• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scam Citizen is now free to play – for a week

Sentenza

Star Citizen shows the pure PC gamers mentality. They only supported it blindly so they can brag about a game not possible on consoles a decade ago. Current gen consoles surpassed that comfortably and the dream, or nightmare, game is still in alpha.
I can promise you with 100% confidence that you have absolutely no clue of what you are talking about.
On average consoles are so far removed from the concerns, interests or worries of the overwhelming majority of Star Citizen players, be it at entry level or megawhale-tier, that the mere mention of this specific bizarre angle (platform warring) makes you come off as a complete lunatic.

I can also guarantee you that if there was any other game attempting to do a fraction of what SC is aiming for right now, it would get support as well regardless of what platforms it would run on.

Last edited:

Belthazar

I don't dictate what others consider "reasonable" to do with their money. If someone wants to spend $40,000 to support the development of a game they care for, that's their prerogative, just as much as if they want to spend $20,000 on a watch while I spend $300, or $2 million for a car while I spend $10,000. Some people can afford luxuries I can't like they were peanuts, and I don't feel the need to paint them negatively out of simple envy.

You have to be pretty far down the rabbit hole to compare buying a car with buying digital crap that is mostly not even available for use yet (who knows if they'll ever be). But yeah, must be envy 🤣

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I can promise you with 100% confidence that you have absolutely no clue of what you are talking about.
On average consoles are so far removed from the concerns, interests or worries of the overwhelming majority of Star Citizen players, be it at entry level or megawhale-tier, that the mere mention of this specific bizarre angle (platform warring) makes you come off as a complete lunatic.

I can also guarantee you that if there was any other game attempting to do a fraction of what SC is aiming for right now, it would get support as well regardless of what platforms it would run on.

Would rather be clueless than a blind supporter of this mega scam project.

GymWolf

captain-america-old-man.gif

Woffls

Got a 3070 today so will give this a go; apologies to my 5820k in advance (not ordered cpu/mobo yet).

Hopefully this time I will be able to start a mission or something rather than just flying around looking at the control scheme.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The year is 2034. Everyone who typed "Scam Citizen" on the net has now been thrown in jail by Cloud Imperium Corp. Humanity now spends more time in Star Citizen than they do in the real world. Full release is only a few more years away.

No it's not. Crysis was graphically unmatched for years. Star citizen already looks dated and games with better graphics are out.
Oh look. Someone who doesn't know shit. Crysis wasn't only graphics but physics. Star citizen is pushing physics and graphics scale. But no, lets pretend only the graphics are everything. I'm no star citizen simp, but i damn well see what they're going for and it's nothing that's ever been seen and i can commend that.

JackSparr0w

Banned
Oh look. Someone who doesn't know shit. Crysis wasn't only graphics but physics. Star citizen is pushing physics and graphics scale. But no, lets pretend only the graphics are everything. I'm no star citizen simp, but i damn well see what they're going for and it's nothing that's ever been seen and i can commend that.
What physics is it pushing? There is no destructibility only scripted animations that break half of the time. Elite Dangerous did the scale thing first and it actually works smoothly and properly.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

I would suggest you expand your horizons if you haven’t seen the things that have been done already - by better and more talented developers who actually *released* their game and continue to build upon them. No Man’s Sky and Elite Dangerous 2 did everything Star Citizen tried to scam players into believing was possible, but actually made it possible.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Oh cool, sounds easier than I expected. I thought you'd have to grind for months or pay actual cash for a replacement.

For now some ships take 10 min, larger ships 45 min. In the future these things will change and some ships will then take hours to claim or maybe a day, like capital ships.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Star Citizen shows the pure PC gamers mentality. They only supported it blindly so they can brag about a game not possible on consoles a decade ago. Current gen consoles surpassed that comfortably and the dream, or nightmare, game is still in alpha.

Star Citizen is not a PC vs Console thing. It’s a passion project with a great community behind it. It not about a war between pc vs consoles, but to share the same love with other sci-fi fans.

I can even see SQ42 on the PS5 in the future. I know that a lot of devs are PS fans who i met.

What physics is it pushing? There is no destructibility only scripted animations that break half of the time. Elite Dangerous did the scale thing first and it actually works smoothly and properly.

Just go read up on star citizen and the tech behind it, instead of just waving everything away.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
This sounds like someone trying to convince themselves that they haven’t fallen for a scam. Its OK to admit you wasted your money and time, Abriael.

This sounds like someone trying to convince themselves they have the slightest idea of what they're talking about. It's ok to admit that you're completely ignorant on the topic.

Considering that I've been playing the alphas in a very enjoyable state for years (sandbox games are my thing), and I've invested less than a collector's edition of a game that would have provided me with a fraction of that enjoyment, my money was very well spent. Can't say the same about all the energy haters spent trying (and utterly failing) to bash this game. It ain't gonna go anywhere and it's only getting bigger. What makes people like you angry is that you can't do squat about it. Fake, mindless outrage sinks a lot of things nowadays, but it isn't sinking this. 😂

You have to be pretty down the rabbit hole to compare buying a car with buying digital crap that is mostly not even available for use yet (who knows if they'll ever be). But yeah, must be envy 🤣

You have to be pretty ignorant not to understand that money and things have a different value for different people. Digital items have had a tangible value for a ton of people for a long, long time. May want to get out of that basement and understand that not everyone has to share your values, once in a while.

Who gives a shit, it's $40.000, and thats fucking ludicrus.

If you don't give a shit about being provided false information by someone who doesn't know what he's writing about, the joke is on you.

I would suggest you expand your horizons if you haven’t seen the things that have been done already - by better and more talented developers who actually *released* their game and continue to build upon them. No Man’s Sky and Elite Dangerous 2 did everything Star Citizen tried to scam players into believing was possible, but actually made it possible.

Neither does what Star Citizen does. Not even close. No Man's Sky is entirely procedural, which means that while it's really clever, it also not nearly as interesting to explore and is a completely different experience from Star Citizen which has a lot of bespoke environments. It also doesn't have nearly a comparable level of fidelity. Elite Dangerous isn't even in the same galaxy in the fact that doesn't offer a seamless experience at all. Its developers recently tried to kind of imitate what Star Citizen does, and failed miserably (losing a ton of players TO Star Citizen) because they didn't take the time and invest the resources in creating the required tech.

Again, you've proven you don't have the slightest idea of what you're talking about. Try again. 😂

Last edited:

TheKratos

I just watched some gameplay vids and one of them was from jackfrags, I can't believe this game is from 2011, it looks current gen and the scale is unbelievable. I haven't played it myself but if someone told me it's actually fun I would believe it.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Oh cool, sounds easier than I expected. I thought you'd have to grind for months or pay actual cash for a replacement.

That's because it's Alpha.

As Per the FAQ

"Currently, on the Alpha and Public Test Universe (PTU), all ships and vehicles are given a basic insurance plan that does not expire to facilitate testing. At this time, it requires no upkeep or fee for players to acquire basic ship loss coverage. There may be a fee to file a claim or expedite a replacement, however."

So yes it will work just like that in future, depending on your insurance tier you will need to pay a portion of that cost to get your ship back, the bigger the ship the more expensive the insurance and the higher cost that percentage will be.

Of course long time sunk cost fallacy players always overlook that and take how it works now with there paid £120 etc ships is how it will work for regular players.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Who gives a shit, it's $40.000, and thats fucking ludicrus.

Who gives a shit, you’re not forced to buy it. I mean you’re not even gonna see the package. It’s only visible for higher tiers concierge members. I’m not even sure atm if i can see the package and i do not even care about it. And i’m 9 times concierge members. Well you might be able to guess what i’ve backed in SC.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
That's because it's Alpha.

As Per the FAQ

"Currently, on the Alpha and Public Test Universe (PTU), all ships and vehicles are given a basic insurance plan that does not expire to facilitate testing. At this time, it requires no upkeep or fee for players to acquire basic ship loss coverage. There may be a fee to file a claim or expedite a replacement, however."

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

So yes it will work just like that in future, depending on your insurance tier you will need to pay a portion of that cost to get your ship back, the bigger the ship the more expensive the insurance and the higher cost that percentage will be.

Of course long time sunk cost fallacy players always overlook that and take how it works now with there paid £120 etc ships is how it will work for regular players.

Insurance will always be affordable and the "depending on your insurance tier you will need to pay a portion of that cost to get your ship back" is simply false. That's to expedite the reclaim of the ship, not to get it back. And it's still a very small amount.

Better avoid talking out of the wrong orifice.

"Like in real-life, insurance should be a relatively small part of your regular in game expenses which will also include paying landing fees, trade tariffs (if in a system with lots of infrastructure and law and order), fuel (if you don’t collect it yourself from a gas giant), buying cargo to trade, hiring help, making upgrades to your ship or even buying a whole new ship."

Source: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/SCW/14282-API

The moment someone uses the "cost fallacy players" thing, you know they're basically bashing keys at random with their sausage fingers without knowing a thing about the game. 😂

These players are playing the game on the regular and following its development, so they know what they're talking about. They don't need you to tell them what they're "overlooking" because have much better visibility on the game than you do. It's actually amazing that I have to explain this.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member

for anyone with the ability to read taken directly from the FAQ again at

https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000093467-Ship-Insurance-FAQs

"There may be a fee to file a claim or expedite a replacement"

so not "just" to expedite a replacement

and as per this article

"What happens if I don’t have insurance?

Your character will have to buy a new ship with any credits he has, or if he doesn’t have enough credits fly missions for a third party (both NPC and player) until he’s earned enough to buy his own ship again."

it also mentions multiple insurance tiers directly for things like cargo etc there has not been an official update since then and the current FAQ from 2021 hasent been updated or contradict it, but who knows going forward its not like things have been rethought since then, like releasing a game.
enjoy.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
for anyone with the ability to read taken directly from the FAQ again at

https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000093467-Ship-Insurance-FAQs

"There may be a fee to file a claim or expedite a replacement"

so not "just" to expedite a replacement

and as per this article

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

"What happens if I don’t have insurance?

Your character will have to buy a new ship with any credits he has, or if he doesn’t have enough credits fly missions for a third party (both NPC and player) until he’s earned enough to buy his own ship again."

it also mentions multiple insurance tiers directly for things like cargo etc

enjoy.

What part of "a relatively small part of your regular in game expenses" don't you understand? It's not written in difficult words.

Albeit I imagine that considering the intellectual level of the average Star Citizen hater, they might be difficult for some. 🤔

And yes, of course you can refuse to pay for insurance. It's not mandatory. That paragraph simply warns you of the consequences and doesn't in any shape or form help your case, because you can pay for insurance and it's going to always be affordable.

Multiple insurance tiers for CARGO have nothing to do with getting your ship back. It's to insure your cargo IF you so want, like any transport company can do in the real world. If you get blown up in space while transporting stuff, and you didn't insure your cargo, the ship insurance gives you back your ship, but obviously not your cargo. That's what cargo insurance is for. And again, it doesn't in any shape or form help your case.

Like Jennings Jennings said, you won't have to grind to replace your ship if you lose it. You don't now, and you won't ever. You've tried to give them false information, and you've failed. Sorry not sorry.

Last edited:

JackSparr0w

Banned
Just go read up on star citizen and the tech behind it, instead of just waving everything away.
What do you want me to read man its a freakin video game. It has procedural generation along with some hands on touches, terrible flight model and gunplay, barebone physics, a dated graphics engine and some empty promises such as server meshing and persistence that might make it in eventually. Everything else that could make a video game special is just not there (lore, fun and varied mission design, player economy etc).

Last edited:

Ironbunny

Got a 3070 today so will give this a go; apologies to my 5820k in advance (not ordered cpu/mobo yet).

Hopefully this time I will be able to start a mission or something rather than just flying around looking at the control scheme.

The game itself aint that heavy. Its the server side slowness that causes it to run heavy.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
What do you want me to read man its a freakin video game. It has procedural generation along with some hands on touches, terrible flight model and gunplay, barebone physics, a dated graphics engine and some empty promises such as server meshing and persistence that might make it in eventually. Everything else that could make a video game special is just not there (lore, mission design, player economy etc).

Tell me you've never touched Star Citizen without telling me you've never touched Star Citizen. 😂

Filben

Before I spend time downloading it:

Does it have a story?
Can I build an empire and trade and fight?
How are frame times and micro stutter?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
What part of "a relatively small part of your regular in game expenses" don't you understand? It's not written in difficult words.

Albeit I imagine that considering the intellectual level of the average Star Citizen hater, they might be difficult for some. 🤔

And yes, of course you can refuse to pay for insurance. It's not mandatory. That paragraph simply warns you of the consequences and doesn't in any shape or form help your case, because you can pay for insurance and it's going to always be affordable.

Multiple insurance tiers for CARGO have nothing to do with getting your ship back. It's to insure your cargo IF you so want, like any transport company can do in the real world. If you get blown up in space while transporting stuff, and you didn't insure your cargo, the ship insurance gives you back your ship, but obviously not your cargo. That's what cargo insurance is for. And again, it doesn't in any shape or form help your case.

Insurance will always be affordable and the "depending on your insurance tier you will need to pay a portion of that cost to get your ship back" is simply false. That's to expedite the reclaim of the ship, not to get it back. And it's still a very small amount.

Better avoid talking out of the wrong orifice.

How to post like Abriael_GN

Step 1: Be mad
Step 2: constantly insult peoples intellect as that avoids combating the point
Step 3: Gaslight in an internet forum with viewable post history (make sure to restrict your own account to make sure its harder for people to call you out on it)
Step 4: :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Who gives a shit, you’re not forced to buy it. I mean you’re not even gonna see the package. It’s only visible for higher tiers concierge members. I’m not even sure atm if i can see the package and i do not even care about it. And i’m 9 times concierge members. Well you might be able to guess what i’ve backed in SC.
And that makes it good, somehow? 🤷‍♂️

Dr.Morris79

How to post like Abriael_GN

Step 1: Be mad
Step 2: constantly insult peoples intellect as that avoids combating the point
Step 3: Gaslight in an internet forum with viewable post history (make sure to restrict your own account to make sure its harder for people to call you out on it)
Step 4: :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
People love defending this shite :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Most sane people left the building six years ago.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Star Citizen is not a PC vs Console thing. It’s a passion project with a great community behind it. It not about a war between pc vs consoles, but to share the same love with other sci-fi fans.

I can even see SQ42 on the PS5 in the future. I know that a lot of devs are PS fans who i met.

Well, I was extremely excited about and my PC is pretty capable if I wanna play it. At its current state it appears to be just a massive scam. When things change, who knows, might give it a shot.

Laptop1991

I'm a PC gamer only player, and while it shows PC gamers do pay for stuff, i cannot support this for the obvious money maker it clearly is, i played all the space sims back in the day Freespace 1 and 2, X wing vs tie fighter, Wing commanders, and Privateer, but this game will never be released all the time it's making money, it's just like GTA Online and the money GTAO makes is the reason there is no GTA 6 and it's a long way off as well.

If it ever gets officially released i might give it a go.

kunonabi

I just watched some gameplay vids and one of them was from jackfrags, I can't believe this game is from 2011, it looks current gen and the scale is unbelievable. I haven't played it myself but if someone told me it's actually fun I would believe it.
The jackfrag videos are great. They would totally have sold me on the game if I had any chance in hell of getting a PC that could run it.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
$45 is all you have to spend to play the game. It's not a scam at all and has none of the bullshit that DI or other actual scam games have.

I am backer from the OG kickstarter that just never played the game until now. Have been playing for a month and it's the best $45 I have ever spent. Cant wait for the next 3 updates. It certainly playable, and hella enjoyable if you can get passed the occasional bugs. While CIG does seem to develop slowly they have massive patches that improve the game every quarter.

People calling this game a scam have no idea what they are talking about.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I don't dictate what others consider "reasonable" to do with their money. If someone wants to spend $40,000 to support the development of a game they care for, that's their prerogative, just as much as if they want to spend $20,000 on a watch while I spend $300, or $2 million for a car while I spend $10,000. Some people can afford luxuries I can't like they were peanuts, and I don't feel the need to paint them negatively out of simple envy.

Because we all know this is the point. People being able to spend $40,000 on a game grinds your gears because you're envious. Simple as that.

The point that you completely missed is that whoever wrote this article doesn't know what they're talking about, and the same can be said for you.

Really now? There isn't a single game on any platform that does what Star Citizen does, nor there will be one for the foreseeable future. Even Starfield doesn't get close.

They've been doing this type of event for years, several times a year.

It's funny that every year I hear people announcing to the world "this is the year in which Star Citizen declines!" and it turns out much bigger than the year before, which is exactly what this year is looking like. 😂
That's because most people never di thier research and just bandwagon hate. CIG is slow bit they are extremely transparent in the development with the game.
Back to the topic:

No idea why they decided to do another free flight so close to the previous one and on the same update, too. Especially with a new patch allegedly around the corner.
It's even more puzzling, because 3.17.1 has NOT been a good patch in terms of stability, so not exactly good advertising material.
The dragonfly LTI token just netted them a shit load of more cash. That is why, they know their whales...lol.

ManaByte

Gold Member
There is no way in hell either of the current consoles could run this game. You still need an absolute top of the line PC running a Gen4 SSD, tons of RAM, and a high end GPU just to run it smoothly.
Hey Rivet Rivet what’s so funny about this? It’s true. The game is still taxing to a top of the line PC. Neither $500 console can run the game as it exists on PC. Any console port would have to be drastically pared down.

Your system must have over 16GB of ram for this game to avoid heavy stutters. You will still get them in largest hubs though, for now at least.

Top Bottom