• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia will shoot down alliance jets over Syria if US launches air strikes on Alassad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolx

ussian forces could shoot down coalition jets if the United States launches airstrikes against pro-government forces in Syria, the Russian ministry of defence has said.

American officials have reportedly discussed using limited airstrikes to force Bashar al-Assad’s government to halt its assault on Aleppo and return the negotiating table after a ceasefire collapsed last month.

In Moscow’s starkest warning yet against Western intervention in the war, Russia’s chief military spokesman said that any airstrikes on government-held territory in Syria would be considered a “clear threat” to Russian servicemen.

“Today, the Syrian army has effective S-200, Buk and other air defense systems, which have undergone technical renovation in the past year,” he said.

“I remind US 'strategists' that air cover for the Russian military bases in Tartus and Hmeymim includes S-400 and S-300 anti aircraft missile systems, the range of which may come as a surprise to any unidentified flying objects,” he added.

Russian air defence troops would not have time to identify the flight path of incoming rockets or aircraft that fired them, and would respond immediately, Maj. Gen. Konashenkov added.

Officials from the State Department, CIA, and Joint Chiefs of Staff discussed using limited airstrikes to pressure Bashar al-Assad to halt an assault on Aleppo and return to the negotiating table at a meeting in the White House last week, the Washington Post reported on Tuesday.

Russia earlier rejected a calls from John Kerry, the US Secretary of State, for a total suspension of military flights over Syria in order to restore the ceasefire.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/06/russian-air-defence-missiles-would-respond-if-us-launches-air-st/

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Russia needs to stop sucking Assad's cock.

antonz

Russia is trying to start a ton of shit before the election. Ended Plutonium deal with the US. Beginning a buildup of more Nukes in direct disregard for disarmament agreements.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I am obviously against this but I cant help kinda wanting to see what would happen and call russia on their possible bluff

Russia is trying to start a ton of shit before the election. Ended Plutonium deal with the US. Beginning a buildup of more Nukes in direct disregard for disarmament agreements.

Their inside man, Trump, isn't doing so well. Gotta find someway else to take over the world.

How on earth is this Russias fault?
USA wants to bomb all utilities, tv stations, radio station and other shit like they did in Serbia.. it helps noone turning Syria into Libya

Between climate stuff beginning to hit a boiling point and tensions sorta raising with nuclear powers, the next 20 years are gonna be something to watch.

Mohonky

Russia needs to stop sucking Assad's cock.

You have it the wrong way around, Assad needs Russia, and while he's a good boy for Russia, they'll keep someone who toes the line.

I can entirely see why Russia would take this stance; aiding anyone who opposes Assad is effectively opposing Russia, same as if any country armed rebels in Afghanistan, they would be seen to be opposing the coalition forces there.

Piggus

USA wants to bomb all utilities, tv stations, radio station and other shit like they did in Serbia.. it helps noone turning Syria into Libya

You know what also helps noone? Defending a piece of shit who intentially gasses and bombs civilians.

Fuck Russia.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
You know what also helps noone? Defending a piece of shit who intentially gasses and bombs civilians.

Fuck Russia.

Consider the source, he trusts Russia Intelligence more than Human Rights Watch.

Kolx

If this not a sarcasm post then wow. I guess you think it's ok for Russia to do all of this?

the Russians and Syrians must be really close to completely controlling Aleppo if the United States is thinking about conducting air strikes.

if Syria has a ceasefire with the FSA in Aleppo it could provide them more time to resupply since its close to the Turkish border.

KRod-57

Banned
Well, I know many US politicians want to install a no fly zone over Syria, which would in effect mean we would be shooting down Russian jets that refuse to comply. On the other hand, Russia has already bombed the same Syrian rebels that the US was arming.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Coincidentally, Iran might finally let Lebanon elect a president (its been two years). There's an ongoing political stalemate that's tied to the war in Syria - I'm guessing the Russian and Hezbollah progress in Syria may have given the greenlight.

Well, I know many US politicians want to install a no fly zone over Syria, which would in effect mean we would be shooting down Russian jets that refuse to comply. On the other hand, Russia has already bombed the same Syrian rebels that the US was arming.

Also, Russia already has anti-air systems in place, which the US would have to take out. Would they really bomb a Russian airforce/military base, for Aleppo?

Fuck, I read "Russia shoots down alliance jets over Syria" and my heart stopped for a second.

Ontopic: I guess Russia doesnt want another accident where the SAA gets bombed but all this is really dangerous.

Kolx

The only option left for US is to supply the rebels with MANPAD and let the rebels do the work, or take the risk and attack Syrian forces where there is no Russian presence in other areas of Syria to pressure them.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck, I read "Russia shoots down alliance jets over Syria" and my heart stopped for a second.

Ontopic: I guess Russia doesnt want another accident where the SAA gets bombed but all this is really dangerous.

No, the Russians are banking on completely steamrolling Aleppo with a scorched earth policy, in the hopes that they push the tide of war in their favor. Hezbollah keeps saying there will only be a military solution, but I don't see it. Partitioning and political settlement seems like the likely way out.

Fuck Russia.

He literally has argued that the CIA and Al Jazeera were working together in some sort of a conspiracy to pin human rights abuse accusations on Russian troops.

I wouldn't take his opinion on anything Russia-related seriously.

The only option left for US is to supply the rebels with MANPAD and let the rebels do the work, or take the risk and attack Syrian forces where there is no Russian presence in other areas of Syria to pressure them.

MANPAD's would work against SAA helicopters but doubt that they would be able to hit Russian Tu-160 bombers. Also the West would be insane to hand such weapons to Rebels as they can be later used against NATO forces or hell even civilian or commercial airplanes.

Kolx

He literally has argued that the CIA and Al Jazeera were working together in some sort of a conspiracy to pin human rights abuse accusations on Russian troops.

I wouldn't take his opinion on anything Russia-related seriously.

I bet all of these 1000s of videos showing bombs being dropped on residential areas are just made by hollywood to make Russia look bad.

No, the Russians are banking on completely steamrolling Aleppo with a scorched earth policy, in the hopes that they push the tide of war in their favor. Hezbollah keeps saying there will only be a military solution, but I don't see it. Partitioning and political settlement seems like the likely way out.

I think they are going for the long siege.

You dont want to supply MANPADS with how easily weapons change hands among the rebels, You dont want a civilian flight being destroyed by a US supplied MANPAD.

What if you end up with an insurgent group that turns into a new Taliban or Khemer? From their fanatical beliefs, you risk arming people who are unvetted and might turn out to be even worse in the long run.
Arming rebels is a difficult thing because the potential for them to carry out in a way that you'd want is highly risky.

What I'd hope is that the global community comes together to displace civilians in Syria and for them to get out. That country is a completely failed, and this best thing for the civilians is to get them out.

This means throwing resources of all kinds at the bordering nations and invoking diplomacy that ushes the neighbouring states with resources, money, manpower, infrastructure to protect, process and get the Syrians refugees out of there. One could take a book for how vietnamese civilians were vetted in 3-4 months and travelled as refugees to many countries. In Denmark people were greeted in the airport with flags and welcome signs-
We could use some of that mentality with regards to these refugees now, and we could have avoided the cynical fear of many of these people not being refugees but opportunistic migrants.
Money should be thrown at greece that breaks away part of their austerity based problems as a compensation for them to take the load of housing so many refugees.
There is a potential for Greece to cut off some of its debts to Europe and make a difference in the lives of hundreds of thousands of civilians.

For refugees the number one concern for all is to be with their family members. Wherever you go, whenever you look at refugees people want to be together with their family and it tells you something about the importance of vetting people and the logistical significance.
The refugee crisis was greatly worsened by the fact that no plan was in place as millions ran into Europe. The xenophobia, fear and hysterical media that reports on these events as "locusts overrunning" Europe plays into this greatly and shuts down people from taking a stance.
Even in a best case scenario; Assad is defeated, moderate rebels try to insert democracy you're still looking at decades- several decades before Syria could ever be worth coming back to. There will always be people who long for their homeland and who will seek to rebuild as soon as it is safe, but the reality is that many people are not going to go home. The infrastructure is ruined, the economy is in shambles. Refugees will make new lives in their new countries and this is something many of those housing them will not accept, so they try to make life difficult for them or disbarring them.
Which I don't get. treat them with a cold shoulder or not, Syria won't be worth going back to for a long time. Might as well try to look at how these syrians can aid your country.

A big problem is that there is no money in humanitarian aid. There is a lot of money to be made on defense contracts and selling of arms to rebel groups. This might feed into the "everything is a nail to the hammer".

Kolx

MANPAD's would work against SAA helicopters but doubt that they would be able to hit Russian Tu-160 bombers. Also the West would be insane to hand such weapons to Rebels as they can be later used against NATO forces or hell even civilian or commercial airplanes.

You don't want rebels to hit Russian jets with MANPAD supplied by you. It can however down not only helicopter but also Syrian jets as well. There is no one in the rebels who has anything against NATO except Fateh Alsham and even they know it's stupid to attack NATO jets let alone being able to take them down. Rebels are being supplied by foreign countries and these countries can easily pressure them to force Fateh Alsham if it comes down to that.

StayDead

All this bombing and all this conflict is so awful.

The people who suffer at the end of all this are not Assad, not Russia and not the USA. It's the poor Syrians who are going to lose their homes and most likely family members in the cross fire.

Engell

I bet all of these 1000s of videos showing bombs being dropped on residential areas are just made by hollywood to make Russia look bad.

You forgot about the cluster/phosphorus bombs.
The fact is that Russia sees everyone that do not support their goals as ISIS. The first videos Russia showed of their bombings even showed them bombing corn silos and water treatment plant, trying to say it was fuel depots.

Kolx

With relations with US/Nato growing more cordial, I can see them distancing themselves from Russia within the next decade or so.

They're supplying Houthis, Hezb Allah & al hashd al shaabi and all of them think US is an enemy. Hell the first phrase in Houthis slogan is "death to america". Iran consider Israel an enemy and so by extension the US. The only way this could work is if the US decided to distance itself from Israel which I don't think will ever happen. At least not in the near feature.

gloriousd

Neo Member
Russia moved S-300VM "Gladiator" AA systems to Syria a few days ago.

It's one of the most advanced AA systems out there, capable of defeating other long and medium range missiles and aircraft, it's highly mobile and has 200km range.

As some posters above said, they must be really close to taking Aleppo and expected some kind of move from the Alliance. All this tension around the world is... ugh. It's going to be one hell of a century...

KRod-57

Banned
Also, Russia already has anti-air systems in place, which the US would have to take out. Would they really bomb a Russian airforce/military base, for Aleppo?

The question is whether or not we are willing to enforce a no fly zone. If we did enforce a no fly zone then that would indeed mean shooting down planes that refuse to comply.Currently we have a president who is against a no fly zone over Syria, however we have two top presidential candidates who want to enforce a no fly zone over Syria.

Obamas weak foreign policy has let putin grow some balls.

I would sooner argue that it was Bush's stupid foreign policy that created this whole mess to begin with

Kolx

Obamas weak foreign policy has let putin grow some balls.

Obama believed that military action was wrong and that piece deals can work things out. What he didn't understand was that this doesn't work with Putin so well.

Liberty4all

Banned
I don't think most Americans realize how serious the situation between the US and Russia is getting in Syria.

There is a reason Russia conducted nuclear drills involving 40 million people. Their media paints America as a hair trigger away from causing nuclear Armageddon. I think Putin though thinks the US (specifically the Obama administration) is weak. Thus threats like in the OP.

Xando

I would sooner argue that it was Bush's stupid foreign policy that created this whole mess to begin with
That might be true if you talk ISIS or other islamists but the strengthening of Russia is based on Obamas inability to show strength in Syria and Ukraine.

What you see right now is a strong military nation (Russia l) without any counterweight (USA)

weak = not bombing the shit out of everything like previous governments

Obama (and NATO) should have enforced a no fly zone back when the civil war started and russia wasn't interested yet.

Instead they waited and made some half attempt to supply weapons years later

Kolx

weak = not bombing the shit out of everything like previous governments

Or maybe not enforcing a no fly zone when there was no one but the FSA and SAF in there. Obama waited for years without doing anything decisive and now that Russia is in he doesn't have much of a choice.

eot

Banned
Russia moved S-300VM "Gladiator" AA systems to Syria a few days ago.

It's one of the most advanced AA systems out there, capable of defeating other long and medium range missiles and aircraft, it's highly mobile and has 200km range.

As some posters above said, they must be really close to taking Aleppo and expected some kind of move from the Alliance. All this tension around the world is... ugh. It's going to be one hell of a century...
They moved S-400 units there a year ago

I think the US is already doing this to an extend.
The Russians conduct most of their missions at high altitude to avoid them though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom