• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Next-Gen Xbox console may feature an internal physics engine

Kumomeme

harry potter magic GIF

Allandor

Nvidia physx lives on! I hope its true, physics were such a disappointment this gen.
Well Nvidia never really used physx. It was just used for some visual effects. Really missing a good physic system. Even half live 2 and Crysis were much better at this than most current titles.

Drew1440

Well Nvidia never really used physx. It was just used for some visual effects. Really missing a good physic system. Even half live 2 and Crysis were much better at this than most current titles.
They were made mostly redundant when GPGPU came on the scene with the GCN cores. I wonder if Microsoft were looking to incorporate physics as part of DirectX 12.

Physics have been absent almost for this entire gen. Depressingly so.

Time to get proper world simulation ala Farcry2 ++
Right, like somehow PS3 and 360 pushed physics technology. Being a PS3 player it was specifically Havoc. Which I'm not sure still gets used at all?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I was randomly thinking about how there was once physics hardware for PC then it all got pushed off to the GPU.

This could be cool if true give us specialized accelerators & leave the GPU for graphics.

Edit: damnit old thread bump lol

Should have know it was an old thread since there's no long O onQ123 post and the topic is still open :p

Wtf? How’d so many people in this thread get banned? They dare to mention PhysX in civilised conversation?

Last edited:
microsoft
69 trillion dollars
hundreds of thousands of employees
tons of existing business partners
made directX and other game tech
can basically build whatever they want

goes to make console
stacks basically off-the-shelf hardware in a tower with a fan on top
no custom middleware or industry leading dev tools
tries to design a dashboard and fails
calls it a day

ta-da

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I love how these necrobumpers stop participating beyond the initial necrobump.

Almost like they know what they do is wrong, but they do it anyway.

GIF by Giphy QA

Top Bottom