• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia will shoot down alliance jets over Syria if US launches air strikes on Alassad

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawnchair

Banned
Oh my sweet summer child, do you really believe that America is a self sufficient island that operates without vital trade and natural resources from the rest of the world?

i don't. but i don't see participating in the syrian civil war (and possibly engaging with the russians) to be vital to sustaining america, either..

Valhelm

contribute something
To be fair, it seems like a lot of "anti-revisionists" have hopped on to the Putin train because of anti-NATO sentiment. There is significant crossover.

Those people exist, but they aren't the dominant voice in Putin's Western coalition.

i don't. but i don't see participating in the syrian civil war (and possibly engaging with the russians) to be vital to sustaining america, either..

We're already involved, even if you leave out the military aspect we have allies and partners in Lebanon and Jordan swelled with refugees (~20-25% population increases), Turkey with the conflict at their border and spilling into it, and Europe not knowing what to do.

Either we swallow the bitter pill now or have 3 forced down our throats in 5 years.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I'm an apologist for Putin

You essentially phrased your statement like the above with what you said. Russia are the kings of killing civilians indiscriminately and not acknowledging it. It's bad form to try to throw that back at other countries.

what does that mean, exactly?

it means we are on the same planet and once Syria falls and become some Iran/Russia dystopia, then the effects would be global while Putin needing to grasp power and popularity will strike somewhere else and then somewhere else and then....

lawnchair

Banned
it means we are on the same planet and once Syria falls and become some Iran/Russia dystopia, then the effects would be global while Putin needing to grasp power and popularity will strike somewhere else and then somewhere else and then....

so every time russia gets belligerent america has to go drop bombs on innocent people to keep russia in its place?

so every time russia gets belligerent america has to go drop bombs on innocent people to keep russia in its place?

Bombing innocent people? SAA attacking civilian areas or creating a no flyzone is bombing innocent people?

you mean like what Russia is doing right now?

you mean the majority that is basically given two options, either to be refugees and stateless or sit and get bombed, or killed?

you mean the 400,000+ people Assad already killed before Russia got even more heavily involved?

this is Sarajevo (in a sense) all over again

you think because your on another continent it means nothing but everything is connected

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
My point still stands... if you had an election including all Syrian, people in the country and people who fled the country,

Assad would lose by a landslide.

Which leads to the next point... when a tyrant like that is being considered the viable option then what are you supporting?

More then 80% despise him and so, does he have the right to rule them?

People keep on tossing in Libya as an example but Libya right now is not in no where near the large scale death we are seeing in Syria.

You need to not ignore the elephant in the room... Assad like ISIS and AQ needs to be dealt with.

Post that, we can focus on unifying things and reaching mental, economical and physical stability but when people are saying that allowing Assad to rule is the only sane option then that is indeed lunacy.

You know what Assad wants to do? He massacres a city, makes them surrender, forces them to leave to the next city, places new foreign loyal inhabitants there to leave on illegal land and then rinse and repeat.

How is that logical? How is it ethical?

How it is reasonable and sane?

Basically redrawing a demographic map and then replying Oh those people don't deserve their lives since the minority who salutes to Assad will be at peace.

That isn't reasoning and that isn't a option that is faulty ignorance to justify a means by doing worse. Putting oneself above others because of some revenge obsession that doesn't even involve the innocents that would suffer due to people's so called egos.

That is literally making a future with a stateless people and a written genocide on history books that WE allowed to happen.

You are wasting your time arguing, the guy is brainwashed on hezbollah propoganda through and through. Can't blame him, in Lebanon your religion and your geopolitical interests are determined by birth. It's standard to claim that Bashar has majority support - even though he's alienated 80% of his country. Some people -.-

lawnchair

Banned
you think because your on another continent it means nothing but everything is connected

that's part of my concern. i think a connection can be made between the US blowing people up in the middle east and the existence of anti-american hatred that thrives in that region. maybe i'm wrong.

that's part of my concern. i think a connection can be made between the US blowing people up in the middle east and the existence of anti-american hatred that thrives in that region. maybe i'm wrong.

the US did indeed screw up a ton of places but likely what would cause anger this time is if they the world power sit back and allow this to happen

it isn't like allowing Hezbollah, Iran, Russia, etc... to run amok will gain favor between their supporters and the US

they hate the US regardless and would instead laugh at the US and cause more chaos and destruction

basically it feels like we are reaching the climax of the ME crisis

Sijil

My point still stands... if you had an election including all Syrian, people in the country and people who fled the country,

Assad would lose by a landslide.

Which leads to the next point... when a tyrant like that is being considered the viable option then what are you supporting?

More then 80% despise him and so, does he have the right to rule them?

People keep on tossing in Libya as an example but Libya right now is not in no where near the large scale death we are seeing in Syria.

You need to not ignore the elephant in the room... Assad like ISIS and AQ needs to be dealt with.

Post that, we can focus on unifying things and reaching mental, economical and physical stability but when people are saying that allowing Assad to rule is the only sane option then that is indeed lunacy.

You know what Assad wants to do? He massacres a city, makes them surrender, forces them to leave to the next city, places new foreign loyal inhabitants there to leave on illegal land and then rinse and repeat.

How is that logical? How is it ethical?

How it is reasonable and sane?

Basically redrawing a demographic map and then replying Oh those people don't deserve their lives since the minority who salutes to Assad will be at peace.

That isn't reasoning and that isn't a option that is faulty ignorance to justify a means by doing worse. Putting oneself above others because of some revenge obsession that doesn't even involve the innocents that would suffer due to people's so called egos.

That is literally making a future with a stateless people and a written genocide on history books that WE allowed to happen.

You're arguing ethics when it has no place in real politics. Where were those ethics when Saddam Hussein massacred 200,000 Shia back in 1991 and displaced millions while the whole world stood silent? Why did the world allow a tyrant to quell an uprising then but not now? And only after the uprising was quelled did they "intervene".

Tell me where are the ethics in turning a blind eye to the massacres in Yemen?

Because there are no ethics in politics, it is pointless to discuss it, only self interests, and the US chooses who to depose and when because it suits them.

When the whole world is treated equally by the international community then we can discuss ethics. Until then, same way the US can protect and keep its dictators I don't see why Russia cannot.

Assad will never win any free elections, but at the end of the day the people living in Latakia, Tartus, Damascus and other government controlled cities go about their business normally, co existing, I think for the time being that is more important, no citizen in those areas would give a shit about elections.

You are wasting your time arguing, the guy is brainwashed on hezbollah propoganda through and through. Can't blame him, in Lebanon your religion and your geopolitical interests are determined by birth. It's standard to claim that Bashar has majority support - even though he's alienated 80% of his country. Some people -.-

As if I would give a phalangist/FM supporter the time of day, you're becoming more and more irrelevant.

You're arguing ethics when it has no place in real politics. Where were those ethics when Saddam Hussein massacred 200,000 Shia back in 1991 and displaced millions while the whole world stood silent? Why did the world allow a tyrant to quell an uprising then but not now? And only after the uprising was quelled did they "intervene".

Because there are no ethics in politics, it is pointless to discuss it, only self interests, and the US chooses who to depose and when because it suits them.

When the whole world is treated equally by the international community then we can discuss ethics. Until then, same way the US can protect and keep its dictators I don't see why Russia cannot.

Assad will never win any free elections, but at the end of the day the people living in Latakia, Tartus, Damascus and other government controlled cities go about their business normally, co existing, I think for the time being that is more important, no citizen in those areas would give a shit about elections.

Do you know what you're even typing?

Do you?

A) Yemen's war is also bad and so the country is likely to split we know that (and Yemen is not even close to what is happening in Syria)
B) Iraq with Saddam is also a tyrant and the passed showed his atrocities

BUT ARE YOU ACTUALLY ADVOCATING FOR GENOCIDE and diaspora because of other countries and past histories that have nothing to do with Syria.

Do you know that everything you just said doesn't make sense?

Different scenarios, different countries and different outcomes on different times means people can justify rapping, killing, pillaging and stealing a whole nation of it inhabitants but they share a similar sect to a psychopath.

and that is what it is since you are advocating for the deletion of more then 80% of a country because you feel hatred about another thing that doesn't EVEN relate to the people you are saying are allowed to be killed?

DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU JUST SAID?

You know what you are saying is no better then ISIS or Nazis or any other LUNATICS.

I am sorry but you need to stop and think on what you are saying and what you are justifying because of your negative emotions you want to place lethally on others.
I can't even... I just can't your mind is beyond twisted now you let hatred make you into a maniac.

TarNaru33

Banned
I guess you missed the point

who defines what is an accident and what is intentionally? If our side claims it was an accident, it is an accident, if the other side claims it was an accident, it is not.
When they fuck up, we are quick to demand an independent investigation. When we fuck up, an internal investigation will suffice (see kuduz)

basically, the media and the public, consciously or unconsciously shape the discourse. And in a war situation, a good-guy bias is inherent.

As I said before, I'm going to wait at least another 10 years before I will read up on what REALLY happened the last couple of years. Because the information that is available now is dubious at best, and soaked with propaganda at worst.

so excuse me if I do not believe claims, that are based on sources like the one below

correct, it is not.

Scale among other things (motive) determine what is an accident and what is intentional (note: indiscriminate strikes are in fact intentional). This has nothing to do with bias when comparing these two factions. U.S and Russia are currently very different in their handling of warfare, with Russian strikes being significantly more disproportionate and devastating to enemies and civilians alike. To try to dispute this means you know nothing of what you are talking about and should read up on it more before discussing it.

What to know what aren't accidents?

Dresden
Vietnam bombing campaign
London and Berlin air campaigns from Nazi Germany and British/American air force.
Soviet's disregard for civilians both their own and their enemy's
Any civilian caused by indiscriminate attacks such as dumb cluster bombs.

No matter what you say, the West has been doing a lot in terms of tech and military tactics to reduce civilian casualties, which is counter to what Russia and Syria is doing.

I am not sure what you mean in the last part of your 1st paragraph. No one besides the one trying to defend their actions in civilian deaths believe the self-investigation bull.

There are reasons many people have some form of understanding of accidents in the fog of war, given the context of that nation's or group's history of course. Part of that is, war is hell and you can't eliminate civilian casualties with the technology we have and while using humans, who are prone to bad judgement.

Kunduz for example; U.S has literally no reason to hit Doctors without Borders especially since it was recently taken by the Taliban and not a full on rebel territory, so why would I think it was deliberate?

How does one bomb hospitals 23 times in a city in the span of ~3 months by accident?

Syria: Eastern Aleppo hospitals damaged in 23 attacks since July | Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) International

Completely isolated by the siege, people throughout eastern Aleppo are suffering from a lack of basic goods. Fuel has also been depleted, which has an added impact on both ambulances and hospitals. “The Syrian and Russian governments have taken this battle to a new level,” said Pablo Marco, MSF’s operations manager in the Middle East. “The whole of eastern Aleppo is being targeted. Hundreds of civilians are being massacred; their lives have turned into hell.”

We need intervention.

The worst stain on obamas legacy is when he backed down from his red line promise.

A strong US policing the world is preferable to what is the case now.

Dingens

Do you know what you're even typing?

Do you?

[...]

DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU JUST SAID?

[...]

I don't know, do you? is this some kind of parody?

Scale among other things (motive) determine what is an accident and what is intentional (note: indiscriminate strikes are in fact intentional). This has nothing to do with bias when comparing these two factions. U.S and Russia are currently very different in their handling of warfare, with Russian strikes being significantly more disproportionate and devastating to enemies and civilians alike. To try to dispute this means you know nothing of what you are talking about and should read up on it more before discussing it.

[...]

No matter what you say, the West has been doing a lot in terms of tech and military tactics to reduce civilian casualties, which is counter to what Russia and Syria is doing.

[...]

There are reasons many people have some form of understanding of accidents in the fog of war, given the context of that nation's or group's history of course. Part of that is, war is hell and you can't eliminate civilian casualties with the technology we have and while using humans, who are prone to bad judgement.
[...]

so because Russia is "more evil", the U.S.' actions are justifiable? I'm not sure if that's really an achievement to be proud of. From your point of argument, no matter what the U.S. does it cannot be seen as intentional as it will always pale in comparison.

also I never disputed anything, not sure why you believe that. All I ever said was, that in a situation like this, one's own side is always painted in a way more favourable light. and your excuse ridden answer is no exception... "reducing casualties" and "accidents". If "the west" wanted to reduce casualties, if this was really about Syrians, than this conflict would look vastly different or would probably over by now. But it is not, this is a global power game, a proxy war, a prime example for neo realism, and nobody gives a shit about the Syrians, the west included. There have been countless opportunities to end this, but every party involved is under internal and external pressure to stick it to the bad guy. This certainly has nothing to do with reducing casualties there, but with reducing casualties at home in terms of votes.

[...]
I am not sure what you mean in the last part of your 1st paragraph. No one besides the one trying to defend their actions in civilian deaths believe the self-investigation bull.

[...]

Kunduz for example; U.S has literally no reason to hit Doctors without Borders especially since it was recently taken by the Taliban and not a full on rebel territory, so why would I think it was deliberate?

"no one besides the one trying to defend their actions in civilian deaths believe the self-investigation bull..." so is this why the U.S. insisted on self-investigations in the Kunduz case and prevented every attempt by doctors without borders for an independent one? I'm sure if this was done by Russia, it would not be an accident but intentional, and the prevention of said investigation is just as good as admitting guilt. but in the U.S. case it is fine I guess...
nothing but double standards and own-side bias, sry.

just like the example above, as long as this conflict continues, reports will sugar coat the "good guys'" actions and accusations may be based on biased data. And I think it's incredibly dangerous to buy into that, getting fired up to support the good cause from some sort of moral high ground that is nothing but an illusion. But maybe that's exactly the lesson the the U.S. learned from the negative press it got during the Vietnam war?
The first casualty of War is Truth. And that is not one-sided.

Quixzlizx

This has always been my biggest issue with the US government and many of the citizens in this country. Their false proclamations of protecting life which under scrutiny is never ever the case. We support militants who are damn near terrorists in Syria but Russia can't support Rebels in Ukraine. We either inact sanctions or offer protests whenever a country that is not part of the Wests club does something that the West itself does. Isreal kills 2 and a half thousand people in less than two months? "well they are defending themselves". Russia kills thousands of militants (and depending who you ask, thousands of civilians too) and they are mudurous, inhume, war criminals. The hypocrisy is not the biggest issue, to me what i always find egregious is the willingness for a supposedly educated populace to buy that hypocrisy. And its not like the hypocrisy is not evident, many in this thread have even mentioned but its readily brushed aside for the much more bearable "fuck russia" mantra. This new cold war could turn hot because we have a government that is drunk with its own power over the world and a populace ignorant to the realities of the world. Thats why some people in this thread are suggesting with a straight face that we enact a no-fly zone in Syria.

At least we have objective observers such as yourself in this thread to equate the situations in Ukraine and Syria.

You know what also helps noone? Defending a piece of shit who intentially gasses and bombs civilians.

Fuck Russia.
So, fuck America because of the Iraq/Iran war as well? Or is that ok because Dubya overthrew that particular piece of shit decades later?

Please advise...

As if I would give a phalangist/FM supporter the time of day, you're becoming more and more irrelevant.

Your sensible argument would find no purchase because many live in a bubble we're they have been brainwashed into thinking that one government "cares" more than another. It seems many don't understand that there is no morality or ethics in world politics, only interests.

Major Updates

While now the US is now
https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/784782191989448705
“Vetted” opposition groups in northern #Syria are receiving additional weapons supplies through the US & regional state-run MOM ops room.
#pt: In addition to small-arms, mortars and RPGs, “vetted” FSA units are receiving new Czech & Bulgarian 122mm Grad rockets & MRL launchers.
#pts: Select “vetted” FSA units have also received field artillery systems & ammunition, while TOW antitank missiles are also still flowing.
#pts: Finally - and most significantly - at least two shipments of MANPADS have arrived into northern #Syria, to “vetted” FSA groups.
#pts: New Grads (30-40km range) & mobile MRLs are intended for stand-off attacks against #Assad regime airports. MANPADS = a deterrent.

Wasn't the effectiveness of MANPADs limited during the Soviet-Afghan war? Didn't the Soviets just install countermeasures on their aircraft?

ManPads can also be used for Helicopters

like the ones dropping phosphorus and also older model planes like what the SAA is using

plus sometimes even with the latest tech MANPADs can still be effective against modern jets as much as the promotional tech videos try and say other wise

hence the whole reason as to why more haven't been given to the rebel groups for so long

Ac30

ManPads can also be used for Helicopters

like the ones dropping phosphorus and also older model planes like what the SAA is using

plus sometimes even with the latest tech MANPADs can still be effective against modern jets as much as the promotional tech videos try and say other wise

hence the whole reason as to why more haven't been given to the rebel groups for so long

I can't wait for the first Russian jet to be shot down with American-supplied MANPADS then. This'll go swimmingly.

I can't wait for the first Russian jet to be shot down with American-supplied MANPADS then. This'll go swimmingly.

the US is aware of that but the bogus ceasefire that Russia did with them and the lies and escalation that Russia continued to do made them not give a bit anymore

but your basically right it is now just who can afford what now and at what costs

the civilians will be the main victims of Putin's retaliation

TarNaru33

Banned
The US needs to talk to the people they are supporting because right now the rebels are killing each other and the SAA is steamrolling them in Aleppo and Hama.

Unfortunately, it is not because the rebels are fighting each other that they are losing ground, it is because the SAA and Russia have unrestricted airspace. MANPADS really is the only thing U.S can do to aide them at the moment.

I
so because Russia is "more evil", the U.S.' actions are justifiable? I'm not sure if that's really an achievement to be proud of. From your point of argument, no matter what the U.S. does it cannot be seen as intentional as it will always pale in comparison.

Not quite sure how you came to this conclusion. I was telling you how you differentiate intentional and accidental loss of life. This has nothing to do with good vs evil, however when you say something with no substance, then I will respond.

also I never disputed anything, not sure why you believe that. All I ever said was, that in a situation like this, one's own side is always painted in a way more favourable light. and your excuse ridden answer is no exception... "reducing casualties" and "accidents". If "the west" wanted to reduce casualties, if this was really about Syrians, than this conflict would look vastly different or would probably over by now. But it is not, this is a global power game, a proxy war, a prime example for neo realism, and nobody gives a shit about the Syrians, the west included. There have been countless opportunities to end this, but every party involved is under internal and external pressure to stick it to the bad guy. This certainly has nothing to do with reducing casualties there, but with reducing casualties at home in terms of votes.

You do yourself a disservice by thinking this is a proxy war only between Russia and the West, this is also a proxy war of Sunni vs Shia.

I am not sure what you mean by "this conflict would look vastly different". The West is filled with war weary populace in democratic settings, which hampers any decisive decisions on conflicts like this. Not to mention Russia controls UN veto votes, which effectively stops any international intervention The only way this would be over right now is if there was an intervention by the West years ago, as I do not believe the gulf states would stop supplying the rebels.

Unless you are one of those that think an Assad controlled Syria can be peaceful at this stage?

"no one besides the one trying to defend their actions in civilian deaths believe the self-investigation bull..." so is this why the U.S. insisted on self-investigations in the Kunduz case and prevented every attempt by doctors without borders for an independent one? I'm sure if this was done by Russia, it would not be an accident but intentional, and the prevention of said investigation is just as good as admitting guilt. but in the U.S. case it is fine I guess...
nothing but double standards and own-side bias, sry.

What are you talking about? We are talking about the differences in airstrikes and what makes one worse than the other.

You would need a better example than Kunduz airstrike, because it was obviously an accident. Again you ignored my entire last post which is how we define accidental loss of life and intentional

If Russia bombed one hospital and goes on a long time before another incident of it again, then it can definitely be accidental, but when you have a country constantly bombing hospitals in spans of months, then there is no way it is an accident.

One more time I will say it; indiscriminate attacks are deemed intentional when they kill civilians, because that is what an indiscriminate attack is going to do.

Also please stop acting like there is no one condemning U.S's bombing of civilians, there are plenty of examples of it and you will find it rare for any legit media to immediately defend it. There is also the fact that U.S military owns up to such strikes whereas Russia, says "I do not know of such a strike" almost all the time.

just like the example above, as long as this conflict continues, reports will sugar coat the "good guys'" actions and accusations may be based on biased data. And I think it's incredibly dangerous to buy into that, getting fired up to support the good cause from some sort of moral high ground that is nothing but an illusion. But maybe that's exactly the lesson the the U.S. learned from the negative press it got during the Vietnam war?
The first casualty of War is Truth. And that is not one-sided.

There will be bias from all sides. The difference here is there are also critics of U.S policy within U.S and the West as well via media, politicians, and other organizations, this is not the case for Russia.

The US needs to talk to the people they are supporting because right now the rebels are killing each other and the SAA is steamrolling them in Aleppo and Hama.

If they are "steamrolling" them you'd think that after weeks of carpetbombing by the Russians they would have taken Aleppo by now. Fighting for Aleppo has been going on for 4,5 years now and it's been proven time and time again the SAA is quite incapable of taking any territory against people fighting back.

If they are "steamrolling" them you'd think that after weeks of carpetbombing by the Russians they would have taken Aleppo by now. Fighting for Aleppo has been going on for 4,5 years now and it's been proven time and time again the SAA is quite incapable of taking any territory against people fighting back.

Well, apparently something has changed because as you say for years they weren't able to advance, they were stuck north of handarat camp, but in the last few days they have captured all the way to Awijah and keep on advancing and the forces that should theoretically try to lift the siege from outside are killing each other. If things continue as they are Eastern Aleppo is going to fall.

Yoda

Obama was a bit slow counter-acting Russia. This is a good instance of hindsight being 20/20 (for us), but at the time it made more sense to believe Russia would act in it's economic interest vs. the ego of it's dictator. Putin's rationale was always that a stronger EU would diminish Russia and it's closest allies economic bargaining power. The irony here is that the EU is inflicting a majority of the harm on itself via Brexit, having no long-term plan to handle refugees, and half the member nations still being in a recession from the 08 meltdown. Putin's military adventures in Ukraine were an afterthought (from an economic standpoint) to the health of the EU, yet it cost his nation dearly.

Syria is a tougher pickle. In Putin's eyes, the U.S. doesn't have standing to correct the situation, especially due to the fact we are blamed for letting the clown out of the box (Iraq destabilized -> leave -> ISIS). Given Syria was a close ally to Russia, and the Obama administration wants to remove Assad on Humanitarian grounds (while the same administration turns a blind eye towards Saudi Arabia <-- this might be changing as we speak... but it took far too long) Putin sees this as faux outrage, only being exercised in an opportunistic fashion.

There are no good options anymore. There's no faction we can use as a proxy. The nation best primed to fix the situation is about to become an Islamist Dictatorship (Turkey). If ground troops were deployed we'd be fighting multiple factions @ once(Assad, Russia via proxy, ISIS).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom