• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RX 7900XTX and 7900XT review thread

Crayon

rg0fuue9ii5a1.jpg

65o9ysl9ii5a1.jpg

It's INSANE

bd1.png

It's brain cancer in digital form

Yeeeeep. Funny enough, it was the most insane ones that helped me keep my feet on the ground.

Random video: "That's right you heard it here boys, Nvidia is goiing down and are not getting up till AMD says so!!!!!"

Me: "oh right, this is a clown show. I remember, now."

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Yeeeeep. Funny enough, it was the most insane ones that helped me keep my feet on the ground.

Random video: "That's right you heard it here boys, Nvidia is goiing down and are not getting up till AMD says so!!!!!"

Me: "oh right, this is a clown show. I remember, now."
I stopped giving any credence to AMD hardware rumors around 2006-2007, back when AMD fanboys were preaching the gospel of the mythical “K8L” and how it was going to be native quad-core and have REVERSE HYPERTHREADING, and totally kick Core 2’s ass and retake the performance crown.

I swear it’s been the same cycle for 15 years:

- hyperbolic speculation about how awesome product++ will be, usually including some fancy new tech or buzzword (reverse hyperthreading, GDDR4, HBM, simultaneous multi threading, Infinity Cache, MCD, etc)

- product++ releases and falls short of the hype

- fanboys tell us that sure, it may be behind right now , but eventually it’ll pull ahead, just wait for new drivers/games to be optimized for the new tech/games to need more RAM/games to run better on AMD because they were built for AMD-based consoles etc etc.

- competitor releases their next gen product with a clear performance lead

- repeat

kiphalfton

We really cant have nice things huh? Nvidia fucking consumers, AMD just being a fucking loser most of the time, scalpers, mining, etc. Good days are forever gone. Time to throw away my 1440p monitors and go back to 1080p and just get cheaper models cuz I cant afford to waste so much money for such meh performances. At almost 1k I should be running games at 8k easily but nah.

I would say you're overreacting, but you're not wrong unfortunately.

PC shit is getting too expensive. It was always bad, but $800+ for mid range crap is beyond ridiculous.

Threads that didn't age well:

Looks to me like AMD remains a giant advertisement for Nvidia still. It was a good try though, they did manage to match my 2 years old 3090 in RT performance. It's obvious their focus was to try to raise RT performance because who the fuck needs this much rasterization performance besides the 29 people trying to push 4K/120?

Portal RTX is pretty cool BTW, someone should test that one on these new AMD cards.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Threads that didn't age well:

[/URL]

Looks to me like AMD remains a giant advertisement for Nvidia still. It was a good try though, they did manage to match my 2 years old 3090 in RT performance. It's obvious their focus was to try to raise RT performance because who the fuck needs this much rasterization performance besides the 29 people trying to push 4K/120?

Portal RTX is pretty cool BTW, someone should test that one on these new AMD cards.
The millions of people with a VR headset?

Buggy Loop

I stopped giving any credence to AMD hardware rumors around 2006-2007, back when AMD fanboys were preaching the gospel of the mythical “K8L” and how it was going to be native quad-core and have REVERSE HYPERTHREADING, and totally kick Core 2’s ass and retake the performance crown.

I swear it’s been the same cycle for 15 years:

- hyperbolic speculation about how awesome product++ will be, usually including some fancy new tech or buzzword (reverse hyperthreading, GDDR4, HBM, simultaneous multi threading, Infinity Cache, MCD, etc)

- product++ releases and falls short of the hype

- fanboys tell us that sure, it may be behind right now , but eventually it’ll pull ahead, just wait for new drivers/games to be optimized for the new tech/games to need more RAM/games to run better on AMD because they were built for AMD-based consoles etc etc.

- competitor releases their next gen product with a clear performance lead

- repeat

Nailed it

I was in that hype train for oh so long on ATI/AMD. Always was to be fixed at X driver or Y card, that they've got a master plan to catch Nvidia with their pants down.

When i went to university and started my electrical engineering, including a semiconductor course, then reading all these universities and research papers that Nvidia participates with for developing the tech, that it sort of clicked that they know wtf they are doing at another level. They've had no competition for CUDA for like 15 years, they have 80% of the ML market, they're way ahead in RT and now we see with this release that they're also way ahead in chip design and efficiency.

Anchovie123

This whole generation is going to be silly with AMD fighting the NVIDIA spec below it. (7800 vs 4070 ect) Why didnt they just admit they didnt have a 4090 competitor? This thing is a RX 7800 but they called it a 7900XTX. Only way to save this clusterfuck is if they somehow pull off a miracle with X3D variants, witch i doubt even exist.

Id pay an extra 200$ for the better RT and superior DLSS that a 4080 offers. Almost every AAA title these days ships with RT, you cant use that excuse anymore.

Hawk269

Trades blows with a 4080 and is cheaper

Looks like a good option for people to stay under a certain budget
In raster situations, throw in any type of Ray Tracing and the AMD card gets trounced. I was really hoping AMD would of been able to put a lot more preasure on Nvidia this generation. Let's face it, RT is going to become more and more popular and more and more games are going to have RT features. Sure, if you want to save $200 and not use RT then the AMD card makes sense...but if you want RT and at acceptable frame rates, it looks like the 4080 is the way to go...even if I still think it is overpriced. Nvidia should lower the 4080 to $999.99 or $1049.99 and just shut the door on this AMD card. Don't get me wrong, I was routing for AMD.

Buggy Loop

Id pay an extra 200$ for the better RT and superior DLSS that a 4080 offers. Almost every AAA title these days ships with RT, you cant use that excuse anymore.

Fuck, i would gladly pay $200 more JUST for a non noisy card without that ridiculous coil whine. AMD's reference card has a trash tier cooler.

Why am i spending well over $200 in quality noctua fans and coolers in a case for quiet and cool operation, with AMD coming in all derpy and have one of the noisiest GPU since fucking Vega.

"It fits anywhere"

Thanks for that marketing but if the cooler is trash, nobody cares. So then you have to look into AIBs with beefier coolers... So that $200 difference just evaporated... and we didn't even look into RT/DLSS/RTX Remix/Cuda, etc yet.

In raster situations, throw in any type of Ray Tracing and the AMD card gets trounced. I was really hoping AMD would of been able to put a lot more preasure on Nvidia this generation. Let's face it, RT is going to become more and more popular and more and more games are going to have RT features. Sure, if you want to save $200 and not use RT then the AMD card makes sense...but if you want RT and at acceptable frame rates, it looks like the 4080 is the way to go...even if I still think it is overpriced. Nvidia should lower the 4080 to $999.99 or $1049.99 and just shut the door on this AMD card. Don't get me wrong, I was routing for AMD.

Unreal 5 is basically a tsunami of RT enabled games with no off toggles. It'll be between the light SW Lumen and the full Lumen with hardware RT acceleration. At this point in time, ignoring RT is not a good plan.

Last edited:

rnlval

If you expected 7900XTX at $1000 to compete with 4090 at $1600, you were smoking crack. AMD was clear that this was a 4080 competitor a month ago…

[/URL][/URL]

[Radeon RX 7900 XTX] is designed to go against 4080 and we don’t have benchmarks numbers on 4080. That’s the primary reason why you didnt see any NVIDIA compares. […] $999 card is not a 4090 competitor, which costs 60% more, this is a 4080 competitor.

— Frank Azor to PCWorld
NVIDIA's AD102 is fabricated on TSMC's 4N enhanced 5nm while AMD'sNAVI 31 is fabricated on slightly older 5 nm and 6 nm process nodes.

The only TSMC source seems to be: https://investor.tsmc.com/sites/ir/annual-report/2020/2020 Annual Report_E_ .pdf which calls the N4 process 4nm on page 10.

4nm FinFET (N4) technology is an enhanced version of 5nm FinFET (N5) technology, with compatible design rules while providing further enhancement in performance, power and density for the next wave of 5-nanometer products.

In the last generation, NAVI 21 was fabricated on TSMC's 7 nm which is slightly superior when compared to GA102's Samsung 8 nm process node.

Last edited:

rnlval

Not 4N node, but N4, which is a 5nm with custom Nvidia specific changes that slightly improved it. It’s not TSMC’s 4N.
https://www.wepc.com/news/tsmc-4nm-5nm/

TSMC has a 4nm process node.

Nvidia keynote at Computex: "Built with a custom TSMC 4 nanometer process". at 5:42

Later, Nvidia clarified that the RTX 40 GPU uses TSMC’s 4N 5nm process, not the 4nm process, due to a large number of media writing errors (Nvidia keynote created the error).

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

NVIDIA's AD102 is fabricated on TSMC's 4 nm while AMD'sNAVI 31 is fabricated on slightly older 5 nm and 6 nm process nodes.

In the last generation, NAVI 21 was fabricated on TSMC's 7 nm which is slightly superior when compared to GA102's Samsung 8 nm process node.

TSMC N4 is based off N5, has 5-6% density optimization, it's N5+
TSMC's 4N which is what Nvidia uses is based off N5, apparently a custom tweak by Nvidia but not up to N4, no values given publicly, but problably N5+

Only TSMC's N3 is the real node jump from their N5.

Samsung's density for 8nm was bad. TSMC's 7nm had way better advantage than just comparing marketing nanometers.

https://www.wepc.com/news/tsmc-4nm-5nm/

TSMC has a 4nm process node.

Nvidia keynote at Computex: "Built with a custom TSMC 4 nanometer process". at 5:42

No, it's marketing

wikichip_tsmc_logic_node_q3_2021.png

They're derivations of the N5 node

tsmc-n4w.png

4nm or 5nm, node names used to matter a long time ago, now they're like car models with option variants. It's using the exact same ASL lithography machine. Optimization happens in time.

I actually mixed before the N4 and 4N for Nvidia in my post. That's how stupid these names are becoming.

Last edited:

rnlval

TSMC N4 is based off N5, has 5-6% density optimization, it's N5+
TSMC's 4N which is what Nvidia uses is based off N5, apparently a custom tweak by Nvidia but not up to N4, no values given publicly, but problably N5+

Only TSMC's N3 is the real node jump from their N5.

Samsung's density for 8nm was bad. TSMC's 7nm had way better advantage than just comparing marketing nanometers.
I updated my post.

Buggy Loop

Is it reasonable for its price? Yes

Can't say i agree. Much like 4080's ludicrous in price, there's nothing reasonable here about 7900XTX price, especially with cheaped out cooler on reference cards.

Nvidia got so much shit for 4080's price and rightfully so. It's an upsell card. Making the 4090 attractive while lowering ampere stock at high prices. There's no place for a 4080 super or Ti between it and the much beefier 4090 in 1200-1600 bracket.

But AMD tried to put lipstick on a pig by trying to make you believe that their 7900XTX (cough 7800XT) is a much better value. AIB prices just to even have a decent cooler and low noise will just worsen the value. Gamers Nexus does not recommend the reference card, i think that says it all.

Both need to drop price, and likely to happen. 4080 probably to start a price drop in mid December. If they both don't drop in prices (especially 7900XT), then we truly live in a dark timeline for GPUs.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

It's sad that RTX4080 is barely faster than the previous RTX30 series flagship and I don't know what to say about the 7900XTX and it's price point . Might as well just buy a used 3090 Ti for the best value .

supernova8

Banned
In a vacuum, the 7900XTX competing with the 4080 for $200 less is swell n all but... at the $1000 price range are you really not going to give shit about ray tracing?

Plus, seeing all the "meh ray tracing doesn't matter anyway" hand-waving begs the question:

What happens if/when ray tracing does become pretty widespread (let's define that as in 50% or more of all newly released titles) and AMD is still way behind Nvidia in that department?

It looks to me like this (at least in the high-end) is the first generation where max settings plus raytracing at high resolutions is viable, so surely we need to stop ignoring RT.

Besides, if AMD had the raytracing advantage you fucking bet the red army would be shouting it from the hilltops!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, as someone else said, it's not a good look for AMD's flagship 90 card to only just compete with Nvidia's 80 series card.
For reference, remember that in raster only (no RT), the 6800 XT and 6900 XT were neck and neck with the 3080 and 3090, respectively.

Sure the AMD cards are priced lower and are arguably better "value" (subjective, though) but in terms of mindshare it just screams to consumers "if you want the best get Nvidia".

Hindsight is a beautiful thing but maybe they should have called these two cards the 7800 XT and the 7700 XT, leaving themselves room later to release a 7900 XT (equivalent to the rumored 7950 XTX?). I think they fucked themselves with the whole XTX thing if they didn't have the performance to back it up. Plus if they really did have hardware issues that would give them extra time to iron those out.

edit: looks like Coreteks agrees on the idea of these GPUs having dodgy tier naming:

Last edited:

Amiga

What happens if/when ray tracing does become pretty widespread (let's define that as in 50% or more of all newly released titles) and AMD is still way behind Nvidia in that department?

RT automatically making a game look better by default is a myth. UE5 Lumin is close and practical and what most devs will actually use in upcoming games.

supernova8

Banned
RT automatically making a game look better by default is a myth. UE5 Lumin is close and practical and what most devs will actually use in upcoming games.
I never claimed it makes the game look better by default. I'm simply saying it cannot be hand-waved away once (for instance) more than half of all new games feature ray tracing. Plus, not all games run on Unreal Engine 5 (and not all games will run on UE5, a lot of devs/pubs don't want to give Epic a cut of their sales and will use their own engines - see Bethesda, EA, Ubisoft, Sony (Decima etc.)).

Last edited:

twilo99

Can't say i agree. Much like 4080's ludicrous in price, there's nothing reasonable here about 7900XTX price, especially with cheaped out cooler on reference cards.

Nvidia got so much shit for 4080's price and rightfully so. It's an upsell card. Making the 4090 attractive while lowering ampere stock at high prices. There's no place for a 4080 super or Ti between it and the much beefier 4090 in 1200-1600 bracket.

But AMD tried to put lipstick on a pig by trying to make you believe that their 7900XTX (cough 7800XT) is a much better value. AIB prices just to even have a decent cooler and low noise will just worsen the value. Gamers Nexus does not recommend the reference card, i think that says it all.

Both need to drop price, and likely to happen. 4080 probably to start a price drop in mid December. If they both don't drop in prices (especially 7900XT), then we truly live in a dark timeline for GPUs.

Its a sad situation where one grossly overpriced product makes another overpriced product seem "reasonable" in comparison.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Sadly it looks like AMD have kicked themselves in the nuts by pricing these so high, imagine if the xtx was 899 and the xt was 699, both prices which would still provide large profit margins given the chiplet style packaging the 7000 series have employed.

I think the chiplet packaging is unquestionably the way forward, just a shame that AMD's first implementation of it hasn't really taken a performance benefit from the method, only a price benefit(for themselves).

hlm666

Nvidia can't seem to lose, I was looking at 4090's a few days ago and had narrowed down the models I would get if the 7900xtx didn't float my boat. Yesterday 1 model out of 11 in stock had sold out at one of our larger pc retailers, today 7 models are sold out and even one of the 4080 models is sold out and none were yesterday and thats before we even have seen a bloody price for the AMD cards in Aus.

AMD seem to have helped nvidia kill the old pricing tiers I guess. It's not great but it Is what it is I guess.

supernova8

Banned
Nvidia can't seem to lose, I was looking at 4090's a few days ago and had narrowed down the models I would get if the 7900xtx didn't float my boat. Yesterday 1 model out of 11 in stock had sold out at one of our larger pc retailers, today 7 models are sold out and even one of the 4080 models is sold out and none were yesterday and thats before we even have seen a bloody price for the AMD cards in Aus.

AMD seem to have helped nvidia kill the old pricing tiers I guess. It's not great but it Is what it is I guess.
In the very high-end yeah you're right.

In the lower end, however, at least for the remainder of the current gen it seems that most tech tubers (who do have a lot of influence whether we like it or not) right now are recommending stuff like the 6600 XT and 6700 XT for a mid range card (which is where the performance is down to the point that ray tracing really is not worth talking about), so I'd like to see if AMD can nail Nvidia in the lower tiers this generation.

Even so I still think Nvidia will pull some cat out of the bag to skewer AMD. It seems to happen every single generation no matter what AMD tries. Nvidia is just too good at the 4D chess.

FingerBang

Have you ever thought that it might be as simple as "$200 more for better RT performance and/or any Nvidia features that are available" might be worth it for some people?

It's not that deep man.
Pretty much this. DLSS is still the superior option, DLSS3.0 might be good one day (awful for me in all the games I tested) and if you want to use RT it's way ahead.

AMD has basically made the 4080 look good in its pricing for the extra features.

That said, some
There isn't a price increase, not from launch MSRP to launch MSRP (the end of cycle discounts really don't figure in as they will quickly disappear).

6900xt launch price $999
6950xt launch price $1,099

7900xt launch price $899
7900xtx launch price $999

And even the 7900xt shows a performance improvement over the 6900 series cards (albeit a small one). Comparing these GPUs to the 6800 series because of Nvidias naming scheme is silly, the pricing matters the names don't. A modest increase of 25-30% is better than AMD just increasing the price by 25 or 30% which has been Nvidia's chosen path of late.
Yeah, looking at the names, sure. Performance-wise these cards should have been the 7800xt and 7900xt.

The XTX bullshit like it's a new tier? The $100 difference? Stop enabling them, this is just disappointing and they are as greedy as Nvidia. Look at what we got from the 5000 to the 6000 series. The 6800xt was $650. I want to accept inflation and raise it to 750. What exactly is the performance of a 7800xt going to be? 10% more than a 6800xt for a higher price?

Also, how in hell is AMD struggling to compete with Nvidia's tier 3 chip with their flagship? Something went wrong here.

Newari

Pricing in Europe is fucked. Finnish prices with one of the biggest retailers for ASUS 7900 XTX TUF is 1549€ and Asus 7900 XT TUF is 1349€. For comparison, RTX 4080 TUF is 1599€ (2399 for 4090 TUF). USA reference model MSRP might seem good compared to 4080 MSRP but parter model prices in this part of the world make 4080 seem reasonable...

GymWolf

Pricing in Europe is fucked. Finnish prices with one of the biggest retailers for ASUS 7900 XTX TUF is 1549€ and Asus 7900 XT TUF is 1349€. For comparison, RTX 4080 TUF is 1599€ (2399 for 4090 TUF). USA reference model MSRP might seem good compared to 4080 MSRP but parter model prices in this part of the world make 4080 seem reasonable...
Yep, europen prices are gonna put the nail in the coffin for amd.

So i was right that AMD pushed the clock further to make a win from at least RTX 4080 otherwise, it was not winning if they did not push the clock further, which destroyed it efficiency claims.

hlm666

So i was right that AMD pushed the clock further to make a win from at least RTX 4080 otherwise, it was not winning if they did not push the clock further, which destroyed it efficiency claims.

Did he just call the 7900xtx mid range? Good grief some of these techtubers are out of touch. I havn't watched any of his videos for a while, is this all an attempt to make some of his youtube videos not as wrong by pretending these are not the high ends parts or something?

Did he just call the 7900xtx mid range? Good grief some of these techtubers are out of touch. I havn't watched any of his videos for a while, is this all an attempt to make some of his youtube videos not as wrong by pretending these are not the high ends parts or something?
Yes he said that. He has been totally wrong about AMD all most every time about performance claims and these are type of guys who massively hype the product.

Soosa

Banned
None of these prices are reasonable.

Over 1000€ for a GPU is just madness, unless you are filthy rich, which we finns rarely are, you know :).

"Suomivero" aka "Finland tax" sucks, it basically means that if USA mrsp is 499$, it turns to at least 499€ in europe and above that "Finland tax" adds 10-30% so it becomes 559-599€. And this is not real tax, just a phenomenom where stuff "just costs more" here. Often it is cheaper to order stuff from other eu countries than to buy from here.

Same with PSVR2, 549$ turns into 639€ here. It should be 599€, but all stores just add 40€ above that.

Last edited:

SantaC

Over 1000€ for a GPU is just madness, unless you are filthy rich, which we finns rarely are, you know :).

"Suomivero" aka "Finland tax" sucks, it basically means that if USA mrsp is 499$, it turns to at least 499€ in europe and above that "Finland tax" adds 10-30% so it becomes 559-599€. And this is not real tax, just a phenomenom where stuff "just costs more" here. Often it is cheaper to order stuff from other eu countries than to buy from here.

Same with PSVR2, 549$ turns into 639€ here. It should be 599€, but all stores just add 40€ above that.
I mean, it is the same for sweden. a card that costs 999 dollars in USA is 1600 here.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Well it's not like the situation is that much better here, since your PSVR2 price is exact match here and on the top of that, average salary based on google is 3 600 EUR while here that number is 1 687EUR

So...

Jesus f christ what a fucking scam.

Italy is not better.
1580USD here, they are really counting on those AMD zealots with this one.

It's 500CZK, whole 22 USD within the range of RTX4080.

Good to be Nvidia fanboy, makes it impossible to ever get an L.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Good good.

Congrats to AMD for basically meeting their targets with the XTX (power efficiency not withstanding).
The XT is another overpriced AMD product and is gonna get a Ryzen like price cut sooner rather than later.
These companies ate too well during the pandemic they lost touch with reality.

Now time for that 4080 price cut.
And the 4080'20G getting printed
Something needs to take up the space between the 4080/XTX and 4090.
That things is constantly looking like its a generation ahead of everything else.
I just need to hold out for 4080'20G announcement CES or GTC please.........can I hold out that long?

GymWolf

Good good.

Congrats to AMD for basically meeting their targets with the XTX (power efficiency not withstanding).
The XT is another overpriced AMD product and is gonna get a Ryzen like price cut sooner rather than later.
These companies ate too well during the pandemic they lost touch with reality.

Now time for that 4080 price cut.
And the 4080'20G getting printed
Something needs to take up the space between the 4080/XTX and 4090.
That things is constantly looking like its a generation ahead of everything else.
I just need to hold out for 4080'20G announcement CES or GTC please.........can I hold out that long?
The situation is absolutely ridicolous and you can't even buy a 3090ti for less than 1200 euros...

Loxus

My theory is that AMD simply wanted to flex on nVidia, how nimble their card looks and that you don't need another PSU, etc. Seems like there is a huge potential for overclocking.

Custom Radeon RX 7900 graphics cards have already been tested in China
Portal 163 published early results of NITRO+ from Sapphire. This is as far as we know the only test of this card for now. What readers may find interesting is that NITRO+ is the only custom RX 7900 card with a vapor chamber (this is what Sapphire teased as a return of Vapor-X).
Reviewer claims that this card has 9*2+2 VRM design powered by three 8-pin power connectors. In their tests it has reached a frequency of 2499 MHz during normal tests and up to
3072 MHz with overclocking.

A lot of twitter users are going to have to eat a lot of crow if this turns out to be true.

GN calling out the 7900XT as overpriced like others today:

The XT is not a good value and no one who knows what they are doing will buy this card over an XTX

The 7900XTX as a mid range card?

200.gif

Another comparison video as well

Last edited:
Top Bottom