• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

LQX

What a great documentary about how Russia has been operating post USSR era.

And I urge everyone to watch it, because holy shit.

This was really good, and in hindsight much of it, if not all of it was likely spot on. The fallout from what Russia was doing behind the scenes, but seemingly in the open is playing out right now. From these rich oligarchs laundering Russian money with their many properties in the West, to the corruption and the fact they had so many other countries politicians in their pockets doing their bidding.

What's really scary though is that this war and the fact Ukraine was not beaten into submission immediately is probably the only thing that undid Russian influence and corruption of other countries. The West just could not turn a blind eye to it like they did in the past. This war I think will prove to be a benefit to many, many other countries as Russia likely put the US and China combined to shame with just how much they were influencing if not dictating the politics of other countries without spending trillions in an arms race. They were probably the worlds true super power for the past few years.

Also, as critical as some are of Russia and Putin right now they likely wont give this documentary much credence as it is also highly critical of Trump, but in hindsight it was not just a shallow hit job on Trump. Those that originally watched it and wrote it off probably did so because they just could not grasp and or believe that level of corruption was possible being that so much of it was in such plain sight.

Moscow not sure it needs resumed ties with West, will work on ties with China -Lavrov​

renderTimingPixel.png

reuters.com/world/...

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
That they used a clickbait title and cover image is enough for me to not bother even watching it. Add in that it's by a YouTuber and I'm definitely not going to waste my time.
It’s incredible how social media weaponises everything and how lots of YouTubers use the same clickbait thumbnails and tactics to talk about the war that they use to talk about Kim Kardashian, the new tech or videogames.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Been waiting on these Switchblade videos to go along with the M777s as they start mixing things up with techy loitering munitions.

Star Wars theme bodes well with the Death Star tweet from yesterday. 600s?

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Been waiting on these Switchblade videos to go along with the M777s as they start mixing things up with techy loitering munitions.

Star Wars theme bodes well with the Death Star tweet from yesterday. 600s?

I‘d imagine they’re waiting on the counter offensive to start deploying the 600s. Along with a lot of the other major US tech. Maximum impact and terror.

Last edited:

Moscow not sure it needs resumed ties with West, will work on ties with China -Lavrov​

renderTimingPixel.png

reuters.com/world/...

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN
Russia does not have the infrastructure to just switch oil exports to China from the west and it would take several years to build that if it wanted to suddenly change. Russia will start to bleed cash in the fall and that's when you will see the effects of the sanctions. Right now in Moscow and St Petes life is going on with little signs except closed stores.

RAÏSanÏa

I‘d imagine they’re waiting on the counter offensive to start deploying the 600s. Along with a lot of the other major US tech. Maximum impact and terror.
June was mentioned as the start of the counter back in April when some of these new weapons were announced being delivered.
Holding off the Russians from large victories, depleting and keeping them at a particular pace to prevent cycling out for 45 days while minimizing Ukr losses was going to be the real challenge.

All the training, organizing and planning that would have to be done with everything they're getting.
Training with the 300s at first, then testing/analysis before full deployment with 600s is the better executed plan. It's new tech too. Switchblade swarms could really clean up in many situations. Picturing it now with artillery, tanks and infantry after months of having everything the Russians have in the field reconned, identified and prioritized with full psychological understanding of their soldiers and battle tactics in various situations.

Kenpachii

Russia does not have the infrastructure to just switch oil exports to China from the west and it would take several years to build that if it wanted to suddenly change. Russia will start to bleed cash in the fall and that's when you will see the effects of the sanctions. Right now in Moscow and St Petes life is going on with little signs except closed stores.

Big chance china pays absolutely nothing for it also because they know russia will depend on them big time.

sinnergy

Im not sure what the implication is with this, but im guessing its something thats not going to benefit Ukraine or the rest of Europe.

Sounds great with a pro Russian leader .. if we don’t worry about COVID or monkey pox , it’s this bullshit .

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
June was mentioned as the start of the counter back in April when some of these new weapons were announced being delivered.
Holding off the Russians from large victories, depleting and keeping them at a particular pace to prevent cycling out for 45 days while minimizing Ukr losses was going to be the real challenge.

All the training, organizing and planning that would have to be done with everything they're getting.
Training with the 300s at first, then testing/analysis before full deployment with 600s is the better executed plan. It's new tech too. Switchblade swarms could really clean up in many situations. Picturing it now with artillery, tanks and infantry after months of having everything the Russians have in the field reconned, identified and prioritized with full psychological understanding of their soldiers and battle tactics in various situations.

All of which is why we’ve seen an uptick in Russian bombardments in recent days. They probably know what’s coming. The longer the counter offensive takes to start, the worse it’s likely to be for the Russian troops. I have little doubt the US are helping orchestrate it all for maximum impact. NATO will be keen to damage Putin’s forces as much as they can, with as little as they can get away with using. Ukraine has now become a litmus test. First for Russia (failed horribly) and soon for NATO’s counter. I’m hoping for something monumentally violent, swift and effective. Not least for a Chinese audience, which at this stage is surely who the west will be more concerned with impressing and scaring.

sobaka770

Banned
Counteroffensive? Someone's been watching too much CNN. I don't think there any chance of that apart from select pockets where Russian army regroups to hit priority targets. The very best outcome for Ukraine would be to reach a status quo without the fall of Kharkiv, Odessa and Zaporizhie to Russia. Otherwise by end of year it's as done as integration of Kherson and Russia basically wins 90% of the objectives by claiming all land to the East of Dnipro.

Yes there are recruits and training going on by NATO but the best fighters are right now on the frontline and today was a bad day for them. Armies take years to properly train, not weeks of showing how to use a gun, no matter how big.

The priority for Ukraine has to be the defense of what's left that Russia wants to take. There is no diplomatic solution or talks right now ( forget that laughably stupid Italian solution to the crisis) because Russia is winning hard on the ground right now and can make any demands. Honestly, I don't think Russians would even want to talk right now - they'd much rather grab the land and continue to demoralise what's left of Ukrainian resistance.

I would say for Ukrain the best outcome is at least stall at Kharkiv and Odessa and maybe bleed out the Russian army to drop the pretense on these regions. After Donbass - those will be the primary targets. Enough Russian population to gather support for "denazification", historical context and immense geographical value. That's why Ukraine will attempt to attack Zmeiniy again even if it fails miserably like last time - the more Russians entrench on that island - the higher chance of multi-pronged capture of the last port. Without Odessa Ukraine would be a landlocked state which is a horrible predicament.

Let's be real, the lands falling to Russia are never going back bar a miracle. A quick integration would make Kherson and Donbass "Russian land" which would technically justify the use of nukes. But even that is not necessary at this point - Russian Calibre missiles have already hit targets in Lviv with enough success. What counteroffensive are we talking about if any aggression could lead to a strike directly on Kyiv if gloves come off?

Hungary is getting into full-blown alert mode and Polish troops helping Ukraine is not as good a thing imo. I think a partition of Ukraine is much more likely than Russia at this point.

Atrus

Gold Member
Counteroffensive? Someone's been watching too much CNN. I don't think there any chance of that apart from select pockets where Russian army regroups to hit priority targets. The very best outcome for Ukraine would be to reach a status quo without the fall of Kharkiv, Odessa and Zaporizhie to Russia. Otherwise by end of year it's as done as integration of Kherson and Russia basically wins 90% of the objectives by claiming all land to the East of Dnipro.

Yes there are recruits and training going on by NATO but the best fighters are right now on the frontline and today was a bad day for them. Armies take years to properly train, not weeks of showing how to use a gun, no matter how big.

The priority for Ukraine has to be the defense of what's left that Russia wants to take. There is no diplomatic solution or talks right now ( forget that laughably stupid Italian solution to the crisis) because Russia is winning hard on the ground right now and can make any demands. Honestly, I don't think Russians would even want to talk right now - they'd much rather grab the land and continue to demoralise what's left of Ukrainian resistance.

I would say for Ukrain the best outcome is at least stall at Kharkiv and Odessa and maybe bleed out the Russian army to drop the pretense on these regions. After Donbass - those will be the primary targets. Enough Russian population to gather support for "denazification", historical context and immense geographical value. That's why Ukraine will attempt to attack Zmeiniy again even if it fails miserably like last time - the more Russians entrench on that island - the higher chance of multi-pronged capture of the last port. Without Odessa Ukraine would be a landlocked state which is a horrible predicament.

Let's be real, the lands falling to Russia are never going back bar a miracle. A quick integration would make Kherson and Donbass "Russian land" which would technically justify the use of nukes. But even that is not necessary at this point - Russian Calibre missiles have already hit targets in Lviv with enough success. What counteroffensive are we talking about if any aggression could lead to a strike directly on Kyiv if gloves come off?

Hungary is getting into full-blown alert mode and Polish troops helping Ukraine is not as good a thing imo. I think a partition of Ukraine is much more likely than Russia at this point.

Russia withdrew from the city of Kharkiv and is struggling to remain on the Ukrainian side of the border in the oblast, Odesa is nowhere near under threat of conquest nor is Mykolaiev which needs to be taken first. A seaborne invasion of Odesa is out of the question given that there are more anti-ship missiles in play than Russia has ships in the region. Zaporizhzhia has been fairly stagnant since Russia is throwing as much as it has left against something like a 100 square km of frontline to take Severodonetsk.

We are currently within the 2-weekish period that US intelligence has mentioned is a period of attrition. It may run longer but the general idea is that Russia does not have the capacity to wage high intensity operations of this nature without requiring more troops, while Ukraine is arming and forming its own forces.

Nothing you have stated demonstrates an understanding of the ongoing conflict.

Liljagare

Its called elastic defense.. Many nations have been down to train the UAF since 2014, among them Sweden.

Its pretty much, let the enemy take what ever they fancy, and then you have 300K snipers/guerilla troops saturating that area.

Nobody wins a conflict when you face that, barring nukes, but then you insta loose anyway.

Sauce: trained and did it myself.

Tams

Otherwise by end of year it's as done as integration of Kherson and Russia
There's so much questionable about your post, but I'll just address this. In occupied regions, there's still strong resistance. Russian officers and officials are being assassinated, and Russia hasn't even managed to enforce the use of the rouble. Just today/yesterday, they weren't able to force locals to take out decomposing bodies in Mariupol (that they have effectively controlled for quite a while now) and then just gave up on even taking down the destroyed building.

I don't know if you are an advanced Russian troll or shill, or just quite misguided.

rofif

Banned
Anyone seen this?

So wait…. All that nazi stuff is not imagined out of thin air? I mean every country have neoidiots but political party?

But this aside, the conflict is still same old USA vs Russia but Russia actually made a move. Ooof

Last edited:

Ironbunny

Anyone seen this?

So wait…. All that nazi stuff is not imagined out of thin air? I mean every country have neoidiots but political party?

But this aside, the conflict is still same old USA vs Russia but Russia actually made a move. Ooof

Yes everything is so simple when you have a right hat on. It all makes sense.

youtube fashion GIF

But yea hes painting what happened in Russia/Europe/Ukraine in a different view...but its a narration still.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Anyone seen this?

Sad to see such a good creator have such a dumb take. I did a thing is great.

Atrus

Gold Member
Anyone seen this?

If you want a real take on what happens, a yellow toothed Australian youtuber whose attempts to be funny fail every single time isn't the way to go.

I made some brief notes while listening to it and working and essentially it boils all political geopolitical situations into the fault of the Americans, including glossing over the 1993 Russian constitutional crisis as an American puppet seizing power. It reinforces the cult of Putin worship without analysis but also blames Putin on the US as well. It regurgitates the NATO expansion nonsense as being a factor of aggression despite it being a defensive pact and perpetuates the NATO enlargement myth, as well as glossing over its UN mandated interventions as if there weren't war crimes going on in Srebrenica.

It only starts to get into Ukraine, the point of the video, at 8 minutes in which is largely detached from the first 8 minutes. It simplifies Ukrainian history (Eastern Ukraine isn't "Russian") with no analysis of the Russian influence in its politics, which given the fact that Russia is the belligerent, would make you think that it is an essential component of the analysis. It has no problem dropping Hunter Biden into the mix to fuel conspiracy theorists amid its very weak attempt to address the actual historical circumstances that took place in the Revolution of Dignity. While Zelenskyy is a comedian, it feeds into Russian attempts to discredit him as some puppet-buffoon of the US despite the fact he has a law degree.

The Revolution did have Ukrainian Nationalists, who in lacking an armed forces accepted anyone in fighting against the authoritarian Yanukovich regime. They were also some of the ones at the forefront in the volunteer battalions of Donbas in battling Russian-backed separatists and Russian military (again no mention of actual Russian forces). Once the Berkut was disbanded and the National Guard brought back, the volunteer battalions were folded into the National Guard and the Nationalists took their aims political. Rising to a meagre minority before being completely kicked out by the voters who wanted a pro-EU future. What the video does not say is that there were and are neo-nazis fighting on the Russian side, like Sparta Battalion and that these views which also line up with the current fascist Russian regime of Putin. Their difference isn't whether one side is Neo-Nazi or not, the dispute was about Russian influence in Ukraine. One side sucks Putin's dick due to deep and longstanding Russian political manipulation and the other want a Ukraine free of that Russian slavery.

Andrei Biletsky is not the current leader of Azov, the leader is Denis Prokopenko who is a Ukrainian of Karelian Finnish descent with a family history of hating Communists/Russians. Under his leadership in 2018 Azov became de-politicized and primarily focussed as a hyper-aggressive, highly focused force under the the Ukrainian military. It is not the same sort of nationalist force as it was under Biletsky and has only a handful of old guard that are grandfathered in. So no, Ukraine does not have a neo-nazi unit in its military.

Not once did the video address Putin's own declaration of war and reasons for the conflict. It did not mention Russkiy Mir, Third Rome, the claim that Ukraine is a Leninist invention (per Putin), the assets at play in "Novorossiya", Russian imperialism, or the long history of Russian influence in neighboring countries with a Russian diaspora, any term of which you could simply google and learn more about the conflict as a result than wasting time on that video.

Gp1

SU-25 eh? That thing is 50 years old.

Don't tell anyone but the A-10 is 50 years old too.

Why do they have a retired general in a fighter plane running combat missions?!

They already out of pilots over there or what?

Warzone did a good piece on the entire incident. Looks like the guy was discharged after stealing and crash a Su-27 after a joyride. After that he probably became a mercenary at Wagner at the age of 63. Almost some sort of Russian Maverick

Last edited:

Tams

Anyone seen this?

Yes, Ukraine had a bit (and I mean only a bit of a Nazi) problem.

Do you know which Ukrainian administration cracked down on it? Zelenskyy's. Do you know which ones didn't? The pro-Russian ones.

I bet you'll be shocked to find out that both Russia and Germany also have problems with neo Nazis.

And in the future, don't bother linking clickbait YouTube 'stuff you never knew' shite.

Anyone seen this?

I like how he hinges everything off that Biden video but edits out the "I don't mean military". Now that's what I call narrative.

rofif

Banned
Yes, Ukraine had a bit (and I mean only a bit of a Nazi) problem.

Do you know which Ukrainian administration cracked down on it? Zelenskyy's. Do you know which ones didn't? The pro-Russian ones.

I bet you'll be shocked to find out that both Russia and Germany also have problems with neo Nazis.

And in the future, don't bother linking clickbait YouTube 'stuff you never knew' shite.
He doesn’t say anything too weird in the video did he?
Clickbait? Maybe I am pro nazi and pro Russia all of sudden because the video is 2% different than other views?

If you look into it a bit more, they really did had that type of political parties unlike just random group of people.
The guy is pretty legit usually. I don’t see a reason he should lie about anything else. Besides, it doesn’t give Russia any reason anyway. Just so you know….
Christ. I ask a question that is a tiny bit more open and I will get banned for being a nazi cmon people :p

I realised his view seems a bit weird so I ask about it here. Don’t make me a bad person for trying to check it

Last edited:

Tams

Clickbait? Maybe I am pro nazi and pro Russia all of sudden because the video is 2% different than other views?

If you look into it a bit more, they really did had that type of political parties unlike just random group of people.
The guy is pretty legit usually. I don’t see a reason he should lie about anything else. Besides, it doesn’t give Russia any reason anyway. Just so you know….
Christ. I ask a question that is a tiny bit more open and I will get banned for being a nazi cmon people :p

I realised his view seems a bit weird so I ask about it here. Don’t make me a bad person for trying to check it
Thankfully I don't have to go into detail as to why a) the video is clickbait and b) incredibly biased, as A Atrus has already put in the hard work and ripped you a new one.

And yes, I'm much less patient with the likes of you than some are.

And thanks for wasting my time watching that drivel.

rofif

Banned
Thankfully I don't have to go into detail as to why a) the video is clickbait and b) incredibly biased, as A Atrus has already put in the hard work and ripped you a new one.

And yes, I'm much less patient with the likes of you than some are.

And thanks for wasting my time watching that drivel.
There is nothing to be patient about. Are you kidding me ?! Likes of me?! What does that mean? Who am I then? I see you built whole opinion on me after my one post....
Why are you so toxic?
I saw a video. It sounded ok, I am asking.
Don't be so close minded.
Are you on the internet for first day? Finding real information is the hardest action nowadays. No one knows what is true anymore. Even hard facts are difficult to validate.

Ironbunny

This is the denazifier leader of ruZZias Putins Wagner group. An actual nazi. The whole group is full of these neo-nazi fucks. He is there to kill those Ukranian "nazis" and the jew "drug addict nazi" leader. Yes this seems like a talk with merits right?

FOcKzCjWQAMLcEJ

Top Bottom