• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEE celebrates SingStar's success (has 3 rookies of the year awards in a row?)

Not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but they seem to be stating that:

a) Getway 5.8M units- biggest new IP introduced in 2002
b) EyeToy 2.5M units - biggest new IP introduced in 2003
c) Singstar 2M units - biggest new IP in 2004

Not sure how they're measuring this as I'm pretty sure that Splinter Cell (2002) has got to be up near or above 5.8M units (over 3 games on a ton of platforms). Maybe they're knocking it for also being part of the Tom Clancy universe. Probably, they're just talking about the PS2 platform.

In any case, I didn't realize how successful these new "IP's" were. Although, they're certainly not titles that you'd put out there as platform leading franchises.

London, July 15, 2005 – With sales of the SingStar™ series passing the two million mark, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) has succeeded in establishing another hugely popular series for PlayStation®2. Created by SCEE’s London Studio, SingStar was 2004’s most successful new franchise in Europe, following in the path of runaway hits such as the EyeToy® franchise (biggest new IP in 2003 selling 4.5 million units to date) and The Getaway™ series (biggest new IP in 2002 selling 5.8 million units to date).

“The tremendous success of SingStar reflects our commitment to innovation and broadening the appeal of computer entertainment”, said Phil Harrison, executive vice president, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. “For the third year running, SCEE's London Studios have introduced another massive international hit".

“We have been overwhelmed by how warmly SingStar has been received by the music industry,” said Sergio Pimentel, music licensing and A&R manager, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. “We have licensed more than 250 songs for the SingStar series to date, and we would like to thank all of the record companies and music publishers for their massive contribution to the success of the games.”

Making its debut in May 2004, the original SingStar added another dimension to SCEE’s PlayStation 2 catalogue. The innovative new party game invited players to step into the spotlight and exercise their vocal chords in an engaging, social experience that appealed to all ages. SingStar’s groundbreaking technology delivered a gameplay experience that went far beyond traditional karaoke, analysing the players’ vocal skills, based on their pitch, tone and rhythm as they sang into the USB microphones.

The SingStar series is known for its expansive track list, featuring original artist recordings of a wide variety of well-known songs from world-class acts, along with the original videos for all songs where available. Building on the concept of the first game, SingStar Party was release in November 2004 with a whole new track list and a wide variety of new multiplayer game modes for between two and eight players, including a competitive Duet Mode. The latest edition, SingStar Pop, was released last month to critical acclaim and an ‘80s version is currently in the works.

SingStar comes with two microphones that plug into PlayStation 2 via a USB adapter, offering an instant multi-play experience. In addition, the game is EyeToy compatible, allowing players to actually see themselves singing within the game.

In addition to releasing international versions, the SingStar series has been localised to feature content from a variety of countries including France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Sweden, Norway and Australia.

Argyle

Go SingStar! SingStar rocks :)

I bet they're only counting sales on PS2, sonycowboy, so that's how they're doing their rankings...

ram

monchi-kun said:
I wonder why they never bothered to release Sing Star here? Are all the tracks Euro-centric?

usa: karaoke revolution

europe: singstar

ok, konami released karaoke stage now, but with years of delay and NOT in germany and italy. once, i asked the european konami boss about this and he answered, that they gotten bit licensing problems with sony. its clear, that sony did not want any real competiton.

MadFuzzy

johnjohnson said:
Please be true! Please be true! And please gimme more Spandau Ballet!

From what I've heard it is on the way, and will be GRATE. Looking forward to the final tracklisting. I guess it's too much hassle to license the music for the US/do dedicated US versions when the team has to do at least 5 different localised versions per title for the PAL market. Or SCEA just doesn't think it'll sell of course, which is much more likely.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
In addition to releasing international versions, the SingStar series has been localised to feature content from a variety of countries including France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Sweden, Norway and Australia.

Holy shat, I had no idea. Time to finally pick up Singstar along with the Swedish Hits version! Neighbours am cry!!! :lol

Top Bottom