• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia will shoot down alliance jets over Syria if US launches air strikes on Alassad

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmfdmpig

I love how things always become "accidental" when our side fucks up.
somehow that makes one feel warm and cozy inside.

The Syrian Observatory of Human Rights, while not a perfect source, lists the following for the US and Russia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Syrian_Civil_War
The US:
killed 6,213 people across Syria, of which:
5,359 dead were ISIL fighters,
147 Al-Nusra Front militants and other rebels,
90 government soldiers and
617 civilians.

Russia:
killed 9,364 people, of which:
2,746 were ISIL fighters,
2,814 militants from the Al-Qaeda affiliate al-Nusra Front and other rebel forces and 3,804 civilians.

So the US killed 9 ISIL/Al-Nusra militants per civilian (not making it OK to kill any civilians) while the Russians killed 1.5 militants per civilian.

It's not really comparable.

It's a whoopsy daisy accident when "the good guys" do it and an inhumane war crime when Russia does it.

It's not OK when either does it, but it's important to look at the regularity in which its done before trying to make the two seem equivalent when they're not at all.

TarNaru33

Banned
I love how things always become "accidental" when our side fucks up.
somehow that makes one feel warm and cozy inside.

Do people read their own posts to see how stupid it is before actually clicking submit?

No one here is or has said that it makes them feel better knowing deaths are caused by accident, however you can not ignore the context in which those deaths occurred. While death is death, an accident that isn't very frequent in terms of scale is morally better than intentionally or indiscriminate actions that results in death.

You would seriously equate a person who accidentally kill someone to another who kill someone intentionally and have no care at all for it?

darkace

Banned
Lmao, "run of the mill"

Way to sugar coat a turd

Jesus people get so precious over nothing here. Clearly I was attempting to paint Assad in a positive light, not highlight how terrible ISIS are.

Assad is a dictatorial lunatic. ISIS would be far, far worse if they had the resources of a state behind them.

Jesus people get so precious over nothing here. Clearly I was attempting to paint Assad in a positive light, not highlight how terrible ISIS are.

Nah man, I get what you where saying. ISIS wins the douchebag competition next to Assad

But choice of words matter, when you say "run of the mill" it implies normal

Nothing

I repeat, nothing is normal about the atrocities committed by Assad.

my reply to your earlier post is just a little ribbing to get your attention

Dingens

Do people read their own posts to see how stupid it is before actually clicking submit?

No one here is or has said that it makes them feel better knowing deaths are caused by accident, however you can not ignore the context in which those deaths occurred. While death is death, an accident that isn't very frequent in terms of scale is morally better than intentionally or indiscriminate actions that results in death.

You would seriously equate a person who accidentally kill someone to another who kill someone intentionally and have no care at all for it?

I guess you missed the point

who defines what is an accident and what is intentionally? If our side claims it was an accident, it is an accident, if the other side claims it was an accident, it is not.
When they fuck up, we are quick to demand an independent investigation. When we fuck up, an internal investigation will suffice (see kuduz)

basically, the media and the public, consciously or unconsciously shape the discourse. And in a war situation, a good-guy bias is inherent. Let's assume for example a news paper releases two nearly identical articles about Obama and Putin concerning some ridiculous subject, the only difference is the name of the actor. Which one would the general public belief? the one where Obama drove over some kittens and on his way to the supermarket or the one where Putin drove over some kittens and laughed diabolically?

As I said before, I'm going to wait at least another 10 years before I will read up on what REALLY happened the last couple of years. Because the information that is available now is dubious at best, and soaked with propaganda at worst.

so excuse me if I do not believe claims, that are based on sources like the one below

The Syrian Observatory of Human Rights, while not a perfect source[...]

correct, it is not.

vikki

Can't we just send a parade of cheap unarmed drones to get them to waste money on shooting down said drones?

blackjaw

A lot of armchair strategists in this thread.

Playing CIV4 does not make one versed on armed conflict, use of force or strategic avoidance.

These folks have it covered. WOLVERINES!!

red-dawn-1984-cast-photo.jpg

jesus - imagine if the first visitors from outer space decide to enter Syria's airspace and Russia kills our one chance of meeting aliens...starting not world war 3, but Galaxy War I

The Syrian Observatory of Human Rights, while not a perfect source, lists the following for the US and Russia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Syrian_Civil_War
The US:
killed 6,213 people across Syria, of which:
5,359 dead were ISIL fighters,
147 Al-Nusra Front militants and other rebels,
90 government soldiers and
617 civilians.

Russia:
killed 9,364 people, of which:
2,746 were ISIL fighters,
2,814 militants from the Al-Qaeda affiliate al-Nusra Front and other rebel forces and 3,804 civilians.

So the US killed 9 ISIL/Al-Nusra militants per civilian (not making it OK to kill any civilians) while the Russians killed 1.5 militants per civilian.

It's not really comparable.

It's not OK when either does it, but it's important to look at the regularity in which its done before trying to make the two seem equivalent when they're not at all.

Everytime someone uses these guys i cringe, anyways history is going to judge this whole conflict very badly for everyone.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
It's funny how silent everyone was for the yemen thread. Where we are letting our ally do a lot worse than assad. We are not a police force. It hasn't worked.

We have no business in syria. Just like Iraq. Just like Afghanistan, just like Libya.

Yup, painfully obvious to see the agenda of certain individuals on Neogaf. I didn't see any outrage here when the Saudis bombed a well and killed over a dozen innocent civilians.

Sure, argue your point against the Syrian government and Assad, but don't falsely paint your argument based on humanitarian grounds.

After Saddam being hung and the lynch mob that got Gaddafi, there was no way Assad was going to just roll over.

The failure of the West to conclude business in a better fashion in those instances has led Assad and the Alawites to fight to the bitter end for survival.

The "no fly zone" enacted in Libya(with Russia's approval was actually the start of this mistrust of the West by Russia and Russian adventurism. The West essentially tricked Russia into believing that they were enacting a no fly zone for humanitarian reasons when the actual purpose of it was to take military action against Gaddafi and to give the rebels an advantage.

kmfdmpig

Everytime someone uses these guys i cringe, anyways history is going to judge this whole conflict very badly for everyone.

Their numbers are not so different from other sources such as the UN, Syrian doctor reports, etc...

No one else, as far as I can tell, provides a breakdown based on cause, but it certainly appears that the narrative that Russia is much less discriminate in its air campaign is pretty consistent across all of the sources.

Yup, painfully obvious to see the agenda of certain individuals on Neogaf. I didn't see any outrage here when the Saudis bombed a well and killed over a dozen innocent civilians.

Sure, argue your point against the Syrian government and Assad, but don't falsely paint your argument based on humanitarian grounds.

The "no fly zone" enacted in Libya(with Russia's approval was actually the start of this mistrust of the West by Russia and Russian adventurism. The West essentially tricked Russia into believing that they were enacting a no-fly zone for humanitarian reasons when the actual purpose of it was to take military action against Gaddafi and to give the rebels an advantage.

This has always been my biggest issue with the US government and many of the citizens in this country. Their false proclamations of protecting life which under scrutiny is never ever the case. We support militants who are damn near terrorists in Syria but Russia can't support Rebels in Ukraine. We either inact sanctions or offer protests whenever a country that is not part of the Wests club does something that the West itself does. Isreal kills 2 and a half thousand people in less than two months? "well they are defending themselves". Russia kills thousands of militants (and depending who you ask, thousands of civilians too) and they are mudurous, inhume, war criminals. The hypocrisy is not the biggest issue, to me what i always find egregious is the willingness for a supposedly educated populace to buy that hypocrisy. And its not like the hypocrisy is not evident, many in this thread have even mentioned but its readily brushed aside for the much more bearable "fuck russia" mantra. This new cold war could turn hot because we have a government that is drunk with its own power over the world and a populace ignorant to the realities of the world. Thats why some people in this thread are suggesting with a straight face that we enact a no-fly zone in Syria.

Russia will enforce their own no-fly zone, apparently to the surprise of Americans, who seem to have forgotten that they're not the only state in the world with regional ambitions and alliances.

Dubbed, all that may be true of Assad - but it is absolutely going to be true of any state facing a clear existential threat. The Syrian government is not going to allow a multinational extremist group exist within its borders. It will do whatever it can to defeat its enemy.

lawnchair

Banned
i dont give two shits about what happens in a civil war in syria. why should my country be involved? why should my tax money go to this murderous bullshit? why risk ww3? let russia do what they want.

Russia will enforce their own no-fly zone, apparently to the surprise of Americans, who seem to have forgotten that they're not the only state in the world with regional ambitions and alliances.

Dubbed, all that may be true of Assad - but it is absolutely going to be true of any state facing a clear existential threat. The Syrian government is not going to allow a multinational extremist group exist within its borders. It will do whatever it can to defeat its enemy.

Assad is already deeply in bed with Hezbollah. Plus he has already murdered 200k+ of his own people and will have no means, much less will to rebuild what is left of Syria. As long as Assad is in power Syria will always be a failed state and thus a threat to regional countries. He also will not be able to control Syria as a whole, Russia cannot sustain it's state as Assad's airpower forever and the resentment built up will continue to fester.

Thinking Assad "winning" is a good outcome is very naive, we'll be back in 5 years wondering how another ISIS has formed.

Pomerlaw

I don't think most Americans realize how serious the situation between the US and Russia is getting in Syria.

There is a reason Russia conducted nuclear drills involving 40 million people. Their media paints America as a hair trigger away from causing nuclear Armageddon. I think Putin though thinks the US (specifically the Obama administration) is weak. Thus threats like in the OP.

That nuclear drill had been planned for a long time.

I'd say no to a no fly zone and american bombings. Assad is a tyrant, but the rebels are pretty dangerous too. Conflict with Russia would be ugly.

They should sanction Syria & Russia. Hit them where it hurts.

Putin is going to end up hurting his country.

I can't even fathom how Putin/Assad supporters think

to support basic genocide they literally are on the verge of insanity yet they disgustingly don't know it

Can't we just send a parade of cheap unarmed drones to get them to waste money on shooting down said drones?
Some people really do have no grip on the reality of political conflict.

to support basic genocide they literally are on the verge of insanity yet they disgustingly don't know it
The problem is that there's not only one party that's genocidal.

Sijil

Excuse me but where do you live? Are you constantly surrounded by lunatics who threaten to behead you because you're a Shia? Have you ever witnessed the horrific aftermath of a suicide car bomb? No? Then you don't get to judge.

I live here and you don't, it's as simple as that. Assad is a thug and a brutal dictator but his army and Putin's are the only thing standing between me, my family and an armed gang of lunatics.

Assad is already deeply in bed with Hezbollah. Plus he has already murdered 200k+ of his own people and will have no means, much less will to rebuild what is left of Syria. As long as Assad is in power Syria will always be a failed state and thus a threat to regional countries. He also will not be able to control Syria as a whole, Russia cannot sustain it's state as Assad's airpower forever and the resentment built up will continue to fester.

Thinking Assad "winning" is a good outcome is very naive, we'll be back in 5 years wondering how another ISIS has formed.

Oh please do tell, if Assad were to be forcibly removed who will take over? A secular democratic all encompassing government? Or a repeat of the Afghan, Libyan scenario? Don't be so naive. If there are any secular democratic "rebel" forces on the ground, which there aren't, they are vastly dwarfed by the islamist from AQ inspired (JFS), to MB inspired (Ahrar) to ISIS inspired (JQ) and none of them would acquiesce to a democratic secular state.

The only government who can control a multi religious Syria is Assad's, proof is in Lattakia, Tartus, Damascus and all the regions under his control where people of all faiths coexists as opposed to rebel controlled areas where minorities have fled from.

Excuse me but where do you live? Are you constantly surrounded by lunatics who threaten to behead you because you're a Shia? Have you ever witnessed the horrific aftermath of a suicide car bomb? No? Then you don't get to judge.

Enough of your BULLSHIT okay

A) SAA forces behead people
B) Assad isn't Secular and he has tons of foreign troops from SHIA miltias, to Iranian soldiers, to Hezbollah, etc... are fighting for him
C) He killed More then ISIS but him and ISIS are both SHIT
D) Assad started this craziness by firing at protesters, arresting civilians in torture prisons, freeing criminals and terrorist from his jails and causing diaspora

DON'T COME TO ME WITH YOUR GARBAGE NONSENSE that you drivel here and there trying to justify his genocide

why is there Chaos? Multiple reasons and Assad the SCUMBAG is one of them

you can't come in and justify murdering people because you blame another group of a similar sectarian people and then try and whitewash the future crimes that the other sectarian people will do to innocents and then cry a river if some people turn evil because of it

Sami+

It won't happen but as a Syrian I truly wish the worst misery upon ISIS, Assad, and Putin. It's astounding and genuinely depressing how hopeless this situation has become because of the whole lot of them.

Is Putin trying to start a second Cold War here or what?

B) Assad isn't Secular and he has tons of foreign troops from SHIA miltias, to Iranian soldiers, to Hezbollah, etc... are fighting for him
D) Assad started this craziness by firing at protesters, arresting civilians in torture prisons, freeing criminals and terrorist from his jails and causing diaspora

DON'T COME TO ME WITH YOUR GARBAGE NONSENSE that you drivel here and there trying to justify his genocide

you can't come in and justify murdering people because you blame another group of a similar sectarian people and then try and whitewash the future crimes that the other sectarian people will do to innocents and then cry a river if some people turn evil because of it

Cursing at people doesn't really help you argument. Besides, he's from the region and therefore has on the ground and firsthand knowledge compared to your western perspective.

Sijil

What you call BULLSHIT is daily life here. You have the luxury of not being at risk, of living comfortably thousands of miles away from danger, sipping your tea fighting the good fight with your keyboard, of not being threatened, you have the luxury of not witnessing the carnage first hand, of not walking down the street fearing that any car parked next to you might be a car bomb. I DON'T so dealt with it, you don't get to judge.

All I've seen are AQ and ISIS corpses being beheaded not live prisoners. SAA beheading a corpse as an act revenge is not the same as beheading someone because he was deemed an infidel.

He has tons of Christians, Druze, Alawites AND SUNNIS aside from Shia, his foreign minister is Sunni, his head of political security is a Sunni, is Chief of Staff and minister of defense is a Sunni, his political advisor is a sunni. How many minorities fight for the rebels? None.

C'est la guerre. Make no mistake your "rebels" would be killing a lot more if they had access to the firepower Assad has.

Yeah he did and I have no love for Assad for what he did and what he is, but now shit already hit the fan, and it's either him or the lunatics that fight him, I choose the bastard that won't cut my head off because I'm a Shia, like I said I don't have your luxury to argue about ethics in war while sitting comfortably a thousand miles away.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
i dont give two shits about what happens in a civil war in syria. why should my country be involved? why should my tax money go to this murderous bullshit? why risk ww3? let russia do what they want.

Oh my sweet summer child, do you really believe that America is a self sufficient island that operates without vital trade and natural resources from the rest of the world?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Cursing at people doesn't really help you argument. Besides, he's from the region and therefore has on the ground and firsthand knowledge compared to your western perspective.

He is also often a Russian apologist. So, I can understand the frustration.

Yeah he did and I have no love for Assad for what he did and what he is, but now shit already hit the fan, and it's either him or the lunatics that fight him, I choose the bastard that won't cut my head off because I'm a Shia, like I said I don't have your luxury to argue about ethics in war while sitting comfortably a thousand miles away.

right now rebels are fighting each other Jund al-Aqsa, Faylaq al-Sham, Ahrar al-Sham, Al-Nusra , etc. There is no chance they can form an stable goverment. I can see why people prefer the relative stability the Syrian goverment provides.

Reckheim

I don't think most Americans realize how serious the situation between the US and Russia is getting in Syria.

There is a reason Russia conducted nuclear drills involving 40 million people. Their media paints America as a hair trigger away from causing nuclear Armageddon. I think Putin though thinks the US (specifically the Obama administration) is weak. Thus threats like in the OP.

Lets not pretend the US media isn't doing to the same shit.

Fear keeps the votes coming in.

The Russian economy is already contracting because of oil price crash and sanctions and cash reserves are quickly depleting. Russian citizens are already feeling it in their daily lives and it will get worse.
Mr. Putin will need a very big distraction to avoid social unrest.

Syriel

How on earth is this Russias fault?
USA wants to bomb all utilities, tv stations, radio station and other shit like they did in Serbia.. it helps noone turning Syria into Libya

Russia is supporting govt troops which have directly bombed hospitals.

The US wants them to knock that shit off and go back to a ceasefire.

Unless you think that bombing hospitals is a good thing?

Sijil

right now rebels are fighting each other Jund al-Aqsa, Faylaq al-Sham, Ahrar al-Sham, Al-Nusra , etc. There is no chance they can form an stable goverment. I can see why people prefer the relative stability the Syrian goverment provides.

Hope they eat each other up, Jund Al Aqsa are notorious for slaughtering and beheading SAA soldiers alive.

Russia is supporting govt troops which have directly bombed hospitals.

The US wants them to knock that shit off and go back to a ceasefire.

Unless you think that bombing hospitals is a good thing?

A ceasefire that doesn't work because the US has proven incapable of influencing any meaningful group on the ground. The largest groups rejected the ceasefire day one.

Would be funny if a ceasefire actually holds, means the US can actually influence JN and Ahrar which are AlQaeda and Muslim Brotherhood in Syria respectively and close allies.

I live here and you don't, it's as simple as that. Assad is a thug and a brutal dictator but his army and Putin's are the only thing standing between me, my family and an armed gang of lunatics.

Oh please do tell, if Assad were to be forcibly removed who will take over? A secular democratic all encompassing government? Or a repeat of the Afghan, Libyan scenario? Don't be so naive. If there are any secular democratic "rebel" forces on the ground, which there aren't, they are vastly dwarfed by the islamist from AQ inspired (JFS), to MB inspired (Ahrar) to ISIS inspired (JQ) and none of them would acquiesce to a democratic secular state.

The only government who can control a multi religious Syria is Assad's, proof is in Lattakia, Tartus, Damascus and all the regions under his control where people of all faiths coexists as opposed to rebel controlled areas where minorities have fled from.

When Assad gets deposed it isn't a handover. We have to be real and see that Syria is no longer Syria and that rebuilding and stability will not be a 5-10 year job. It would be a 20yr plan at least to make it functional. It would need local disarmament and regional and multilateral peacekeeping for the foreseeable future. Either rebuild and reform a federal government after regional areas are rebuilt or form smaller countries with a cooperative peacekeeping. Thinking Assad can or will rebuild is naive at best.

Assad can only maintain power through killing and he would be on the other end of the barrel sooner or later. As long as he is in power peace cannot return.

What you call BULLSHIT is daily life here. You have the luxury of not being at risk, of living comfortably thousands of miles away from danger, sipping your tea fighting the good fight with your keyboard, of not being threatened, you have the luxury of not witnessing the carnage first hand, of not walking down the street fearing that any car parked next to you might be a car bomb. I DON'T so dealt with it, you don't get to judge.

All I've seen are AQ and ISIS corpses being beheaded not live prisoners. SAA beheading a corpse as an act revenge is not the same as beheading someone because he was deemed an infidel.

He has tons of Christians, Druze, Alawites AND SUNNIS aside from Shia, his foreign minister is Sunni, his head of political security is a Sunni, is Chief of Staff and minister of defense is a Sunni, his political advisor is a sunni. How many minorities fight for the rebels? None.

C'est la guerre. Make no mistake your "rebels" would be killing a lot more if they had access to the firepower Assad has.

My point still stands... if you had an election including all Syrian, people in the country and people who fled the country,

Assad would lose by a landslide.

Which leads to the next point... when a tyrant like that is being considered the viable option then what are you supporting?

More then 80% despise him and so, does he have the right to rule them?

People keep on tossing in Libya as an example but Libya right now is not in no where near the large scale death we are seeing in Syria.

You need to not ignore the elephant in the room... Assad like ISIS and AQ needs to be dealt with.

Post that, we can focus on unifying things and reaching mental, economical and physical stability but when people are saying that allowing Assad to rule is the only sane option then that is indeed lunacy.

You know what Assad wants to do? He massacres a city, makes them surrender, forces them to leave to the next city, places new foreign loyal inhabitants there to leave on illegal land and then rinse and repeat.

How is that logical? How is it ethical?

How it is reasonable and sane?

Basically redrawing a demographic map and then replying Oh those people don't deserve their lives since the minority who salutes to Assad will be at peace.

That isn't reasoning and that isn't a option that is faulty ignorance to justify a means by doing worse. Putting oneself above others because of some revenge obsession that doesn't even involve the innocents that would suffer due to people's so called egos.

That is literally making a future with a stateless people and a written genocide on history books that WE allowed to happen.

sphagnum

Banned
Nazis rarely post on left-leaning forums though!

I only have to see Nazis on Reddit and sometimes Twitter.

Tankies do sometimes post on left-leaning forums and it's fucking horrible.

Well they get banned fast when they do. Tankies at least have good intentions, just a horrible understanding of history and what works and what doesnt.

Valhelm

contribute something
Tankies are the worst people in the world and should be exiled to Eastern Aleppo.

Sorry if that offends you.

Putin's Western fanclub of contrarian liberals and alt-right children don't deserve to be called tankies.

A tankie is a socialist who thinks Soviet authoritarianism was acceptable. The word isn't applicable to supporters of Russia's current government.

sphagnum

Banned
Putin's Western fanclub of contrarian liberals and alt-right children don't deserve to be called tankies.

A tankie is a socialist who thinks Soviet authoritarianism was acceptable. The word isn't applicable to supporters of Russia's current government.

To be fair, it seems like a lot of "anti-revisionists" have hopped on to the Putin train because of anti-NATO sentiment. There is significant crossover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom