• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

FunkMiller

All hail Za Pobedy Cola

In gloriouz new Ruzzia, everybody live on Fancy Street!

Russian Vintage GIF by Buyout Footage

Spaceman292

Banned
New Rule: Stop calling everyone under the sun a Nazi. Reading just this thread you would think the Russians, Le Pen and 40% of the French people, the Ukrainians, Trump and 49% of the American population are all Nazis. What is with the Russians and some unsrupulous Western politicians and tons of dim witted people justifying their world views because of, "The Nazis!"?
It's just a useful term for these morons to use. If you call someone a nazi you're justified in just gunning them down in the street

Klik

Its obvious Russia can't win this, they will even have trouble keep this part of Donbas. Ukraine has huge moral advantage and equipment especiallly with land lease deal with modern weapons.

So what's the goal for Russia,what they get if this war drags for 3-4 more months? They will have 50k dead, not to mention huge number of injured, loss of equipment, shrinking economy, probably huge increase in unemployment etc.I mean they lost so many general and high ranking officers that im curious how they even manage to coordinate..

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Its obvious Russia can't win this, they will even have trouble keep this part of Donbas. Ukraine has huge moral advantage and equipment especiallly with land lease deal with modern weapons.

So what's the goal for Russia,what they get if this war drags for 3-4 more months? They will have 50k dead, not to mention huge number of injured, loss of equipment, shrinking economy, probably huge increase in unemployment etc.I mean they lost so many general and high ranking officers that im curious how they even manage to coordinate..

For Putin and his government, they are backed into a corner.
As a country, their solution is to blame it all on Putin and his government. Maybe even create a trial to officialize it. Then elect a new government and try to restore international relations.

Thaedolus

Once again the dangers of allowing grifters and sycophants to head up what one might call…an essential function of government, are on full display. Should be a giant red flag for any western democracies flirting with ambitious autocrats. Sadly it probably has a lot of western sycophantic grifters salivating

Klik

For Putin and his government, they are backed into a corner.
As a country, their solution is to blame it all on Putin and his government. Maybe even create a trial to officialize it. Then elect a new government and try to restore international relations.
I think the best thing that Russia can do is cancel all attacks and defend territory they got right now, part of Donbas with land territory to Crimea. The propaganda is so hard in Rusia that right now Putin can basically proclaim victory and people would believe him. And then just "dig in" and defend territory they got and negotiate a deal..

Thaedolus

To me it is insane, that he does not rot in prison, in any other country people who start shit like this, ended up dead (hopefully same for Russia), not in States tho.
Both chambers of congress authorized it. Don’t get me wrong, it was a completely immoral and stupid thing to do, but Bush didn’t make the decision on his own and the US was just traumatized by 9/11. We didn’t react the way we should’ve, but it was still a completely different situation.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Both chambers of congress authorized it. Don’t get me wrong, it was a completely immoral and stupid thing to do, but Bush didn’t make the decision on his own and the US was just traumatized by 9/11. We didn’t react the way we should’ve, but it was still a completely different situation.
I mean, I was pretty much child, not really affected by evening news and I remember that we were shocked that they went ahead with it. My father was saying that it's going to end like when Bolshevik attacked Afghanistan and basically more or less correct. You know when 100 000s people die, maybe even millions, it's kind of hard to have a compassion. I also don't think that ISIS is the last thing terrible thing that comes out of it.

Brazen

An obvious Freudian slip there.

Still, we were all lied too.

Is there any real chance that the governments of western/nato countries who continue to trade with, skirt sanctions, etc, ultimately end up siding with Russia before this war ends? Bush and his government did us no favors with the scars of the past is why I pop the question.

And something else to bring into discussion: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...first-ukraine-war-crimes-trial-since-invasion

Swift justice, but according to the article the soldier faces life in prison. No death penalty?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Funny how he says "Iraq too", even after acknowledging the slip up. Given the benefit of hindsight and history, I wonder if even GWB has realized the folly of his Iraq actions and how it actually has resulted in a net negative impact on the well being of the United States of America. Perhaps this gives him a uniquely enlightened perspective on the Ukraine invasion, at a great cost.

FunkMiller

The mentality behind it was certainly different from Putin’s. The invasion of Iraq was born of an overwhelming desire to do something in the face of a new enemy that couldn’t be fought on a battlefield. It wasn’t evil that drove it, it was frustration, stupidity, anger and misplaced aggression.

Putin is straight up trying to grab land To extend his power and fortune. The most base of reasons.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The mentality behind it was certainly different from Putin’s. The invasion of Iraq was born of an overwhelming desire to do something in the face of a new enemy that couldn’t be fought on a battlefield. It wasn’t evil that drove it, it was frustration, stupidity, anger and misplaced aggression.
I think we can definitely agree it was misplaced. They didn't even invade the right country. Whoops! Mistakes happen all the time when you're just so dedicated to doing good. Their only mistake was that they just cared too much honestly. Victims of their own virtuousness.

Perhaps this gives him a uniquely enlightened perspective on the Ukraine invasion, at a great cost.
He's always been special. I'd probably say the cost of his enlightenment is a little steep though. I mean, there were many people who predicted ahead of time that it was a bad idea, and it didn't even cost them a trillion dollars, or any deaths. That's steep even for current college rates.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I think we can definitely agree it was misplaced. They didn't even invade the right country. Whoops! Mistakes happen all the time when you're just so dedicated to doing good. Their only mistake was that they just cared too much honestly. Victims of their own virtuousness.

Where did I say they were intent on doing good? You‘re reading stuff into my comments that isn’t there, for some reason. It was driven by a desire for revenge. Nothing so honourable as ‘caring too much’. Where are you getting that from?

Tams

I think the best thing that Russia can do is cancel all attacks and defend territory they got right now, part of Donbas with land territory to Crimea. The propaganda is so hard in Rusia that right now Putin can basically proclaim victory and people would believe him. And then just "dig in" and defend territory they got and negotiate a deal..
Ukraine are largely no longer in the mood for that and they smell blood.

I'm also not sure it would be a good idea to let Russia consolidate their gains/theft. Not only would Ukraine lose their territory and people, they'd pretty much be setting themselves up to be invaded again in a few years, both due to Russian material gains, but also Putler remaining in power and the Russians feeling like they could win.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Putin is straight up trying to grab land To extend his power and fortune. The most base of reasons.
The invasion if Iraq was clear as day to many of us. I was fresh out of uni, and not at all onboard with the miniature American flag waving and bullshit eating that was going on among my friends.

I'd already assessed the situation as an oil grab. Iraq was sitting on a dying fleet of ancient Russian tanks. They had no means of building out a capable war machine, much less a WMD program. People were in a very much anti-Arab feeding frenzy, which was honestly alarming to me as a black man, as we're clearly next in line after the Arabs get theirs. So I was fully invested in stopping the anti-Arab sentiments at the time, as I didn't see anything good at the end of that road.

But not long after whipping people into a frenzy, by completely ignoring the gang if Saudis on the plane, did we get Powell shaking his glass tube of yellow cake at the UN. So, the whole thing looked staged to some of us, at the time. Too bad we didn't have social media, or we'd have hashtagged the shit out of that.

Post-9/11 America is one of the worst places I've ever lived. I was in upstate NY for much of it. Just a lot of anti-Arab sentiments clouding the judgment of otherwise good people. I had a big argument with my best friend prior to Bush's SotU speech, because I told him that we were going to declare war on a country that didn't deserve it, and that there's no way Iraq had WMDs. We didn't speak for years, but he messaged me on FB a decade later to tell me I was right, and we've been cool since.

Not everyone drank the Koolaid back then. It was very much a war campaign spurred on by xenophobia. I got a lot of shit for actively discouraging many of my students, at the time, from enlisting, because I told them they were going to be sent to fight an unjust war. I wonder how people like me are getting along in Russia right now. It's not easy being the voice of reason when everyone around you is actively being brainwashed.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Sad to see but Russia made quite a few gains today :\ They've even managed to recapture some villages in the Kharkiv area that Ukraine only recently took back

Russia has shifted to a slow grind strategy. This has shown gains in the southern/Donbas areas as well. But it's coming at serious losses, and isn't sustainable. Remember, just 5 days ago they had one of the largest military losses since WW2. They aren't making gains in a way that leaves them in any way effective.

Invaders, generally, have to make really fast gains, now slow gains - that benefits the defenders.

Tams

Russia has shifted to a slow grind strategy. This has shown gains in the southern/Donbas areas as well. But it's coming at serious losses, and isn't sustainable. Remember, just 5 days ago they had one of the largest military losses since WW2. They aren't making gains in a way that leaves them in any way effective.

Invaders, generally, have to make really fast gains, now slow gains - that benefits the defenders.
So long as Ukraine can keep key locations, they have plenty of territory to trade for saved soldiers and equipment. Not that they have much of a choice anyway.

And each new bit of territory Russia gain, is another they have to station soldiers and equipment at.

GymWolf

It’s interesting seeing these events unfold. I can see why Putin feels threatened - there is a huge Capitalist World(West) with very different ideologies expanding around them and they are afraid to be sucked up into that world and lose their identities, and also there is still quite a large amount of Nazis.
If you believe for a single second that putin and the other 50 super rich people in power in russia really believe in communism i have a bridge to sell to you...

Communism is their way to get rich on the back of poor people dude, the only thing that putin fear to lose are his mega house and mega yatch.

Last edited:

Sakura

The slow grind strategy results in less losses than their previous strategy.
You can just look at the casualty numbers if you want. Russia had almost twice the casualties in the first phase of the war compared to the second (both phases have been going on for about the same time now). This is using the numbers Ukraine gives for casualties.
I'm not sure what you mean by fast gains vs slow gains. It entirely depends on the context of the situation.

So long as Ukraine can keep key locations, they have plenty of territory to trade for saved soldiers and equipment. Not that they have much of a choice anyway.

And each new bit of territory Russia gain, is another they have to station soldiers and equipment at.
Not necessarily. You don't need to leave a garrison behind for every single town or village you capture. What would be the point of that? There is no need to station a bunch of soldiers and stuff in a town way behind the front lines. You keep checkpoints at strategic locations, and your forces at the front and other important locations.

Top Bottom