• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SATA Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo_ZX

I got an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe board - same shit as all the other A7N8X boards basically.

I have a 200GB SATA drive I want to use as 'master'
I have an 80GB IDE drive I want to use as a 'slave'

Problem is, whenever I try to setup Windows, whenever the IDE drive is plugged in, it takes precedence over the SATA drive. Any drive letters defined on the SATA drive are pushed down a letter to accomodate the IDE drive which always takes C:\

Is my only option to change the drive letter once Windows is loaded?

xsarien

daedsiluap
I don't have any experience with onboard SATA controllers, but any BIOS worth its salt will let you set boot device priority, so maybe you can force it that way.

Nos_G

You could try installing Windows with only the SATA drive on... then when everything is in working order, just plug in the IDE 'slave' and it should work.... in theory anyway. :p

Neo_ZX

Yeah probably but I hope it doesn't screw up all the drive letters. You can change the letter I guess so no big deal.

This is my first SATA setup too so I'm a bit confused. Took a while to find out you needed to press F6 for Windows to see it on setup.

golem

the best way is probably to do like nos_g says.. install with just the sata device plugged in, because if you want to change the drive letter of the boot partition after the install its a real hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom