• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scam Citizen is now free to play – for a week

Sentenza

We had dozens of PCMR idiots on here boasting about Star Citizen over the years so it looks like you're the one ignoring things here. Use the search function if in doubt.
Rivet, you are quite possibly the dumbest. most insufferable user I spotted so far on this forum. And NOT for the lack of competition, because holy fucking Christ if it doesn't feel like mental retardation is being passed on as an airborne infection sometimes around here.
ALL you post about is inane platform warring drivel and an incessant spam of retarded reactions.

You pledged your loyalty to your lords and saviors at Sony, but that should remain just your problem. This idiotic obsession you have with "PCMR scoundrels ambushing you" or all the bashing you do every time a Microsoft-something topic comes up is really fucking unhealthy.
I've never witnessed you making any legitimate point about anything or having a sensible opinion on any argument that it wasn't about sucking up Sony and bashing other platforms.

With this side note out of the way, you can stop pretending that you have the faintest clue of what you are talking about here.
You have neither familiarity with how Star Citizen works, nor first hand experience with it.
You can't even comment properly on his factual failures so far, because once again you are way out of your comfort zone here.

Last edited:

JackSparr0w

Banned
We had dozens of PCMR idiots on here boasting about Star Citizen over the years so it looks like you're the one ignoring things here. Use the search function if in doubt.

Thing is it's one of the only AAA made only for PC so of course they use it as ammo, as dumb as it is.
Star citizen has been made fun of by PC gamers before console kids were even aware it exists.

You're struggling to deal with the fact that PC is the only platform that still has tons of exclusives so I'll cut you some slack. Anything Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo makes right way or eventually is playable on PC.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Lowering the settings does NOT improve performances to any degree (with the possible sole exception of volumetric clouds).
In fact it's better to keep them maxed, since lower settings move the load for some calculations from the GPU to the CPU.
I turned off the grain and ca, possibly something else too, and the stutter definitely became less severe. But maybe it was just a server load or loading into memory thing then? I never tried going back to the initial settings.

Jesus, you people really live in fear. It's not that type of game.
You just got a small sanction in in-game credits for occupying an unauthorized pad.
Just a joke, calm down 😉 they don’t have my credit card numbers, free to play remember

One thing I gathered from your summary is that at no point you opened your "quest log" (mobiglass), accepted and attempted to do a mission.
True, but that’s how I roll, I always play around for a bit and explore before going into the structured stuff with a map marker and instructions.

I thought it was cool that they let me go off on my own to a planet I chose at random and land at any spot.

I just miss something to do on the planet but that sounds like I lacked some gear. Can you upgrade the multi tool to mine stuff? And how do I find stuff to mine? can you scan for resources like in NMS? I saw nothing except that plant with teeth I couldn’t do anything with.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
There are enough knee-jerk insults in this thread to make a new Monkey Island game. May I suggest a relief SC thread where people are free to air their random regurgitated frustrations and then try to keep other SC news threads fairly moderated?

Last edited:

Fredrik

There are enough knee-jerk insults in this thread to make a new Monkey Island game. May I suggest a relief SC thread where people are free to air their random regurgitated frustrations and then try to keep other SC news threads fairly moderated?
You think fans would keep away from the frustration thread?
It’ll just get people banned for getting emotional and having an interest. Let people get emotional. No emotions, no interest, no interest, no talks.

Metnut

Do the most expensive ships provide any advantage in gameplay? If not, I’ll give this a shot. If so, then this is pay to win and I’ll be skipping this.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Star Citizen is an MMO [you know the thing that is meant to be played with buddies]

What you're probably looking for is SQ42 which will be an epic multipart SP game in that universe.

Bo_Hazem watching that post:

6mbwv6.jpg

For real though, anyone tried it?

Topher

Gold Member
A lot of the money doesn’t go toward the game itself. That was known back in the first/second year when they all bought mansions and expensive cars.

Really? I'm trying to find an article about that, but the only thing I'm coming up with is some controversy about Chris Roberts buying a mansion in 2019.

Fredrik

Do the most expensive ships provide any advantage in gameplay? If not, I’ll give this a shot. If so, then this is pay to win and I’ll be skipping this.
I think we’re looking at starcruiser type of ships for the most expensive ones. I doubt the cheap lil one man vessle I rented would stand a chance in a firefight, or even scrath the paint.

bitbydeath

Really? I'm trying to find an article about that, but the only thing I'm coming up with is some controversy about Chris Roberts buying a mansion in 2019.
He bought another one in 2014/2015.
There are detailed statements suggesting that Chris Roberts and his wife bought their Pacific Palisades mansion using company funds.

Topher

Gold Member
He bought another one in 2014/2015.

This is weird. The 2019 Forbes article tells a different story:

" In September 2018, the Roberts Family Trust, with Gardiner as its trustee, purchased a house for $4.7 million in L.A.’s Pacific Palisades neighborhood. Prior to that, Roberts had been renting. Roberts says he sold his Hollywood house in 2007 because he wanted to experience living near the ocean. He then rented for ten years because he wasn’t sure if he would like it or stay in L.A. long-term. "

So obviously that isn't right if Forbes is making allegations about the purchase in 2015, but then again we are talking about Forbes.

But you said "they all bought mansions and expensive cars" which implies a lot more than just Chris Roberts. I'm not seeing anything reported about that.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
How many SC gamers spent "upwards of $500"? Where is this coming from?

So at 2020 Star Citizen said they had 720k backers, in 2021 they said they had rasied 400 million from backers.

So that means that let's add say anouther 80k backers to make it 800k over the year that equals $500 average.

Yes yes I know whales and what not, but that also means there will be a fair few very invested people well over the $500 mark, and as you would expect they are quite opinionated on the subject. You also have the industry dolphins that spend alongside whales to make up for the low spend of minnows.

marine-mix.png

In other words your looking at between 20-30% of players being above $500 if your following the "whales" formula. Their going to be on GAF too, and I bet you a 100i that some people in this thread would stop talking so much shit to critics if they had their pledges revealed.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
No point in me playing right now. They are wiping soon. Buh Bye Cutlass...Bye Vanguard Sentinel...see ya MISC Prospector, Arrow. I'mma miss yous guys.

Topher

Gold Member
So at 2020 Star Citizen said they had 720k backers, in 2021 they said they had rasied 400 million from backers.

So that means that let's add say anouther 80k backers to make it 800k over the year that equals $500 average.

Yes yes I know whales and what not, but that also means there will be a fair few very invested people well over the $500 mark, and as you would expect they are quite opinionated on the subject. You also have the industry dolphins that spend alongside whales to make up for the low spend of minnows.

marine-mix.png

In other words your looking at between 20-30% of players being above $500 if your following the "whales" formula. Their going to be on GAF too, and I bet you a 100i that some people in this thread would stop talking so much shit to critics if they had their pledges revealed.

Ok, but there are "backers" who are part of the crowd-funding and then there others (like myself) who simply bought the game. I'm not sure your numbers reflect that.

Edit: For example, the SC website says there are 3,981,822 "citizens". So only 800k of nearly four million are "backers". Seems to me there are probably a lot more people like myself who simply bought the game versus those who are actively apart of the crowd-funding.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Edit: For example, the SC website says there are 3,981,822 "citizens". So only 800k of nearly four million are "backers". Seems to me there are probably a lot more people like myself who simply bought the game versus those who are actively apart of the crowd-funding.
You are absolutely right.
I don't know why everyone seems to be under the delusion that the majority (or even just a significant portion) of SC user base would be big spenders.

And for context (not to mention to put things in perspective) freaking Genshin Impact makes in a year four times the amount SC collected in 10 years of purchases, pledges and what else.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Ok, but there are "backers" who are part of the crowd-funding and then there others (like myself) who simply bought the game. I'm not sure your numbers reflect that.

Ok so lets go with the recorded numbers then and do some maths based on numbers supplied here in 2021.

now thats £400,000,000 to 3.3 million "backers" taken from the website at the time, ok

lets assume everyone bought the smallest pack like yourself ok? sound good? that would be 45$ so lets see 3.3 million x 45$ = $148,000,000

my that a deficit in raised funds of $252,000,000, can you see where this is going yet? some people have to spend drastically more to cover up the short fall, you would need people to spend over $100 on average to make up for that, but like you said if "most" arnt doing that its up to the dolphins and whales to make up over half the cost and that's what happens, and we start getting the sunk cost fallacy as people have invested more than the price of a AAA game with season pass over 10 years to have it go poof.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

$40k for a ship? Which bank finances that purchase? Or, does Chris pull the cash out his ass to finance so he gets +interest?

MiguelItUp

I still can't believe the game is overflowing with bugs related to new content. I caught LIRIK streaming it a few times a month or so ago, and the amount of times sound bugged, or he fell through the environment was very high, lol. There were a lot of other visual bugs too. Just crazy to think that they've made as much money as they have yet they slug through development.

Topher

Gold Member
Ok so lets go with the recorded numbers then and do some maths based on numbers supplied here in 2021.

now thats £400,000,000 to 3.3 million "backers" taken from the website at the time, ok

lets assume everyone bought the smallest pack like yourself ok? sound good? that would be 45$ so lets see 3.3 million x 45$ = $148,000,000

my that a deficit in raised funds of £252,000,000, can you see where this is going yet? some people have to spend drastically more to cover up the short fall, you would need people to spend over $100 on average to make up for that, but like you said if "most" arnt doing that its up to the dolphins and whales to make up over half the cost and that's what happens, and we start getting the sunk cost fallacy as people have invested more than the price of a AAA game with season pass over 10 years to have it go poof.

Ok, but we still have to make the distinction between someone backing the game and simply buying the game. Not all of that 3.3 million are backers as you said before it was calculated that there were 720k backers in 2020. So, to your point, it does seem that what we are seeing here is a majority of the funding is coming from a minority of SC gamers.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Ok, but we still have to make the distinction between someone backing the game and simply buying the game. Not all of that 3.3 million are backers as you said before it was calculated that there were 720k backers in 2020. So, to your point, it does seem that what we are seeing here is a majority of the funding is coming from a minority of SC gamers.
Of course it's a minority but it's not going to be this 1 in every 100 people kind of deal, its going to be much much higher given the amounts and drives over the years. Because even with 2% spending over $2000 and yes I know there are super whales, your going to need a significant amount of middle spending still to make up the short fall in that 20-30% of people range.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo Hazem is spouting bullshit and so are you. I don't know what kind of brain worm made you people so obsessed with console warring, but it plays literally no part on the GROWING popularity of Star Citizen.
And said popularity is not growing by chance, either. It's because despise all the feature creep, the dragged feet and the endless delays the game is in fact maturing and improving over time, resembling more and more something playable at each update.

You'd have to be a special kind of moron (or worse, your average forum Rivet Rivet ) to think that only because you can type a stupid sentence in a smug tone you are making a legitimate point.

Expectations

Happy GIF

Reality

9dc.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
Of course it's a minority but it's not going to be this 1 in every 100 people kind of deal, its going to be much much higher given the amounts and drives over the years. Because even with 2% spending over $2000 and yes I know there are super whales, your going to need a significant amount of middle spending still to make up the short fall in that 20-30% if people range.

No, I never said the ratio was close to 1 in 100. But I agree 30% or so being backers isn't telling the whole story. We know there are different levels of "whales" or "concierge" for those who spend over $1000 to over $25000 in-game. But we don't know the typical spending levels of regular game buyers or how many made a one-time purchase and that was all.

yamaci17

Bo_Hazem watching that post:

6mbwv6.jpg

For real though, anyone tried it?
stutters here and there but nothing game breaking. my 16 gb ram endures.... somehow. 3070 seems capable for the game, pushing something like 1440p/40-60. dunno. not so much sweat on that front. i've yet to find my own ship i'm just in a place called lorsville or something and i got hit by a train...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Rivet, you are quite possibly the dumbest. most insufferable user I spotted so far on this forum. And NOT for the lack of competition, because holy fucking Christ if it doesn't feel like mental retardation is being passed on as an airborne infection sometimes around here.
ALL you post about is inane platform warring drivel and an incessant spam of retarded reactions.

You pledged your loyalty to your lords and saviors at Sony, but that should remain just your problem. This idiotic obsession you have with "PCMR scoundrels ambushing you" or all the bashing you do every time a Microsoft-something topic comes up is really fucking unhealthy.
I've never witnessed you making any legitimate point about anything or having a sensible opinion on any argument that it wasn't about sucking up Sony and bashing other platforms.

With this side note out of the way, you can stop pretending that you have the faintest clue of what you are talking about here.
You have neither familiarity with how Star Citizen works, nor first hand experience with it.
You can't even comment properly on his factual failures so far, because once again you are way out of your comfort zone here.

While I agree with everything that you said in regards to console warriors… you don’t see the irony in your post? You are just as bad of a shill for Scam Citizen.

Fredrik

aTDBElR.jpg

Been playing some more today. Woke up in this crib. I like the interactions, you can open all kinds of small storage compartments here. Am I supposed to use this? Is it my place?
Seems like I’ve lost my gun and multi tool and med stuff from my inventory since the last time. Tried leaving some crap in a drawer to see if it’s reset next time I wake up.

I have to say, it’s really complex. There are guides on youtube but that’s not convenient. It’s really hard to get into, it’s a problem. Those who do get into it are mega fans, or even investers, who only talk about the positives. The rest are scared away early or ridiculed by the fans. Creates a hyped up bubble about how the game is that might not be all true for everyone, if you get what I’m saying. Git gud in space games.

This is the flight keys btw…
G0MeuFM.jpg

I’ve used WASD, Q, E, B, Tab, C, ctrl, space, shift, U, N, F2, mouse so far.

Some 1080p screens
mRwK5Mc.jpg

p3t3N5R.jpg

YvIGlGF.jpg

jyvUOUu.jpg

84cf9Ve.jpg

kHDxG3j.jpg

Today’s adventure, I got a new ship and attempted to do a mission where I was requested to pick up some things, and I could sell whatever I found. Sounded like a good plan to earn some money. But I crashed on yet another new planet and was back in the medic. More money lost and yet no income. Getting some roguelike-vibes here…

Last edited:

Sentenza

While I agree with everything that you said in regards to console warriors… you don’t see the irony in your post? You are just as bad of a shill for Scam Citizen.
How? Just because you are stating something boldly it doesn't become magically true.

Ironically enough in my sparse activity on the Star Citizen subreddit I'm occasionally blamed to be a "hater" because I never spared this entire production a shitload of criticism.
I talk shit about the broken mechanics, I shit on a regular basis on the dragged development and how the "great improvement that will change everything" seems to be constantly few months ahead, I shit on the delayed features that drag for seasons or years, I shit on the lacking variety of content offered so far, I question on a regular basis if some of the technical achievements they are promising are even possible at all, I have scathing things to say about parts of the UI, I mock the subreddit white knights in 50% of the my posts there, etc, etc.

But I criticize real issues, I don't make up idiotic shit like "OMG THIS IS A SCAM ANYONE PLAYING IT IS A FOOL THE GAME DOES NOT EVEN EXISTSAND YOU NEED TO SPEND 20 MILLIONS TO GET IN" because I know what the fuck I'm talking about here, I have a finger on the pulse, I don't go around spreading hearsay or reacting at sensation.

Last edited:

Rivet

I see I struck a nerve here, looks like you took it personally for some reason. I don't give a fuck what you think about me.

If you want to debate about Star Citizen I explained why it's a bad thing for the industry, and why it's a scam. They're mostly selling dreams since they never release the game. They do it on purpose. And they're selling outrageously priced packages. All those things are bad, that's a fact.

If you don't want to debate or you can't handle people disagreeing with you, then you're free to go elsewhere. Here it's a thread about Star Citizen.

I play both on PC and consoles, and this thread has nothing to do with Sony, so I'm not sure why you're going there.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Lol what a ludicrously silly headline. It's like free flight weeks much bigger than this (in which you can fly ALL the ships) don't happen very regularly.

Also this is hilarious.

The Legatus PACK is not a ship model. There's no ship called Legatus. It's literally a package including all the ships. It's always hilarious when a writer obviously doesn't know what he's writing about, which in Star Citizen's case is also very common. 😂
I think it's the 40,000 bit that should be focused on. Whatever you get, the fact that you can spend that much in this game is awful.

Rivet

How? Just because you are stating something boldly it doesn't become magically true.

Ironically enough in my sparse activity on the Star Citizen subreddit I'm occasionally blamed to be a "hater" because I never spared this entire production a shitload of criticism.
I talk shit about the broken mechanics, I shit on a regular basis on the dragged development and how the "great improvement that will change everything" seems to be constantly few months ahead, I shit on the delayed features that drag for seasons or years, I shit on the lacking variety of content offered so far, I question on a regular basis if some of the technical achievements they are promising are even possible at all, I have scathing things to say about parts of the UI, I mock the subreddit white knights in 50% of the my posts there, etc, etc.

But I criticize real issues, I don't make up idiotic shit like "OMG THIS IS A SCAM ANYONE PLAYING IT IS A FOOL THE GAME DOES NOT EVEN EXISTSAND YOU NEED TO SPEND 20 MILLIONS TO GET IN" because I know what the fuck I'm talking about here, I have a finger on the pulse, I don't go around spreading hearsay or reacting at sensation.

Good, now you're half way towards understanding it's a scam. Keep on improving.

For a guy who isn't getting scammed and isn't a cult member, you certainly look angry. Maybe calm down and go for a walk.

Last edited:
aTDBElR.jpg

Been playing some more today. Woke up in this crib. I like the interactions, you can open all kinds of small storage compartments here. Am I supposed to use this? Is it my place?
Seems like I’ve lost my gun and multi tool and med stuff from my inventory since the last time. Tried leaving some crap in a drawer to see if it’s reset next time I wake up.

I have to say, it’s really complex. There are guides on youtube but that’s not convenient. It’s really hard to get into, it’s a problem. Those who do get into it are mega fans, or even investers, who only talk about the positives. The rest are scared away early or ridiculed by the fans. Creates a hyped up bubble about how the game is that might not be all true for everyone, if you get what I’m saying. Git gud in space games.

This is the flight keys btw…
G0MeuFM.jpg

I’ve used WASD, Q, E, B, Tab, C, ctrl, space, shift, U, N, F2, mouse so far.

Some 1080p screens
mRwK5Mc.jpg

p3t3N5R.jpg

YvIGlGF.jpg

jyvUOUu.jpg

84cf9Ve.jpg

kHDxG3j.jpg

Today’s adventure, I got a new ship and attempted to do a mission where I was requested to pick up some things, and I could sell whatever I found. Sounded like a good plan to earn some money. But I crashed on yet another new planet and was back in the medic. More money lost and yet no income. Getting some roguelike-vibes here…

You've got to try mining:

a) least profitable on foot with a multitool [buy it in a shop or ref],
b) little on land vehicle called ROC [rent it in refinery + rent an Cutlass Black to store that little Roc miner in it] >> ROC mining
c) on a moon or mining belt with small mining ship Prospector [rent in ref] >> Prospector mining [prob most convenient way, but little less prof than with a Mole]
d) 3 person multicrew miner MOLE [you can mine lonewolf with it too. [It has 3 lasers instead of one like Prospector, so configure one for easy cracking 8K rocks, another laser for effortless cracking little pieces of volatiles and last laser configured for collection] I like this the most.

Sentenza

Dr. Claus Dr. Claus also, at what point did you see me advocating for people to buy the game or spend any amount of money on it, exactly?
Do you even know what a shill is?
I see I struck a nerve here, looks like you took it personally for some reason. I don't give a fuck what you think about me.

If you want to debate about Star Citizen I explained why it's a bad thing for the industry, and why it's a scam. They're mostly selling dreams since they never release the game. They do it on purpose. And they're selling outrageously priced packages. All those things are bad, that's a fact.

If you don't want to debate or you can't handle people disagreeing with you, then you're free to go elsewhere. Here it's a thread about Star Citizen.

I play both on PC and consoles, and this thread has nothing to do with Sony, so I'm not sure why you're going there.
No, you didn’t “struck a nerve”. You’ve been relentlessly obnoxious for ages.

Fredrik

I think it's the 40,000 bit that should be focused on. Whatever you get, the fact that you can spend that much in this game is awful.
Seems like it’s essentially an all-ship pack
x6GFxn4.jpg

It’s kinda like adding all cost of everything you can buy in Call of Duty.

The real trigger for me is how easy it is to spend or lose the in-game money. And from what I understand you have to work unloading cargo or sit as a bystander behind a gun or whatever on someone else’s ship to earn money if you’re out of money.
It’s a game breaker imo. I don’t play a space game to essentially end up as a NPC. And they get no real money from me for in-game money judging by what I’ve played so far.

Madonis

I still continue to think this is little more than a shiny, elaborate tech demo and not a fully functional game.

And almost certainly an extended scam, or at least half of one, but you would all know that already.

Last edited:

Fredrik

You've got to try mining:

a) least profitable on foot with a multitool [buy it in a shop or ref],
b) little on land vehicle called ROC [rent it in refinery + rent an Cutlass Black to store that little Roc miner in it] >> ROC mining
c) on a moon or mining belt with small mining ship Prospector [rent in ref] >> Prospector mining [prob most convenient way, but little less prof than with a Mole]
d) 3 person multicrew miner MOLE [you can mine lonewolf with it too. [It has 3 lasers instead of one like Prospector, so configure one for easy cracking 8K rocks, another laser for effortless cracking little pieces of volatiles and last laser configured for collection] I like this the most.
I already bought a multi tool but it’s gone now unless it’s filtered out in the inventory or something.
What do I lose when I die?

But okay I’ll give it a go. I want to see what the gameplay loop is like without being part of a crew before I drop it. So far I’ve lost/spent about 11,000 UEC. No income.

I already bought a multi tool but it’s gone now unless it’s filtered out in the inventory or something.

But okay I’ll give it a go. I want to see what the gameplay loop is like without being part of a crew before I drop it. So far I’ve lost/spent about 11,000 UEC. No income.
You can simply ask in chat for few mill for Prospector - I have no doubt someone will transfer it to you. Have fun

Sentenza

What you lose is, in fact, absolute Pennie’s compared to what you can make per hour. The issue is more the time sink of doing the rounds re-purchasing stuff if you don’t have a backup ready.

Also, my personal advice would be to do bunker missions. It’s a great way to make money AND get extra equipment in the process. And unlike ship to ship combat all it takes is having a fps weapon and some ammo.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
A lot of the money doesn’t go toward the game itself. That was known back in the first/second year when they all bought mansions and expensive cars.
I understand with crowd sourcing people are more likely to feel conned when this happens, but this basically happens with every game, it's just obfuscated.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I understand with crowd sourcing people are more likely to feel conned when this happens, but this basically happens with every game, it's just obfuscated.
This "Alpha" is every dev ultimate addiction hype cycle dream because whales and other people putting money more than ever chasing that false fantasy of an actual full released good game. It is also the perfect defense for the game. You can't criticize the game, it is an Alpha they'll say.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
No point in me playing right now. They are wiping soon. Buh Bye Cutlass...Bye Vanguard Sentinel...see ya MISC Prospector, Arrow. I'mma miss yous guys.

This would’ve happen eventually before server meshing. And they can do it, since it’s aUEC and not UEC. If you participated during the events like Jumptown, Nine tails lockdown or the one at Orison, Then they will compensate you once 3.17.2 goes live.

I have around 1.5 million UEC, and i go back to 200k i do not bother since i have a lot of items in my inventory, i only have to buy some ammo and meds. Everything you find in loot crated will carry over. Only consumables and ammo won’t but that’s not really a problem. Go loot some outposts, they have a lot of loot crates with weapons, armor or even other stuff. Leave it in the outpost inventory (not in the crates) and eventually it will go to your global inventory when 3.17.2 is live. That means you do not have to transport the items, and sell what you want later or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom