• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony Looking To Purchase Metal Gear/Silent Hill/Castlevania Properties From Konami, Remakes To Follow Suit

I doubt Sony could purchase those IP but I could believe Konami giving Sony permission/exclusivity to make some exclusive titles/remakes. And it could be a good thing, maybe the only way to resurrect some old glorious franchise.

GreatnessRD

I don't care how much it takes to get done, just get it done! (And I don't care because it ain't my money!)

But the world deserves a Metal Gear Solid 6: The Story of The Boss :messenger_savoring:

Would it not be quite reasonable for Konami to selloff these IPs, on the grounds there's a clause in the agreement that allows Konami to continue making pachinko machines with these IPs in perpetuity with little to no royalties? As long as Konami can do that, there's little reason for them not to sell, unless Sony really lowballs them.

The Shepard

I could see some kind of deal where Sony make an exclusive sillent Hill and metal gear for ps5, but can't see Konami selling there ips to them. It would be like marvel pimping out spiderman to Sony situation rather then a full ownership deal.

Azurro

Banned
Don't worry, I know. I'm a Sony shareholder. As I said, they are doing much better financially in recent years, but they're not anywhere on the level of a Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Google, etc. All those are near trillion dollar companies. Sony's market cap is in the $60B range, far lower than Microsoft. Sony has money, but they don't have an unlimited acquisition budget. That's my point. The IPs of Metal Gear, Silent Hill, and Castlevania would almost certainly be valued at over $1B. That's pocket change for someone like Microsoft, which has $500B just sitting in cash, but for Sony that's a much more significant investment.

Lol, there's absolutely no way those three franchises are worth a 1/4 of Star Wars. Minecraft was as expensive as it was because it's a phenomenon that still lives on to this day. Out of those 3 Konami franchises, the only one that is still worth a significant amount is Metal Gear. Lifetime sales don't mean much when yearly sales are minimal.

No.

Sony would do to MGS what Bethesda has done to Fallout and Prey.

Then theres the revisionist censoring in the remakes, specifically 5 where Quite would be edited to look like a Sheikhs wife whos on trial for learning to read.

You can make a point without stretching truth and dropping concern hyperbole...

What hyperbole?

Guess which one is the ps4 version at release, Genius.

DMCV-Censor-ds1-1340x1340.png

This is ridiculous 😆

What is. Censoring video games made and intended for adult audiences?

Yes, I agree. Lens flares are the barrier that will prevent a us from sinning.

Last edited:
Yeah totally Sony forced the hand of the third party game... *tin foil*

Your fav source has the dip you seek, couch potato:

Edit: For the record, there is no such thing as "slightly censored". Something is either censored or it is not.

Last edited:
No Bomberman Purchase from Nintendo then?

Konami also have their Shmup Franchises like Gradius, Axelay, Salamander, Life Force, Space Mambow, Super Star Soldier. What about those franchises?

If Konami is going to sell all of their properties, it should be a free for all as I fear Bomberman, Bonk and the like will be lost to time if Sony don't care for those.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Funny, When MS money hats they are the evil but it seems is fine if Sony does it.
I don't think it's moneyhatting when the IP's are dead and dorment and buying them or licensing them revives them and in returns them to the original developers as TeamSilent are now at Sony Japan and Kojima Pro seems to be a Playstation 2nd Party team for now.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Please some 3rd party get them, not some 1st party publisher, just because if it ends up being with Sony, it turns out to a stupid 3rd person cinematic action...anything...and if it ends up being with MS, well that would be grim. And Nintendo, we don't needed to be cartoony without voice over and infants friendly. Capcom acquirement would be godlike and perfect fit though.

Please some 3rd party get them, not some 1st party publisher, just because if it ends up being with Sony, it turns out to a stupid 3rd person cinematic action...anything...and if it ends up being with MS, well that would be grim. And Nintendo, we don't needed to be cartoony without voice over and infants friendly. Capcom acquirement would be godlike and perfect fit though.

I think the next best thing besides solely Kojima owned would have to be the team behind Splinter Cell Chaos Theory ( Clint Hocking, look him up ), the first 2 Thief games or DE Human Revolution teams..

Other than that, not interested.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Silent_Hill_Homecoming.jpg
Castlevania_Lords_of_Shadow.png

... I'd rather Sony get them. They'll give them a good budget for them at least.

M1chl

Silent_Hill_Homecoming.jpg
Castlevania_Lords_of_Shadow.png

... I'd rather Sony get them. They'll give them a good budget for them at least.
LoS I was good though. And meh aside from story Homecoming was also decent, I played SH1, 2, 3 while I still do not understand enough English and I thought to myself, what a shitty games. But fair enough, I do undestand now.
Though Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is by far the best one in the franchise

Azurro

Banned

Capcom doesn't have the manpower to make games in all of these new franchises, they barely have enough with the IPs they do own and even then some of them languish in limbo for years since there's no one to work on them.

Sony would be the best option. Big budget, creative freedom, technical expertise. They'd just be exclusive to PS, to which I'd say, suck it up and get a PS5. ;)

M1chl

Capcom doesn't have the manpower to make games in all of these new franchises, they barely have enough with the IPs they do own and even then some of them languish in limbo for years since there's no one to work on them.

Sony would be the best option. Big budget, creative freedom, technical expertise. They'd just be exclusive to PS, to which I'd say, suck it up and get a PS5. ;)
Well I am getting that anyway, that's not my concern : )

Sure if they have money to acquire their own IP for original creators, then I am fine with it.

For sure. Though you and i know what the reality is.

Shenmue 3 got made almost two decades late... people will pay for MP, but we cant have a proper sequel to one of the IPs that defined 2 generations of consoles and that which are currently only playable on the competitions consoles in BC format.

This timeline is retarded.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I like how the narrative is Sony is rescuing “dead IPs”. Maybe Sony should buy Nintendo and Sega so we dont lose Metroid, Shinobi, Fzero, Golden Axe to “oblivion”. Hol’ up. I’m going to go start a 4chan rumor.

Aion002

Well you have terrible ideas. I want Castlevania in the right hands, not EA making a sequel with holy water lootboxes or Naughty Dog making Simon Belmont an ugly lesbian.
Better than:

HCta0C.gif

Anything is better than a freaking pachinko... unless you're a old dude in Japan who likes pachinkos.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Why purchase all these series when you can simply make new games that would be basically the same thing, but with a different name ?

Because Sony tried this with Soul Sacrifice as a Monster Hunter substitute for the Vita and failed miserably?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Mod Note - Some new user literally tried to claim the exact same thing but it was Microsoft instead of Sony. There was no source so we deleted that shit with the quickness.

Not saying this isnt true but I am wary now.

Personally I dont care who buys that but I wish someone would and give us new games. I would also love to get those Castlevania GBA/DS games on PC, I still never played Order of Ecclesea.

Last edited:

Flick

Banned
So, why is it that there are so many positive rumors about Playstation?

I mean we got this one right here, and this one:

this one:

This one:

and many many more. All of them were bullshit of course, like this one right here. lets be real. but how come we give attention to this bullcrap?

Mod Note - Some new user literally tried to claim the exact same thing but it was Microsoft instead of Sony. There was no source so we deleted that shit with the quickness.

Not saying this isnt true but I am wary now.

Personally I dont care who buys that but I wish someone would and give us new games. I would also love to get those Castlevania GBA/DS games on PC, I still never played Order of Ecclesea.

Their was a certain rawness to that era of handheld games. The 2000's equiv of the nes/amiga/sega crts etc gens. They looked that way because of the hardware of the time, unlike todays replicas that try to look that way by pretending to be that hardware.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Sony is scumbag from saving metal gear/silent hill/castlevania from oblivion?

It's odd to me seeing such a drastic change of minset.

Just a few years ago, a company buying multiplatform franchises for exclusivity was met with unanimous condemnation (And rightly so).

I don't know what has changed, but it's now sudenly a good thing :messenger_dizzy:

JangoRain

As long as they don’t turn Castlevania into a gothic god of war clone I’ll be happy. AAA traditional Castlevania could be amazing

Enjay

Banned
Meh. These series have been bankrupt creatively for over a decade now. Guns of the Patriots and Peace Walker finished the Snakes' stories and Dawn of Sorrow ended Dracula's curse as far as I'm concerned.

Airbus Jr

Banned
It's odd to me seeing such a drastic change of minset.

Just a few years ago, a company buying multiplatform franchises for exclusivity was met with unanimous condemnation (And rightly so).

I don't know what has changed, but it's now sudenly a good thing :messenger_dizzy:

You know exactly castlevania silent hill and metal gear are going nowhere under curent konami

Dont pretend you dont know about that

Sony is actually saving these franchise from oblivion

Dont let your hatred for some certain brand clouds your judgement

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So, why is it that there are so many positive rumors about Playstation?

I mean we got this one right here, and this one:

this one:

This one:

and many many more. All of them were bullshit of course, like this one right here. lets be real. but how come we give attention to this bullcrap?
It's been rumoured for some time.
There was also a rumour that Konami had two new Silent Hill games in production and OsirisBlack hinted Sony was involved with some Konami IP's months ago and dropped a hint it was Silent Hill and this was before the rumours started
Add on top that the tweets which also seem to hint at something Silent Hill related and Sony Pictures has announced there is a new Silent Hill Film Reboot in the works
Sony also celebrated Silent Hill's 20th Anniversary is cool but random as Konami didn't
Metal Gear Solid I'm not too sure about but Silent Hill seems very likely.
But.. OsirisBlack did ask if people liked Konami games...
So maybe there is more then just Silent Hill.

Top Bottom