• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia will shoot down alliance jets over Syria if US launches air strikes on Alassad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRod-57

Banned
That might be true if you talk ISIS or other islamists but the strengthening of Russia is based on Obamas inability to show strength in Syria and Ukraine.

What you see right now is a strong military nation (Russia l) without any counterweight (USA)

Russia is the strong military nation?

wolrd_military_spending_barchart_large.png

We have military bases in how many countries again?

bases444.jpg

Better tell all the airlines to avoid the area before another plane full of tourists gets shot down by trigger happy or drunk Russian SAM operators. That will make quite a few places impossible to fly to like Beirut and some southern Turkish cities but better safe then sorry.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I don't think most Americans realize how serious the situation between the US and Russia is getting in Syria.

There is a reason Russia conducted nuclear drills involving 40 million people. Their media paints America as a hair trigger away from causing nuclear Armageddon. I think Putin though thinks the US (specifically the Obama administration) is weak. Thus threats like in the OP.

Russia's economy is not only becoming state run (up to 70% now) but it's a shit show since it is almost wholly dependent on energy exports.
I'd say keeping the public distracted is a more likely explanation.

Next year they run out of reserve money, and will be forced to either borrow at increasingly high interest rate loans (assuming they can find countries to loan it), or face a devalued currency and inflation.
Oil prices staying like this for a few more years will likely mean the collapse of the country.

Cerium

Ratchet up the sanctions and bankrupt the Russians. They're already cut off from lenders and they'll run out of cash in what, less than a year?

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Obama (and NATO) should have enforced a no fly zone back when the civil war started and russia wasn't interested yet.

Instead they waited and made some half attempt to supply weapons years later

ah, you're right about that - the lack of enforcement on the US side is just baffling.

Cerium

Not sure what you are trying to say here.

What good does it help you having the strongest military and bases all over the world if your president is not willing to use it?
Bush used it and almost bankrupted America. Putin is using his and is on course to bankrupt Russia.

Military adventurism doesn't pay off anymore.

KRod-57

Banned
Not sure what you are trying to say here.

What good does it help you having the strongest military and bases all over the world if your president is not willing to use it?

He's bombed more countries than any other president since Harry Truman.. I'm not sure what you mean by saying he's not willing to use his military. Are you suggesting going to war with Russia?

Cerium

He's bombed more countries than any other president since Harry Truman.. I'm not sure what you mean by saying he's not willing to use his military. Are you suggesting going to war with Russia?

I think he's suggesting a ground war slash occupation.

Xando

I think he's suggesting a ground war slash occupation.

Have you guys read my earlier posts?

As i said before there is not much obama can do now because he was unwilling to enforce a no fly zone when the civil war started and russia wasn't interested in it yet.

Neither was he willing to enforce a no fly zone when assad crossed the famous red line and gassed his people.

Now it is too late anyway because it's only a matter of if not when russia and assad win this civil war.

His unwillingness to do anything against Assad or Ukraine has made Putin increasingly bolder (See Russias canceling of nuke treaties, deployment of S400 or SA-23 in Syria)

KRod-57

Banned
Have you guys read my earlier posts?

As i said before there is not much obama can do now because he was unwilling to enforce a no fly zone when the civil war started and russia wasn't interested in it yet.

Neither was he willing to enforce a no fly zone when assad crossed the famous red line and gassed his people.

Now it is too late anyway because it's only a matter of if not when russia and assad win this civil war.

His unwillingness to do anything against Assad or Ukraine has made Putin increasingly bolder (See Russias canceling of nuke treaties, deployment of S400 or SA-23 in Syria)

So say we had installed a no fly zone over Syria, then what?

Joe

The Syrian coalition consists of almost 20 countries of which USA is the leader. There's no way that Russia, in its recession, and China by association, also on hard economic times, wants to start a war.

This is a political move and a good one. Short term at least. Long term this hurts Russia because the West will extend and strengthen the sanctions and not even Putin is politically invincible from a shitty economy for that long.

Kolx

There won't be anywhere near the causalities in civilians we have right now and there will be some actual peace negotiation now instead? Hell the war might have ended ages ago if a no fly zone was enforced from the beginning.

Joe

Hey Russia's opportunistic that's it. the west creates its own problem

Once again russia is playing chess while to US plays checkers
Intentionally bombing hospitals, destroying critical food and medicine, and resorting to literal barbarism is chess to you?

Shooting down a civilian 300-passenger airplane was such a smart chess move as well I guess?

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member

No barrel bombs which have contributed heavily to the destruction of urban centers, no systematic bombings of bakerys, health services and other vital infrastructure. If you read any developments, you'll understand how much the Syrian airforce has contributed to the suffering and destruction of it's own country.

Intentionally bombing hospitals, destroying critical food and medicine, and resorting to literal barbarism is chess to you?

Shooting down a civilian 300-passenger airplane was such a smart chess move as well I guess?

Russia out maneuvered the US coalition in Syria, that's a fact.

They also annexed Crimea and the West could do nothing.

West is impotent in comparison to Russia, Putin has full support at home and Russia cares not for Western media opinions of it.

Cerium

West is impotent in comparison to Russia, Putin has full support at home and Russia cares not for Western media opinions of it.

You won't address the fact that they're fucking broke. In a year they will literally be starving.

commedieu

Banned
It's funny how silent everyone was for the yemen thread. Where we are letting our ally do a lot worse than assad. We are not a police force. It hasn't worked.

We have no business in syria. Just like Iraq. Just like Afghanistan, just like Libya.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member

He's criticizing your lack of empathy and tactless comparisons to chess. I don't think he disagrees with you on what the Russians are doing.

We have no business in syria. Just like Iraq. Just like Afghanistan, just like Libya.

Tell that to the Russians, Iranians, and hell most of the Arab world. People love sticking their fingers in things.

commedieu

Banned
He's criticizing your lack of empathy and tactless comparisons to chess. I don't think he disagrees with you on what the Russians are doing.

Tell that to the Russians, Iranians, and hell most of the Arab world. People love sticking their fingers in things.

This is childish bullshit that just wastes lives. We aren't any good at sticking fingers in the middle east. No one has been, historically.

None of those things is foreign to US policies. Both the US and Russia are playing stupid dick measuring contests and the rest of the (developing)world is paying for it.

KRod-57

Banned
There won't be anywhere near the causalities in civilians we have right now and there will be some actual peace negotiation now instead? Hell the war might have ended ages ago if a no fly zone was enforced from the beginning.
No barrel bombs which have contributed heavily to the destruction of urban centers, no systematic bombings of bakerys, health services and other vital infrastructure. If you read any developments, you'll understand how much the Syrian airforce has contributed to the suffering and destruction of it's own country.

Well that's all a lovely thought, but then you're expecting a different result to Iraq and Libya where 1. the country does not become our responsibility after our intervention (if you're talking about grounding the Syrian air force, the country then becomes our responsibility), and 2. the conflict is promptly resolved

Then there's also the possibility of us shooting down Russian and Syrian jets that refuse to comply to our no fly zone. You're either expecting the two countries to comply with us, or you're talking about using force against said countries, which could then escalate to full blown war.

Assad is basically giving Syria to Russia after giving it Iran didn't go that well.
After Russia Assad literally got no one left unless he signs a piece treaty with Israel and recognize it.

Hezboloah wasn't sufficient
Iran and the Shia Iraqis and Afghani weren't sufficient, it either Russia or Israel.

Piecake

Russia is a master of the tactic that looks strong in the short term, but is terrible in the long-term.

I didn't compare anything to chess, you have your wires crossed friend.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Well that's all a lovely thought, but then you're expecting a different result to Iraq and Libya where 1. the country does not become our responsibility after our intervention (if you're talking about grounding the Syrian air force, the country then becomes our responsibility), and 2. the conflict is promptly resolved

Then there's also the possibility of us shooting down Russian and Syrian jets that refuse to comply to our no fly zone. You're either expecting the two countries to comply with us, or you're talking about using force against said countries, which could then escalate to full blown war.

Lovely thought? Is that a real retort?

Enforcement of no-fly zones is a viable strategy, especially with the backing of the international community at stake. It wouldn't require a bigger commitment of ground forces. The reality is the Russians have effectively implemented their own air control and through the lack of intervention the rest of the world has ceded control to people who are effectively razing the country and committing war crimes.

I didn't compare anything to chess, you have your wires crossed friend.

My bad, I just noticed the earlier poster's comments.

I'm sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about. Without Hezbollah and the Iranians Assad would have fallen by now. They are doing the real work on the ground with the Tiger division which has become the Syrian army's best division.

Sure, if you mean by "real work" committing war crimes. Let me guess, Nasrallah's a real hero amiright?

AIP

Assad is basically giving Syria to Russia after giving it Iran didn't go that well.
After Russia Assad literally got no one left unless he signs a piece treaty with Israel and recognize it.

Hezboloah wasn't sufficient
Iran and the Shia Iraqis and Afghani weren't sufficient, it either Russia or Israel.

I'm sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about. Without Hezbollah and the Iranians Assad would have fallen by now. They are doing the real work on the ground with the Tiger division which has become the Syrian army's best division.

After Saddam being hung and the lynch mob that got Gaddafi, there was no way Assad was going to just roll over.

The failure of the West to conclude business in a better fashion in those instances has led Assad and the Alawites to fight to the bitter end for survival.

eot

Banned
Russia is the strong military nation?

wolrd_military_spending_barchart_large.png

We have military bases in how many countries again?

bases444.jpg
There are no US troops in Sweden. I doubt there are any in Austria either.

No idea what Russia / China are about on that map.

AIP

Sure, if you mean by "real work" committing war crimes. Let me guess, Nasrallah's a real hero amiright?

You really need to stop being so condescending. I don't understand how one can come to that conclusion to my answer. I suggest you google Battle of Qalamoun and see for yourself what Hezbollah is capable of. Even if Hezbollah is our enemy does that mean you can't be impressed with the work they put in their strategies and tactics?

Let me guess you think al-Julani's a real hero, amiright?

Kolx

There was no Russia to begin with in the first few years, so you only had Syria to deal with and considering their fleet of aircrafts it'd have been easy to force them not to fly.

KRod-57

Banned
This map is bullshit. There are no bases in Ireland North or South.

Ireland has at least 1 US "Lily pad" which is essentially a miniature base

There are no US troops in Sweden. I doubt there are any in Austria either.

No idea what Russia / China are about on that map.

If I'm being completely honest, I do not know what the pink in that map represents seeing how those are countries without US bases. Also, the US does in fact have a base in Australia

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ary-presence-in-australias-northern-territory

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
You really need to stop being so condescending. I don't understand how one can come to that conclusion to my answer. I suggest you google Battle of Qalamoun and see for yourself what Hezbollah is capable of. Even if Hezbollah is our enemy does that mean you can't be impressed with the work they put in their strategies and tactics?

Let me guess you think al-Julani's a real hero, amiright?

Sorry, name dropping divisions within Syria's own army doesn't do much for me. I have Hezbollah's "Party of God" propaganda in my face every day of the week - so their claims of "divine" victories (aka 2006) and other interventions such as Qalamoun mean little to me. Things are clear here and despite their best intentions to hide it, the coffins of their dead keep rolling in week after week from Syria. Hezbollah has worked great in the past with guerrilla tactics (like hiding their troops and launchpads in our villages) against a modern enemy, but they are at an obvious stalemate here. I can also talk about all the numerous atrocities they are committing against Sunni villages, but something tells me that you're not going to take me that seriously.

I don't think much of most of Syria's current rebels either - Julani included. The regime and Hezbollah have ensured that most of the moderation was wiped out in the early days.

Russia is trying to start a ton of shit before the election. Ended Plutonium deal with the US. Beginning a buildup of more Nukes in direct disregard for disarmament agreements.

Russia doesn't need more nukes, they have enough to blow up the entire planet a few times if needed. That was a political statement after USA bombed Syrian forces and killed more than 60 of them.

KRod-57

Banned
There was no Russia to begin with in the first few years, so you only had Syria to deal with and considering their fleet of aircrafts it'd have been easy to force them not to fly.

Russia didn't get directly involved until recently, however they have been in alliance and have been providing aid to the Syrian government since the beginning of the war.. but I think you're missing the broader issue, and that is the notion of Russia standing by while we take control of Syria. Then there's the factor that if Syria were non-compliant, we would essentially be moving towards war against their government. So then we're stuck in another conflict with no real end in site

The dream is if we were to get involved that we would be able to put an end to the war once and for all. Which is wishful thinking to say the least considering our success to putting a close to our military conflicts over the past 15 years. When we get involved militarily we need to consider the consequences of things when they do not go as we plan... which is the problem we face in Iraq, Libya, Yemen, and Afghanistan right now

Today is the 15th anniversary of the war in Afghanistan btw. We still don't have an exit plan

darkace

Banned
You know what also helps noone? Defending a piece of shit who intentially gasses and bombs civilians.

Fuck Russia.

Yea if only we could just fight on the side of the good guys in this conflict.

When did Russia go off the deep end again?
It seemed like they were doing better after the Soviet Union collapsed.
What are they even chasing anymore?

There was a really good article recently on this in the Atlantic, I think. Putin wanted to work closely with the US after he won election and the US begun of the war on terror, but differing foreign policy goals and mistakes from both sides has seen the relationship grow more estranged as time goes on.

dan2026

Mung

In what way were they doing better? Their entire economy and society collapsed in the 1990s. Putin is loved in Russia because he stabilised the country and restored the economy when he came to power.

zugzug

I love how the GAF user, says 'will' in his title, and the quoted source says 'could' that investigative fear mongering continues on stronk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom