• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: new motorstorm in development?

Motorstorm reboot was discussed at Sony. The company wants an arcade racing game associated with PlayStation brand in counterweight to Gran Turismo series. Recent Twisted Metal developer switch could indicate that the project might be given to Lucid Games.

Sounds like he's just reaching.

If it's not the same people making it I'm not getting excited until I actually see something that looks good. I realize some of the people at Lucid came from Bizarre and it's grown a lot since it started but they haven't released anything noteworthy. A bunch of ports, Switchblade (which was shit) and Destruction All-Stars isn't getting me exactly fired up for their next game at this point.

yurinka

The first two Motorstorms sold well into the millions.
Source?

The third one released when Japan had the massive earthquake and tsunami which a game filled with that sort of content was frowned upon and immediately pulled from shelves all over the world. DriveClub rushed to make launch.
Yes, they were very unlucky with Motorstorm Apocalypse. And yes, it's a shame they didn't have more time to include the content and fixes they added to Driveclub in the next months/years after launch.

If they want a new arcade racer, maybe they shouldn't have dropped two of the best arcade racing devs in the industry.
Hermen Hulst and Jim Ryan are the ones who 'resurrected' SCEE Liverpool Studio+Evolution Studios (+Bizarre Creations) by supporting, helping to grow and acquiring Firesprite.

The ones who shut down the studios and series were previous bosses.

Last edited:

Banned
Embarrassing if true. Should have never sacked off the development studio. One of the reasons to own a PS3.

exactly, especially Pacific Rift is in my top 3 racing games of all time...

but I mean, Drive Club was a disaster, which was most likely an issue with management since they clearly where overwhelmed with the game and the timeframe they got to develop it

It's time to admit it fellas, Motorstorm never was that good of a game. Let it die please.

5UiTbWP.png

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
Yeah, I was curious and looked it up, and was really surprised how average this looks today. Other than maybe some of the smoke and dust effects, this looks like it could’ve been achieved on PS4:

It's crazy to think that's doable now, it would look even better, come to think of it.

I like Onrush 🤨
Onrush is fun. Good graphics at 60fps on ps4 pro/ps5. Art is pretty garish but the technical aspects are rock solid. I Nearly have the platinum trophy.

My gripe with it are the always online unlocks which is disturbing trend in racing games for some reason. Motorstorm apocalypse had that too.

Definitely got my money’s worth as I bought it for like 12 bucks.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Remembering that it's been over 15 years when i played it first time on my PS3
now-i-feel-old-ed-quinn.gif

yurinka

Over 6 million which includes Apoc but obviously that one wouldn’t have been very high due to the situation it endured.

Cool, thanks. Not Gran Turismo numbers, but I assume that for a launch new IP and its sequel is ok and could be ok too for a PSVR compatible (not VR exclusive) AA game.

It's crazy to think that's doable now, it would look even better, come to think of it.
Yes, it could be done now in PS4. And in PS5 would look better, even in PSVR2 where these camera movements could be done with the head.

Obviously for gameplay reasons they should tone down camera shake and the amount of dirt splashed on the camera and windshield. But yes, Motorstorm games were pure adrenaline. On VR they would be so fucking awesome.

If it's not the same people making it I'm not getting excited until I actually see something that looks good. I realize some of the people at Lucid came from Bizarre and it's grown a lot since it started but they haven't released anything noteworthy. A bunch of ports, Switchblade (which was shit) and Destruction All-Stars isn't getting me exactly fired up for their next game at this point.
The biggest chunk of Sony Liverpool, Evolution and Bizarre Creations are at Firesprite, which is 10-15 minutes away from Lucid. I assume Firesprite will end absorbing Lucid as did with Fabrik, another small studio that had people from these defunct teams.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The only playstation exclusive series I care about is coming back? Hope its good and not some zombie IP cash grab

unclbenn

man, i had such a good time with motorstorm: apocalypse. if they do decide to reboot the game i hope they follow the design philosophy of that game.

EDMIX

beetlejuice.jpg

lol when you hear Sony is looking to make Motorstorm reboot, realize Code Masters was for sale, but EA bought them.....s...s..soo its EA they need to get that team to make this work? =)

Lucid Games are hiring for an open world game that mentions character placement. I don’t think it’s MotorStorm.

^ Good find. I think the person who is stating the rumor is more so guessing about that (which i fucking hate btw).

I think its fair to state a rumor, but they need to leave the rest of that shit out of it. Be like "rumor Sony looking to make a Horror game, Capcom DID say day waz looking for hiring fo a horror game doe" lol its tries to force this idea that they MUST be linked or something. I think its best to just state the rumor and anything else should be ignored to show any type of professionalism. It starts to sound like the whole thing is a guess once they start adding in other stuff that isn't in the rumor they are stating.
Say what you like but the 1st Motorstorm was the best, that dirty setting and atmosphere was nowhere to be found in Pacific Rift and Apocalypse, if they could just reboot the series with the same setting and with that infamous E3 2005 trailer's level of visual, man, that would be something.

Damn that was a good ass game lol

That would be some great variety for Sony's racers they have out.

bender

What time is it?
No more open world racers, please.

Considering all the racing studios that Sony has shut down, I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry.

I really am a massive fan of the four main MotorStorm games and also Driveclub (I know that Arctic Ridge was from Bigbig) really were some of the best arcade racers of the generation for me.
To be honest though, Driveclub was an absolute mess when it launched and for far too long after launch in relation to anything to do with the online side of things which is pretty stupid when the raison d'être from Evolution was the club, the community side of the game but at no point did they ever manage to achieve anything with that.
I can imagine that it was incredibly expensive mess for Sony and although the first game actually win awards for sales numbers and the second did pretty well buy the time they got to Apocalypse it seems that in terms of money things were on the decline for the series which is a shame, I would imagine that drop off in sales combined with the mess they made of Driveclub was really signalling that they were reaching the end of the line.
Even with that though, I still think the games were fantastic with Pacific Rift getting the balance of racing and combat just right, I still really enjoyed Apocalypse but it felt far less like it was about racing than any of the others did and I think in some ways it foretold the games that they would produce post Sony. After all, their next release was Onrush which was a racing game that somehow managed to not have any racing at all in it. Its probably worth remembering that after Onrush Codemasters got rid of many of the Codemasters EVO division and the remaining people were then used as support staff for other Codemasters teams.
I know that people seem to question why Sony would disband Evolution and then hire them all back again but as expected that is really oversimplifying things.
I would very much like to see another first party arcade style racer because I know they're not as fashionable as they were in the past and those types of games are far too rare for my liking these days. Will it be MotorStorm? No idea and as much as I do love the games it may just be better to try something new in that area, I would be very happy if the four better MotorStorm games that I enjoyed and Driveclub received some sort of remastered collection.

EDMIX

I know that people seem to question why Sony would disband Evolution and then hire them all back again but as expected that is really oversimplifying things.

Same.

I wonder if maybe it makes more sense for a contract by contract basis as in, they control their own fucking shit or something and manage their own money instead of Sony (I don't know how that shit works when the own a team vs contract lol) who knows.

I feel a lot of this shows that what ever issue Sony had with that whole thing was more so Evolution vs Driveclub or Motorstorm as an IP..

Will it be MotorStorm? No idea and as much as I do love the games it may just be better to try something new in that area, I would be very happy if the four better MotorStorm games that I enjoyed and Driveclub received some sort of remastered collection.

I'd be shocked if its not, its an IP worth bringing back.

kuncol02

Banned
Over 6 million which includes Apoc but obviously that one wouldn’t have been very high due to the situation it endured.

That's heavily bundled series consisting of 6 (5 without ports) games. If that's how little it sold then no surprise that Sony killed it.
That series was burned out even before Motorstorm Apocalypse. To be fair same can be said about whole genre of arcade racing games.

EDMIX

That's heavily bundled series consisting of 6 (5 without ports) games. If that's how little it sold then no surprise that Sony killed it.
That series was burned out even before Motorstorm Apocalypse. To be fair same can be said about whole genre of arcade racing games.

When someone out here spiting fucking facts but you don't want to hear them cause fanfiction Motorstorm love

angry-black.gif

bitbydeath

They made that many cause the first two sold well but obviously the uptake wasn’t there for the handheld variants.

Robb

Gold Member
That’d be pretty cool, I remember being super impressed by Motorstorm on the PS3 back in the day.

Shut0wen

Embarrassing if true. Should have never sacked off the development studio. One of the reasons to own a PS3.
I loved motorstorm but the 3rd game was absolutely shit and they went total backwards with it, i welcome the return but the series wasnt that good to own a console haha

Whitecrow

Banned
evolution did that to themselves, go watch the announcement trailer and see if that is what you got. i also agree they shouldn't be closed down but they did that to themselves
False. Partially. Lastest motorstorm launch was delayed due to the Japan Earthquake if I recall correctly, which obviously affected sales.

Then the Driveclub network enginneer killed the studio's repitation by himself and Evo couldnt handle both shitstorms and got dismantled.

Anyways, Motorstotm games have nothing to do with the situation, they were amazing games.

SLB1904

Banned
False. Partially. Lastest motorstorm launch was delayed due to the Japan Earthquake if I recall correctly, which obviously affected sales.

Then the Driveclub network enginneer killed the studio's repitation by himself and Evo couldnt handle both shitstorms and got dismantled.

Anyways, Motorstotm games have nothing to do with the situation, they were amazing games.
im talking about specifically of driveclub.. not motorstorm, can you imagine Motorstorm with the ps5 power, good lord

As the number 1 Motorstorm Pacific Rim fan in the world, what did you do to me OP ? I'll burn you if false.
By the way : Sony did a terrible mistake with evolution studio. Wrong judgement. Oh and I don't like Driveclub.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

This company.

Evolution Studios could have done this or even like a remaster collection. They had Driveclub amazing at the end and could have improved with a sequel, wasn’t even allowed to do a Pro patch.

Sony needs to just rip off the Forza model and make an arcade game with shared Gran Turismo assets to save time and money.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I loved the first 2.
But not interested unless they bring some new gameplay elements to the mix. Like a Forza Horizon open world ontop of tracks and classic gameplay etc
I wanna chill when I play driving games too lol

Kokoloko85

This company.

Evolution Studios could have done this or even like a remaster collection. They had Driveclub amazing at the end and could have improved with a sequel, wasn’t even allowed to do a Pro patch.

Sony needs to just rip off the Forza model and make an arcade game with shared Gran Turismo assets to save time and money.
Instead of giving us a GTsport and GT7. They could of done a GT7 and an open world GT ala Forza Horizon set in Japan. Street races, cities to explore but also lots of landscape and open world. Yes share the assets for sure

damiank

Always thought that they should to Gran Turismo Arcade or GT Arcade or Gran Turismo Street or GT Street

Use all of the existing assets, shift it to street/mountain racing, add in a touge mode, maybe ease up on the car mechanics and handling, and remove cars where the manufacturers won't support it. Easy peasy.
I'm simple guy. Gran Turismo Festival sounds better.

sinnergy

Would be splendid , maybe I’ll get a PS5 for this , but please stay close to the first .. it was perfect , the sequels not so much ..

Top Bottom