• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: new motorstorm in development?

yurinka

I'd say it's false because they recently removed the Twisted Metal game and hired its game director (+ who knows if more people) to move it to Firesprite, who has a lot of former Motorstorm, Driveclub, Sony Liverpool and Bizarre Creations devs.

If Sony would want to make a new Motorstorm they would give it to Firesprite. I'd more than welcome new Motorstorm and Wipeout games specially if made by Firesprite but Sony stopped making Motorstorm, Driveclub or Wipeout because outside a few IPs (which aren't these ones) they don't sell anymore.

Imo they should do a gran turismo Horizon type game. I don't see a motorstorm moving big numbers

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I would love a new one, but I have no idea what kind of competence Lucid would have to make it.

Never shouldve sold Evo Studios. Especially after it sold 2 million copies of Driveclub in just 8 months. It couldve been their forza Horizon.

After playing the Matrix demo, I am convinced they couldve matched the E3 2005 CG trailer.

Isn't 2 million in 8 months pretty bad compared to other Sony exclusives? Maybe not for an arcade racer.

sendit

People in here acting like Evolution is the only studio that can work on Motorstorm. While Driveclub was nice to look at during inclement weather, it was a messy launch. And their latest game was horrible.

SkylineRKR

Didn't they go to shit after Motorstorm series?

Horrible launch of Driveclub then that mediocre OnRush game?

I think Motorstorm 2 and 3 already didn't meet sales projections. Driveclub failed as well. OnRush, if Evo would release this as a Sony funded PS4 game they might've dodged a bullet.

I love Driveclub but Evolution weren't really sustainable I think. They shtick is arcade racing and its a genre that has a hard time for over a decade now.

yurinka

If true why the fuck did they sell evolution
Never shouldve sold Evo Studios.
They didn't sell it, they shutted it down due to poor sales of Motorstorm series and Driveclub.

But your friends Jimbo and Hulst bought Firesprite, who has a ton of the defunct Sony Liverpool, Evolution and Bizarre Creations including most key staff from all Motorstorm games and Driveclub. Plus a ton of people more who worked in top games of many kinds.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I would love a new one, but I have no idea what kind of competence Lucid would have to make it.

Isn't 2 million in 8 months pretty bad compared to other Sony exclusives? Maybe not for an arcade racer.
Compared to other PS4 exclusives at the time, it was pretty good. KZ2 sold 2.1 million in 3 months. Infamous and Bloodborne did 1 million in 1 month. And we never got anymore sales figures for those games. DC did 2 million sandwiched between Infamous and Bloodborne.

This was also a huge upgrade from their Motorstorm sales which never really hit a million after the first game sold 2.5 million.

Gamerguy84

This game was so good. I remember mashing the boost button trying to make it over the finish line without blowing up.

Always thought that they should to Gran Turismo Arcade or GT Arcade or Gran Turismo Street or GT Street

Use all of the existing assets, shift it to street/mountain racing, add in a touge mode, maybe ease up on the car mechanics and handling, and remove cars where the manufacturers won't support it. Easy peasy.

I would be onboard for another motorstorm game.

Y4K7PG4.gif

Beechos

Sometimes they all dont have to be platinum/diamond/emerald/saphhire sellers. Its good to have a diverse lineup of games in your portfolio to attract people. You know kinda like retail stores that sell things at a loss/no profit to attract customers hoping theyll buy other things.

Sometimes they all dont have to be platinum/diamond/emerald/saphhire sellers. Its good to have a diverse lineup of games in your portfolio to attract people. You know kinda like retail stores that sell things at a loss/no profit to attract customers hoping theyll buy other things.
Games are expensive to develop, especially if you consider opportunity cost.

xrnzaaas

Imo they should do a gran turismo Horizon type game. I don't see a motorstorm moving big numbers
They should've done it last gen and asked Evo Studios to help PD out (or even take the lead). I mean you could see how popular Forza Horizon was becoming and with a triple A budget and talent you could easily challenge them with a super recognizable brand like Gran Turismoi.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If true why the fuck did they sell evolution

Such a stupid move
Assuming it's true, Sony has gone SP narrative for 10 years (aside from GT online and baseball). But with what people have posted about studios doing MP games and if this Motorstorm rumor is true, looks like they want to get back into trying MP again. for mid PS5 gaming and into PS6.

The PS3 era was tons of MP games, but some reason the second KZ: Shadowfall launched, all MPs except GT and baseball seemed canned.

They just needed to focus a bit more back then and not shotgun a million shooters at once hoping one sticks. That probably burned them out and made them give up MP.

bitbydeath

They released 4 Motorstorm games (there was a portable one but was made by Big Big and Virtuos) and Driveclub. I loved them all, but which one had good sales?
The first two Motorstorms sold well into the millions. The third one released when Japan had the massive earthquake and tsunami which a game filled with that sort of content was frowned upon and immediately pulled from shelves all over the world. DriveClub rushed to make launch.

Last edited:

skit_data

Highly doubt it, if they were to make a Motorstorm reboot they wouldn’t have put the director of Motorstorm and Driveclub to direct the Twisted Metal reboot.
If those reports are to believed, that is.

ZywyPL

Banned
Say what you like but the 1st Motorstorm was the best, that dirty setting and atmosphere was nowhere to be found in Pacific Rift and Apocalypse, if they could just reboot the series with the same setting and with that infamous E3 2005 trailer's level of visual, man, that would be something.

stranno

They should recreate the infamous E3 2005 trailer with curren gen graphics for the new game trailer. I found it fun when they did the same in Killzone 2.

I would like to see an open world game as well. Basically a new Fuel.

Last edited:

SilentUser

Even though I would love a new MotorStorm, I doubt a new one is coming, specially from Lucid. Seems like another of those useless Twitter insider.

Anyway, a new MotorStorm featuring tracks from 1, Pacific Rift, Apocalypse (drop the scenarios shenanigans) and Arctic Edge would be ace.

Top Bottom