m not sure Square will be signing extremely restrictive deals going forward. But we’ll see.
They made a one year deal for 7R on ps. Then they didn't bother porting to Xbox so I doubt it's all down to restrictive deals.

Switch has just about every FF and FF remaster now, even shit like World of FF and Theatrerhythm.

Cloud Strife is in Smash.

These games will 100% be released on Switch 2. Honestly this rumor just sounds like more cope from the Nintendoubters. It's already getting pathetic.

I'm fine with getting them all on PS5, but even if the games do come to Switch 2 I don't know that I'd want to play them on a handheld in the first place.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Because that just means increasing marketing costs that they would have been able to significantly minimize with a partner.

Increased marketing costs = increased total budget. That means they will now need to sell more copies to recover their investment, which may or may not be completely possible if the game releases on Xbox because there is not enough FF audience on that platform.

Even if Xbox sells a few copies, that still may not bring SE additional income. It'd just compensate for the additional marketing costs they incurred on marketing because they didn't have a partner.

It all sounds too complicated with extra steps and extra risky without much reward, which could affect SE's profitability -- the very problem the former Director was trying to address.

Ozriel

M$FT
Because that just means increasing marketing costs that they would have been able to significantly minimize with a partner.

Increased marketing costs = increased total budget. That means they will now need to sell more copies to recover their investment, which may or may not be completely possible if the game releases on Xbox because there is not enough FF audience on that platform.

Even if Xbox sells a few copies, that still may not bring SE additional income. It'd just compensate for the additional marketing costs they incurred on marketing because they didn't have a partner.

It all sounds too complicated with extra steps and extra risky without much reward, which could affect SE's profitability -- the very problem the former Director was trying to address.

Again, you don’t get it. If they had enough audience on Xbox to release Stranger of Paradise, they certainly have enough audience to release a mainline AAA game. 20% of FFXV’s launch sales in the UK were on Xbox One, and it also sold quite decently in the U.S. December 2016 NPD had FFXV as the third best selling game on Xbox, just behind COD and Battlefield 1.

But I digress.

The folks responsible for making these decisions and who have the hard data on marketing cost and projected Xbox sales have decided it’s worth it. You with no data are arguing with that decision and calling it ‘dumb’. That’s kinda ridiculous.
Not to mention you’re completely wrong when you pin the entire cost of marketing on Xbox. They’ll be marketing a multiplatform game for Xbox, PlayStation, Switch 2 and PC (Day one), alongside marketing from platform holders. So not only will Sony still market the titles to drive console sales, but you’d get Xbox marketing, Steam placements and a spot at Nintendo Directs. That’s how you expand your audience.

They made a one year deal for 7R on ps. Then they didn't bother porting to Xbox so I doubt it's all down to restrictive deals.

None of us know enough about the deal made with Sony to conclusively say it’s about them ‘not bothering’ to put it on Xbox. It’s very possible Sony’s been extending the exclusivity period, especially when they released a definitive next gen version a year later.

Edit: Lmao demigod demigod

Last edited:

SaintALia

The FF7r rumor wasn't put forward as a tech demo but rather a port that "took no time at all."
Mixed it up with the tech demo VGC rumour. Apologies for that.

Either way, it being up and running on a Switch 2 doesn't mean it'll get released on Switch 2 in the near future, or even ever. I don't recall the person giving details on how far that port is either, unless I missed it. SE could have gotten it running on Switch 2 to test the hardware possibility of a port, but that doesn't mean we'll actually see it.

Last edited:
FF7R is a PS5 exclusive until May 29, 2024. Square are contractually obligated not to even discuss other versions until then even if they are in development.

Top Bottom