• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

I've stated my standpoint several times. It was supposed to be a discussion point. You want to discuss the content? What exactly? Firstly, we have to establish he's lying - yes or no?

What you don’t seem to understand is that it does not criticise anything about Western media because it presents a strawman of it, to say there is a narrative and then tries to counter that, completely made-up and unsubstantiated, allegation.

You want to talk about whether he’s lying or not, crack on, I’m not going to entertain that because it’s totally unprovable either way. But trying to say this video is anything to do with Western media or the narrative is bogus.

My point is that you clearly have an agenda to both sides this conflict, by wanting to talk about Ukraine’s failings as a nation and post YouTube horseshit apparently backing your position, and I was just seeing if you actually had the stones to just come right out and say it. Seems pretty black and white, doesn’t it?

But you have fun claiming your YouTube videos are creating a more ‘balanced picture‘ against the ‘narrative‘ the western msm are feeding us all.

And enjoy your Fancy beverages and cabbage soup.
In you eyes we always have to take a side. Why is that? The YouTube video isn't a balanced view, but it helps to form one.

What you don’t seem to understand is that it does not criticise anything about Western media because it presents a strawman of it, to say there is a narrative and then tries to counter that, completely made-up and unsubstantiated, allegation.

You want to talk about whether he’s lying or not, crack on, I’m not going to entertain that because it’s totally unprovable either way. But trying to say this video is anything to do with Western media or the narrative is bogus.
What apart the part he talks about the media reporters? And what they report? And what actually happened?

I can pull up probably hundreds of posts here that aren't substantiated or verified or questioned in any way (Twitter for eg) yet you want to question this one in particular? Why is that?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

…I doubt a concert crowd is a representative sample but it’s still nice to see dissent of this kind

All I am hearing is "kurva je", not anything like "nie vojne". If it would be "Putin je kurva", I would agree with that.

Kurva = whore in Slavic land, je = is, vojna = war in non-Czech lands (here it's military draft), nie = no

What apart the part he talks about the media reporters? And what they report? And what actually happened?

I can pull up probably hundreds of posts here that aren't substantiated or verified or questioned in any way (Twitter for eg) yet you want to question this one in particular? Why is that?

Him saying “you won’t hear this from Western media” is not a criticism of Western media, it means nothing. And I want to discuss this one in particular because it’s the one that you posted and the one we’re discussing. That should be obvious or you have completely lost the plot.

You said it’s “about Western media reporting”. When it’s not. At best, that strawman is used to frame the topics the YouTuber wants to talk about.

Tams

All I am hearing is "kurva je", not anything like "nie vojne". If it would be "Putin je kurva", I would agree with that.

Kurva = whore in Slavic land, je = is, vojna = war in non-Czech lands (here it's military draft), nie = no
So all you're hear is 'is whore'?

I don't know if you can exclude the subject while keeping the verb in Russian, but who is a whore then?

And bear in mind that holding a blank sheet of paper in Russia now can get you arrested.

Last edited:

M1chl

So you're hear is 'is whore'?

I don't know if you can exclude the subject while keeping the verb in Russian, but who is a whore then?

And bear in mind that holding a blank sheet of paper in Russia now can get you arrested.
Yeah, like I said, there seems to be something missing or it's one of those "slavic false friends", which is for example:
Polish szukać - to search - in Czech same sounding word šukat [shukat] means "fucking"
Slovenian otrok - child - in Czech otrok means slave

...and many more, this is just something I find out in my life. Some words in a hard way : D

Tams

Yeah, like I said, there seems to be something missing or it's one of those "slavic false friends", which is for example:
Polish szukać - to search - in Czech same sounding word šukat [shukat] means "fucking"
Slovenian otrok - child - in Czech otrok means slave

...and many more, this is just something I find out in my life. Some words in a hard way : D
I think comparing this to other Slavic languages, especially slang, is just complicating this.

These are Russians chanting in Russian, not another language.

Last edited:

M1chl

I think comparing this to other Slavic languages, especially slang, is just complicating this.

These are Russians chanting in Russian, not another language.
Sure, it was just what I've heard. Kurva is universal pretty much. Maybe someone knows Russian better than I do.

Him saying “you won’t hear this from Western media” is not a criticism of Western media, it means nothing. And I want to discuss this one in particular because it’s the one that you posted and the one we’re discussing. That should be obvious or you have completely lost the plot.

You said it’s “about Western media reporting”. When it’s not. At best, that strawman is used to frame the topics the YouTuber wants to talk about.
Of course you're keen to discuss it because it's unubstantiatiated, just like all of the other unubstantiatiated videos you're keen to discuss. Fair play. Did you actually see the part about western media reporting Ukrainian military activity, knowingly reported as russian? Maybe you missed it - easily done. What exactly are you disputing? X

nemiroff

Gold Member

00:42 - How he entered Ukraine (start of his story)
01:53 - We were told there were American troops in Ukraine and NATO, and documental proof that Ukraine was ready to attack Crimea
02:46 - Because our battalion was undermanned, they sent us conscripts
04:20 - Some people wanted to refuse, but intimidation was used, prison implied
04:55 - They also told us about "banderovtsy" and oppression of russian population
05:07 - I have a girlfriend from Ukraine
06:14 - On February 24, we saw artillery fire in the direction of Ukraine
07:46 - Many wanted to go back
08:32 - We were told that seven cities were already taken, that Kyiv was almost taken - to motivate us
08:47 - Russian Guard would shoot on those who would try to walk back
09:08 - Officers were ready to pay just to be sent back safely
10:25 - During exercise we had NVGs, thermals, but then they were stolen
11:37 - About stealing in the Russian army
12:29 - Command vehicles were broken, no proper communication - only radios
13:02 - We came under friendly fire all the time
14:03 - Our tankers burnt our own vehicles with crews in it
14:25 - We left a car that was broken with a crew
15:11 - How they met other soldiers who were left behind
16:35 - We poured out our diesel fuel to Ukrainian civilians
16:44 - How Caucasians made efforts to prevent civilians getting into trouble with russian soldiers
17:30 - I asked an officer to give me civilian clothes so that I could surrender
18:42 - I offered to pay a civilian to drive me away
20:45 - Officer told us to keep in the rear "to get lost" at the right moment, to surrender
21:06 - How we shot our own tanks
21:55 - Who bombed Donbas for 8 years?

Of course you're keen to discuss it because it's unubstantiatiated, just like all of the other unubstantiatiated videos you're keen to discuss. Fair play. Did you actually see the part about western media reporting Ukrainian military activity, knowingly reported as russian? Maybe you missed it - easily done. What exactly are you disputing? X

You’re talking about the interviewee now, not the YouTuber. But if it’s the part he talks about “American journalists” then which outlet? Which journalists? Which articles or reports? Which raids? Which shelling targets and when were the attacks? There‘s nothing substantive here, it confirms any existing bias you might have but nothing else.

Last edited:
You’re talking about the interviewee now, not the YouTuber. But if it’s the part he talks about “American journalists” then which outlet? Which journalists? Which articles or reports? There‘s nothing substantive here, it confirms any existing bias you might have but nothing else.
I said early on this is about the interviewee - couldn't care less about the interviewer. Anyway

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Righty ho. Out of curiosity, do you feel this way about all invasions? I hope so. Regardless, you've not been reading - keep up.
In a proper debate, it is common courtesy to answer the question directly asked of you before asking a question of your own. To be fair, in some circumstances answering a question with another questions can help to illuminate logical fallacies with the initial question, but yours does not do that.

When you avoid the question like that, all you are doing is demonstrating to the rest of us that you don't have any solid backing for your positions, and your condescending request to "keep up" is hilarious in light of the fact of how ironic it is.

Please answer the question instead of deflecting.

Animated GIF

Relique

Sure, it was just what I've heard. Kurva is universal pretty much. Maybe someone knows Russian better than I do.
Kurva is universal but that's not what they are saying. They are saying "Khuy vojne" which means fuck the war. If you want the literal translation it's "dick to the war."

Kurva is not that commonly used in Russian, at least not as commonly as other countries like Poland or whatever.
Holy shit, look at the state of that school!

And that marching is likely very reminiscent of actual Russian forces. What a shambles!
Yeah schools there are a fucking mess. They control the shit out of the kids but don't provide any kind of support.
Children's parents are who pays for all school needs. Any supplies for class activities, cleaning costs, even renovations and repairs have to be split between the parents of all the kids.
It's a fucking joke of a country

Holy shit, look at the state of that school!

And that marching is likely very reminiscent of actual Russian forces. What a shambles!
This school is probably far outside the main cities of Moscow and St. Petersburg, sources of raw materials and cannon fodder for the army. No need to educate them beyond what is needed for those two functions and all the good education can be concentrated in the cities.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
In you eyes we always have to take a side. Why is that? The YouTube video isn't a balanced view, but it helps to form one.

The thing is, you think you’re being clever. Subtle, even.

You think that by introducing this whole notion of ‘let’s think about the wrongs on both sides here, because that’s the thoughtful and measured thing to do’ you sound intelligent, reasoned, and apart from the mindless crowd who just want to see the situation in silly black and white terms.

And the saddest thing is you have no idea that you are nowhere near the first pro-Russian troll to come into this thread with this ‘winning’ strategy.

And like all the others, your true colours will eventually be teased out by those with actual intelligence and reason… and you’ll get banned. Just like all the others did. Or you’ll just slope off when you realise none of us are buying your oh so very tired and cliched nonsense.

See also: anti-vaxxers in the covid thread.

Last edited:

Tams

The thing is, you think you’re being clever. Subtle, even.

You think that by introducing this whole notion of ‘let’s think about the wrongs on both sides here, because that’s the thoughtful and measured thing to do’ you sound intelligent, reasoned, and apart from the mindless crowd who just want to see the situation in silly black and white terms.

And the saddest thing is you have no idea that you are nowhere near the first pro-Russian troll to come into this thread with this ‘winning’ strategy.

And like all the others, your true colours will eventually be teased out by those with actual intelligence and reason… and you’ll get banned. Just like all the others did. Or you’ll just slope off when you realise none of us are buying your oh so very tired and cliched nonsense.

See also: anti-vaxxers in the covid thread.
I'm very happy such idiots get filtered out from here pretty effectively.

It's a waste of their time (well, a good thing), but really just a pain here.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Orc telegram channels are abuzz saying ukraine has amassed the equivalent of 25-35 BTG (that'd be 12,500-35,000 troops), has split them in 3 and are getting ready for counteroffensive. Reportedly there's about 100 tanks to support them.

We're nearing June and I remember someone saying (zelensky? one of his associates?) that counteroffensive would have to wait until June.

Reportedly one of these splits is headed for Izium and another for Kherson (makes a lot of sense, considering these are the 2 areas we've seen UA moving around whereas in other fronts they just defend).

If this is true, next weeks should prove interesting.

Last edited:

Facism

In a proper debate, it is common courtesy to answer the question directly asked of you before asking a question of your own. To be fair, in some circumstances answering a question with another questions can help to illuminate logical fallacies with the initial question, but yours does not do that.

When you avoid the question like that, all you are doing is demonstrating to the rest of us that you don't have any solid backing for your positions, and your condescending request to "keep up" is hilarious in light of the fact of how ironic it is.

Please answer the question instead of deflecting.

It's worth to note that propagandists do this all the time. There's a few defence forums I follow where you'll get some Chinese government stan post some amazingly stinky bullshit "everything is great in Xinxiang and the Ughurs are living in prosperity and freedom" and then when people take the bait, they change the discussion to another subject without ever discussing the initial points. It invariably boils down to "but what about the genocide of native americans etc"

Not worth anything more than an ignore.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I'm very happy such idiots get filtered out from here pretty effectively.

It's a waste of their time (well, a good thing), but really just a pain here.

I’m assuming the latest Russia / Both Sides supporting dork will be appearing on this list, alongside all the others:

M1chl

What a great documentary about how Russia has been operating post USSR era.

And I urge everyone to watch it, because holy shit.

Last edited:

Tams

Poland's current administration are corrupt, have and are abusing the legal system to stay in power, and are really fucked up on some social issues.

But damn are they coming out strong morally for Ukraine. Take fucking note, Germany, Italy, France.

M1chl

Looks like something out of Mad Max.

....even though the main rig in Mad Max Fury Road is built on the same car as this.

Thaedolus

…I was at a farewell bbq on Friday for a coworker, and an Eastern European coworker that attended couldn’t stop laughing and making fun of the Russian kleptocracy. He got drunker and drunker and kept getting happier and happier as he shared stories of the Russian military’s corruption. It was hella fun. I remain undefeated in Mario Kart, however.

TwinB242

Been following this Foreign legion volunteer from my home state of CT for a while. He got home from Ukraine just a few days ago and I was kind of shocked to see his latest updates. I feel a whole lot of respect for this guy, sacrificing his relationship and the life he's built to help Ukraine.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Been following this Foreign legion volunteer from my home state of CT for a while. He got home from Ukraine just a few days ago and I was kind of shocked to see his latest updates. I feel a whole lot of respect for this guy, sacrificing his relationship and the life he's built to help Ukraine.

Dunno... Isn't he a LARPer?

TwinB242

I've seen the photos... But lots of sketchy with him and Canadian. Maybe its true.

Really have wished for a lot better field reports in general.

The Canadian volunteer is likely legit. Sometimes when he post estimates of Russian losses on the southern front the Kyiv Independent tweets similar numbers not long afterwards.

Last edited:

Tams

At the very least, Ukraine are very willing to help such people.

You give to them and they give back.

And geez, the cuck in the comments telling him to 'surrender'.

Last edited:

TwinB242

So those Terminator tanks. Apparently Russia has deployed a whopping.....10 of them. Pretty much just enough for some nice pictures and propaganda back home. They'll hardly make much of a difference on the battlefield.

And in other news, Starbucks follows Mcdonalds in permanently shuttering their Russian division. I think as more companies do this we'll start seeing more anti-war sentiment in Russia. A lot of Russians on these companies' payrolls thought the closures would be temporary especially since a lot of them were still being payed, so they likely had this feeling companies would start returning and things would be back to normal soon. But once they realize they're suddenly unemployed and their favorite businesses are gone for good , thats going to make life harder for them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom