• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia will shoot down alliance jets over Syria if US launches air strikes on Alassad

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIP

Sorry, name dropping divisions within Syria's own army doesn't do much for me. I have Hezbollah's "Party of God" propaganda in my face every day of the week - so their claims of "divine" victories (aka 2006) and other interventions such as Qalamoun mean little to me. Things are clear here and despite their best intentions to hide it, the coffins of their dead keep rolling in week after week from Syria. Hezbollah has worked great in the past with guerrilla tactics (like hiding their troops and launchpads in our villages) against a modern enemy, but they are at an obvious stalemate here. I can also talk about all the numerous atrocities they are committing against Sunni villages, but something tells me that you're not going to take me that seriously.

I don't think much of most of Syria's current rebels either - Julani included. The regime and Hezbollah have ensured that most of the moderation was wiped out in the early days.

There is no denying that Hezbollah's losses are enormous but it's still the most competent force on the battlefield at the moment. I've seen far too many spray and pray videos in this conflict by the FSA and SAA to be taken nothing more but a joke while Hezbollah conduct them self quite professionally regardless what you think about it. I am well aware about the atrocities they are committing but my point still stands, the most competent force in this war is Hezbollah. When your enemy send hordes of men to die of course you'll reach a stalemate.

I still don't know what you're arguing about? Cause I sure don't have any interest in this conflict except from a military point of view. There are no winners in the this conflict everyone involved have already lost. Syria will never be the same again and the best solution is to split up Syria.

I agree with your last statement. "We, the west" should have acted when the conflict was still in the early days when the moderate/secular opposition had a fighting chance, now it's an undoable clusterfuck with no end in sight...

They need that warm water port. Otherwise the Bosphorus could easily be blockaded and their Baltic Sea ports freeze in the winter.

When the Bosphorus is blocked and Russia is in a de facto state of war with NATO that little pier in Syria is not going to make any difference. Russia is not being cornered here by agressors, they are the agressor.

fanboi

Banned
When the Bosphorus is blocked and Russia is in a de facto state of war with NATO that little pier in Syria is not going to make any difference. Russia is not being cornered here by agressors, they are the agressor.

Now I will do something I don't believe in, but for the sake of discussion, isn't Russia cornered? What is the argument against this? (I Believe the forces deployed in Europé was the lowest ever before Crimea right?)

u-s-bases-near-russia.jpg

Vastag

If I'm being completely honest, I do not know what the pink in that map represents seeing how those are countries without US bases. [/url]

Those troops are probably the inspectors involved in New START or similar treaties (like the regular bilateral flights over nuclear installations). If that counts, then Russia also has troops deployed in the US.

Mung

NATO expanded aggressively into Russia's neighbourhood even when the two sides were at 'peace'. Of course they are being cornered.

Dingens

MANPAD's would work against SAA helicopters but doubt that they would be able to hit Russian Tu-160 bombers. Also the West would be insane to hand such weapons to Rebels as they can be later used against NATO forces or hell even civilian or commercial airplanes.

ah come on... that may backfire once or twice... but the 23rd time's the charm, right?

It's funny how silent everyone was for the yemen thread. Where we are letting our ally do a lot worse than assad. We are not a police force. It hasn't worked.

We have no business in syria. Just like Iraq. Just like Afghanistan, just like Libya.

well yemen is not interesting because the new old-bad guy is not involved. (also it doesn't fit the good guy narrative I guess)

None of those things is foreign to US policies. Both the US and Russia are playing stupid dick measuring contests and the rest of the (developing)world is paying for it.

yeah... but as this thread demonstrates once again in all its glory, propaganda works wonderfully. Its kinda bizarre how many people honestly belief to be on the moral high ground/good side in this by supporting the US/allies (in this case). If I remember correctly, only one party in this conflict had a UN mandate, the other one is waging war illegally. You'll never guess which one.

But with all propaganda wars, I'd rather wait another ~10 to 15 years before I start believing anything any side claims. I'm sure it's going to be an interesting read.

After Saddam being hung and the lynch mob that got Gaddafi, there was no way Assad was going to just roll over.

The failure of the West to conclude business in a better fashion in those instances has led Assad and the Alawites to fight to the bitter end for survival.

actually Russia already prepared a deal for Assad to step down in an orderly fashion in 2012, but "the west" ignored the offer as they believed that their lovely rebels would get rid of Assad anyway.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/15/west-ignored-russian-offer-in-2012-to-have-syrias-assad-step-aside

Now this is what I'd call the moral low ground...

Vastag

NATO has expanded aggressively into Russia's neighbourhood even when the two sides were at 'peace'. Of course they are being cornered.

That is a biased narrative. Poland, the baltic nations, Romania, Bulgaria, etc. all asked on their own to be part of the NATO, they were not included against their will or aggressively on the alliance. They were affraid of Russia, and seeing what happened in Ukraine (or Moldova), they were right to be afraid.

Anyways, this announcement is only part of the negotiation between Russia and the US, is the response to the US leaking that they might attack Assads forces to stop their push in Aleppo. They are not going to start shooting each other anytime soon, both countries are only trying to improve their bargaining position when they return to the table

NATO expanded aggressively into Russia's neighbourhood even when the two sides were at 'peace'. Of course they are being cornered.

Independent countries choosing to join NATO (without armed Little Green Men on the streets to make sure they decide the right way) <> 'expanding agressively'. It's only agression if you consider all of Eastern Europe your own.

And that map is ancient, most of those bases close to Russia have been closed years ago. The countries asked them to leave and they did. Imagine that !

Let's go through this little joke of a map, starting from the top.

There is a base in the middle of the Barents Sea that can only be Bear Island, population 9. Maybe there is a secret base there no one knows about.

Then there are US BASE flags in Norway, the UK, Germany, Spain, Turkey and Italy. These have all been NATO members for decades.

Going by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_military_bases the bases in Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzistan and Uzbekistan are no longer in existence.

South Korea and Japan have US bases and have had them for decades.

In the Philippines the Subic Bay base has been closed since 1991.

In Thailand a Thai airbase allows US planes to refuel with a few hundred support staff stationed there.

Morocco had an airfield designated as a fallback landing site for the Space Shuttle, the other US bases were closed in the early 1960's.

Saudi Arabia has about 300 support troops at a Saudi base. Their role is apparently to hold up 3 giant US flags to scare Russia. Egypt has a similar number.

According to the map there is a US base in Brunei but this is kept very secret. There is a British training camp there.

The flag in Somalia is placed wrong, there is a US base in Djibouti.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't know what you're arguing about? Cause I sure don't have any interest in this conflict except from a military point of view. There are no winners in the this conflict everyone involved have already lost. Syria will never be the same again and the best solution is to split up Syria.

I agree with your last statement. "We, the west" should have acted when the conflict was still in the early days when the moderate/secular opposition had a fighting chance, now it's an undoable clusterfuck with no end in sight...

I think I was in part presumptuous and triggered by your initial comments, I've had one too many conversations with supporters of said party and the conversation often devolved into propaganda lists of accomplishments and so on. The crimes in Syria upset me deeply on a personal level. Sorry to lump you in.

actually Russia already prepared a deal for Assad to step down in an orderly fashion in 2012, but "the west" ignored the offer as they believed that their lovely rebels would get rid of Assad anyway.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...sad-step-aside

Now this is what I'd call the moral low ground...

The Baath party would have never accepted such a deal - even if the Russians had offered it, I sincerely believe that it would have never gone through. The man has an ego that's apparently worth hundreds of thousands of lives and an entire country. I don't discount that the west did not accept in the hopes of displacing him on their terms and conditions.

Sijil

Good, last time the SAA was bombed in Deir Ez Zor, by "mistake", ISIS advanced towards the city. What a joke, turning the USAF into Alqaeda's air force in Aleppo.

As for the negotiations, to hell with it. The US has proven to be ineffective at influencing anyone on the ground, last year when there was a ceasefire, the "rebels" took advantage of the gov compliance and retook several towns in south Aleppo. With the least ceasefire "rebels" refused to disengage from the Castello road in Aleppo.

So honestly if the US cannot influence anyone on the ground then they're a useless negotiating partner and if they somehow managed to influence them, then would they be implicitly admitting to having ties to Nusra front?

Coxy100

Banned
2016 sucks. All of these problems in Syria (it's heart breaking), our Brexit vote and countless legends of celebrities passing away too.

2016 is one harsh year.

Lucumo

How on earth is this Russias fault?
USA wants to bomb all utilities, tv stations, radio station and other shit like they did in Serbia.. it helps noone turning Syria into Libya

Don't forget that the US started this by working to incite a coup 10 years ago.

StayDead

Now I will do something I don't believe in, but for the sake of discussion, isn't Russia cornered? What is the argument against this? (I Believe the forces deployed in Europé was the lowest ever before Crimea right?)

That reminds me of the image of American Air bases around the borders of Iran that was posted when America were calling Iran the aggressors in everything. Cant remember if that was accurate.

2016 sucks. All of these problems in Syria (it's heart breaking), our Brexit vote and countless legends of celebrities passing away too.

2016 is one harsh year.
On the bright side, Mosul should be conquered back this year, therefore, ISIL is going to be de-facto defeated in Iraq.

But post-ISIL time is going to be complicated anyway.

Yea, they should instead suck the cocks of those moderate, child-beheading islamist rebels and continue arming them, right? As usual manipulative reporting doing its' job perfectly.

Assad is far worse, by multitudes than any extremist group or ISIS in this conflict.

Call thier bluff. Let them invoke Article 5, they backed down after provoking Turkey and they would do the same.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
It's funny how silent everyone was for the yemen thread. Where we are letting our ally do a lot worse than assad. We are not a police force. It hasn't worked.

We have no business in syria. Just like Iraq. Just like Afghanistan, just like Libya.

Your purity test on the US is bullshit. You lack a massive understanding about geopolitics. I've seen you post for a good year now. Fuck Russia.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Assad is far worse, by multitudes than any extremist group or ISIS in this conflict.
Assad has done worse because he's had the capability to do worse. If he wins, I don't expect a genocide, just more horrible garden-variety dictatorial oppression. If ISIS wins, I can't say the same; things would be far, far worse.

Jackpot

Banned

That reminds me of the image of American Air bases around the borders of Iran that was posted when America were calling Iran the aggressors in everything. Cant remember if that was accurate.

World police indeed.

That map isn't real...

Sijil

Assad is worse my ass, at least he doesn't go beheading people left and right on account of their religious confession. The SAA is comprised of Sunnis, Shia, Alawites, Druze and Christians. Assad's Syria while a brutal dictatorship remains secular as opposed to the Syria envisioned by the likes of Ahrar Al Sham or JFS or the other dominant groups where Sunni Sharia law prevails and everyone who doesn't abide by it is an infidel.

Go ahead live a week in Tartus or Latakia then go to Raqqa or Idlib and then tell me who's worse.

No, he's not. ISIS are practically a fanatical death cult. Assad is a run of the mill dictator. ISIS with the arsenal of a state behind it would be terrifying.

Assad indiscriminately bombs populations with barrel bombs

Is using starvation as a weapon both (with Russian air strikes) denying aid and targeting convoys and aid stations

Bombing hospitals and aid stations (with Russian help)

Uses chemical weapons, cluster munitions, and White Phosphorus in civilian areas

Holds untold amounts in prisons with less than acceptable conditions for cattle much less humans

Has killed over 200k in the conflict with an estimated 60k in his prisons

Reduced major cities to rubble with no plan or intent to rebuild

Displaced ~8 million people internally and externally

No he is far worse than a "run of the mill" dictator and demonstrably worse than ISIS at this point.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
No, he's not. ISIS are practically a fanatical death cult. Assad is a run of the mill dictator. ISIS with the arsenal of a state behind it would be terrifying.

Assad is definitively l not ideologically worse than ISIS, but then again, who is? He is however responsible for the majority of atrocities committed so far in Syria. 300,000 deaths are definitely not "run of the mill". He's managed to get more of his own people killed than his grand farce of resisting the state of Israel. Some people have a hard time swallowing it down, but it's extremely unlikely he would survive politically in the aftermath. The only way he might stay is in a partitioned Syria.

You know you could have actually read the replies to your posts instead of sticking your fingers into your ears and repeating yourself. All those things might be true (and bombing hospitals is something that everyone has done at this point unfortunately), now imagine instead of Assad you have Al-Baghdadi in control of this army, these chemical weapons etc

This is exactly what Assad had in mind when he started imprisoning and killing off any moderate opposition during the early years. He's essentially boiled it down to being between him and the crazies.

Dalibor68

Banned
Assad indiscriminately bombs populations with barrel bombs

Is using starvation as a weapon both (with Russian air strikes) denying aid and targeting convoys and aid stations

Bombing hospitals and aid stations (with Russian help)

Uses chemical weapons, cluster munitions, and White Phosphorus in civilian areas

Holds untold amounts in prisons with less than acceptable conditions for cattle much less humans

Has killed over 200k in the conflict with an estimated 60k in his prisons

Reduced major cities to rubble with no plan or intent to rebuild

Displaced ~8 million people internally and externally

No he is far worse than a "run of the mill" dictator and demonstrably worse than ISIS at this point.

You know you could have actually read the replies to your posts instead of sticking your fingers into your ears and repeating yourself. All those things might be true (and bombing hospitals is something that everyone has done at this point unfortunately), now imagine instead of Assad you have Al-Baghdadi in control of this army, these chemical weapons etc

Obamas weak foreign policy has let putin grow some balls.

Yes, Putin is so strong

So strong that he had to invade his former economic partner to prevent a major trade shift.

So strong they are now stuck in the middle of a Syrian civil war.

So strong that their economy is producing the GDP output of Spain.

You're confusing "strength and strategy" with what it really is, desperation. Russia has completely isolated itself and it's economy is tied to a natural commodity that will soon be not worth what is is now due to the shift to clean energy in the coming decades. Obama doing "nothing" has let Putin drag his country into the dirt for pure short term gains while suffering long term damages.

Also it's pretty disgusting seeing people defend Assad and Russia for committing mass murder.

Accidental strikes are one thing. Assad and Russia are systematically targeting hospitals and aid stations. They are even targeting bakeries for food distribution. NGOs have even stopped providing their locations because of the frequency of attacks.

Given the scope and effeincy of Assad's murder industry I don't think ISIS would be able to compete on the same scale.

Dingens

Accidental strikes are one thing. Assad and Russia are systematically targeting hospitals and aid stations. They are even targeting bakeries for food distribution. NGOs have even stopped providing their locations because of the frequency of attacks.

Given the scope and effeincy of Assad's murder industry I don't think ISIS would be able to compete on the same scale.

I love how things always become "accidental" when our side fucks up.
somehow that makes one feel warm and cozy inside.

I love how things always become "accidental" when our side fucks up.
somehow that makes one feel warm and cozy inside.

It's not, never said it was "okay" it's something that should be condemned and recompense should be issued. Difference is there is at least of modicum of accountability there. Russia and Assad are doing this purposefully and refuse to even acknowledge the death they cause.

TarNaru33

Banned

He actually is. ISIS is definitely the next worst group, but in terms of scale no group outdoes the atrocities of Assad's forces.

why are the flags so big? it gives the false impression that their bases are either huge or that they are always patrolling the seas and sky in the area (which they are not)

US's presence in Portugal is not even on continental Europe but it is situated way out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean on a air strip in the Azores (Islands)

this map is misleading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom