• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Playstation 6 - Mark Cerny is back as PS6 Development Starts

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

According to the latest rumours, Mark Cerny is BACK as lead as Playstation 6 development has BEGUN. This comes from a recent leak, but we examine what our sources have to say about the PS6 development, Mark Cerny, and any other info we have on the Playstation 6 next gen console. But the real question is, would Sony already be working on the hardware and architecture for the PS6 console? We also examine Mark Cerny's past accomplishments at Sony, and their development cycle for the PS4, PS4 Pro and PS5 to discover if it makes sense for the PS6 development cycle to be under way. But if it is, just what kind of improvements can we expect to not only gaming performance, but key technologies such as ray tracing? We also have updates on the PS6 Pro and the Xbox Series X Pro... or Xbox Series X 2 or whatever you want to call the Xbox Series mid gen upgrade.

Take it with a spoonful of salt

season 3 accident GIF

Go_Ly_Dow

Bump it up to a FIVE HUNDRED AND NINTENY NINE US DOLLARS price tag, natural evolution of PS5 architechture so BC down to PS4/PS5 is smooth and cram in as much power as you can within that price point whilst selling it for just a marginal loss so it doesn't destroy Playstation like the PS3 nearly did.

Simples.

Last edited:

Xdrive05

PS5 (and Series) aimed for solving the CPU bottleneck and going all in on SSD. Both of those features were clearly the weakest links of the previous gen, so that makes sense.

Now that we have well rounded consoles, what in the world could the next gen have to improve on, other than the usual "bigger numbers across the board"? Because if that's the case, why not just have a PS5 Pro and keep this train rolling?

Minsc

Gold Member
I hope there is no PRO this time around and we just jump to 6 with full ps4 and ps5 BC and physical drive.
But hope it's no sooner than in 4-5 years.

You can't be too happy about the rumored PS5 revision with the drive becoming optional then.

I don't see there much difference between the PS5 Pro and PS6, either version would be faster than the PS5, probably both are basically the same machine, just a PS6 would make a hard split in support for PS6 games, but let's be honest, look at the number of PS5 only games this far in, and figure a PS6 is likely to have even less support. We'll be seeing PS5 multi generation games for a long, long, long time.

Last edited:
Glad to hear Cerny is on board, his very good at what he does. (Assuming this is true) Also, this is not really surprising. Normally in a regular development cycle research and development starts usually almost immediately or a year or so after a console has launched. PS3 launched in 2006, 2008 is when development started for the PS4.

Here is quote from Mark Cerny himself "According to lead architect Mark Cerny, the development of Sony's fourth video game console began as early as 2008. Less than two years earlier, the PlayStation 3 had been launched after months of delays due to issues with production."

PS5 development also started in the year 2015 which is also roughly less than 2 years after PS4 has launched.

Rumors for the PS6 already have been circling for over a year now, this is not surprising at all. Sure is exciting of course, but we have yet too taste the real current-gen yet. Usually, end of the gen cycle is when you really start getting jaw dropping titles. This happened with TLOU 2 and GoT in the year 2020, same year when PS5 launched. PS4 was launching in the Fall when TLOU (the swan song) launched for the PS3 in the summer of 2013 and blew everyones head's off. All of this sounds according to schedule.

You won't see the PS6 though until 2027/2028 roughly at the earliest I believe mostly due to COVID fucking over the entire industry.

Last edited:
Considering the first party titles are all being pushed to Steam, who cares?
Real gamers do. If you are too concerned about great games coming to other platforms so others can enjoy them, then I believe that you don't really care about the game themselves and gaming in general. Either that, or you are simply carrying a disease known as fanboyism.

Why should not other people be able to play same games as you? They've spent whatever amount of X money to play on their gaming PC, they deserve to play it just as anyone else is.

Also, consoles are the lowest common denominator, so its important that these consoles are as powerful as possible, because it raises the bar on what a game can achieve with the technology. Developers always aim to make the games as good looking as possible and performance as good as possible. Look at TLOU 2, that game still blows everything out of the water in terms of visuals and its running on ancient hardware from 2013.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

I hope there is no PRO this time around and we just jump to 6 with full ps4 and ps5 BC and physical drive.
But hope it's no sooner than in 4-5 years.
Why would anyone specifically not want a Pro?

Either way, TCL talked expecting about mid-gen upgrades in 2024, and that guy from the GTAForums said that dev kits were in the hands of some studios. Nothing 100% concrete, but I'm thinking it's going to happen.

sachos

Glad Cerny is back (if this is true), i mean i would expect him to be back anyway. Make it BC with PS4 and PS5, immensely improve on RT and AI upscaling and we are set. Could also improve WiFi chips even further to get wireless streaming to PSVR3.

Ozzie666

He designed the Vita too. But I always wonder if the storage media was someone else's call. The man is amazing. He gets it and does a wonderful job balancing desire with cost.

The only newsworthy thing here is that Cerny is still working with Sony, there was no news to say he wasn't. The change back to X86, makes this a much easier process, if they indeed decide to stay with it. Skip pro, bring out a slim. Shorter generation would be nice.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why would anyone specifically not want a Pro?

Either way, TCL talked expecting about mid-gen upgrades in 2024, and that guy from the GTAForums said that dev kits were in the hands of some studios. Nothing 100% concrete, but I'm thinking it's going to happen.
market segregation. Another way to squeeze money out of customers while games don't even use ps5 yet really.
We've not even gotten past tlou2 graphics yet really and that is a ps4 game.
I would just feel cheated to be handed ps5 pro now, while I got ps5 on release and anything barely used it.

That said - I don't think it is feasible anyway. We have real cpu, ssd and IO this time around. They would just need to upgrade the gpu... but with keeping 200watt, it would be difficult. Not in current market.
I am jsut saying - the tech in modern consoles is great. It is not lacking behind significantly like ps4 and xbox one did. They were dead on arrival with mobile cpus and hdd.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that gaming consoles may start going the way of Phone upgrades, but instead of a yearly cycle refresh, it's more like 4-5 years (or however long it takes for a new process shrink to occur going forward).

So instead of a PS5 Pro, we may just get a PS6. Then 4-5 years later we get a PS7. And all games that come out will essentially support PS5 to PS7 with various degrees of upgrades. Eventually, support for certain consoles will drop off (perhaps only keeping 3 active hardware gens at any given time). Think of it like the Apple iPhone way of approaching it.

This may sound like "cross gen hell" to folks like SlimySnake SlimySnake but I honestly think we've sort of maxed out the big changes in hardware and therefore it must become more incremental and more broadly supported.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
market segregation. Another way to squeeze money out of customers while games don't even use ps5 yet really.
We've not even gotten past tlou2 graphics yet really and that is a ps4 game.
I would just feel cheated to be handed ps5 pro now, while I got ps5 on release and anything barely used it.

That said - I don't think it is feasible anyway. We have real cpu, ssd and IO this time around. They would just need to upgrade the gpu... but with keeping 200watt, it would be difficult. Not in current market.
I am jsut saying - the tech in modern consoles is great. It is not lacking behind significantly like ps4 and xbox one did. They were dead on arrival with mobile cpus and hdd.
Cross gen games ensures market segregation anyways so why not give people a more powerful pro?

I for one would buy one tomorrow

Give I Want One GIF

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Cross gen games ensures market segregation anyways so why not give people a more powerful pro?

I for one would buy one tomorrow

Give I Want One GIF
Pro is just an excuse not to optimize for base system.
Devs don't even have time to train and optimize for base system because it takes 5-8 years to make a game. They target ps5 and maybe PRO or 6 will come out before they finish.
In the past, they could release 3-5 games on ps3 and learn how to optimize with each game. Compare uc3 to uc1.
edit: we can do 4k60 now. We always could. It's not a matter of "only pro will make it possible". With this mindset, the chase never ends

Last edited:
Top Bottom